Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
The ammo shortage explained #8142636 01/25/21 02:20 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Apologies if this has been posted earlier but a good read that explains the situation quite well.

You might say the "Trump Slump" has been replaced with the Biden Binge.

Link

Last edited by Texas Dan; 01/25/21 02:26 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: The ammo shortage explained [Re: Texas Dan] #8142644 01/25/21 02:27 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I dont believe for a second that they didnt know ammo sales were going to sky rocket going into the election etc. There is no way they wouldn't see that coming unless they have been living under a rock for the last 20 years.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: The ammo shortage explained [Re: redchevy] #8142658 01/25/21 02:35 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by redchevy
I dont believe for a second that they didnt know ammo sales were going to sky rocket going into the election etc. There is no way they wouldn't see that coming unless they have been living under a rock for the last 20 years.

I'd say last 4 years.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: The ammo shortage explained [Re: redchevy] #8142690 01/25/21 03:00 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Everyone loves to play the victim card.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: The ammo shortage explained [Re: redchevy] #8142715 01/25/21 03:19 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

No one knew for sure how the election would turn out, and it never makes sense to make business decisions on a guess. If Trump had won, ammo sales would have taken an immediate nose dive, just as it did when he was first elected.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 01/25/21 03:20 PM.

Re: The ammo shortage explained [Re: Texas Dan] #8142718 01/25/21 03:21 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The manufacturers only have so much capacity. Last I heard they have been manufacturing at capacity with limitations of components.

If my friends and I picked up a box of each caliber we use every time we went into Academy or the local gun shops, we would have a warehouse full of ammo. Several of them do that, if I need ammo, I know where to go. Does they need it? One is 72, not really, but that is his business, but if I need a box of 270 he has them, and he probably would deliver for a cold beer.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: The ammo shortage explained [Re: Texas Dan] #8142754 01/25/21 03:50 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

No one knew for sure how the election would turn out, and it never makes sense to make business decisions on a guess. If Trump had won, ammo sales would have taken an immediate nose dive, just as it did when he was first elected.

^^^ This. I thought Trump would win. I'd bet most on here thought Trump would win. As a business, they can't just over-produce during slow times and store it in a ware house for the next ammo run. That would eat up their profits in storage costs. They can't just go build another factory, or expand their current factory. When demand goes back to normal, then they would have too much capacity and expensive machines would sit idle.

Re: The ammo shortage explained [Re: Texas Dan] #8142761 01/25/21 03:54 PM
BbarVRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
The reality is, we may never, at least in the foreseeable future see ammo in stock.

It could be years. If ever.

Re: The ammo shortage explained [Re: dogcatcher] #8142872 01/25/21 05:18 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

LOL, the election shortage didn't happen because of the election result. The shortage happened BEFORE the election. It is just happening to continue after the election as well.

Originally Posted by dogcatcher
The manufacturers only have so much capacity.

True. Of course, they say that every four years when there is an election shortage that they didn't use the previous years for which to prepare.

Re: The ammo shortage explained [Re: Texas Dan] #8142955 01/25/21 06:11 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Whin ya follow a manure spreader, it can be tough separating the bs from the rest of the crap...
pappy

flag

i'm postaddic
Re: The ammo shortage explained [Re: BbarVRanch] #8143050 01/25/21 08:02 PM
D
Dustnsand Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by BbarVRanch
The reality is, we may never, at least in the foreseeable future see ammo in stock.

It could be years. If ever.

Agreed. The biggest issue is not that the manufacturers aren't making ammo. It's that everyone is panic buying ammo.

Until that stops, we will never have tons of ammo on the shelf again.

If companies started making 5x the amount of ammo tomorrow, the shelves would still be bare because people are buying every bit they can find.

Re: The ammo shortage explained [Re: Dustnsand] #8143109 01/25/21 08:50 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by z71dustin
If companies started making 5x the amount of ammo tomorrow, the shelves would still be bare because people are buying every bit they can find.

IMO, the problem isn't so much the amount of ammo each person is buying but the enormous number of people buying just a box or two whenever they can find it.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 01/25/21 08:51 PM.

Re: The ammo shortage explained [Re: Texas Dan] #8143189 01/25/21 09:45 PM
BbarVRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker

IMO, the problem isn't so much the amount of ammo each person is buying but the enormous number of people buying just a box or two whenever they can find it.

It's compounded by people "stocking up"... or buying more than they normally would.

If dad usually kept a box and a half of .270 shells in the closet, now he wants 5 boxes.. just to make sure he doesn't run out.

It's sure not just the new firearm owners.

Re: The ammo shortage explained [Re: Texas Dan] #8143223 01/25/21 10:23 PM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
A couple questions - How regulated is the ammunition industry?? Could new companies get the components to even build ammo? My guess this is a small margin business or other companies would fill the void. Should we make the next topic about primers??

Big Beckett!!
Re: The ammo shortage explained [Re: Texas Dan] #8143230 01/25/21 10:31 PM
D
Dustnsand Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D

I think it's both. How many people go to the store every day and buy what they can?

I don't think I've even tried to buy ammo for anything other than a shotgun in around 2 years. I didn't even know there was a issue with finding ammo until someone was complaining to me recently. Shows how often I shoot lol

Re: The ammo shortage explained [Re: Ramsey] #8143233 01/25/21 10:37 PM
BbarVRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by Ramsey
A couple questions - How regulated is the ammunition industry?? Could new companies get the components to even build ammo? My guess this is a small margin business or other companies would fill the void. Should we make the next topic about primers??

All phases of the firearms industry is OVER regulated. It all falls under the regulatory agency BATF. Strong emphasis on the "B"...

Some of the big ammo makers are running short of components. So, a small shop would be sucking air from day one.

Re: The ammo shortage explained [Re: 1860.colt] #8143258 01/25/21 10:50 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted by colt.45
Whin ya follow a manure spreader, it can be tough separating the bs from the rest of the crap...
pappy

flag

roflmao lol35

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: The ammo shortage explained [Re: Texas Dan] #8143279 01/25/21 11:04 PM
A
Ag Hunter 78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
I may not be a rocket scientist, but I at least have enough sense to not walk behind a manure spreader. loco

No prayer in school....What's next, no thinking in church?
It's not just about pie in the sky when you die. It's also about steak on your plate while you wait!
Re: The ammo shortage explained [Re: Ag Hunter 78] #8143307 01/25/21 11:18 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted by Ag Hunter 78
I may not be a rocket scientist, but I at least have enough sense to not walk behind a manure spreader. loco

rofl Are you coming out D closet? didn't vote for Pres. Trump...
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: The ammo shortage explained [Re: Dustnsand] #8143319 01/25/21 11:23 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I didn't even know there was a issue with finding ammo until someone was complaining to me recently. Shows how often I shoot lol

Reminds me when I was talking to a good friend this past December when he commented that he needed to run into Walmart to pick up a box of ammo. He spoke as if it would be no different than buying a bottle of Coke and blew me off when I told him good luck finding it. He called back later in a completely different state of mind. I must admit he's someone that would buy ammo by the round if he could.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 01/25/21 11:24 PM.

Re: The ammo shortage explained [Re: Texas Dan] #8143801 01/26/21 11:57 AM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
My opinion is the current ammo shortage is due to civil unrest and covid. The protests and riots over racial equality and seeing blame heaped on law enforcement agencies, in my opinion are what started the run on firearms, ammo, and components. People coming to grips that Covid is not going away added to it. The White House riot compounded it. For the first time in my life I’m seeing the average joe transition from needing a few bullets to hunt with, to thinking about a larger supply of ammunition to protect their family and property. Scalpers buying out retailers as fast as they restock are prolonging it. My hat goes off to the retailers who are keeping their prices reasonable for their customers and limiting quantity in an attempt to slow the scalpers down. Last time I looked, there are scalpers operating in the classifieds on THF. If the consumers showed the restraint to not pay scalper prices and left them to shoot or eat the ammo they have purchased, what they are doing would come to a screeching halt. In the current shortage, we have become our own worst enemy.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 01/26/21 12:10 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: The ammo shortage explained [Re: Texas Dan] #8143810 01/26/21 12:20 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

We have two places to by ammo here in town and when a load comes in there's people standing in line waiting to snatch it up. Within minutes of getting home that same ammo is already being offered for sale through at least 3 Facebook pages with a substantial markup. I've seen enough change hands that at some point I believe the state will get interested. If you want to act like a retailer at some point they're going to treat you like one, IRS might get interested also. There's no laws saying these people can't do this but they're drawing allot of attention to themselves and that's never good. Online sales are easy to track.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: The ammo shortage explained [Re: Smokey Bear] #8143829 01/26/21 12:40 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
My opinion is the current ammo shortage is due to civil unrest and covid. The protests and riots over racial equality and seeing blame heaped on law enforcement agencies, in my opinion are what started the run on firearms, ammo, and components. People coming to grips that Covid is not going away added to it. The White House riot compounded it. For the first time in my life I’m seeing the average joe transition from needing a few bullets to hunt with, to thinking about a larger supply of ammunition to protect their family and property. Scalpers buying out retailers as fast as they restock are prolonging it. My hat goes off to the retailers who are keeping their prices reasonable for their customers and limiting quantity in an attempt to slow the scalpers down. Last time I looked, there are scalpers operating in the classifieds on THF. If the consumers showed the restraint to not pay scalper prices and left them to shoot or eat the ammo they have purchased, what they are doing would come to a screeching halt. In the current shortage, we have become our own worst enemy.

We watched the same thing happen with oil not that long ago,. speculators buying up contracts and reselling them a few days later as the prices just kept climbing. Then the prices made a serious drop and continued to drop and the last of the speculators ended up with 140 dollar a barrel oil sitting in ships headed to refineries paying far less. Some took a 60% loss.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: The ammo shortage explained [Re: Smokey Bear] #8143903 01/26/21 02:07 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
My opinion is the current ammo shortage is due to civil unrest and covid.

No doubt this was part of it and why it may have started earlier this time, but keep in mind that this happens every 4 years now, at least for the last 3 elections prior to this.

Re: The ammo shortage explained [Re: BbarVRanch] #8143979 01/26/21 03:19 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by BbarVRanch

It's compounded by people "stocking up"... or buying more than they normally would.

If dad usually kept a box and a half of .270 shells in the closet, now he wants 5 boxes.. just to make sure he doesn't run out.

It's sure not just the new firearm owners.

I know 2 people who got a firearm for Christmas and haven't fired a round as there isn't any to be had for reasonable cash.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide