Forums46
Topics537,693
Posts9,727,864
Members87,033
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: POI of heavier vs. lighter bullets [Re: HicksHunter] #8144425 01/26/21 09:34 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by HicksHunter
Again, I challenge anyone here to shoot their two best shooting loads of different grains and/or velocity at a distance closer than their zero (thanks for helping clarify this, WP), and post a picture of your results. 100% the slower bullet will impact higher, negating the idea that it's due to harmonics.

I'll even film a video next time I go to the range demonstrating this with several firearms. Handguns and rifles of both centerfire and rimfire varieties.

You're suggesting a bullet is on the fall at 100 yards then.

That is 100% false. Center fire rifles rise from muzzle to 100 yards, and fall after 100 yards.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: POI of heavier vs. lighter bullets [Re: P_102] #8144432 01/26/21 09:40 PM
H
HicksHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted by P_102
Please point out where I said that.......or do you have a difficult time with English?

Ahh, was reading on my phone, misunderstood.

The leaving at the top of the wave is exactly the point, though. It controls for this wacky idea of wildly shifting POI due to harmonics. Two loads that seem to agree with the harmonics of the barrel should have the same POI according to JG, right?

Re: POI of heavier vs. lighter bullets [Re: J.G.] #8144435 01/26/21 09:40 PM
H
HicksHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Again, I challenge anyone here to shoot their two best shooting loads of different grains and/or velocity at a distance closer than their zero (thanks for helping clarify this, WP), and post a picture of your results. 100% the slower bullet will impact higher, negating the idea that it's due to harmonics.

I'll even film a video next time I go to the range demonstrating this with several firearms. Handguns and rifles of both centerfire and rimfire varieties.

You're suggesting a bullet is on the fall at 100 yards then.

That is 100% false. Center fire rifles rise from muzzle to 100 yards, and fall after 100 yards.

How do you figure? This entire thread I've been talking about short ranges where the bullet is still rising.

And you realize you can have a sharper trajectory than just having a 100yd zero be the apex of travel right? My M16A4, for example, has a 36/300 zero, and shoots several inches high at 100 yards.

Last edited by HicksHunter; 01/26/21 09:42 PM.
Re: POI of heavier vs. lighter bullets [Re: HicksHunter] #8144453 01/26/21 09:47 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Because you said the slower bullet will be higher than the faster bullet. That would be you suggesting the bullet was on the fall inside 100 yards. It is not.

Go back and re-read me telling you about the "MOA Walk back".

That rifle I learned it on, 7 yard correction was the same as 875 yard correction. Almost everything out there, to hit perfect at 50 yards, is exactly the same correction to hit perfect at 200 yards. Sight height has a whole lot to do with it. In fact that is most of it.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: POI of heavier vs. lighter bullets [Re: J.G.] #8144454 01/26/21 09:48 PM
H
HicksHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Because you said the slower bullet will be higher than the faster bullet. That would be you suggesting the bullet was on the fall inside 100 yards. It is not.

That rifle I learned it on, 7 yard correction was the same as 875 yard correction. Almost everything out there, to hit perfect at 50 yards, is exactly the same correction to hit perfect at 200 yards. Sight height has a whole lot to do with it. In fact that is most of it.

Yes, that's exactly what I said. When the bullets are still rising, the slower bullet will be higher than the faster bullet.

Re: POI of heavier vs. lighter bullets [Re: HicksHunter] #8144459 01/26/21 09:51 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Yes, that's exactly what I said. When the bullets are still rising, the slower bullet will be higher than the faster bullet.

At 20, 40, 60 yards?

No it won't. 2000 fps MV on the slow one, 3000 fps MV, no the slow one won't be higher. Because both of them are rising to 100 yards.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: POI of heavier vs. lighter bullets [Re: HicksHunter] #8144462 01/26/21 09:53 PM
P_102 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by P_102
Please point out where I said that.......or do you have a difficult time with English?

Ahh, was reading on my phone, misunderstood.

The leaving at the top of the wave is exactly the point, though. It controls for this wacky idea of wildly shifting POI due to harmonics. Two loads that seem to agree with the harmonics of the barrel should have the same POI according to JG, right?

Incorrect, JG nor anyone else here has said that. Everyone here has argued that, due to harmonics, the bullets could be leaving the barrel when it is at different points in the wave (top, bottom, middle or even right/left) which causes the discrepancy.....

You seem to be having a problem understanding that ballistics and harmonics are two completely different things.

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: POI of heavier vs. lighter bullets [Re: J.G.] #8144466 01/26/21 09:55 PM
H
HicksHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H

At 20, 40, 60 yards?

No it won't. 2000 fps MV on the slow one, 3000 fps MV, no the slow one won't be higher. Because both of them are rising to 100 yards.

Now you're starting to understand the parameters. 20, 40, and 60 yards are all excellent testing points. Go give it a shot with your two best shooting loads, 100% the slower load will print higher.

Re: POI of heavier vs. lighter bullets [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8144486 01/26/21 10:07 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
If the rifle is zeroed with both bullets i think I can see HicksHunter's side.

I have fired slower/heavier rounds out of a rifle that impacted higher at 100 yards than lighter faster bullets in the same rifle when the rifle was not individually zeroed.

My factory rem 180 grain 30-06 is zeroed at 100 yards. It is on the fall at 100 yards. It has a zero at appx 50 and 100 yards.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: POI of heavier vs. lighter bullets [Re: redchevy] #8144594 01/26/21 11:21 PM
C
cxjcherokec Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted by redchevy

I have fired slower/heavier rounds out of a rifle that impacted higher at 100 yards than lighter faster bullets in the same rifle when the rifle was not individually zeroed.

My factory rem 180 grain 30-06 is zeroed at 100 yards. It is on the fall at 100 yards. It has a zero at appx 50 and 100 yards.

Back to the point the harmonics changed due to heavier bullets with a diff powder charge. What is indeterminable is measuring where the node is. You would have to replicate the exact harmonics to prove/disprove hicks theory which to me cant be done.

Re: POI of heavier vs. lighter bullets [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8144607 01/26/21 11:35 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Ok Hicks, run your test this way and tell me what you come up with:
Same gun. Light fast bullet first. Zero at 25 yards. Now shoot it at 100.
Same gun. Slow heavy bullet second. Zero at 25 yards. Now shoot it at 100.
They are both starting out at the same poi before any drop occurs. If there is a difference in trajectory it will be apparent. Post your results and get back to us.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: POI of heavier vs. lighter bullets [Re: Smokey Bear] #8144614 01/26/21 11:41 PM
H
HicksHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
They are both starting out at the same poi before any drop occurs. If there is a difference in trajectory it will be apparent. Post your results and get back to us.

Unfortunately this is a different test under different conditions than OP was using. OP's question is essentially around firing two separate loads without changing point of aim/zeroing.

Last edited by HicksHunter; 01/26/21 11:43 PM.
Re: POI of heavier vs. lighter bullets [Re: cxjcherokec] #8144620 01/26/21 11:47 PM
H
HicksHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted by cxjcherokec

Back to the point the harmonics changed due to heavier bullets with a diff powder charge. What is indeterminable is measuring where the node is. You would have to replicate the exact harmonics to prove/disprove hicks theory which to me cant be done.

This is true. Because harmonics behave somewhat strangely, one can't say with any confidence that they have been eliminated. However, the shift in POI, rather than just group size, is so minimal as to be pointless within this discussion.

Like I mentioned earlier, how does one's load testing behave when you shoot a series of increasing powder charges? They don't string randomly up and down throughout the series of charges despite the harmonics of the barrel certainly changing. They behave very predictably, especially at close ranges. After all, why is ladder testing mostly pointless at 100 yards?

Re: POI of heavier vs. lighter bullets [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8144650 01/27/21 12:06 AM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Hicks I admit it could be me, but one of us is not understanding something here.

Re: POI of heavier vs. lighter bullets [Re: wp75169] #8144662 01/27/21 12:13 AM
H
HicksHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted by wp75169
Hicks I admit it could be me, but one of us is not understanding something here.

grin

It's definitely gotten a bit esoteric.

Re: POI of heavier vs. lighter bullets [Re: HicksHunter] #8144668 01/27/21 12:16 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Like I mentioned earlier, how does one's load testing behave when you shoot a series of increasing powder charges? They don't string randomly up and down throughout the series of charges despite the harmonics of the barrel certainly changing. They behave very predictably, especially at close ranges. After all, why is ladder testing mostly pointless at 100 yards?

Well they can string randomly up and down.

And they can behave unpredictable. Even at 100 yards.

Have you load tested a rifle before? Or is all your stance based off of theory? Did you vote for Biden because he said he was going to make things better?

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: POI of heavier vs. lighter bullets [Re: J.G.] #8144671 01/27/21 12:19 AM
H
HicksHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H

Have you load tested a rifle before? Or is all your stance based off of theory? Did you vote for Biden because he said he was going to make things better?

I'd hate to shoot your spaghetti noodle barreled rifle or awful loads if you're seeing multiple inches of POI shift at 100 yards.

Last edited by HicksHunter; 01/27/21 12:20 AM.
Re: POI of heavier vs. lighter bullets [Re: HicksHunter] #8144688 01/27/21 12:28 AM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear

Unfortunately this is a different test under different conditions than OP was using. OP's question is essentially around firing two separate loads without changing point of aim/zeroing.

For the OP, it is a crap shoot where a different load will shoot in comparison to your tried and true old favorite until you shoot it. If it groups well enough to suit you, make note of the difference in poi and you can seamlessly change loads back and forth by making the known adjustments to your sights. With today’s lack of available ammunition, lots of shooters are faced with changing loads out of necessity.

Hicks,
Yes and what I suggested will prove that your logic is incorrect. If you don’t understand why I suggested that, study on it some. With all due respect Hicks, there is a lot of experience weighing in on this thread. Too many here that have worked up and shot too many loads, light and heavy, slow and fast, in too many rifles, to not know better than to agree with what you are suggesting. First hand experience is being freely shared with you by several in this thread.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 01/27/21 12:55 AM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: POI of heavier vs. lighter bullets [Re: cxjcherokec] #8144700 01/27/21 12:36 AM
B
bjh Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Here is a real world experience Hicks, proving its harmonics. My sons 6.5CM prints a 0 with 140gr AMAX. Put on the AAC can and note there is a POI shift 1" lower than w/o. MV stayed the same, same lot, same bullet, everything is 100% the same minus adding the can. THAT proves harmonics, without a doubt.

That just you put weight on the barrel and it is shooting low because of the weight.

Re: POI of heavier vs. lighter bullets [Re: HicksHunter] #8144736 01/27/21 01:05 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

I'd hate to shoot your spaghetti noodle barreled rifle or awful loads if you're seeing multiple inches of POI shift at 100 yards.

I shoot all kinds of people's rifles.
And my loads are top of the line.
This was a test load yesterday with a cross wind. The owner of this rifle was quite happy about it.
The Proof Research barrel gets a tad hot at the third rounds and slings it a bit. Happened every time.

[Linked Image]

But please continue to feel you are educating us. And now you have FINALLY moved to insults.

You lose.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: POI of heavier vs. lighter bullets [Re: J.G.] #8144741 01/27/21 01:08 AM
H
HicksHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H

I shoot all kinds of people's rifles.
And my loads are top of the line.
This was a test load yesterday with a cross wind. The owner of this rifle was quite happy about it.
The Proof Research barrel gets a tad hot at the third rounds and slings it a bit. Happened every time.

[ig]https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...-10697-277638-img_20210125_143012331.jpg[/img]

But please continue to feel you are educating us. And now you have FINALLY moved to insults.

You lose.

I was only responding in kind.

You still haven't provided any theoretical bais or real-world results that can explain this at close ranges. Although you're obviously stubborn enough not to try something despite ballistic calculators and the advice of another shooter, I do hope you'll give it a shot sometime in the future.

Last edited by HicksHunter; 01/27/21 01:09 AM.
Re: POI of heavier vs. lighter bullets [Re: HicksHunter] #8144798 01/27/21 01:37 AM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G

This is true. Because harmonics behave somewhat strangely, one can't say with any confidence that they have been eliminated. However, the shift in POI, rather than just group size, is so minimal as to be pointless within this discussion.

Actually they do string quite a bit at even at 100 yards. Here is 9 loads from 36.9 to 38 grains of powder. I could not find a good node in this powder range.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by GLC; 01/27/21 01:41 AM.

Re: POI of heavier vs. lighter bullets [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8144819 01/27/21 01:49 AM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Damn I’m glad you found one GLC. I looked back and had deleted all mine.

Re: POI of heavier vs. lighter bullets [Re: wp75169] #8144883 01/27/21 02:34 AM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Originally Posted by wp75169
Damn I’m glad you found one GLC. I looked back and had deleted all mine.

smile

Re: POI of heavier vs. lighter bullets [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8144889 01/27/21 02:39 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Wp I do appreciate the name for that load. I am still LMAO clap

[Linked Image]
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide