Page 1 of 2 1 2
UTV Price Justification #8160231 02/08/21 05:03 AM
S
SouthWestIron Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
I really like them. I know they are super useful and I'd love to have one on my place. Guess I'm just too much of a cheapskate and not willing to borrow one from the bank for a few years. 10-15k for 1000cc or less utv thats a couple years or more old? Dispoable income must be crazy out there as I see a ton of them on trailers going down the road. Either that or every one and there dog is knee deep in debt. Going to hold out as long as I can but man I want one! Guess a CJ,samurai or an old toyota pickup just wouldnt be the same although it would save 5-10 grand.

Re: UTV Price Justification [Re: SouthWestIron] #8160275 02/08/21 07:10 AM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Shop used. Another member here just scored a very nice 2017 Mule FTX for $9000 in Tennessee.

I bought a new RZR Turbo S 4 in January because the new price was cheaper than a used 2020 or 2021 right now.

This is how I justify it. 2 days after I bought it I used it to show a 118 acre “ranch” and now it’s a tax write off.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BigPig; 02/08/21 07:14 AM.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: UTV Price Justification [Re: SouthWestIron] #8160328 02/08/21 12:31 PM
V
Vern1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
Yep, got them used (first one was almost used up) and do ALL work on them myself.
I keep wire, pliers, post driver, axe, etc. in front boot and at least one bag of cattle cubes in the bed so they are farm vehicles and will get written off just like a tractor.

Last edited by Vern1; 02/08/21 01:34 PM.

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: UTV Price Justification [Re: SouthWestIron] #8160377 02/08/21 01:21 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The CanAm has spoiled me as far as ride goes. Driving the Bronco around feels like what a buckboard must have felt like on that ground. Now later this week, in the cold and the rain, that Bronco's heater just might come in handy. 🥶

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: UTV Price Justification [Re: SouthWestIron] #8160418 02/08/21 02:07 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by SouthWestIron
I really like them. I know they are super useful and I'd love to have one on my place. Guess I'm just too much of a cheapskate and not willing to borrow one from the bank for a few years. 10-15k for 1000cc or less utv thats a couple years or more old? Dispoable income must be crazy out there as I see a ton of them on trailers going down the road. Either that or every one and there dog is knee deep in debt. Going to hold out as long as I can but man I want one! Guess a CJ,samurai or an old toyota pickup just wouldnt be the same although it would save 5-10 grand.

Used market there are some deals if you pay attention. Just watch hours/miles. I just missed a great deal on a 17’ mule fx with 1500 miles for 8k

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: UTV Price Justification [Re: SouthWestIron] #8160486 02/08/21 02:57 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
I can relate on buying something like that new, to me it's almost like a toy ... but I use my Kubota RTV for lots of work around multiple ranches and the house. I bought it used and upgraded little things I needed (not wanted), yes it would be nice to have something nicer, faster, smoother riding etc. but it does what I need it to do.

If you are even half way mechanically inclined, you should be able to find a decent used side by side that might need a few little things done for a much cheaper price.

One of my side hobbies is heavy equipment auctions and finding particular items for my friends & clients, mainly tractors, trailers, implements, etc. but I am kinda out of that game lately as I don't have anyone looking for something particular. If you aren't in a rush, I could likely find something for a reasonable price at one of the sales I used to frequent around central Texas. I lean heavily to the Kubota side as these units are very reliable and fairly easy to work on when needed.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: UTV Price Justification [Re: SouthWestIron] #8160537 02/08/21 03:33 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Im sure they are neat. And for some im sure they are practical. For me i dont see the value. They are louder than a truck, expensive, and really dont do anything i want or need them to do. Our property is relatively flat smooth and small enough that we walk most places instead of driving to keep noise etc. down.

Im sure you can find them for significantly less money but they wont run 60 mph and dont have sparkly rims etc.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: UTV Price Justification [Re: redchevy] #8160589 02/08/21 04:12 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by redchevy
Im sure they are neat. And for some im sure they are practical. For me i dont see the value. They are louder than a truck, expensive, and really dont do anything i want or need them to do. Our property is relatively flat smooth and small enough that we walk most places instead of driving to keep noise etc. down.

Im sure you can find them for significantly less money but they wont run 60 mph and dont have sparkly rims etc.

I put roughly 1000 miles on mine first year. One ranch I hunt, if it sprinkles you aren't allowed to drive truck on ranch roads, UTV only, other ranch I hunt you can't hunt 2/3 of ranch out of a truck, unless you had foam filled or tracks..

Overall that's 1000 rough miles for most part. Figure 300-400 per truck tire, it adds up. My radiator is leaking in my F250, I'm 99% positive I bounced it way to much in NM. Since I blew a front shock too. Should of took mule there

It's definitely a lot more ranch road friendly

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: UTV Price Justification [Re: PMK] #8160601 02/08/21 04:22 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by PMK
I can relate on buying something like that new, to me it's almost like a toy ... but I use my Kubota RTV for lots of work around multiple ranches and the house. I bought it used and upgraded little things I needed (not wanted), yes it would be nice to have something nicer, faster, smoother riding etc. but it does what I need it to do.

If you are even half way mechanically inclined, you should be able to find a decent used side by side that might need a few little things done for a much cheaper price.

One of my side hobbies is heavy equipment auctions and finding particular items for my friends & clients, mainly tractors, trailers, implements, etc. but I am kinda out of that game lately as I don't have anyone looking for something particular. If you aren't in a rush, I could likely find something for a reasonable price at one of the sales I used to frequent around central Texas. I lean heavily to the Kubota side as these units are very reliable and fairly easy to work on when needed.

I have owned 3 polaris's and then switched to Kubota and just bought my third one of those. In south texas they are invaluable to me - saves from scratching up or messing up my Ford truck - the Kubota with full cab is just like driving a truck but can go many more places

You can't fix stupid
Re: UTV Price Justification [Re: SouthWestIron] #8160678 02/08/21 05:22 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Our Kubota RTV900 must be at least 12 years old. Never have had any problem with it mechanically. I did notice yesterday that the right tail light is out. Yes, it is loud and won’t go 30 mph, and it rides rough, but if you want a work vehicle, it can’t be beat. Steel cargo bed. Hydraulic lift bed dump. A work machine, not a fun machine.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: UTV Price Justification [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8160689 02/08/21 05:29 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by redchevy

I put roughly 1000 miles on mine first year. One ranch I hunt, if it sprinkles you aren't allowed to drive truck on ranch roads, UTV only, other ranch I hunt you can't hunt 2/3 of ranch out of a truck, unless you had foam filled or tracks..

Overall that's 1000 rough miles for most part. Figure 300-400 per truck tire, it adds up. My radiator is leaking in my F250, I'm 99% positive I bounced it way to much in NM. Since I blew a front shock too. Should of took mule there

It's definitely a lot more ranch road friendly

Im not arguing that. Some folks have a good use, i dont. I think many more folks buy them because they like them than have a need for one, and im ok with that, they can do what they want with their money.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: UTV Price Justification [Re: SouthWestIron] #8160690 02/08/21 05:29 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Never needed one but I can sure see the uses for a UTV.

What I don’t get is the ROXOR. Why not just get a used Jeep CJ you can drive on the road and be done with it? Or a UTV you can go more places in?

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: UTV Price Justification [Re: SouthWestIron] #8160793 02/08/21 07:09 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Life is too short to worry about if something you want to buy is justified. If you like something and can afford it buy it.

Re: UTV Price Justification [Re: SouthWestIron] #8160856 02/08/21 08:15 PM
S
SouthWestIron Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
Love hearing all the opinions. I filled feeders with my truck for years before I got just a simple ATV out here on my place. The ATV has maded not only feeder filling but hunting and even some trapping a lot easier. Mama wants to ride around the place with me so thats yet another variable for wanting/needing one. LOL. Guess I need to stop being so tight.

Re: UTV Price Justification [Re: SouthWestIron] #8160866 02/08/21 08:19 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Mama wants to ride around the place with me ... Guess I need to stop being so tight.
You're done. Count your blessings. Buy the dam thing. And, let her drive it some.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: UTV Price Justification [Re: SouthWestIron] #8160996 02/08/21 10:16 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
If I let Wifeypoo drive, she would get lost. Our place is a perfect quadrangle.

Re: UTV Price Justification [Re: SouthWestIron] #8161124 02/08/21 11:39 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Love hearing all the opinions. I filled feeders with my truck for years before I got just a simple ATV out here on my place. The ATV has maded not only feeder filling but hunting and even some trapping a lot easier. Mama wants to ride around the place with me so thats yet another variable for wanting/needing one. LOL. Guess I need to stop being so tight.

yep, I did similar with my truck for years when I bought the first RTV900 for cheap when no one would start the bid at a heavy equipment auction and I thought I done screwed up since no one raised the bid. I drove 45 miles to borrow a 6x10 trailer from a friend, so I didn't have to drive another hour home to get one of mine. It was a wild drive home as the RTV weight sat behind the trailer axle and anything above about 40 mph caused my 3/4 ton truck to sway like a pirate flag in a hurricane. Anyway, once I got it home, my wife was not happy wife but after using it around the house moving rocks, dirt, sod, etc., she was even sold on its usefulness. I later upgraded to one with the hydraulic bed (used also) and sold the original one to a friend for his ranch (he still has it, '06 model). The hydraulic bed makes it even more useful as I can use my FEL on my tractor to fill up the bed with garden soil, mulch, gravel, etc. to get back into places my tractor won't fit, dump and get another load.

My son has a CanAm Defender that is purely awesome, ride, speed, quiet, etc. but those puppies are way more expensive than I have a need or desire for.

~PMK~
Re: UTV Price Justification [Re: PMK] #8161304 02/09/21 01:25 AM
S
SouthWestIron Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by PMK

yep, I did similar with my truck for years when I bought the first RTV900 for cheap when no one would start the bid at a heavy equipment auction and I thought I done screwed up since no one raised the bid. I drove 45 miles to borrow a 6x10 trailer from a friend, so I didn't have to drive another hour home to get one of mine. It was a wild drive home as the RTV weight sat behind the trailer axle and anything above about 40 mph caused my 3/4 ton truck to sway like a pirate flag in a hurricane. Anyway, once I got it home, my wife was not happy wife but after using it around the house moving rocks, dirt, sod, etc., she was even sold on its usefulness. I later upgraded to one with the hydraulic bed (used also) and sold the original one to a friend for his ranch (he still has it, '06 model). The hydraulic bed makes it even more useful as I can use my FEL on my tractor to fill up the bed with garden soil, mulch, gravel, etc. to get back into places my tractor won't fit, dump and get another load.

My son has a CanAm Defender that is purely awesome, ride, speed, quiet, etc. but those puppies are way more expensive than I have a need or desire for.

Good deal!!

Re: UTV Price Justification [Re: SouthWestIron] #8161347 02/09/21 01:52 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I use mine for work.

I got by for years showing ranches in a 1/2 ton truck but I broke down an bought one for a particularly rough listing I had in the hill country. From one end to the other it was over an hour by truck in the UTV it was 20 min

I enjoy using it for work and it’s certainly a handy tool. For my place I would argue a UTV is a necessity but I don’t need a defender max, a 2 seater mule 610 would be plenty

I always was a “ hunt outta the truck “ guy. I agree with RedChevy about most people buy them because they think they need them, not because they actually do. But there are plenty of us out there that do need them. Hill country ranches in particular they are much better than driving a truck.

They are expensive and make sure you really need one before you pull the trigger. My neighborhood is full of people with $20k can ams that have never left the pavement.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: UTV Price Justification [Re: Hudbone] #8161463 02/09/21 03:07 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Hudbone
If I let Wifeypoo drive, she would get lost. Our place is a perfect quadrangle.

OnX maps app

Re: UTV Price Justification [Re: SouthWestIron] #8162476 02/09/21 10:35 PM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I couldn't make it to half of my lease if I didn't have one, and the half I can make it to in my 3/4 ton will take the fillings out of your teeth if you aren't doing less than 5 mph. I flat out need the SxS. That said, I would love to have an enclosed cab with heat and air conditioning -- I can't say that I NEED that though.

Re: UTV Price Justification [Re: SouthWestIron] #8162551 02/09/21 11:08 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Could I live without the Mule, yes, but it would be a pain not to have it on my place. Purchased it new in 2014 and I bet it has paid for itself - simply because I no longer put my pickup through the abuse of driving through the woods (scratches), and crossing mesquite filled (flats) or water logged (stuck) pastures. It has been at least 3 years since I drove my pickup past my house onto property and that time I only did it because I had some stuff in the bed that I didn't want to unload and then reload into the Mule. I have a tractor, but if I have a choice of leaving it parked and instead using the Mule for projects, I go with the Mule. Just easier...

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: UTV Price Justification [Re: SouthWestIron] #8165363 02/11/21 06:51 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
Re: UTV Price Justification [Re: SouthWestIron] #8165406 02/11/21 07:29 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Well, Heck........I guess I just wasted $20,000 on a SxS when I could have had a $800 Lincoln.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: UTV Price Justification [Re: Mr. T.] #8165484 02/11/21 08:23 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Well, Heck........I guess I just wasted $20,000 on a SxS when I could have had a $800 Lincoln.

you finally upgrade your old Mule?

~PMK~
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide