Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Lets talk waders [Re: mohunter] #8156944 02/05/21 04:05 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I have to admit it, I learned something from a kid less than half my age. After a hunt we were all getting our stuff loaded up and I noticed a guy was wearing some light weight breathable waterproof pants under his waders. Frog Toggs (sp?) I believe.

I owe my crotch a big apology for not thinking of that.

Re: Lets talk waders [Re: mohunter] #8157094 02/05/21 05:32 PM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Some of you guys will spend $10k+ on guns, decoys, boats, calls, blinds, etc but get pinchy when it comes to a few hundred extra dollars on waders..

Probably drive a $70k truck too..

If you want a pair of nice waders with the best warranty and customer service in business buy the Sitkas...

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Lets talk waders [Re: mohunter] #8157143 02/05/21 06:07 PM
M
mohunter Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
M
If money does not matter and you don’t mind spending $750 for bootfoot waders it looks like nothing beats Simms, longer history than anyone else and better warranty than Sitka.

So why is the Sitka the “best”?

Re: Lets talk waders [Re: mohunter] #8157165 02/05/21 06:23 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
My guide does 200+ a year and won't wear anything but Simms G3.

Stay away from Patagonia waders and their "lifetime" guarantee. Their definition of life time is a couple of seasons of use. Asshats will never get my business again.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Lets talk waders [Re: mohunter] #8157203 02/05/21 06:57 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by mohunter
If money does not matter and you don’t mind spending $750 for bootfoot waders it looks like nothing beats Simms, longer history than anyone else and better warranty than Sitka.

great marketing is what makes them the best

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Lets talk waders [Re: BradyBuck] #8157211 02/05/21 07:00 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BradyBuck
Some of you guys will spend $10k+ on guns, decoys, boats, calls, blinds, etc but get pinchy when it comes to a few hundred extra dollars on waders..

If you want a pair of nice waders with the best warranty and customer service in business buy the Sitkas...

What makes them better then Simms? Simms telling Sitka they wouldn’t make them for Sitka.. lol

So you are saying a 3 year product has dethroned the 40 year Bench Mark setting leader?

I’d put Simms against the Sitka outsourced Kokata product anyday of the week.

Last edited by BOBO the Clown; 02/05/21 07:01 PM.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Lets talk waders [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8157234 02/05/21 07:15 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

What makes them better then Simms? Simms telling Sitka they wouldn’t make them for Sitka.. lol

So you are saying a 3 year product has dethroned the 40 year Bench Mark setting leader?

Does Simms make camo waders? Do they make boot foot? I ain't got time to put on waders then have to put on a dang pair of boots. WE GOTS TO GO!

Re: Lets talk waders [Re: BarneyWho] #8157256 02/05/21 07:35 PM
2flyfish4 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I hear ya on boot foot, but stocking foot waders with a good wading boot is 10x more comfortable.
Simms does have camo, but their earth tone waders have never flared ducks for me.

The only reason people think sitka is best is bc if their advertising.

I'll continue to wear my simms g3 and be perfectly happy and dry while people slowly realize their sitkas are just an advertising campaign

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: Lets talk waders [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8157257 02/05/21 07:36 PM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B

Nothing against Simms. However, I can't see that stocking foot being very good and after you buy the Simms and a good boot you are probably spending close to the same anyway.

Re: Lets talk waders [Re: 2flyfish4] #8157263 02/05/21 07:39 PM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by 2flyfish4
I hear ya on boot foot, but stocking foot waders with a good wading boot is 10x more comfortable.
Simms does have camo, but their earth tone waders have never flared ducks for me.

The only reason people think sitka is best is bc if their advertising.

I'll continue to wear my simms g3 and be perfectly happy and dry while people slowly realize their sitkas are just an advertising campaign

I was an anti Sitka guy until I bought the duck oven jacket. It is by far the most comfortable and warmest coat I've ever owned.

I also bought a benie and it ended up being the wrong pattern. Sent it back and they sent me two back. Can't beat that kind of costumer service.

Last edited by BradyBuck; 02/05/21 07:39 PM.

Re: Lets talk waders [Re: BradyBuck] #8157270 02/05/21 07:44 PM
M
mohunter Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
M

Nothing against Simms. However, I can't see that stocking foot being very good and after you buy the Simms and a good boot you are probably spending close to the same anyway.

Before you start taking about the “best” you might want to do some research and know what your talking about first.

Yes Simms makes a camo, bootfoot wader for $750-800 if you want them custom made as well.

They charge $60 to repair after first year as opposed to $125 for Sitka each time.

Re: Lets talk waders [Re: BradyBuck] #8157342 02/05/21 08:29 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

How far have you had to walk in built in boots? If I’m wearing breathable why would I want an insulated boot?

I’ve walked miles of muck bottom, hard bottom, and dry ground. Real Lace up wading boots are way to go, with breathable waters. Even in boat they are better and more comfortable

Im not overly price consequence on good gear, in fact the opposite. I’m not against Sitka gear by any means, I’ll defend them when appropriate. I’m a straight up gear junkie. I own Sitka, kuiu, Simms, artyerx, mountain hardware, stone glacier etc,

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Lets talk waders [Re: mohunter] #8157366 02/05/21 08:59 PM
S
Sinkey Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S

Why is Simms the best? Who says they have better customer service? I grew up trout fishing in Arkansas and promise you Simms waders leak from time to time and have to be repaired. Same as Sitkas, same as most waders. No matter who the manufacturer is, there will be a pair or 2 get out the door from time to time that just wasnt put together great. It happens.

You asked for opinions and looks like people are giving them to you. But you seem to get feathers ruffled if someone mentions Sitka.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Lets talk waders [Re: Sinkey] #8157369 02/05/21 09:04 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Sinkey

Why is Simms the best? Who says they have better customer service? I grew up trout fishing in Arkansas and promise you Simms waders leak from time to time and have to be repaired. Same as Sitkas, same as most waders. No matter who the manufacturer is, there will be a pair or 2 get out the door from time to time that just wasnt put together great. It happens.

You asked for opinions and looks like people are giving them to you. But you seem to get feathers ruffled if someone mentions Sitka.

They all do eventually, their is no best, just personal preference, that’s the point most of us are making.

With that said historically and by use % Simms holds the market world wide as a bench mark.

End of the day both are same Laminate and same seam tape etc. Construction history in this case is the big difference

In his offense OP already said no to Sitka

Re: Lets talk waders [Re: mohunter] #8157374 02/05/21 09:08 PM
S
Sinkey Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I agree Bobo. Either way at the end of day no matter what, Sitka and Simms both make some incredible products.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Lets talk waders [Re: mohunter] #8157838 02/06/21 01:50 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Sitka does not charge for wader repair.

Before you start taking about the “best” you might want to do some research and know what your talking about first.

Yes Simms makes a camo, bootfoot wader for $750-800 if you want them custom made as well.

They charge $60 to repair after first year as opposed to $125 for Sitka each time.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Lets talk waders [Re: mohunter] #8157841 02/06/21 01:52 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K

Years and years of r&d.

I've listened to plenty of podcasts from sitka guys and they never release a product until it's ready. Their binocular harness was in production for 8 years.

Re: Lets talk waders [Re: KWood_TSU] #8157939 02/06/21 02:54 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU

Years and years of r&d.

I've listened to plenty of podcasts from sitka guys and they never release a product until it's ready. Their binocular harness was in production for 8 years.

Well their R&D is 37 years behind Simms, via your thought process

And Only company with a worse bino harness then Sitka is badlands, IMO

Re: Lets talk waders [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8157977 02/06/21 03:35 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K

Years and years of r&d.

Did you have one to test it out?
I've heard mixed reviews on it.

I didn't think Simms was hunting?
Yes, sitka waders are new, but there's also a reason that a vast majority of outfitters and guides wear Sitka.
I've also never seen anyone say that sitka waders are awful.
I didn't like the price of them at all, but I needed a new pair and figured why not. Well, it was a great decision, they are way more comfortable than my gator waders I had.

Re: Lets talk waders [Re: KWood_TSU] #8157991 02/06/21 03:58 AM
J
js4242 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
[quote=KWood_TSU]Sitka does not charge for wader repair.

Not exactly true. They have a good manufactures defect warranty. Anything outside of that you pay for. Not ALL repairs are for free.

This is the rub with Sitka “best” statements - for full disclosure I do have some Sitka gear and I like it. if you haven’t tried every wader on the market you can’t claim what is “best”. You can claim you love your waders and they have been great, but don’t call them best. When ever someone asks a question about gear, some Sitka guys claim they are the best. In this particular example, to put the best label on Sitka when Simms is a proven leader for years is a bit of a stretch.

Service/Non-Warranty Options // *
*Prices are estimates and subject to change.

Tears/Patches/Pinholes: [$30 – $70]
Depending on Severity
Boot Replacement due to wear: [$200]
Suspender Replacement due to wear: [$40]
End of Season Service: [$125]
Complete inspection
Pressure Test
Pinhole leak identification
Boot leak identification
Seam failures
Includes up to 4 pinhole patches
*If a warrantable item is discovered, there will be no charge for Service. Defect repair will be covered under warranty.

Re: Lets talk waders [Re: KWood_TSU] #8157996 02/06/21 04:04 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Years and years of r&d.

Did you have one to test it out?
I've heard mixed reviews on it.

I didn't think Simms was hunting?
Yes, sitka waders are new, but there's also a reason that a vast majority of outfitters and guides wear Sitka.
I've also never seen anyone say that sitka waders are awful.
I didn't like the price of them at all, but I needed a new pair and figured why not. Well, it was a great decision, they are way more comfortable than my gator waders I had.

You think a few ducking hunting guides on Sitka Pro platform means they are preferred?

Simms guide platform is literally world wide, we are taking probably a sales ratio of 400 to 1 ratio if not more.

Nobody said Sitka was awful. OP said he wasn’t looking at Sitka and excluded them right off the bat.

Yes, Sitka, Kuiu, FHF, Marsupial, ACG and elberstock.

Re: Lets talk waders [Re: js4242] #8158031 02/06/21 04:38 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by js4242
[quote=KWood_TSU]Sitka does not charge for wader repair.

Not exactly true. They have a good manufactures defect warranty. Anything outside of that you pay for. Not ALL repairs are for free.

This is the rub with Sitka “best” statements - for full disclosure I do have some Sitka gear and I like it. if you haven’t tried every wader on the market you can’t claim what is “best”. You can claim you love your waders and they have been great, but don’t call them best. When ever someone asks a question about gear, some Sitka guys claim they are the best. In this particular example, to put the best label on Sitka when Simms is a proven leader for years is a bit of a stretch.

Service/Non-Warranty Options // *
*Prices are estimates and subject to change.

Tears/Patches/Pinholes: [$30 – $70]
Depending on Severity
Boot Replacement due to wear: [$200]
Suspender Replacement due to wear: [$40]
End of Season Service: [$125]
Complete inspection
Pressure Test
Pinhole leak identification
Boot leak identification
Seam failures
Includes up to 4 pinhole patches
*If a warrantable item is discovered, there will be no charge for Service. Defect repair will be covered under warranty.

I know what the website says, but they don't charge for wader repair. It's well known in the duck hunting world that they don't.

Re: Lets talk waders [Re: mohunter] #8158037 02/06/21 04:46 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K

You think a few ducking hunting guides on Sitka Pro platform means they are preferred?

Simms guide platform is literally world wide, we are taking probably a sales ratio of 400 to 1 ratio if not more.

Nobody said Sitka was awful. OP said he wasn’t looking at Sitka and excluded them right off the bat.

When Sitka is used by that vast majority of outfitters and guides that's a statement. Sure they end up on the pro platform, but the waders aren't discounted. I've never seen anyone in the hunting world wear Simms waders. I know they are the leader in fishing though.
I think waders are the most subjective thing, but other than that, in the waterfowl world they are the leaders and the best, no debate.

Re: Lets talk waders [Re: KWood_TSU] #8158054 02/06/21 05:16 AM
J
js4242 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J

When Sitka is used by that vast majority of outfitters and guides that's a statement. Sure they end up on the pro platform, but the waders aren't discounted. I've never seen anyone in the hunting world wear Simms waders. I know they are the leader in fishing though.
I think waders are the most subjective thing, but other than that, in the waterfowl world they are the leaders and the best, no debate.

Your statements are ridiculous. I don't know if you troll for the fun of it or are just clueless. Please provide a breakdown of this vast majority you speak of and where you got those stats from.

I guess no one wore waders before Sitka came out. Not counting neoprene, but my experience has been when people talk about quality waders (hunting or fishing), Simms is the top of the list. Sitka has obviously has vaulted up there as well, but to say there is no debate - I don't buy it. if you don't think a lot of those high profile guides/outfitters/lodges are getting a deal on gear you have no clue what you're talking about. It's called a marketing budget and that covers the discount.

Re: Lets talk waders [Re: mohunter] #8158056 02/06/21 05:19 AM
2flyfish4 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
My buddy is a guide, is in the guide program with sitka and he has told me he gets all sitka gear at 50% off retail.

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide