Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sitka #8163766 02/10/21 05:41 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
It is baffling to me how many grown [censored] men care so much about what kind of clothing someone else wears. I'm not talking just discussing gear but people are genuinely offended about a clothing brand.

I don't hunt a lot of crowded public land, I'm not familiar with the guide scene. I hunt solo or with close friends. I don't give rats [censored] what I look like or what someone thinks about my clothing.

I was in need of a good waterfowl coat and was able to qualify for a good a discount so I bought a Sitka coat and really loved it. I bought a Sitka beanie which ended up being the wrong pattern so I sent it back and they sent me back the correct one along with an extra. Never heard of another company doing anything like that. Since then I've bought a few other items.

Then I find out there is a lot hate towards Sitka..why is that?

I've never in my life seen so many dbags on social media, and even on this forum to an extent, soo concerned with what another man wears to hunt in.

Last edited by BradyBuck; 02/10/21 05:45 PM.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Sitka [Re: BradyBuck] #8163809 02/10/21 06:19 PM
S
Sinkey Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I have to agree with you Brady. Not sure where the hate comes from when it comes to Sitka. In my opinion, they have done some great stuff when it comes to clothing for waterfowl. And every year Im finding myself adding a piece here and a piece there. Especially on the under layers. I wore a Macks sweater alot of the year due to it not being very cold. But when the temps dropped, their duck oven jacket is pretty dang hard to beat.
But I still own alot of drake stuff, and stuff that looks like rats chewed a hole in it! lol. Shirts and stuff that are just too damn comfy to get rid of!

Another key selling point that had me looking at Sitka was the fact my wife hunts with me. And frankly, its hard finding womens waterfowl gear. That according to her, fits how its supposed too. And she hunted more than most guys prolly on this forum hunted this year.

But bottom line is to each and his own. Who cares who wears what. Buy what you want to for what ever reasons.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Sitka [Re: BradyBuck] #8164622 02/11/21 03:46 AM
E
Eastxhuntr Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
I saw someone maybe here put in a good perspective in that they turned clothing into gear - and its so true. The quality is unmatched, from blocking wind to keeping in heat to durability, you get so much for what you pay for I don't give a **** how many ringers and spoons you slay in your 50 yr old mossy oak jacket

Re: Sitka [Re: BradyBuck] #8164649 02/11/21 04:12 AM
68A Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I don’t have any hate towards Sitka. I’m glad you like it. The problem I have is people that pound the Sitka drum telling me my drake, banded, gator waders, magellan, etc. gear is garbage and how awesome their Sitka is. I hunt public out of boat 90% of the time, in all weather conditions. None of it has let me down. If it works for me, I really don’t care how awesome your stuff is. Your money, your prerogative. My money, my prerogative. Why is this even brought up? I don’t care what brand anyone wears. None of it impresses me or makes anyone a better duck hunter.

Re: Sitka [Re: 68A] #8164710 02/11/21 05:27 AM
B
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by 68A
I don’t have any hate towards Sitka. I’m glad you like it. The problem I have is people that pound the Sitka drum telling me my drake, banded, gator waders, magellan, etc. gear is garbage and how awesome their Sitka is. I hunt public out of boat 90% of the time, in all weather conditions. None of it has let me down. If it works for me, I really don’t care how awesome your stuff is. Your money, your prerogative. My money, my prerogative. Why is this even brought up? I don’t care what brand anyone wears. None of it impresses me or makes anyone a better duck hunter.

Yeah, I agree. To each their own either way. From my perspective I see more people hating on Sitka vs the other way around. Just don't get it.

Re: Sitka [Re: 68A] #8164855 02/11/21 01:50 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by 68A

Many just can't help themselves.

I've heard nothing but good things on the jackets. Waders mixed reviews. Why it has to be talked about constantly by the homers is kind of goofy.

Did I tell you fellas about my new underwear? Best there is.

Last edited by ducknbass; 02/11/21 01:51 PM.
Re: Sitka [Re: BradyBuck] #8164919 02/11/21 02:31 PM
2flyfish4 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Can anyone hook me up with a boreal jacket in 2xl? $650 is a little steep...

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: Sitka [Re: BradyBuck] #8164927 02/11/21 02:35 PM
topwater13 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
I hunt with mixed groups often around NTX, sitka aside, it's common to overhear conversations about how great the brand (gun, chokes, waders, packs, decoys...etc.) versus other "garbage". It begins to become almost like an adolescent show and tell with everyone trying to out do each other. Tiresome. I just want to kill ducks.
Most (not all) of the guys that are 100% on board with any ONE brand, haven't had enough experience in the field for it to fail them, or provide an honest review. I can find faults in almost anything....but that's just my style.

Re: Sitka [Re: ducknbass] #8164938 02/11/21 02:45 PM
S
Sinkey Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ducknbass
Originally Posted by 68A

Many just can't help themselves.

I've heard nothing but good things on the jackets. Waders mixed reviews. Why it has to be talked about constantly by the homers is kind of goofy.

Did I tell you fellas about my new underwear? Best there is.

You did....but it was a SHORT story! rofl

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Sitka [Re: topwater13] #8164993 02/11/21 03:25 PM
J
js4242 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted by topwater13
I hunt with mixed groups often around NTX, sitka aside, it's common to overhear conversations about how great the brand (gun, chokes, waders, packs, decoys...etc.) versus other "garbage". It begins to become almost like an adolescent show and tell with everyone trying to out do each other. Tiresome. I just want to kill ducks.
Most (not all) of the guys that are 100% on board with any ONE brand, haven't had enough experience in the field for it to fail them, or provide an honest review. I can find faults in almost anything....but that's just my style.

I think ^^^^ is pretty accurate. I also think a lot of people dog it because of some of the attitudes (perceived or real) of Sitka backers that people hate the brand cause they can't afford it. While they might be in the minority of Sitka wearers, those elitists go to that defense mighty quick. It also goes the other way as well, when some folks aren't happy they can't afford something dog it just because it's not within their means or just want to be anti just to be anti something. It's just not hunting gear either. It's everything.

Re: Sitka [Re: BradyBuck] #8165010 02/11/21 03:32 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
There's 2 culprits....

1- Sitka Gods who believe everyone should buy Sitka even if they cannot afford it/need it and....
2- Broke sumbitches who want Sitka but cannot afford it so they rationalize why their cheap chit is better.

Then there's the rest of and the majority of us.

Re: Sitka [Re: BDB] #8165041 02/11/21 03:55 PM
B
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by BDB
There's 2 culprits....

1- Sitka Gods who believe everyone should buy Sitka even if they cannot afford it/need it and....
2- Broke sumbitches who want Sitka but cannot afford it so they rationalize why their cheap chit is better.

Then there's the rest of and the majority of us.

Nailed it

Re: Sitka [Re: BradyBuck] #8165082 02/11/21 04:09 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
From what I’ve seen, people don’t take issue with Sitka garments. They take issue with recommendations that someone wanting to try waterfowl hunting for the first time needs to buy it to go see if they are going to like waterfowl hunting.
A personal commentary from someone who has waterfowl hunted since the 1960’s: I personally have never seen a group of waterfowl hunters try to convince their peers, they need to wear a particular “outfit” to duck hunt in. Gushing over your hunting outfit just isn’t a lot of mens thing.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 02/11/21 04:10 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Sitka [Re: BradyBuck] #8165088 02/11/21 04:12 PM
J
Jiggamitch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Couldn't care less, and I don't get why this thread keeps coming back like something has changed.

Last edited by Jiggamitch; 02/11/21 04:12 PM.
Re: Sitka [Re: BradyBuck] #8165128 02/11/21 04:32 PM
L
LarryCopper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I don't think it's just a money thing. I mean, if you can afford a boat and a shotgun and all the other essentials you can pick up the difference between a $100 jacket and a $500 one.

It's a perception thing - need vs want. You'll never convince me you need that kind of warmth in the mild climate of TX... although this upcoming week isn't the best example LOL. If you hunt where it gets extremely cold, that's a completely different story. But, Ol skoolers like me get tired of hearing how much better some newish expensive thing is when we know we have never needed it and never will. The difference is I don't care what others do, but a lot of other folks like to spout off how much they think they know. That goes for both the Sitka haters and their believers. I hear a lot of "you do you and I'll do me" in theory, but it never goes down that way... this thread being a good example.

You'll also never convince me that I need bismuth when I haven't lost a cripple in the last two seasons. Of course I still use an outboard, too. I could drop $25K on a new rig tomorrow, but why if I don't need it for where I hunt? A lot of things that get sold to outdoorsmen in general is complete overkill.

Re: Sitka [Re: BradyBuck] #8165183 02/11/21 05:02 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
People that hate on a brand with a passion that I reserve for people that have mistreated my family are missing something in their life. Those same people dog on another man's cooler, brand of optic, make of truck, gun, you name it, theirs is better, or yours sucks for some reason. I have high end, low end and everything in between of all things. I buy what works best and meets my needs. That said, I have never been disappointed when I jumped out there and went for the high end stuff.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Sitka [Re: BradyBuck] #8165294 02/11/21 06:10 PM
T
TBS12 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Some people just like to b**** and moan

Re: Sitka [Re: BradyBuck] #8165705 02/11/21 10:55 PM
S
Soda sip Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
Sitka is the best. If you don’t have all Sitka, you’re a loser. I’ve got the logo tattooed on my choad and my flooded corn fields are heated.

Odoyal RULES!!!

Re: Sitka [Re: BradyBuck] #8166469 02/12/21 02:40 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
For anyone looking, stores just dropped a 20% off sale on select sitka

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Sitka [Re: BradyBuck] #8166573 02/12/21 03:43 PM
M
mohunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Rogers sporting goods has some Sitka up to 40 percent off, go get you some boys!

Re: Sitka [Re: BradyBuck] #8167001 02/12/21 08:38 PM
T
TBS12 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
The zippers are trash, my only complaint about their product.

Re: Sitka [Re: BradyBuck] #8167081 02/12/21 09:36 PM
Traildust Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I like the looks ( quality wise and appearance ) but I'm just not paying that much for camo. I'll buy the Black Orvis branded moreno wool base layers, socks and hoodies, Discounted Browning Hells Cayon Speed camo and Cabelas Microtex and Camofire stuff. All of that stuff is solid and has never let me down elk hunting. You can find some great deals just by spend about 5 minutes in the morning checking out there deal.

I do have a little Kuiu stuff from their closeout store. Their are plenty of alternatives if you shop and don't have to accessorize you outfit in all the same patterns

Faith Family Friends
Re: Sitka [Re: BradyBuck] #8167836 02/13/21 01:46 PM
H
Heisman25g Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
When Mohunter made the jump to wearing nothing but Sitka, he stopped having to take his gun and buy shells, the ducks just give themselves up now. And when you look at it that way, he’ll eventually save money by buying Sitka, especially with the the amount of cripples he’s usually cleaning up............

Re: Sitka [Re: BradyBuck] #8167919 02/13/21 03:09 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Sitka makes great gear, but so do a few other.

I just find it interesting when it as a whole or something else is claimed to be the best but one calling it the best hasn’t used anything else, or is very limited.

My only complaint about Sitka is parent company is very restrictive on what textiles they can use, but in their defense they are owned by a textile company.

I think each company has a stand out piece but none dominate the market across the board.

Example I think Sitka Dakota hoody is most versatile piece especially for TX and Coast, but Columbia makes best water proof wading jacket system. Columbia use to make best wader pants, think Sitka has since taken that spot. Kuiu doesn’t have a specific duck line, but makes best base layer and overall fleece line.

Drake has had some really good pieces over the years, but very year specific, due to management and ownership. There were years when their jackets weren’t fully seam sealed, more sort of critically taped seams.

Of course this is all my opinion. In Texas overall I don’t think our weather is extreme enough to justify a lot of the really expensive layering pieces.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Sitka [Re: BradyBuck] #8168505 02/13/21 10:44 PM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Originally Posted by BradyBuck
It is baffling to me how many grown [censored] men care so much about what kind of clothing someone else wears. I'm not talking just discussing gear but people are genuinely offended about a clothing brand.

I don't hunt a lot of crowded public land, I'm not familiar with the guide scene. I hunt solo or with close friends. I don't give rats [censored] what I look like or what someone thinks about my clothing.

I was in need of a good waterfowl coat and was able to qualify for a good a discount so I bought a Sitka coat and really loved it. I bought a Sitka beanie which ended up being the wrong pattern so I sent it back and they sent me back the correct one along with an extra. Never heard of another company doing anything like that. Since then I've bought a few other items.

Then I find out there is a lot hate towards Sitka..why is that?

I've never in my life seen so many dbags on social media, and even on this forum to an extent, soo concerned with what another man wears to hunt in.

They treat Sitka like Yeti coolers. No offense to any Yeti owners.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide