Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pickup, SUV or Time For Van Life? #8144138 01/26/21 05:20 PM
B
Blue Moon Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
Pickups will likely always be the most popular vehicles for the local hunting and fishing tribe but I tend to venture far and wide so personally, I never seem to have enough indoor dry cargo space, especially when I’m traveling overland on extended overnight road trips. In my case, besides fishing gear, I’m also usually hauling photography and often sensitive astronomy gear that ride better, or at least with more peace of mind, in the back of a Suburban; a vehicle that transforms from family wagon to gear hauler with the rear seats folded flat. With the seats down flat, the Suburban provides long bed pickup size floorspace capable of hauling a ton of gear.

If you want to avoid borrowing trouble, it helps to eliminate things you worry about. I’ve found leaving things you care about in the bed of a truck or on an open trailer provides a chance to worry every time you stop and leave your vehicle. It only worsens on overnight adventures and I’d rather get a good nights sleep if I’m on a road trip.

Overall the Suburban has been a great daily driver. As time nears to think about a new vehicle, I try to honestly evaluate my needs. Besides optics, I’m often hauling motorcycles, mountain bikes, kayaks and a ton of other gear including heavy tools required for endless DIY building projects. Rarely a week passes without the need to tow something but rather than extreme heavy duty loads where a pickup is usually the best or only option, the majority of my towing needs are common outdoorsman; hauling a vintage Airstream, fishing boats and utility trailers down the road.

Recently as the year came to a close, and voodoo tax math came into play, I started looking for a new vehicle and went through the pros and cons of a truck vs SUV. Somehow in this sensible process that usually starts with me wanting, but eliminating a pickup and choosing a large SUV, I decided it would be a good time to build out a multipurpose cargo van to serve as my toy, tool and vintage Airstream hauler.

Here are some videos that feature vans built for various purposes.

TouRig Bruce Banner Sprinter Build

Dingy Toy Hauler

Good Toy Hauler video but turn off the lame music. Inside configurations start about a minute in.

Re: Pickup, SUV or Time For Van Life? [Re: Blue Moon] #8144184 01/26/21 06:12 PM
glens Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Heck just buy my camper for less than a new 1 ton and call it good. cool2 [Linked Image]

Last edited by glens; 01/26/21 06:32 PM.
Re: Pickup, SUV or Time For Van Life? [Re: Blue Moon] #8144206 01/26/21 06:35 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Going to be a bear. Be a grizzly

https://earthroamer.com/

[Linked Image]

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Pickup, SUV or Time For Van Life? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8144210 01/26/21 06:36 PM
glens Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

[Linked Image]

" A well equipped LTi will generally come out to a final price in the $650,000 – $700,000 range." " The price of an EarthRoamer HD is $1,700,000 plus options" . eeks333

Last edited by glens; 01/26/21 06:38 PM.
Re: Pickup, SUV or Time For Van Life? [Re: glens] #8144220 01/26/21 06:43 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by glens

" A well equipped LTi will generally come out to a final price in the $650,000 – $700,000 range." " The price of an EarthRoamer HD is $1,700,000 plus options" . eeks333

I’d go used..... but a Grizzly is a Grizzly
roflmao

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Pickup, SUV or Time For Van Life? [Re: glens] #8144244 01/26/21 07:05 PM
B
Blue Moon Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
Heck just buy my camper for less than a new 1 ton and call it good. cool2

That's a sweet looking Prevost.

Originally Posted by BoBo the Clown

The EarthRoamers and similar store bought offroad rigs are great if you need that much capability and don't mind spending the cash. I'm more of a DIY guy and enjoy the building process.

Re: Pickup, SUV or Time For Van Life? [Re: Blue Moon] #8144247 01/26/21 07:08 PM
glens Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Blue Moon

The EarthRoamers and similar store bought offroad rigs are great if you need that much capability and don't mind spending the cash. I'm more of a DIY guy and enjoy the building process.

Yeah, I've owned it for 10 years and counting. . Time for something else.

Re: Pickup, SUV or Time For Van Life? [Re: Blue Moon] #8144248 01/26/21 07:09 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Do you guys have to pay property taxes on those things? confused2

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Pickup, SUV or Time For Van Life? [Re: bill oxner] #8144262 01/26/21 07:23 PM
glens Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Do you guys have to pay property taxes on those things? confused2

No but the vehicle registration fees were a killer 10 years ago.
Seems like well over $10,000 when I bought. At 40,000 lbs. Yearly Texas Tag moola is a pita also.

Last edited by glens; 01/26/21 07:24 PM.
Re: Pickup, SUV or Time For Van Life? [Re: Blue Moon] #8144358 01/26/21 08:47 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Van life fo sho...

[Linked Image]

Bring A Trailer

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Pickup, SUV or Time For Van Life? [Re: Blue Moon] #8144376 01/26/21 08:59 PM
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
We park our home where we want to, in a central location, and then use the UTV for running around everywhere!!

[Linked Image]

Beer and whiskey, 'cause you can't drink bacon!!
Re: Pickup, SUV or Time For Van Life? [Re: Blue Moon] #8144389 01/26/21 09:08 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Hey, to each his own. Vans are the “it” things right now. Like most everything, advantages but also disadvantages. Me, I just can’t roll with a van.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Pickup, SUV or Time For Van Life? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #8144434 01/26/21 09:40 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
Hey, to each his own. Vans are the “it” things right now. Like most everything, advantages but also disadvantages. Me, I just can’t roll with a van.

I saw a post on reddit yesterday about people overlanding in a prius. That makes even a van look cool

Re: Pickup, SUV or Time For Van Life? [Re: Dustnsand] #8144448 01/26/21 09:45 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by z71dustin
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie

I saw a post on reddit yesterday about people overlanding in a prius. That makes even a van look cool

As my Momma would say, “Well that’s just silly.” smile

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Pickup, SUV or Time For Van Life? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #8144492 01/26/21 10:10 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
Get a boat...........sail or house.......and anchor out. If youre going to stay in the USA........

MAn a good place is the Fort Myers Yacht Basin...........on the Caloosahatchee river.........you can anchor out.

Re: Pickup, SUV or Time For Van Life? [Re: The Dude Abides] #8147157 01/28/21 08:07 PM
B
Blue Moon Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308
Van life fo sho...

[Linked Image]

Bring A Trailer

TXGUNNER308 - In my youth I started with a cheap truck and sleeping bag but after experiencing a few overnight storms and having gear stolen from the bed of the truck, I traded it for a cargo van I used as a moto-hauler for race weekends. The van wasn't nearly as cool as the truck but it was great when it was raining and I had company... For a short time after I stopped racing bikes, I had a VW camper. Loved it but it was slow, hot and really couldn't tow anything so I sold it and yes, I wish I still had it...

Originally Posted by Blank
We park our home where we want to, in a central location, and then use the UTV for running around everywhere!!

[Linked Image]

Blank - Sweet view. Lot to be said for living with the freedom to roam...

Originally Posted by stealtherest64
Get a boat...........sail or house.......and anchor out. If you’re going to stay in the USA........Man - a good place is the Fort Myers Yacht Basin...........on the Caloosahatchee river.........you can anchor out.

Stealtherest64 - Agree that's a cool life - One of my business partners has a cat on the other side of the state. Makes for the ultimate office with a view...
[Linked Image]

Re: Pickup, SUV or Time For Van Life? [Re: Blue Moon] #8147179 01/28/21 08:22 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I get it, I’m an f250 guy with camper shell and a MSR reactor stove.

With that said as I get older the creature comforts begin to call. I’ve looked at some of AT overland shells like the summitt, and similar style brands.

I just can’t see a van being more off road worthy then a truck. Lots of base model option for camper shells like the hawk that you could also finish out.

Re: Pickup, SUV or Time For Van Life? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8147304 01/28/21 10:23 PM
B
Blue Moon Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B

I get it, I’m an f250 guy with camper shell and a MSR reactor stove.

With that said as I get older the creature comforts begin to call. I’ve looked at some of AT overland shells like the summitt, and similar style brands.

I just can’t see a van being more off road worthy then a truck. Lots of base model option for camper shells like the hawk that you could also finish out.

The Adventure Trailer Toppers you mentioned look awesome. Regarding off road capabilities comparing a van to a truck, it comes down to how much capability do you really need. Likewise, you have to seriously evaluated how much towing capacity you need.

If you do need off road capability, the good news is you can now buy either the Sprinter and Ford Transit in 4x4 or at least AWD versions directly from the factory without having to do expensive conversions. That said, I purchased the Sprinter over the F-250 or Suburban specifically because I needed more indoor cargo space than either provided. When I evaluated my personal needs, tall interior space for hauling motorcycles and big tools cross country was more important than serious off-road capability.

On the downside, driving the cargo Sprinter compared to a truck or SUV in big city traffic is likely going to take awhile to get used to. That’s because you can only visually see forward at best 180 degrees as everything in the rear 180 degrees is a giant dark blind spot. Frankly it feels more like flying IFR because you can’t see anything coming up besides or behind you without using instruments.

Thankfully the technology is really impressive. Radar sensors alert you so you know if someone is in your blind spot, plus it has lane assist, collision avoidance, blind spot assist, traffic sign assist, adaptive cruise control and 360 degree cameras, but - and this is a big but, you just might need an IRF rating or have lots of Pitts flight time to be comfortable driving one. Also, Lord help you if the technology fails… At this point until I get more accustom to it or at least until I put in a rear side window, I think I’d be inclined to call a flatbed to come get me if the tech failed.

Before Red Bull made it fashionable for aerobatic pilots to fly monoplanes, I often had to explain to non-aerobatic pilots why I switched from a biplane to a monoplane. My standard answer was to explain landing a Pitts was like driving down the freeway 90 miles per hour at night with the hood open… The cargo van is a very similar experience… You can add windows but lose some of the stealth factor so it’s a trade off.

Re: Pickup, SUV or Time For Van Life? [Re: glens] #8147472 01/29/21 12:45 AM
P
Poppa Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P

[Linked Image]

and its still a ford, correct?

Re: Pickup, SUV or Time For Van Life? [Re: Blue Moon] #8147479 01/29/21 12:53 AM
P
Poppa Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P

[Linked Image]

and its still a ford, correct? a short work and play trailer behind the suburban sounds good

Re: Pickup, SUV or Time For Van Life? [Re: Blue Moon] #8147494 01/29/21 01:09 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Paid my property taxes today.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Pickup, SUV or Time For Van Life? [Re: Blue Moon] #8147551 01/29/21 01:57 AM
P
PappawRock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I have a Transit 3/4 ton and a Frontier pickup and I always take the van anywhere I go unless there's a need to tote something taller than the roof of the van...no comparison on comfort, roomy cabin, and ease of functioning, camping, hunt/fish/joyride + toting lengths to 12' (with some jockeying) behind lock and key (fob) in the cargo area as opposed to the pickup's bed which sucks to even climb up in if you're me or the like......it also sits up a good bit higher, handles better (to me anyways), and has a way greater view...

Re: Pickup, SUV or Time For Van Life? [Re: bill oxner] #8147643 01/29/21 03:21 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler

How does this apply to the OP??? I mean really, it is just PC for christ sakes.

[Linked Image]
Re: Pickup, SUV or Time For Van Life? [Re: Bee'z] #8147649 01/29/21 03:25 AM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by 2Beez

How does this apply to the OP??? I mean really, it is just PC for christ sakes.

Squirrel!

Re: Pickup, SUV or Time For Van Life? [Re: Poppa] #8147714 01/29/21 04:08 AM
B
Blue Moon Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Poppa
...a short work and play trailer behind the suburban sounds good

I've been doing the trailer thing with the Suburban for years. It's worked great, especially around this region. I never really had an issue until I had to start going cross country several times a year. Pulling the Airstream and still wanting to bring motorcycles and other tools and toys that I didn't want to leave in the bed of a pickup on overnight trips or exposed to the weather were the main reasons I started looking at a van. That said, I'm really glad I got one while I could. No telling how much longer the voodoo tax breaks are going to be around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide