D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by HWY_MAN
Originally Posted by rickym
Originally Posted by redchevy
It never ceases to amaze me how I can be sitting in a deer blind in my coveralls freezing my rear end off ice all over and see a tiny bird bopping around out the window that cant weigh more than a few ounces weathering the storm with nothing but what it has all day every day all year. I'd freeze to death in it if I had to be naked as a jay bird out in it, yet this frail bird keeps on a trucking.

Mother nature is a harsh b$&% and wild critters are use to dealing with her.

Makes you wonder if humans really have a handle on this thing called life?!

When you look at how long we've been around and the environments we not just lived in but thrived, I'd say we have a better handle on it than any other species.

That is probably true to a certain extent. But what happens when the electricity stops? When the gas stops? Then we shall see who has the better handle on life.

Re: How many .... [Re: txtrophy85] #8166340 02/12/21 01:25 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
We’ve only had electricity and gas for the last 100 or so years.

A lot of people still don’t have electricity and gas.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: How many .... [Re: txtrophy85] #8166361 02/12/21 01:39 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

So true brother

But it's amazing just how hot the small wood stove can get our house with just a few small pieces of dried mesquite! up

As far as the animals go, I think most of the native species here will be just fine for the most part. Sure, some of the old and or sick will certainly die from temps in the single digits but it will not be many.

My app is showing Corpus to be 20 Monday morning with a high of 33. I don't see that being an issue for the trout because there is no way 20 is going to freeze anything over in the bays.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: How many .... [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #8166406 02/12/21 01:55 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS

So true brother

But it's amazing just how hot the small wood stove can get our house with just a few small pieces of dried mesquite! up

As far as the animals go, I think most of the native species here will be just fine for the most part. Sure, some of the old and or sick will certainly die from temps in the single digits but it will not be many.

My app is showing Corpus to be 20 Monday morning with a high of 33. I don't see that being an issue for the trout because there is no way 20 is going to freeze anything over in the bays.

I don’t know, I’ve seen a few winter die offs with less, if they can’t find a deep hole it’s seems like they don’t fare well

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: How many .... [Re: txtrophy85] #8166427 02/12/21 02:13 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Many will be weakened for lack of food and drinkable water, near single digits may be the coup de grâce

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: How many .... [Re: txtrophy85] #8166432 02/12/21 02:16 PM
T
TexFlip Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: How many .... [Re: txtrophy85] #8166441 02/12/21 02:24 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
That is true but folks back then had a better handle on how to do without. What do you think would happen now if all of a sudden electricity quit. Gas both natural and at the pump stopped? for the vast majority it would not be very good. People, especially in the cities have no idea how to take care of themselves if things got to that point and the government was not there to help them.

Re: How many .... [Re: don k] #8166443 02/12/21 02:25 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
But what happens when the electricity stops? When the gas stops?

You build a fire and you walk, just like we did for thousands of years. It's amazing just how little a person needs to simply survive, native Americans didn't even have horses until the 1500's. Their ancestors crossed continents on foot.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: How many .... [Re: Western] #8166466 02/12/21 02:39 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Western
Many will be weakened for lack of food and drinkable water, near single digits may be the coup de grâce

Calling for a low of 5 degrees here Monday!

Re: How many .... [Re: HWY_MAN] #8166468 02/12/21 02:39 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

You build a fire and you walk, just like we did for thousands of years. It's amazing just how little a person needs to simply survive, native Americans didn't even have horses until the 1500's. Their ancestors crossed continents on foot.

And how many you think could do that now? What percentage do you think would make one year?

Re: How many .... [Re: don k] #8166477 02/12/21 02:42 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by don k
That is true but folks back then had a better handle on how to do without. What do you think would happen now if all of a sudden electricity quit. Gas both natural and at the pump stopped? for the vast majority it would not be very good. People, especially in the cities have no idea how to take care of themselves if things got to that point and the government was not there to help them.

People are a lot more adaptable than you think. Most wouldn't just roll over and die. Some would have a hard time for awhile but then they would figure it out.

You are not giving the Human race near enough credit

Re: How many .... [Re: txtrophy85] #8166481 02/12/21 02:45 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

People are a lot more adaptable than you think. Most wouldn't just roll over and die. Some would have a hard time for awhile but then they would figure it out.

Tide pods? Bath salts? Antifa?

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: How many .... [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8166485 02/12/21 02:48 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

haha, but what percentage of people are doing that, really? maybe .001% of american kids?

Its no better than your generation that was smoking the marijuana cigarettes and putting babies in the oven......

Re: How many .... [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8166487 02/12/21 02:51 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M

People today could not walk across America, because they would not have their phones GPS to tell them where to go.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: How many .... [Re: don k] #8166504 02/12/21 03:07 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

And how many you think could do that now? What percentage do you think would make one year?

Obviously far more than you do, there are things within out DNA many will never know until they're in the situation that calls for it. We are not the dominate species on this rock because we lack survival instincts.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: How many .... [Re: txtrophy85] #8166530 02/12/21 03:22 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

haha, but what percentage of people are doing that, really? maybe .001% of american kids?

Its no better than your generation that was smoking the marijuana cigarettes and putting babies in the oven......

Intercity will go cannibalisitic with in 60days of lights going off.

What percentage of Americans can even use a compass and map to find where they are much less where they are going. Survival and staying human are two different things.

It’s 50/50, but the large cities will become slaves to their stomachs instead of humanity and rational thought. It will become Darwinism by force

I just read an article about National Forests being racist.....

Re: How many .... [Re: txtrophy85] #8166545 02/12/21 03:30 PM
K
kphilli66 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
How did this go from animal die off's due to really cold weather, to humans being fat, lazy, inept, unable to survive cold. The only one's that are outside are the homeless, and some of those want to be outside instead of in a shelter. I just hope the jumbo 747 sized mosquitos get taken out from the cold wet weather.

Re: How many .... [Re: txtrophy85] #8166546 02/12/21 03:30 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

Actually I think you are giving them too much credit. I have been all over the world. I think the US and probably most of Eastern Europe would have the roughest time. Africa, India and some of the Mid Eastern Countries would probably come out alright.

Re: How many .... [Re: txtrophy85] #8166558 02/12/21 03:36 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
The weak will have a difficult time for the next week. Those most effected will be the young or the really old of any species. Areas that had rain in early Jan and had a green up of winter growth will do better than those dry areas. The first week of March in 1996 we had an ice storm for 3 days straight in the Hill Country. We had all kinds of exotics and native wildlife on the ranch. Kudu, Addax, Scimitar Horn Oryx, Gemsbok, Pere David Deer, Red Sheep, Ellipsis Water Buck, Black Buck, Axis and Fallow for exotics. The Pere David would swim to pond instead of walking around it. The only two species that had a difficult time were the younger Black Bucks and Axis fawns(fawning season for that herd was Jan-end of March). I remember finding one younger Black Buck and a lot of new Axis fawns dead or close to it. We were able to save about 15-20 Axis fawns but lost way more. None of the other species, native or exotic had death losses that I know of. The key was winter thermal cover for the animals in the pasture and same in breeding pastures(along with sheds). I put out extra corn along with protein and hay for those days. The animals all used round bales as bedding, food and cover from the weather. Most hunters and landowners have some type of feeder going year round and the animals will use it more at this time. Corn is a great source of energy, but protein or hay can help keep them full which is a huge benefit.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: How many .... [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8166562 02/12/21 03:37 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I

So true brother

I don’t know, I’ve seen a few winter die offs with less, if they can’t find a deep hole it’s seems like they don’t fare well

True
But the last big fish kill along our coast I remember was in 1989 and if memory serves me right Houston had single digit lows when that happened.
I am pretty sure Corpus got down in the mid teens as well in that freeze.
Hopefully we will not see a bad freeze kill along the coast with this one.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: How many .... [Re: kphilli66] #8166569 02/12/21 03:40 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by kphilli66
How did this go from animal die off's due to really cold weather, to humans being fat, lazy, inept, unable to survive cold.

'Gotta go with the flow Baby. up Excuse me, I have to go cut some firewood with a chainsaw that sometimes runs and some old gas, in case PEC lets me down. I'll try to dry it out in the barn. I do have my Mr. Heater and four 1lb. bottles. 'Hope the fireplace works, haven't tried it yet, but I did have it swept/cleaned. The Lord takes care of fools and drunks. Lately, I just might qualify in both categories.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: How many .... [Re: stxranchman] #8166583 02/12/21 03:46 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by stxranchman
The weak will have a difficult time for the next week. Those most effected will be the young or the really old of any species. Areas that had rain in early Jan and had a green up of winter growth will do better than those dry areas. The first week of March in 1996 we had an ice storm for 3 days straight in the Hill Country. We had all kinds of exotics and native wildlife on the ranch. Kudu, Addax, Scimitar Horn Oryx, Gemsbok, Pere David Deer, Red Sheep, Ellipsis Water Buck, Black Buck, Axis and Fallow for exotics. The Pere David would swim to pond instead of walking around it. The only two species that had a difficult time were the younger Black Bucks and Axis fawns(fawning season for that herd was Jan-end of March). I remember finding one younger Black Buck and a lot of new Axis fawns dead or close to it. We were able to save about 15-20 Axis fawns but lost way more. None of the other species, native or exotic had death losses that I know of. The key was winter thermal cover for the animals in the pasture and same in breeding pastures(along with sheds). I put out extra corn along with protein and hay for those days. The animals all used round bales as bedding, food and cover from the weather. Most hunters and landowners have some type of feeder going year round and the animals will use it more at this time. Corn is a great source of energy, but protein or hay can help keep them full which is a huge benefit.

Very key points here about the feed I think stxrm!

I plan on dumping 2-3 bags of corn on the ground Sunday as well as a bale of alfalfa. I have 2 protein feeders for them as well with 20% in them. If it doesn't get eaten I can live with wasting a few dollars. Hopefully it may save an older or younger deer or 2 and maybe even some other animals. I also plan on making sure at least one of my tanks has the ice broken so that they can water at will.

Hell, I am going to put out fresh round bales for my cows and give them 5-10 lbs each of 40% cubes on Sat, Sun, & Mon.
Gotta baby those girls! lol

Re: How many .... [Re: Creekrunner] #8166590 02/12/21 03:49 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
How did this go from animal die off's due to really cold weather, to humans being fat, lazy, inept, unable to survive cold.

'Gotta go with the flow Baby. up Excuse me, I have to go cut some firewood with a chainsaw that sometimes runs and some old gas, in case PEC lets me down. I'll try to dry it out in the barn. I do have my Mr. Heater and four 1lb. bottles. 'Hope the fireplace works, haven't tried it yet, but I did have it swept/cleaned. The Lord takes care of fools and drunks. Lately, I just might qualify in both categories.

Don't worry, soon Biden will pass a low stopping the production of those nasty, pollution producing 2-stroke chainsaws as well.
Might as well go get you a 166V cordless rechargeable one now! eek2

roflmao

Re: How many .... [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #8166634 02/12/21 04:09 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

Don't worry, soon Biden will pass a low stopping the production of those nasty, pollution producing 2-stroke chainsaws as well.
Might as well go get you a 166V cordless rechargeable one now! eek2

roflmao

I was eyeing a kolbolt 12” one for my truck
roflmao

I feel like me and 166v would be a bad idea

Re: How many .... [Re: kphilli66] #8166648 02/12/21 04:19 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
How did this go from animal die off's due to really cold weather, to humans being fat, lazy, inept, unable to survive cold. The only one's that are outside are the homeless, and some of those want to be outside instead of in a shelter. I just hope the jumbo 747 sized mosquitos get taken out from the cold wet weather.

I think im guilty of comparing my fat weak human azz to a finch that did it

It's hell eatin em live
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide