H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by goosebuster
That map is so accurate, lol.

I grew up in Kingwood - we called it the bubble back then. Now I live in Sienna Plantation down in Missouri City. Real nice, growing area and it is close to the coast and my leases on the prairie. Commutes suck, just gotta live with it.

Are some groups still trying to drop Plantation on the name, you know because that word is raYcess and all?

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Houston [Re: Cochise] #8153852 02/03/21 03:22 PM
G
goosebuster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
That was a big to-do I guess last year. They did take "plantation" off the main entrance sign.

Doesn't matter too much to me, I barely fit in around here. Not too many muddy 4 wheelers and flats skiffs rolling around here. I caused a traffic jam on my street the other day when I was cleaning geese on my tailgate. Haha people kept slow rolling me in disbelief.

Re: Houston [Re: TCM3] #8153940 02/03/21 04:12 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by TCM3
Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
Hope this helps...

[Linked Image]

clap

Dang, I am off that map.......

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Houston [Re: Cochise] #8153949 02/03/21 04:15 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Richmond is in there but not Fulshear.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Houston [Re: Cochise] #8153952 02/03/21 04:16 PM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Put the one up for Dallas.
It's hilarious too

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: Houston [Re: goosebuster] #8153954 02/03/21 04:17 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by goosebuster
That was a big to-do I guess last year. They did take "plantation" off the main entrance sign.

Doesn't matter too much to me, I barely fit in around here. Not too many muddy 4 wheelers and flats skiffs rolling around here. I caused a traffic jam on my street the other day when I was cleaning geese on my tailgate. Haha people kept slow rolling me in disbelief.

Nice! I would have liked to have seen that.

Last edited by 68rustbucket; 02/03/21 04:19 PM.

Re: Houston [Re: Cochise] #8154787 02/04/21 12:20 AM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Houston traffic can be bad depending on the commute. I live 7 from work and it takes me 20 minutes, some guys I work with live in Sienna Plantation (50 mile commute) and it takes them just under an hour. Woodlands to downtown can be brutal so can Clear Lake to downtown. 290 is always a mess.
If you need a realtor, let me know.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Houston [Re: Cochise] #8154826 02/04/21 12:38 AM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Yep! Tex flip is right. Living in the Woodlands, or near there, would be my preference, but not if your job is downtown or the Galleria. I worked in the Woodlands for the last 10 or 12 years I worked, but I lived a short drive west of there. The commute wasn’t bad for me. That said, the last couple of times I drove in the Woodlands, the traffic was awful. That place is busy. I wouldn’t choose Kingwood. It was THE place for years, but not now.

I used to tell people I lived in Houston, but the truth is that I was an easy 25 miles from downtown, off of 249. I said “an easy 25 miles”, but if you wanted to really go downtown, easy does not apply. Brutal is the word, much like driving from the Woodlands to downtown on 45.

Work close to where you live. That’s the secret.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Houston [Re: Cochise] #8155335 02/04/21 01:43 PM
C
Cochise Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I appreciate all the advice and info. No idea on where our jobs might be located - that will be the first thing we nail down. Looks like there are similar developments all around by the same builders/floor plans.

I may need a realtor before too long, but we'll likely just build a new home (or buy a new home that's already completed). Biggest piece of the puzzle we're trying to figure out is what to do with our horses - they're all up there in age and my wife has hauled all of them around the state barrel racing in years past...doesn't want to sell them (not worth anything since they're retired) or give them away. So trying to find a solution at home now for somewhere we can keep them for a reasonable price vs boarding them down there (we should clear enough equity to pay off the wife's car completely and put 50% down on a home...kind of negates the whole point of paying the car off if we're paying $900-1200 a month to board three horses).

Re: Houston [Re: Cochise] #8155408 02/04/21 02:31 PM
H
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Acres homes is a neighborhood with acreage inside Houston, not uncommon to see people running their horses down the side of the road. The only problem is.....it's not a great neighborhood by any means.

Re: Houston [Re: Cochise] #8155413 02/04/21 02:36 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
On the northwest side of Houston there are a few larger tract developments that are for horse owners. The ones I know about are east of 290 and west of 249. And north of Highway 6.

Re: Houston [Re: Cochise] #8155475 02/04/21 03:09 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
There's a very very nice subdivision called Willow Creek Ranch. It is beautiful, pricey but beautiful. You should give it a look, it has horse trails and an equestrian center.

link

Re: Houston [Re: S.A. hunter] #8155484 02/04/21 03:12 PM
C
Cochise Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
There's a very very nice subdivision called Willow Creek Ranch. It is beautiful, pricey but beautiful. You should give it a look, it has horse trails and an equestrian center.

link

$800s to the Millions eek2

Re: Houston [Re: Cochise] #8155506 02/04/21 03:23 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Cochise

link

$800s to the Millions eek2

I know, but its beautiful......

Re: Houston [Re: Cochise] #8155507 02/04/21 03:24 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I appreciate all the advice and info. No idea on where our jobs might be located - that will be the first thing we nail down. Looks like there are similar developments all around by the same builders/floor plans.

I may need a realtor before too long, but we'll likely just build a new home (or buy a new home that's already completed). Biggest piece of the puzzle we're trying to figure out is what to do with our horses - they're all up there in age and my wife has hauled all of them around the state barrel racing in years past...doesn't want to sell them (not worth anything since they're retired) or give them away. So trying to find a solution at home now for somewhere we can keep them for a reasonable price vs boarding them down there (we should clear enough equity to pay off the wife's car completely and put 50% down on a home...kind of negates the whole point of paying the car off if we're paying $900-1200 a month to board three horses).

Why not just buy some land and build and keep the horses? There are plenty of places near Houston where you can buy 10-20 acres for less than 200k.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Houston [Re: Cochise] #8155511 02/04/21 03:27 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
What part of town would you be working?

Re: Houston [Re: Cochise] #8155516 02/04/21 03:29 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The places I mentioned are older and not so expensive. I used to pass by the places when I was doing the miles on my road bike. Of course, as time has passed, maybe those places aren’t quite as I remembered them. I’m pretty sure they are still there, but who knows what the land is worth.

Well, if you lived on some acreage around Plantersville and worked in the Woodlands that might work pretty well. But maybe even Plantersville has gotten crowded by now.

Probably my memory of what was isn’t reflective of what is.

Re: Houston [Re: Cochise] #8155524 02/04/21 03:30 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
I had an aunt and uncle that lived in River Oaks. After they passed the new owner tore it down and built the new house facing River Oaks dr. that's when you know you have too much money.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Houston [Re: Cochise] #8155537 02/04/21 03:38 PM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Houston sucks traffic is awful and just wait for July and August if you like to sweat this is the place. Humidity is so thick you can cut it with a knife.

New Hampshire get ready to be taxed to death on everything.

Re: Houston [Re: TexFlip] #8155542 02/04/21 03:42 PM
C
Cochise Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted by TexFlip

Why not just buy some land and build and keep the horses? There are plenty of places near Houston where you can buy 10-20 acres for less than 200k.

Realistically this is a 5 year trial run. I don't even know if we'll like Houston. We're still young (33) and can't have kids - so if we don't really like it we aren't tied down. There seems to be some pretty decent homes in the 350K range...since it's just us we need more space than we have now - but nothing really over 2200-2300 sf...so we'll have the cash to put 50% down - keep the payments low and give us immediate equity if we decide to bail after a few years...If we buy on land and build it's going to be a much bigger cash out lay. Any land that has gotten my attention is in the $175-200 range...So then figure in $150/sf on a 2200 sf house and we're way over the cash I want to get into. By my calculations if we can get in a home around 300 - we should be saving 10-12K per year right off the bat because the wife's car payment will be gone and my tractor payment will be gone, plus a few other little things...and that's before considering any income gains on employment. It's kind of a move to get us ahead financially and to see if we like it...with the thinking that if we do - we can buy land a few years down the road.

Re: Houston [Re: S.A. hunter] #8155554 02/04/21 03:48 PM
C
Cochise Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
C
What part of town would you be working?

No idea yet. This is all early stages. My buddy says he should be able to get me on at the company he works for - but I'm not relying on that.

Wife should be able to find a job just about anywhere as we mainly depend on my income. Our big thing is getting her out of the vet med field and more into an office type setting...the 6 days a week she's been working for the past 8 years have worn her out - not to mention taken time away from us and doing the stuff we enjoy.

Re: Houston [Re: Cochise] #8155567 02/04/21 03:55 PM
H
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
The real estate market is on fire here, my sister sold her crappy house in 2 days for all cash. I know homes in my neighborhood are only on the market for a week or so as long as they are priced correctly.

Re: Houston [Re: Cochise] #8155920 02/04/21 07:46 PM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A

Hate to sound hard, but it's time to sell the horses. A horse needs a job and having horses as pets doesn't make sense (been there). Not only that but the overhead for horse ownership is expensive. Shoeing, shots, medicine, floating teeth, hay &feed, and how knows what if they get sick, talking from experience. When the boys were little we had 5 of them and seamed like a full time job. Glad thoes days are behind us but was a good life experience.

Re: Houston [Re: angus1956] #8155977 02/04/21 08:22 PM
C
Cochise Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted by angus1956

Hate to sound hard, but it's time to sell the horses. A horse needs a job and having horses as pets doesn't make sense (been there). Not only that but the overhead for horse ownership is expensive. Shoeing, shots, medicine, floating teeth, hay &feed, and how knows what if they get sick, talking from experience. When the boys were little we had 5 of them and seamed like a full time job. Glad thoes days are behind us but was a good life experience.

I get where you're coming from but it isn't going to happen.

My wife has raised two of them from weanlings and has had them both 20 + years and the other she got as a 2 year old and that was 19 years ago. On top of that - they have zero value. They are retired rodeo horses - not horses someone can go stick a little kid on. If these were young horses it'd be different story, but given their age and the history - we owe it to them to let them live out their lives where we know they're well taken care of. Is what it is.

Re: Houston [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #8155983 02/04/21 08:26 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER
Originally Posted by TCM3
Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
Hope this helps...

[Linked Image]

clap

Dang, I am off that map.......

guess i'm North of "not what it used to be"

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide