Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
At what point.... #8162276 02/09/21 08:03 PM
R
redchevy Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R
do you go from free range hunting to ranching deer live stock?

It's hell eatin em live
Re: At what point.... [Re: redchevy] #8162277 02/09/21 08:05 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
That happens as soon as the high fence has been completed.

Re: At what point.... [Re: unclebubba] #8162286 02/09/21 08:12 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by unclebubba
That happens as soon as the high fence has been completed.

X2

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: At what point.... [Re: redchevy] #8162290 02/09/21 08:14 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
And so the off-season begins.... popcorn

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: At what point.... [Re: freerange] #8162293 02/09/21 08:15 PM
R
redchevy Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by freerange
And so the off-season begins.... popcorn

Figured we may as well kick it off, come on in and pull up a chair

It's hell eatin em live
Re: At what point.... [Re: redchevy] #8162338 02/09/21 08:53 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
According to the state of texas, you never have WT deer livestock....the state still owns the WT deer even in your enclosure. Axis deer are a different matter, don’t know that i have ever heard of anyone arguing for mule deer enclosures (wonder why?)...

Re: At what point.... [Re: redchevy] #8162343 02/09/21 08:57 PM
R
redchevy Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R
I dont mean actual ownership of the deer and im not strictly talking about HF either.

It was brought up on another topic darting a deer just to measure its antlers. After reading that I had the impression in my mind its flirting with being treated as "livestock"

It's hell eatin em live
Re: At what point.... [Re: redchevy] #8162345 02/09/21 08:58 PM
R
redchevy Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R
Im not anti HF or anything either, just discussion.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: At what point.... [Re: redchevy] #8162347 02/09/21 08:59 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by redchevy

I've been having some of these thoughts. I am really interested in hunting an Axis as well as some other exotics, but driving around in a truck/sitting on a feeder shooting semi-tame animals is a no-go. I want to be proud of the animal I take and for me that means being proud of the work I put in to hunt and kill it. Some of the pics lately are just disappointing-you know it took less than 30 minutes of 'hunting' to put them on the ground. Are you that much of a try-hard that you need to hang an animal on the wall that took zero effort to kill?

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: At what point.... [Re: redchevy] #8162363 02/09/21 09:14 PM
B
bphillips Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
It’s still free range hunting but I could see the terminology change to ranching as soon as you do anything to improve your herd or make a profit

[Linked Image]
Re: At what point.... [Re: redchevy] #8162364 02/09/21 09:14 PM
B
BigfootWallace Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Used to I would say high fences but now I'm not sure. I never thought people would tranquilize wild animals only to let them loose to shoot them later.

I miss the days when someone shot a huge buck it was about luck of the draw. You just had to be out in the woods and get lucky on a buck of a lifetime walking by. They would even put it in the small town newspapers when someone got one. Now it's get your checkbook out, how much you wanna spend?

Disclaimer: I'm 35 so this is not 100 years ago

Re: At what point.... [Re: redchevy] #8162392 02/09/21 09:35 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I've been on a low fence lease in the Rolling Plains where I had a bunch of deer so tame they would start walking up to my truck as soon as I parked looking for a handout. Of course I never knowingly shot any of my "pets" but it would have been about as close to a canned hunt as you could get without a pen.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: At what point.... [Re: redchevy] #8162433 02/09/21 10:06 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I think when you starting to throw all the protein and other feeds they can eat 24-7-365 even a LF Deer become like livestock.

Re: At what point.... [Re: redchevy] #8162447 02/09/21 10:16 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Full of myself, eager, willing to work, willing to dole it out, willing to be patient, willing to work with others, willing to experience frustration & sometimes failure and then there are some responses to threads akin to this one can make me feel so undeserving.

Re: At what point.... [Re: BigfootWallace] #8162571 02/09/21 11:17 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by BigfootWallace
Used to I would say high fences but now I'm not sure. I never thought people would tranquilize wild animals only to let them loose to shoot them later.

I miss the days when someone shot a huge buck it was about luck of the draw. You just had to be out in the woods and get lucky on a buck of a lifetime walking by. They would even put it in the small town newspapers when someone got one. Now it's get your checkbook out, how much you wanna spend?

I can relate to what you are saying 100%. I miss those days too. By and large things are still like that in my world. The biggest difference is that a really good LF buck from my area wouldn’t attract much attention from most in these days of intense management, trips to the Midwest, and HF giants. But that’s OK I reckon. Having said all that, even in east TX with free range deer there are usually a few true “once-in-a-hundred-lifetimes”deer taken every year. Those are the ones that haunt my dreams....

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: At what point.... [Re: redchevy] #8162580 02/09/21 11:22 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
This is quite civil so far. confused2 'Cept for Hud - there's deep brewing malice hidden in there. ninja

I have actually no fence on one stretch, excellent to pitiful low fence on the rest. And I'm very hit or miss on the protein, so, I hope I'm still in the "wild" life category. I know I do my part with the booze and cigars. The deer have to do their part. So far, they're meeting my expectations.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: At what point.... [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #8162599 02/09/21 11:30 PM
B
bphillips Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted by BigfootWallace

I can relate to what you are saying 100%. I miss those days too. By and large things are still like that in my world. The biggest difference is that a really good LF buck from my area wouldn’t attract much attention from most in these days of intense management, trips to the Midwest, and HF giants. But that’s OK I reckon. Having said all that, even in east TX with free range deer there are usually a few true “once-in-a-hundred-lifetimes”deer taken every year. Those are the ones that haunt my dreams....

Some people get way to caught up in what others are doing. I have put a sub 130” deer and a 170”+ deer on the wall in the same year and neither means more than the other. Was very proud of them both and just enjoy myself and what I do. I got plenty of other things to worry about than what someone else thinks of how I hunt and what I’m proud of

[Linked Image]
Re: At what point.... [Re: redchevy] #8162608 02/09/21 11:36 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I drive through the Mayan Dude Ranch when I go to Bandera. Every morning about 7:30 one of the employees throws out a bag of corn. This place is LF. There are at least 30 or more Axis and at least that many or more WT behind the truck when he feeds. Kinda like cattle following the truck throwing out cubes. So are they not like livestock? Folks see and have pictures of a certain Buck they are grooming to take when he gets a few more years on him and hopefully score more. Kinda like a landowner having a certain livestock to sell and thinks they will look better in a year or two. I like this thread. I get tired of the HF bashing and the "Holier Than Thou" attitude on here sometimes.

Re: At what point.... [Re: don k] #8162627 02/09/21 11:45 PM
B
bphillips Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted by don k
I drive through the Mayan Dude Ranch when I go to Bandera. Every morning about 7:30 one of the employees throws out a bag of corn. This place is LF. There are at least 30 or more Axis and at least that many or more WT behind the truck when he feeds. Kinda like cattle following the truck throwing out cubes. So are they not like livestock? Folks see and have pictures of a certain Buck they are grooming to take when he gets a few more years on him and hopefully score more. Kinda like a landowner having a certain livestock to sell and thinks they will look better in a year or two. I like this thread. I get tired of the HF bashing and the "Holier Than Thou" attitude on here sometimes.

Some places just amaze me. Our Mexico lease has lots of deer this way and really for no reason. On our first year we spread some corn with a tailgate feeder, stopped, and I had a video of a 160”+ deer come within 30yd yards of the truck and just stand around eating. That deer didn’t care that we were there and we didn’t even have the feed program in place for a whole year yet. Here at home that would never happen

[Linked Image]
Re: At what point.... [Re: redchevy] #8162648 02/10/21 12:07 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
"Mystery - When there is too much certainty of the kill, does this take away from the Mystery that partially helps define hunting, and separates hunting from the simple act of killing? The importance of “Mystery” also begs the question of can you know too much about a particular animal? The unknown, the uncertainty, the Mystery....it’s an integral property of the product and experience. You remove too much Mystery from the hunt, it is simply no longer hunting...it’s killing.

Magic - When you combine the challenges of the pursuit, along with the mystery of the hunt, in wild habitats, you begin to create Magical moments. These Magical moments cannot always be cookie-cut between one hunter and the next. There are spiritual and special experiences that are sometimes unique to the occasion and may be uniquely personal. This aspect of “the hunt” is one of the greatest challenges of answering the question, “Why do you hunt?” These Magical moments are sometimes so esoteric, that they are virtually impossible to frame-up through words ... these moments are Magical. It should be our aim to keep them this way."

Majesty- As hunters, we should have a duty to show immense respect and appreciation for the game animals we hunt. Only then will those individual animals be seen in a light that brings Majesty and honor to the lives of those animals, ultimately allowing the hunter to not only appreciate that animal’s presence on this earth, but to also allow the hunter to respect the finality of death. And as we tamper too deeply with the natural state of wild animals, do we allow artificial practices to erode the Majesty of those wild animals by encouraging the important values that we hold for livestock to usurp the unique values that we hold for wildlife?"

Last edited by Texas Dan; 02/10/21 12:14 AM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: At what point.... [Re: redchevy] #8162676 02/10/21 12:17 AM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
As soon as I put out the first supplement.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: At what point.... [Re: redchevy] #8162775 02/10/21 01:40 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

[Linked Image]

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: At what point.... [Re: redchevy] #8162852 02/10/21 02:19 AM
R
redchevy Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R
Awe now that’s no fun grin

It's hell eatin em live
Re: At what point.... [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8163290 02/10/21 01:48 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

I've been having some of these thoughts. I am really interested in hunting an Axis as well as some other exotics, but driving around in a truck/sitting on a feeder shooting semi-tame animals is a no-go.

This happens on low fence places quite regularly. Height of the fence has nothing to do with it. How often they come in contact with people, how much/often they are artificially fed, etc. all comes into play. On my small low fence place, if I tailgate feed I will have deer in the road in a matter of minutes. Sometimes they watch me feed and walk up as I drive off. Same scenario on the deer lease i was on over 100 miles away. Very gentle animals, on a low fence/no fence property

In over 10 years of reading these highfence/low fence argument, my opinion is that the majority of these arguments boil down to lack of experience/limited experience on different properties and the test subject is limited as such that its impossible to draw an accurate conclusion.

In laymens terms, people are forming opinions on the subject without really having any actual knowledge, or their scope of knowledge of their own experiences is extremely limited

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: At what point.... [Re: Hudbone] #8163363 02/10/21 02:24 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Full of myself, eager, willing to work, willing to dole it out, willing to be patient, willing to work with others, willing to experience frustration & sometimes failure and then there are some responses to threads akin to this one can make me feel so undeserving.

cheers

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide