Page 1 of 2 1 2
CanAm Defender guys? #8144189 01/26/21 06:17 PM
R
reeder05 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
R
I am looking very seriously at these. Been down the Ranger road and not going back. Before recommending the Mule, I think it is a fantastic machine, but I want the Defender.

So my question, is there anything about the Defender that you do not like? Any cons? I think I have watched every YouTube review, read countless forums, but looking forward to the responses from my THF friends.

Also, any dealer recommendations in - around the Metromess?

Thanks!!

Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Wife has always wanted some Hard 8
Re: CanAm Defender guys? [Re: reeder05] #8144199 01/26/21 06:25 PM
C
cxjcherokec Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
When I did my research the lack of aftermarket turned me away. The cage isn't round, its oval. Just be prepared to buy can-am branded accessories. I have a pro-fxt but we have a defender at work. Both do the job but I prefer my mule. I would have saved roughly $2k on my aftermarket upgrades by going with the mule over the CA.

Re: CanAm Defender guys? [Re: cxjcherokec] #8144240 01/26/21 07:01 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by cxjcherokec
When I did my research the lack of aftermarket turned me away. The cage isn't round, its oval. Just be prepared to buy can-am branded accessories. I have a pro-fxt but we have a defender at work. Both do the job but I prefer my mule. I would have saved roughly $2k on my aftermarket upgrades by going with the mule over the CA.

I actually prefer this aspect of the CanAm over mule. Specifically cab/full door ability. Seals up better.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: CanAm Defender guys? [Re: reeder05] #8144261 01/26/21 07:23 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
My advice is there is a huge difference in the HD10 vs HD8, speed, torque, and noise. The HD10 is significantly quieter IMO then the HD8.

I spent a few days hunting in NM and was impressed.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: CanAm Defender guys? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8144281 01/26/21 07:36 PM
R
reeder05 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
R
I was all in with the HD8 going into this past weekend. But now I am fully on board with the HD10 DPS model.

Re: CanAm Defender guys? [Re: reeder05] #8144298 01/26/21 07:52 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by reeder05
I was all in with the HD8 going into this past weekend. But now I am fully on board with the HD10 DPS model.

My buddy has 2k miles on his in 6 months on Hard national forrest roads. As in a blew a shock on my truck.

He has had zero issues.

Think you will be very happy.

Re: CanAm Defender guys? [Re: reeder05] #8144311 01/26/21 08:08 PM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I love my HD10 Max Lonestar edition. The only item I don't like and I'm trying to fix is the mud spray. The wheels sit outside the fenders which means that mud goes everywhere, and there are no spacers on my rig. I have new fender flares in that I'm going to put on and hopefully fix that.

Otherwise, I'm beyond happy with my machine. I've towed almost 3k lbs with it (well over the limit) and no issues. It goes places that mules can't go, and in some cases it's quieter.

Re: CanAm Defender guys? [Re: TLew] #8144373 01/26/21 08:56 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by TLew
I love my HD10 Max Lonestar edition. The only item I don't like and I'm trying to fix is the mud spray. The wheels sit outside the fenders which means that mud goes everywhere, and there are no spacers on my rig. I have new fender flares in that I'm going to put on and hopefully fix that.

Otherwise, I'm beyond happy with my machine. I've towed almost 3k lbs with it (well over the limit) and no issues. It goes places that mules can't go, and in some cases it's quieter.

Where can a crew Can am max go that a mule pro can’t? The mule is quieter under 10-15 but Can Am 10 is quieter
Above that for sure.

Re: CanAm Defender guys? [Re: reeder05] #8144377 01/26/21 09:00 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
As of last week, I now own 2 Defenders. The 2021 is supposedly 30% quieter than my 2019. The 2019 is my first UTV ever, so I don't have anything to offer as a comparison opinion. They are very, very proud of their accessories, but I guess it's the old free market at work and the demand is high. I got a quote on a Honda Pioneer, but the San Antonio dealer prices, compared to list prices on Honda's website ("destination", "prep", etc.) constituted customer rape. The first one I bought at Hoffpauir and delivered it to the ranch. The second one I bought at Destination Cycle in Kerrville; they're convenient for me to have them serviced.

I'm spending it before Biden's Equity Czar redistributes it. banana2

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: CanAm Defender guys? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8144406 01/26/21 09:21 PM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Where can a crew Can am max go that a mule pro can’t? The mule is quieter under 10-15 but Can Am 10 is quieter
Above that for sure.

Biggest problem I've found between my lease member's mules and my can am is grades. The suspension and center of gravity seem better on the Can Am than in the Mule.

Re: CanAm Defender guys? [Re: TLew] #8144830 01/27/21 01:56 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Above that for sure.

Biggest problem I've found between my lease member's mules and my can am is grades. The suspension and center of gravity seem better on the Can Am than in the Mule.

Interesting I can go anywhere in low in mule, anywhere. I’ve been up grades where you are looking at nothing but sky. Where as the crew can am high centered on stuff I’d have no issue with. Now there is stuff I have to go up in low, I’ve seen HD10 run in high, but that 200cc engine difference shows more in high gear. Mule is geared lower then the Can Am in low.

Re: CanAm Defender guys? [Re: reeder05] #8145807 01/27/21 08:39 PM
Z
ZK-315 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Z
I have a 2019 lonestar that I have been a huge fan of. The 2020s and up have 10 more HP and supposedly 30% quieter than the 2019 and older. I dont feel that my 2019 is loud by any means. I've pulled a 4.5 ton feed trailer with it once, and it pulled it pretty well. I wouldn't recommend it because stopping was quite the ride lol.

I've pulled a lot of the factory stuff off of mine and replaced it with aftermarket stuff. I pulled the plastic roof and now have the fortress steel roof so i can stand on it filling feeders or glassing. The factory suspension is very smooth, but I put a set of the S3 HD springs due to the weight i throw in the bed. This also gained me about 2" of more ground clearance to where I can run 32" tires on it now.

The biggest downfall I have with mine right now is the dust swirling inside. I have a glass front windshield and roof, and anything over about 10mph the dust swirl is terrible. I hear a rear window and half doors (or even full doors) fix this. With the windshield tilted up, I get very minimal amount of dust inside.

Canam is proud of their stuff, but there's a ton of aftermarket companies out there for different things. If I could do it again, I'd buy another defender just like it. I've been very pleased with it.

Re: CanAm Defender guys? [Re: reeder05] #8145848 01/27/21 09:02 PM
H
HogBranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Get the fender flares, your going to want them. Mud fly's in your face without them. Other than that I love mine.

The dust swirl mentioned above is true of any type of side by side.

Re: CanAm Defender guys? [Re: ZK-315] #8145849 01/27/21 09:02 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by ZK-315
I have a 2019 lonestar that I have been a huge fan of. The 2020s and up have 10 more HP and supposedly 30% quieter than the 2019 and older. I dont feel that my 2019 is loud by any means. I've pulled a 4.5 ton feed trailer with it once, and it pulled it pretty well. I wouldn't recommend it because stopping was quite the ride lol.

I've pulled a lot of the factory stuff off of mine and replaced it with aftermarket stuff. I pulled the plastic roof and now have the fortress steel roof so i can stand on it filling feeders or glassing. The factory suspension is very smooth, but I put a set of the S3 HD springs due to the weight i throw in the bed. This also gained me about 2" of more ground clearance to where I can run 32" tires on it now.

The biggest downfall I have with mine right now is the dust swirling inside. I have a glass front windshield and roof, and anything over about 10mph the dust swirl is terrible. I hear a rear window and half doors (or even full doors) fix this. With the windshield tilted up, I get very minimal amount of dust inside.

Canam is proud of their stuff, but there's a ton of aftermarket companies out there for different things. If I could do it again, I'd buy another defender just like it. I've been very pleased with it.

Pre cab on my mule, the half doors cut back dust significantly. I didn't realize how much until I took them off getting ready for new cab. Huge difference in dust

I image it's exact same thing on defender

Re: CanAm Defender guys? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8145879 01/27/21 09:17 PM
Z
ZK-315 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by HogBranch
Get the fender flares, your going to want them. Mud fly's in your face without them. Other than that I love mine.

The dust swirl mentioned above is true of any type of side by side.

I agree with the fender flares. There's two sizes. The sports are only about an inch or so wide and the other set is about 3" wide. I got the large ones and by far the best purchase I've made.
Originally Posted by ZK-315

Pre cab on my mule, the half doors cut back dust significantly. I didn't realize how much until I took them off getting ready for new cab. Huge difference in dust

They say its a lot better, but $1600 for a set of half doors is steep!

Re: CanAm Defender guys? [Re: reeder05] #8145932 01/27/21 09:45 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
A friend took trailer floor rubber and used it as fender extensions and worked well. Thinking about doing it for my mule due to mudd.

I'd look after market

Re: CanAm Defender guys? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8146018 01/27/21 10:37 PM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T

Above that for sure.

Interesting I can go anywhere in low in mule, anywhere. I’ve been up grades where you are looking at nothing but sky. Where as the crew can am high centered on stuff I’d have no issue with. Now there is stuff I have to go up in low, I’ve seen HD10 run in high, but that 200cc engine difference shows more in high gear. Mule is geared lower then the Can Am in low.

The up grades is true, I go up in high while they go up in low. I was more talking about traversing grades. Mule guys feel like they are going to tip where I feel rock solid.

I have the back glass and it cut down on dust tremendously. I may have to spring for half doors now to get rid of it all together. The other item that helps is I keep my windshield cracked to flow air in from the front and force swirl out the sides since the back is fully closed.

Re: CanAm Defender guys? [Re: reeder05] #8146058 01/27/21 10:52 PM
K
KBTXHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
2019 Lone Star. I have Eagle MTX aftermarket roof, bumpers, and fender flares. They are very well built, and rhino lined. 1100 miles on it and not a problem 1 with it. Best machine I have ever owned. This is with stock tires and upgraded tires I bought last summer.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Low Expectations Championship Smokers
"Look Good Doin' It..."
Re: CanAm Defender guys? [Re: reeder05] #8146079 01/27/21 11:02 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I have a 2018 HD 8 Max and love it. Zero issues, I use it like it was made to be used

Better seats than the mule, better stock tires, more ground clearance, etc.

I like the 10’s but the HD 8 has performed flawlessly. Will do 54 mph with me in it with a half tank of gas.

I don’t have a single complaint about it and would buy it again tomorrow.

In Texas I can’t see a reason to buy the 10. Maybe in the mountains where you need to Pull a trailer up grades at high elevations.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: CanAm Defender guys? [Re: reeder05] #8146899 01/28/21 04:54 PM
R
reeder05 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
R
Hey thanks for the comments fellas.

Now off to find a dealer that has what I want in stock!!

Re: CanAm Defender guys? [Re: cxjcherokec] #8149205 01/30/21 05:16 PM
H
huntingbig8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Originally Posted by cxjcherokec

I have loved my Can-AM, I also bought all the accessories, roof, bumpers, high rack, light bars, lift, everything right beside you at Eagle Mountain Outfitters by the lake. Best UTV I have ever had and i've been thru 4/5

Re: CanAm Defender guys? [Re: reeder05] #8149383 01/30/21 09:10 PM
R
Ringtail Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I also have a 2018 Defender XT HD 8 and love it! No issues with it so far. Made my own rear view mirror to improve backing. One small issue is that I wish it had the Drive/Reverse/Neutral/Etc settings lit up or at least painted white where you could see them in the dark easier.

Re: CanAm Defender guys? [Re: reeder05] #8153548 02/03/21 07:30 AM
E
EmergencyDoc Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
Have a 2021 Lonestar Max, added a folding front windshield, half doors, gun rack on the roll bars and light bars. Love it! Only complaint would be that the stock headlights are junk, get a light bar for sure. Other than that, rides like a caddy over any type of terrain. Bought mine for our property in the Ouchitas in Arkansas.

Re: CanAm Defender guys? [Re: EmergencyDoc] #8153961 02/03/21 04:24 PM
Z
ZK-315 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by EmergencyDoc
Have a 2021 Lonestar Max, added a folding front windshield, half doors, gun rack on the roll bars and light bars. Love it! Only complaint would be that the stock headlights are junk, get a light bar for sure. Other than that, rides like a caddy over any type of terrain. Bought mine for our property in the Ouchitas in Arkansas.

Do you have any pics of the gun rack you have? I'm always looking for something better. I have some mounted on the underside of the middle seats on mine and one of those gun bags attached to my high seat.

Re: CanAm Defender guys? [Re: reeder05] #8154225 02/03/21 06:52 PM
E
EmergencyDoc Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
ZK- it’s the seizmik over head gun rack. Just put it on Sunday, haven’t tried it yet. Will post back when I do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide