Re: Dont understand anti hedge fund [Re: blanked] #8148155 01/29/21 04:49 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by blanked
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Unless it was invested as poorly as possible, nobody's 401k even had a blip from this. Also, screw hedgefunds. In all honesty the financial market is an extreme mess and should never have gone beyond simple buying/selling stocks. There is WAY too much room for manipulation.

?? All 3 market indexs have been down because of this. Dow nasdaq and s&p. If your 401k isnt effected by any of the 3 your not in the market

Still within 3% of the all-time high from a couple of weeks ago. This is a nothingburger, if it greatly affected your 401k your either have a tiny balance or are poorly invested beyond any measure.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Dont understand anti hedge fund [Re: dkershen] #8148156 01/29/21 04:50 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by dkershen
In the short term, what the Reddit guys did to the market is funny, and cost a lot of rich hedge fund managers and their clients billions. But the SEC will need to make changes to avoid these astronomical unwarranted swings in the future. It's essentially "pump and dump" using social media which is illegal and unethical. For everyone that makes a killing, someone else will get burned. We can't have a bunch of millennials sitting in chat rooms causing false runs (or sales) on a stock they want to profit from. In the long run this really will end up impacting peoples 401Ks and IRA's. The ripple effect is already being seen in the global markets as groups in asia and europe are copying the same "short targeting" strategies as fast as they can before the local authorities shut it down. Just my .02 cents folks.

I disagree, it's same things instructional investors have done for year's to each other. The biggest difference is Reddit guys didn't release any bad press etc to do any thing to cause a short of the stock. They simply noticed there was an abnormallly large % of short positions compared to shares.

No different the montleyfool or any other firm advising a stock is oversold or a bargain.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Dont understand anti hedge fund [Re: Cochise] #8148185 01/29/21 05:07 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
Originally Posted by Cochise
For everyone that makes a killing, someone else will get burned.

And again - you are completely MISSING the point - these "chat room millennials" are NOT out to pump and dump and make a profit. The talking heads are telling you that to protect big money. If you actually take 10 seconds to go read what they're saying you will see that.

Nope. Not missing the point at all. The net game is a classic pump and dump where the late investors are going to get torched. They justify it by saying only hedge fund managers are getting burned. But that will not be the case. They are just among the folks that will get burned before it's over. If Jordon Belfort (Wolf of Wallstreet) calls it a pump and dump, will you take his word for it? He made the strategy famous, and did prison time for it to boot.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...p-wolf-wall-street-belfort-b1794344.html

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Dont understand anti hedge fund [Re: dkershen] #8148190 01/29/21 05:13 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C

And again - you are completely MISSING the point - these "chat room millennials" are NOT out to pump and dump and make a profit. The talking heads are telling you that to protect big money. If you actually take 10 seconds to go read what they're saying you will see that.

Nope. Not missing the point at all. The net game is a classic pump and dump where the late investors are going to get torched. They justify it by saying only hedge fund managers are getting burned. But that will not be the case. They are just among the folks that will get burned before it's over. If Jordon Belfort (Wolf of Wallstreet) calls it a pump and dump, will you take his word for it? He made the strategy famous, and did prison time for it to boot.

Yeah you definitely don't get it.

You have literally millions of people willing to burn a couple hundred bucks to take down hedge funds. Sure - some people will panic and sell (I guess in your eyes a pump and dump) - but the vast majority of these people that have decided "they like the stock" on these message boards and are all in until the end - again - you're listening to talking heads on TV and big money players who are getting slaughtered (or will) - not to what the PEOPLE behind the rise in GME are ACTUALLY saying. They KNOW they will lose money. It is NOT about making or losing money. It is about a message - their own words. I have no skin in this game.

Last edited by Cochise; 01/29/21 05:14 PM.
Re: Dont understand anti hedge fund [Re: swampthang] #8148191 01/29/21 05:15 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by swampthang
do you really think he can just do an ACH transfer of 22 million from his brokerage account to his checking account? Get real.

Of course he can unless it's frozen by the law.

To be determined
Re: Dont understand anti hedge fund [Re: Cochise] #8148207 01/29/21 05:25 PM
S
Stratgolfer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Hedge funds in this case went too far (possibly illegally) betting the stocks would go down and the people from the Reddit group bought a bunch of these stocks so the price would go up just so the hedge fund bets would lose.

"I was called by the Yorkers a outlaw, and later by the english a rebel" Ethan Allen
Re: Dont understand anti hedge fund [Re: Concho] #8148217 01/29/21 05:31 PM
L
leswad Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Concho
The stock market is built on fake money and lies.

Just like the government.

[Linked Image]

FJB
Re: Dont understand anti hedge fund [Re: swampthang] #8148221 01/29/21 05:35 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by redchevy
Reading this thread makes my head spin lol. I took a class in college on stocks etc. and enjoyed it and understood how it worked then but ive slept and drank too much since then to know anything about it now muyloco

This lady does a good job of explaining stocks and hedge funds. Dont forget to unmute.

https://twitter.com/avalonpenrose/status/1354496683938201600

Lmao wth was that?

Re: Dont understand anti hedge fund [Re: blanked] #8148222 01/29/21 05:38 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Unless it was invested as poorly as possible, nobody's 401k even had a blip from this. Also, screw hedgefunds. In all honesty the financial market is an extreme mess and should never have gone beyond simple buying/selling stocks. There is WAY too much room for manipulation.

?? All 3 market indexs have been down because of this. Dow nasdaq and s&p. If your 401k isnt effected by any of the 3 your not in the market

Mine is not effected. The markets were at an all time high like a week ago. My accounts had run up another 7% in just the last month and was at my all time high 4 days ago. A pull back is expected after a run like that. Your 401K is working as it should. Dollar cost averaging, buying lower this week than it did last week to reduce the impact of volatility.

Re: Dont understand anti hedge fund [Re: blanked] #8148229 01/29/21 05:44 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
I dont understand the support fir the little guy against wall street while your own 401ks are nose diving

Wait a minute. The stock market crashed? When did this happen?

Re: Dont understand anti hedge fund [Re: swampthang] #8148239 01/29/21 05:57 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Reading this thread makes my head spin lol. I took a class in college on stocks etc. and enjoyed it and understood how it worked then but ive slept and drank too much since then to know anything about it now muyloco

This lady does a good job of explaining stocks and hedge funds. Dont forget to unmute.

for those that don't tweet, this sums it up nicely...

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Dont understand anti hedge fund [Re: blanked] #8148250 01/29/21 06:02 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Just threw my remote at the TV.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Dont understand anti hedge fund [Re: blanked] #8148254 01/29/21 06:05 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Lmao. $1

Re: Dont understand anti hedge fund [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8148257 01/29/21 06:07 PM
S
swampthang Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter
do you really think he can just do an ACH transfer of 22 million from his brokerage account to his checking account? Get real.

Nah the only way he'll see a dime of that money is if he sues his broker,I assume Robinhood in this case. A judge will probably side with his broker and award the guy a paltry consolation prize amount for playing.

Re: Dont understand anti hedge fund [Re: cbump] #8148260 01/29/21 06:10 PM
S
swampthang Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by cbump

Lmao wth was that?

I dont know but I'm in love with her. grin

Re: Dont understand anti hedge fund [Re: blanked] #8148268 01/29/21 06:20 PM
B
blanked Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Down another 2% today and not letting up. Still along way from being over Suprised most of you are ok with it

Re: Dont understand anti hedge fund [Re: blanked] #8148276 01/29/21 06:25 PM
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Down another 2% today and not letting up. Still along way from being over Suprised most of you are ok with it

I'm surprised your somehow against what happened.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Dont understand anti hedge fund [Re: Cochise] #8148280 01/29/21 06:28 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Yeah you definitely don't get it.

You have literally millions of people willing to burn a couple hundred bucks to take down hedge funds. Sure - some people will panic and sell (I guess in your eyes a pump and dump) - but the vast majority of these people that have decided "they like the stock" on these message boards and are all in until the end - again - you're listening to talking heads on TV and big money players who are getting slaughtered (or will) - not to what the PEOPLE behind the rise in GME are ACTUALLY saying. They KNOW they will lose money. It is NOT about making or losing money. It is about a message - their own words. I have no skin in this game.

That is an incredibly stupid position to take. "I don't care if I lose it all, as long as I make a point." Retarded. Read the reddit threads. These people are investing money they don't have. The ones that got in this early are all out, I guarantee you. In the end, the stock crashes, the hedge funds that have been covering up the whole way still make their money and the last individuals that got in get slaughtered. Just my opinion of course.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Dont understand anti hedge fund [Re: dkershen] #8148287 01/29/21 06:32 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Point is these micro investors are expecting to loose money. They all know there is a fall, company financial support it. Most probably did it on stimulas money.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Dont understand anti hedge fund [Re: swampthang] #8148291 01/29/21 06:34 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter

Nah the only way he'll see a dime of that money is if he sues his broker,I assume Robinhood in this case. A judge will probably side with his broker and award the guy a paltry consolation prize amount for playing.

It's going to get real swampy between Melvin, Citidal, and Robin Hood..... Especially with the new Sec of Treasury and her 900k in speaking engagements bolt

Re: Dont understand anti hedge fund [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8148292 01/29/21 06:37 PM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
In the short term, what the Reddit guys did to the market is funny, and cost a lot of rich hedge fund managers and their clients billions. But the SEC will need to make changes to avoid these astronomical unwarranted swings in the future. It's essentially "pump and dump" using social media which is illegal and unethical. For everyone that makes a killing, someone else will get burned. We can't have a bunch of millennials sitting in chat rooms causing false runs (or sales) on a stock they want to profit from. In the long run this really will end up impacting peoples 401Ks and IRA's. The ripple effect is already being seen in the global markets as groups in asia and europe are copying the same "short targeting" strategies as fast as they can before the local authorities shut it down. Just my .02 cents folks.

I disagree, it's same things instructional investors have done for year's to each other. The biggest difference is Reddit guys didn't release any bad press etc to do any thing to cause a short of the stock. They simply noticed there was an abnormallly large % of short positions compared to shares.

No different the montleyfool or any other firm advising a stock is oversold or a bargain.

Completely agree. Trading houses are market movers for the retail market. In other words, BoA/ML puts out a buy recommendation for Company X, but BoA/ML already purchased that before they put out the buy rec. Retail investors then go off that market news and may or may not purchase. Guaranteed BoA/ML sells Company X before downgrading.

What's the difference with the reddit issue? It's the exact same thing.

Re: Dont understand anti hedge fund [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #8148296 01/29/21 06:40 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER
[
That is an incredibly stupid position to take. "I don't care if I lose it all, as long as I make a point." Retarded. Read the reddit threads. These people are investing money they don't have. The ones that got in this early are all out, I guarantee you. In the end, the stock crashes, the hedge funds that have been covering up the whole way still make their money and the last individuals that got in get slaughtered. Just my opinion of course.

It's not about the position, most expected to loose money, you can still sell right now, and make your money. They will hold though until option periods expire, thus screwing those holding massive short contracts.

Re: Dont understand anti hedge fund [Re: TLew] #8148299 01/29/21 06:41 PM
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by TLew

Completely agree. Trading houses are market movers for the retail market. In other words, BoA/ML puts out a buy recommendation for Company X, but BoA/ML already purchased that before they put out the buy rec. Retail investors then go off that market news and may or may not purchase. Guaranteed BoA/ML sells Company X before downgrading.

agree. good for them!

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Dont understand anti hedge fund [Re: TLew] #8148300 01/29/21 06:42 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by TLew

100x. You are about to see whom is really funded by Wall Street.

Re: Dont understand anti hedge fund [Re: blanked] #8148302 01/29/21 06:43 PM
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread