Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Just some random food pics from the last few days... #8163094 02/10/21 06:46 AM
skinnerback Offline OP
THF Celebrity Chef
OP Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
Canned some Red & Green Salsa. Smoked Habanero tomorrow. I enjoy doing it, but dang it sure goes fast LOL.

[Linked Image]

Made a few poppers. There were none left. Got all the kids around the table to make them, & they did a good job. Cooked a brisket too.

[Linked Image]

Smothered Potatoes with ham hocks, if you've never made them you sure need to. My youngest Son and his little Sister wanted chicken fried backstrap, gravy, & smothered potatoes for my little boy's birthday. Of course, did that too but was too busy to take pics. My little girl said "Dad, from now on, every deer that we kill you have to make fried backstrap & gravy for me Dad. OK?"

LOL, Yes Ma'am.

[Linked Image]

Venison Picadillo almost done with the rice/beans/cucumber salad.

[Linked Image]

Ruff looking crew I know. My little brother & I with our oldest Son's during the cook last weekend. Yeh we've been off the weights & on the tacos & beer for a while. First time I ever took a shot of whiskey with my Son. He's not a big drinker (thank God). Both of these young men have grown up to be good hard working family men, and have given us both Grandchildren. I'm very proud of them both. My oldest Son was a hard hitting little bullet in football, but he hates being short. His personality trumps his height. My big footed 10 yr old Son is almost as tall as him already LOL. My brother's Son is taller than all of us, and strong too. Amazing how that works. The Mize Crew, just thought I'd share.

[Linked Image]

Re: Just some random food pics from the last few days... [Re: skinnerback] #8163107 02/10/21 08:47 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Great looking crew....amazing looking food!

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Just some random food pics from the last few days... [Re: skinnerback] #8163148 02/10/21 11:59 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Busy, busy, busy. cheers

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Just some random food pics from the last few days... [Re: skinnerback] #8163224 02/10/21 01:01 PM
P
Paluxy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
That salsa looks good!

Re: Just some random food pics from the last few days... [Re: skinnerback] #8163291 02/10/21 01:48 PM
M
mbavo Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
M
Great looking food as always!

Heck of a crew you got there.

Re: Just some random food pics from the last few days... [Re: skinnerback] #8163305 02/10/21 01:56 PM
KRoyal Offline
Texoma Legend
Texoma Legend
On point as always Spencer! Looks amazing.

[Linked Image]

Re: Just some random food pics from the last few days... [Re: KRoyal] #8163351 02/10/21 02:21 PM
1955 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Good looking food and I bet the salsa is delicious!

Re: Just some random food pics from the last few days... [Re: 1955] #8163447 02/10/21 03:05 PM
E
ElkOne Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
E
It all looks great Skinner, good family shot !

ElkOne
Re: Just some random food pics from the last few days... [Re: skinnerback] #8163494 02/10/21 03:22 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Great looking family and a lot of good looking foods!!! To can salsa, do you have to cook it or put some king of preservative in it? or just fresh salsa put in a jar sealed up???

my wife makes some awesome salsa, would be great to learn how to can it and make bigger batches

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Just some random food pics from the last few days... [Re: skinnerback] #8163776 02/10/21 05:52 PM
B
bmunro Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
You know your way around the kitchen! Do you mind sharing the recipe for the smothered potatoes and picadillo?

Re: Just some random food pics from the last few days... [Re: skinnerback] #8164200 02/10/21 10:48 PM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
We know they are wanted for their cooking, and maybe for confused2 laugh

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Stub; 02/10/21 10:51 PM.

texas flag

Re: Just some random food pics from the last few days... [Re: skinnerback] #8164242 02/10/21 11:17 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Looks great

Re: Just some random food pics from the last few days... [Re: bill oxner] #8164476 02/11/21 01:28 AM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Busy, busy, busy. cheers

Really busy makes me feel bad.

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Just some random food pics from the last few days... [Re: PMK] #8164512 02/11/21 02:13 AM
skinnerback Offline OP
THF Celebrity Chef
OP Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by PMK
Great looking family and a lot of good looking foods!!! To can salsa, do you have to cook it or put some king of preservative in it? or just fresh salsa put in a jar sealed up???

my wife makes some awesome salsa, would be great to learn how to can it and make bigger batches

Thanks yall.

PMK - I do cook the salsa. For the red & green sauce I boil the ingredients, then they go into the blender, and then simmers for a little bit in a pot to make sure everything is incorporated well and goes into the jars hot. Yall can do the same with your wife's salsa. No preservatives except for a little bit of salt & vinegar. For canning salsa, just the regular old blue metal water bath canner from Wal Mart is all you need (or any big pot). I get that big pot boiling, then sterilize everything while I'm working on the salsa. After the jars/lids/rings/funnel boil for 10 minutes, they come out and the salsa goes in. Bring it back to a boil for 8-10 minutes then they come out to cool & seal (love hearing those lids pop). Two biggest things I've learned about canning salsa is 1) don't boil for too long & 2) don't over fill the jars or they'll leak and not seal as well (and gets messy). If the salsa goes in hot, 8 minutes in the water bath is just right for me here (at this elevation). It does have a shelf life, but I have no idea what that is because they are always gone so fast between getting eaten and me giving away to folks. I try not to give too many jars away anymore because the dang jars are so expensive lol. It's really easy to do though and I enjoy it. The only thing I've learned to can so far is jelly and salsa, both just need the hot water bath. Next, I'm going to learn how to can vegetables and meat. I'll have to get a real canner/pressure cooker for that. My Grandparents and Mother used to can everything, but I was too little to learn any of that at the time before they passed on. So, I'm reading/YouTubing and learning through trial and error.

Re: Just some random food pics from the last few days... [Re: Stub] #8164517 02/11/21 02:17 AM
skinnerback Offline OP
THF Celebrity Chef
OP Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Stub

[Linked Image]

roflmao That's funny right there! LOL.

Re: Just some random food pics from the last few days... [Re: bmunro] #8164568 02/11/21 03:01 AM
skinnerback Offline OP
THF Celebrity Chef
OP Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by bmunro
You know your way around the kitchen! Do you mind sharing the recipe for the smothered potatoes and picadillo?

Of course not.

SMOTHERED POTATOES:

For the meat, you can use smoked sausage, bacon, or boneless smoked ham hocks. I've gotten to where I like the smoked ham hocks the best. The smoked pieces of meat really work well with the potatoes in this dish.

In a Dutch Oven I fry/caramelize diced up boneless smoked ham hocks first. I want them caramelized and as much fat rendered as possible without burning them. Reason for this is for the flavor of the caramelized meat, and because some of the pieces of ham hocks are pure fat. Biting into a piece of chewy fat is nasty IMO, but cooked crispy is delicious (like bacon). Once finished, remove from pot.

Then I drop in one chopped red onion, and one stick of unsalted Falfurrias Sweet Cream Butter. Caramelize the onions until they are good & dark, de-glazing the pot in the process. Then I add 3 tbs of minced garlic and stir for a few minutes. Then add the ham hocks back to the pot. Then add one 5lb sack of quartered up Golden Potatoes, I like the skin on. This will be a FULL pot with a 5qt Dutch Oven. Then I add black pepper & Magic Dust (or your favorite Cajun Seasoning) to your taste, then cover everything with low sodium chicken broth. Give it a stir, and cover with the lid cracked. I do all of this with my heat set to Medium Low.

At this point all you have to do is let it simmer and give it a stir once in a while, typically takes a few hours to finish. If you need to add a little more broth during the process you can do so. The idea of making smothered potatoes is to let the taters break down on their own to your desired consistency. When they're done, you want bite sized pieces of potatoes along with the creamy mashed potato like goodness that has broken down during the cook. All of the other ingredients in the pot absorb into the potatoes really well. When the smothered potatoes are almost done, then I check for the final seasoning, and will typically add more black pepper and Cajun Seasoning. I personally don't ever add salt, there's plenty in there already. Plus I'm trying to stay away from it.

I learned how to make these from some Cajun family members. I used to just always make garlic mashed potatoes or twice baked potatoes, but ever since I started making these the old standards have been shelved. Everybody loves them here, they really are delicious and a big step up from mashed potatoes IMO. Give them a shot, and holler if you need anything.

I will post up the picadillo recipe in a little bit.

Re: Just some random food pics from the last few days... [Re: skinnerback] #8164595 02/11/21 03:31 AM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Originally Posted by Stub

[Linked Image]

roflmao That's funny right there! LOL.

I laughed too. That pic is priceless Skinnerback! Frame it! The original I mean lol

Last edited by Bullfrog; 02/11/21 03:31 AM.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: Just some random food pics from the last few days... [Re: bmunro] #8164614 02/11/21 03:42 AM
skinnerback Offline OP
THF Celebrity Chef
OP Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
PICADILLO:

In a large cast iron skillet, I caramelize 2 chopped red onions with 2 sticks of unsalted Falfurrias Sweet Cream Butter. Then add 3-4 tbs of minced garlic. Stir for a few minutes, then remove & drain the excess butter. Sometimes I will sauté one chopped red & one green bell pepper with the onions, but normally don't.

Then I brown 5 lbs of venison burger (this will be a FULL skillet). When the burger goes in, I will then add one bag (or close to one bag) of chopped sweet mini peppers, and a couple of diced fresh jalapenos, with some salt & pepper. IMO the sweet mini peppers are a must. Once the meat in browned, then add the onions & garlic back to the skillet.

Then add one large can of Rotel (drained). Heat level is up to you. Then add as many chopped Golden Potatoes as you think you can fit (normally 6-8).

Then I add some more S&P, paprika, and cumin. IMO the cumin is the star seasoning of this dish. I don't add chili powder, I ain't making chili. Then I cover everything with low sodium chicken broth, stir, cover, and let simmer until the potatoes are tender. You can add more broth if you need to. I do all of this on medium low heat.

Once the potatoes are tender, I take the lid off and let it thicken up some. I like my potatoes to start to break down a little bit. Now it's time for the final seasoning. Add more paprika, S&P, and most importantly cumin until you're happy with it. Serve on fresh toasted tortillas with rice & beans. Simple and delicious.

Re: Just some random food pics from the last few days... [Re: skinnerback] #8164685 02/11/21 04:52 AM
B
bobcat1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Food is great but family pic trumps it all!

Bobby Barnett

Re: Just some random food pics from the last few days... [Re: bobcat1] #8164726 02/11/21 05:59 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by bobcat1
Food is great but family pic trumps it all!

Some of the best people you’ll ever meet! Great family!

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Just some random food pics from the last few days... [Re: skinnerback] #8164848 02/11/21 01:47 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
thanks Skinner ... with my wife's salsa, it isn't cooked as it stands, just fresh made ... I wonder if the boiling/cooking process would change the taste or texture... hmmm

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Just some random food pics from the last few days... [Re: skinnerback] #8164874 02/11/21 02:00 PM
1955 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Good looking food ! But the family portrait PRICELESS !

Re: Just some random food pics from the last few days... [Re: skinnerback] #8165389 02/11/21 07:18 PM
B
bmunro Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Thanks for the recipes Skinner! Always looking for different ways to use ground venison and I have a bunch to use. And those smothered potatoes sound like they'd be perfect for this weather!

Re: Just some random food pics from the last few days... [Re: PMK] #8165443 02/11/21 07:59 PM
skinnerback Offline OP
THF Celebrity Chef
OP Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by PMK
thanks Skinner ... with my wife's salsa, it isn't cooked as it stands, just fresh made ... I wonder if the boiling/cooking process would change the taste or texture... hmmm

It would change the texture for sure, I would think. Think I'll try & can some fresh pico and see what happens.

Re: Just some random food pics from the last few days... [Re: bmunro] #8165447 02/11/21 07:59 PM
skinnerback Offline OP
THF Celebrity Chef
OP Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
Thanks again fellas. Hope you enjoy the recipes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide