Page 1 of 2 1 2
How close to a property fence? #8166131 02/12/21 04:03 AM
S
Sewer rat Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Curious what others thoughts are on how close is ok to set up a blind / feeder to a property fence? I know you definitely don’t want bullets leaving your property but aside from that how close is ok? I have a feeder that is about 100 yards from a property fence but it is down in a low area with a huge cliff behind it and you can even see the fence.

Re: How close to a property fence? [Re: Sewer rat] #8166147 02/12/21 04:18 AM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
How close would you want a neighbors blind to your fence?

Last edited by fishdfly; 02/12/21 04:18 AM.
Re: How close to a property fence? [Re: Sewer rat] #8166155 02/12/21 04:26 AM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
If you have to ask your to close IMO.

Re: How close to a property fence? [Re: Sewer rat] #8166161 02/12/21 04:30 AM
4Weight Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Sewer rat
Curious what others thoughts are on how close is ok to set up a blind / feeder to a property fence? I know you definitely don’t want bullets leaving your property but aside from that how close is ok? I have a feeder that is about 100 yards from a property fence but it is down in a low area with a huge cliff behind it and you can even see the fence.

From your description it sounds like you kept your neighbors in mind and you’re good

Last edited by 4Weight; 02/12/21 04:30 AM.
Re: How close to a property fence? [Re: Sewer rat] #8166166 02/12/21 04:33 AM
llbts1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Does it matter to you if your neighbors like you or not? As a landowner, that would not endear me towards you. And I have had an almost identical situation as what you described.

Re: How close to a property fence? [Re: Sewer rat] #8166171 02/12/21 04:40 AM
K
kman2017 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Every property around ours has feeders at every corner of each property and these are all 300-500 acre places. Just the way things go.

Re: How close to a property fence? [Re: Sewer rat] #8166177 02/12/21 04:49 AM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Years ago on one lease a neighbor and I shared a blind on the fence line. He owned his side, I leased, we built ot on his side. Occasionally we hunted together, but usually he hunted one weekend I hunted the next. .

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: How close to a property fence? [Re: Sewer rat] #8166205 02/12/21 06:02 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe

If they can't see your feeder and mostly if any potential shots will not cross the property line, you should be good to go. I would be fine with that if I were your neighbor. Also with your feeder out of sight, you likely would not have to worry about your neighbor setting up a stand for the sole purpose of hunting game on their side of the fence traveling in route to cross the fence line to your feeder. I have been hunting leases for maybe 40 years. Anytime there is a feeder on a boundary fence line, you can take it to the bank there is also a stand, bow stand, overlook, spot overlooking a game trail, or known still hunting area nearby across the fence taking advantage of the free feeder to hunt. You may or may not ever see them, but if you put a feeder on a boundary fence line and the other property is leased or owned by hunters, or public hunting land, one or more of those hunters are going to take advantage of it often.

Re: How close to a property fence? [Re: Sewer rat] #8166210 02/12/21 06:12 AM
TKM Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Have one place i hunt where my elevated blind is about 3 ft from the fence in a few dead trees. Property is 1 Mile long with pipe line running along the fence. All behind me is thick timber, no one hunts it, never seen any cattle on it nor the owner. My blind has no back windows and short side windows so i would have to lean forward just to look down the pipe line. Shooting out across the property i hunt, don't see anything wrong with this.

Re: How close to a property fence? [Re: 4Weight] #8166266 02/12/21 12:03 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by 4Weight

From your description it sounds like you kept your neighbors in mind and you’re good

Agree here, you seemed to use good common sense and logic. Keep in the mind, the blind and feeder are not the "real issue", the bigger issue what does the person inside said blind do? Down in South Texas, I've seen close property fence blinds that were not a problem because I knew the hunters were responsible and not indiscriminately shooting deer; whereas I've seen other situations that were quite the opposite, any deer crossed a fenceline and it had to dodge a volley of bullets. Decide which one you'd like to be and live it but actions often do have consequences.

Re: How close to a property fence? [Re: Sewer rat] #8166303 02/12/21 12:56 PM
F
fishbait Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
F
If your place is large enough to hunt elsewhere...then why hunt a fence line and possibly upsetting your neighbors and possibly put someone in danger even yourself. Myself..I would rather hunt well into my place and develop it such I have deer close to my blind. If your place is small without brush then I might hunt close but still not necessary to hunt on a fence line. You must understand how dangerous hunting where you can shoot someone on their side of the fence. You don't know if someone is on the other side somewhere. The only way I could agree hunting a fence line is if your back is to the fence hunting your own place....just for safety. You also need to consider ...a bullet will go through a deer and travel a long ways..extremely dangerous. The fact is, if it can be dangerous then it is. However, if you could talk to your neighbor and agree that it is ok...then not so dangerous but still dangerous. You have to be your own judge and make good decisions...no mater how dangerous... it is your right to do so... Is a deer really worth it?
Yes, it is your right to shoot directly toward another blind on the other side... until the bullet hits something or someone..then you are responsible for the damage it causes. I think that this is the law not sure though. Your blind is legal if your feeder in on the fence and the blind is behind shooting toward the fence.I can't tell ya exactly what the law states. You can't shoot across a fence to kill a deer as that would be illegal..as it would be taking a deer without the owners permission. A felony ...
Hunting a fence line for me is out of the question...that's just the way I hunt.

Re: How close to a property fence? [Re: Sewer rat] #8166335 02/12/21 01:20 PM
M
MathGeek Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Better to have your stand close to a property line shooting back toward your property where you know where everyone is than have your stand close to the center of your property shooting toward the property of another.

Don't cross the line. Don't shoot over the line. But the best way to use all your property is to hunt close to the lines.

Re: How close to a property fence? [Re: Sewer rat] #8166513 02/12/21 03:10 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
So just curious, If I have a 100 acre place roughly square, you are suggesting I mark off more than 100 yards on each fence line to make it the "No hunt" zone a la german concentrations camps? Just putting that in perspective, 100 acres square is roughly 2087 feet per side, if you took a 100 yard zone off that (remember thats 300 feet per side, so 600 feet off each dimension) you have made your 100 acre place into a 50 acre hunting zone.

So just because we have a bunch of hunter justice warriors who think most fence hunters are gonna shoot their deer, we need every ranchette owner to effectively cut their property's hunting size significantly

Y'all are nuts

Did some quick math on my place, taking 100 yards off each dimension on my place and you whittle my property from 400 acres to right at 293. I will say it again y'all are nutz. I am gonna hunt as much of my 400 acres as I want. No one is gonna tell me otherwise

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 02/12/21 03:13 PM.
Re: How close to a property fence? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8166549 02/12/21 03:31 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
So just curious, If I have a 100 acre place roughly square, you are suggesting I mark off more than 100 yards on each fence line to make it the "No hunt" zone a la german concentrations camps? Just putting that in perspective, 100 acres square is roughly 2087 feet per side, if you took a 100 yard zone off that (remember thats 300 feet per side, so 600 feet off each dimension) you have made your 100 acre place into a 50 acre hunting zone.

So just because we have a bunch of hunter justice warriors who think most fence hunters are gonna shoot their deer, we need every ranchette owner to effectively cut their property's hunting size significantly

Y'all are nuts

Did some quick math on my place, taking 100 yards off each dimension on my place and you whittle my property from 400 acres to right at 293. I will say it again y'all are nutz. I am gonna hunt as much of my 400 acres as I want. No one is gonna tell me otherwise

Right, don't shoot "my deer" on your place. Couldn't agree more with you - like I said above, I draw the line when nearly "every" deer is being shot at...

Re: How close to a property fence? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8166552 02/12/21 03:32 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
You should hunt your property how you damn well please.......if that includes courtesy to your neighbors......that can be managed by simply talking to them and informing them how you intend to hunt from the blind......that makes MathGeek's opinion one that would work fine IMO.....

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: How close to a property fence? [Re: Sewer rat] #8166568 02/12/21 03:39 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
IMO, two key factors come into play when hunting near a fence. The first is who has deer holding habitat on their side of the fence. If your side is open pasture and the other side is covered with hardwoods and cover, putting a feeder and stand near the fence makes it obvious that you're trying to attract deer off your neighbor's property. Granted, deer belong to the state until they hit the ground dead, which leads to the second factor - not creating a situation where it's likely a deer you shoot will end up dead on your neighbor's property. If it does, it's your neighbor's deer and he/she has no legal obligation to give it to you, nor do you or a game warden have a right to retrieve it. He may ask them if they will give it to you as a friendly gesture but they are not legally required to do so. In fact, don't be surprised if the game warden tells you it would be better if you moved your stand farther off the fence line.

Obviously, it's best to check with neighbors before hunting near a fence line so that such things can be worked out in advance.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 02/12/21 03:42 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: How close to a property fence? [Re: Sewer rat] #8166579 02/12/21 03:45 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence or in some cases as close to it as you can get. Deer roam on every inch of a property. I put my blinds were I can hunt them on their travel routes. Some are within 200 yards of fence and others are much further away. One blind is in on the middle west side of a panhandle on my place. It is probably 250 from north and south fences but 400 to 800 yards from east or west fences. None of the shots will go across a fence and all the blind face into my property...the one the in panhandle faces NE but still 400 yards to the fence(if I shoot that way out of a 10' tower blind). That tower blind is in a travel corridor that I found when I bought my place. I added food plots, feeders and water in several locations but it is still the highest traffic location due to natural funnel. I try to stay out of the middle and best bedding areas on my place...234 acres only. So I mainly travel the edges or the ROW on a powerline. The deer/wildlife know my travel routes and I know their bedding/travel areas.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: How close to a property fence? [Re: Sewer rat] #8166657 02/12/21 04:25 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
I have three blinds that are as close to the fence as can be. All three back up to a HF and the line of fire is parallel or back into our place. I have two other blinds that are about 100-150 yards off the fence, both with significant cover between them and the fence, but one of the two does have possible shots towards the fence. In that case you either make sure the backdrop is good (there are several piles of dozed trees) or wait for them to move to where the shot is parallel. All other blinds are ~400-500yds from an exterior fence. None of the blinds have feeders; if I'm shooting my neighbor's deer they chose to come over of their own free will.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: How close to a property fence? [Re: Sewer rat] #8168415 02/13/21 09:35 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Quit, just curious why you dont use feeders. Is this Mills county? You may be the only one in the county without feeders. I commend you for it, but just curious.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: How close to a property fence? [Re: freerange] #8168841 02/14/21 02:41 AM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by freerange
Quit, just curious why you dont use feeders. Is this Mills county? You may be the only one in the county without feeders. I commend you for it, but just curious.

Mainly, we just never hunted that way. My grandfather bought the place in the early 50s for sheep and goats. We started hunting it around 1975 and back then it was pick a trail and climb a tree. We still have sheep, goats, and cows. Any feeder would have to be penned. Now days the deer are so thick and the trails and bedding areas well known, it’s not hard to be in the right spot. We occasionally use hand corn but the livestock will glean it in a hurry so we don’t do it much. I would like to feed protein at some point but I have to get my father on board.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: How close to a property fence? [Re: Sewer rat] #8169218 02/14/21 02:50 PM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Fence or no fence - safety should be #1 priority about blind and feeder placement.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: How close to a property fence? [Re: Sewer rat] #8169721 02/14/21 07:51 PM
B
bphillips Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Hunt your place however you want.

I would much rather a neighbor have the blind on the fence shooting into their place than have a blind 100yd off the fence but shooting towards me though

[Linked Image]
Re: How close to a property fence? [Re: Sewer rat] #8169736 02/14/21 08:07 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I have one blind maybe 40 yards from my north property line, facing into my property. Feeder is 80 yards south, for kiddos mostly. I doubt my neighbor can see the blind, since I don't believe there are any roads on his side in that area and, there's a little oak mott between the blind and the fence. (Sometimes I'm lazy and park the CanAm behind it, which probably puts the back of the CanAm, oh, I don't know, 6' from the fence. laugh ) I met the neighbor. He's an okay guy, but I figured out his visit was to basically check me out for the future and if I'd bend to his will on what HE wants. We'll do just fine, but, speaking from experience, I couldn't give a rat's posterior whether my neighbors "like" me. 99% of neighbors want something that is to their advantage and to your disadvantage. There's a reason "neighbor" is in the Golden Rule. It ain't that easy to love them. On the last place I knew one neighbor was "shinin'" me any time we, infrequently, had contact. Sure enough, he became a complete sphincter when I didn't sell to him and he realized I'd never bought the BS.

Be safe, be ethical, be considerate, but don't worry about whether the frickin' neighbors "like" you!

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: How close to a property fence? [Re: Sewer rat] #8170498 02/15/21 05:01 AM
llbts1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Creekrunner.

I guess to each his own. I want my neighbors to "Like" me. I want to be a good neighbor to them. My neighbors are friends. If they need something, I will be there and help them if I can. If I'm in need they are a phone call away. I guess I'm fortunate that my neighbors "like" me and respect me.

Thank you for reminding me how lucky I am to have the neighbors I got.

Re: How close to a property fence? [Re: Sewer rat] #8170545 02/15/21 08:33 AM
M
MAP Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Be safe, be ethical, be considerate, but don't worry about whether the frickin' neighbors "like" you!

I'm with you, I wonder how many people who feel this way about their ranch/lease even know their neighbors on the street they actually live on? I'd be more concerned with who lived next door to me, then who hunts next to me

We have over 40 neighbors some are good, some are POS's, and most I've never met. I'm very nice and polite to most people, but I have a very short fuse when it comes to somebody telling me what to do on my own place. Watch the news, its full of people telling you what to do, how to do it, and fining you if you dont......I'll be damn to give people that power over something I own and enjoy so much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide