Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: Dustnsand] #8142393 01/25/21 03:53 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy OP
Texoma Legend
OP Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by z71dustin
Do you have any camping gear currently?

Camping is one of my favorite things and I've been through alot of different setups through the years tuning my setup to fit my needs so have some insight.

I would recommend decent but not all out on gear until you know its something yall are going to enjoy doing. Certain gear you can go cheaper on than others.

You'd hate to drop $2k on a RTT and use it for one trip

Only camping I used to do before my son was born was hiking/wilderness camping. A couple buddies and myself would hike in 5-10 miles carrying everything with us that we needed. So most my stuff is all backpacking ultralight stuff like jet stove titanium pot/cup/flatware. One man ultralight tent. All the essentials type stuff. Hatchet, saw, fire starting stuff, water bottles and camel backs, water filters. On and on but again totally different type of camping, more so backpacking.

[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: KRoyal] #8142395 01/25/21 03:56 AM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
This was my Tacoma setup. The rack was bought for a RTT initially until I thought better of it but was really nice for the kayak and rods. Water hauled in the white cans for cooking, shower, cleaning dishes. Totes contained dry food, camping gear, cooking supplies.

[Linked Image]

And my current setup. I've had to shrink everything now into backpacking gear. To fit cooking setup, food, water, and all my camping gear on the bike I have to be alot more selective in loadout.

[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: KRoyal] #8142403 01/25/21 04:07 AM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by KRoyal

Camping is one of my favorite things and I've been through alot of different setups through the years tuning my setup to fit my needs so have some insight.

I would recommend decent but not all out on gear until you know its something yall are going to enjoy doing. Certain gear you can go cheaper on than others.

Only camping I used to do before my son was born was hiking/wilderness camping. A couple buddies and myself would hike in 5-10 miles carrying everything with us that we needed. So most my stuff is all backpacking ultralight stuff like jet stove titanium pot/cup/flatware. One man ultralight tent. All the essentials type stuff. Hatchet, saw, fire starting stuff, water bottles and camel backs, water filters. On and on but again totally different type of camping, more so backpacking.

The advantage to car camping is stuff is cheaper for nice stuff due to not caring about pack size or weight.

I'd get a decent ground tent, buy good sleeping pad and bags/quilts. You have room in the truck so don't need ultralight down bags so a nice comfortable bag can be had fairly cheap. I have a 0 degree northface bag that is super warm and comfy but huge so it was around $100 from Academy. I have a Thermarest MondoKing xxl pad that is ridiculously comfortable and warm for a pad (4" thick, r value over 11) but doesn't pack up small. I've slept on the snow before and the other people in the tent were cold until they tried my sleeping pad and were shocked at how much warmer it was than theirs. R value is super important if winter camping.

A good dual burner camp stove is one of the only other things you need. You can get some cheaper cookware so you don't have to bring nice stuff from home or use cast iron but cast iron of course is heavy. That doesn't matter as much if you are truck camping though. I always liked doing stuff like tacos or hamburger helper style meals for easy camping meals.

Also nice to have is a folding table of some kind for cooking on. I've got one that rolls up into a bag like a camp chair. Maybe a popup, ezup style canopy in case it rains and you want a place to hangout and cook. It sucks when it's raining and you only can get in the tent to get out of it

A shower is going to be the thing that could be important depending on you and your family. I'm a person who can go awhile without showering while camping or hunting but know I'm not normal in that aspect lol. I'm not sure of the brand, I can get it if you want, but my friends have a hot water shower setup that recirculates water from a bucket to provide running hot water for showers. They then have a little popup shower for privacy. I have a shower that looks like a 3 gallon handheld pesticide sprayer but it is a shower that you fill with water and put on a stove to heat water. Then pump the handle and you have pressurized water to shower with.

Last edited by z71dustin; 01/25/21 04:12 AM.
Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: KRoyal] #8142405 01/25/21 04:08 AM
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Take a look at the Hunting Vehicles thread for the Tundra camping build. There are so many ways to go, and things to do. Just kinda decide ahead of time what your budget is, and how you and the better half want to enjoy your time out there. The smaller inexpensive travel trailers make a really good option also!

[Linked Image]

The sky's the limit for how much you want to spend to trick out your truck!!!

[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: Dustnsand] #8142407 01/25/21 04:09 AM
Greg Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

[Linked Image]

What a view

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: Greg] #8142416 01/25/21 04:19 AM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Greg

[Linked Image]

What a view

It was probably the best view I've ever had at a campsite. That's the cool part of the overlanding thing. I didn't need 4wd to get there but you wouldn't be dragging a camper to some of the places I camp and enjoy it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: Duck_Hunter] #8142418 01/25/21 04:21 AM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
I’m not telling you to look at a Tacoma or anything, but tacomaworld.com has a lot of threads on this type of thing. Might be worth checking out. My wife any I decided against the RTT for both cost and because it’s my daily driver. We have a camper shell, though, and it’s good for some things and not good for others, but I like it. We spent 10 days in New Mexico, Arizona, Utah and Colorado camping and driving and had a great time, although it wasn’t all over landing. If I had a different situation in life (more time and money) I’d be more in to it.

I had one of the more built rigs on Tacoma World but sold it & now I'm in a Tundra. I'm not going to go as crazy w/it as I did the Taco but on my Tundra I've done a 3" lift, 35's, wheels, ARB Summit front bumper, winch, lights, rock rails & a few other little things. Trying to keep this one sane. Well, a little more sane!

R.I.P. CPO Matt Mills-(DEVGRU)- You will NEVER be forgotten!
10-25-75 / 8-6-11 *K.I.A.*
Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: Dustnsand] #8142427 01/25/21 04:29 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy OP
Texoma Legend
OP Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by KRoyal

The advantage to car camping is stuff is cheaper for nice stuff due to not caring about pack size or weight.

I'd get a decent ground tent, buy good sleeping pad and bags/quilts. You have room in the truck so don't need ultralight down bags so a nice comfortable bag can be had fairly cheap. I have a 0 degree northface bag that is super warm and comfy but huge so it was around $100 from Academy. I have a Thermarest MondoKing xxl pad that is ridiculously comfortable and warm for a pad (4" thick, r value over 11) but doesn't pack up small. I've slept on the snow before and the other people in the tent were cold until they tried my sleeping pad and were shocked at how much warmer it was than theirs. R value is super important if winter camping.

A good dual burner camp stove is one of the only other things you need. You can get some cheaper cookware so you don't have to bring nice stuff from home or use cast iron but cast iron of course is heavy. That doesn't matter as much if you are truck camping though. I always liked doing stuff like tacos or hamburger helper style meals for easy camping meals.

Also nice to have is a folding table of some kind for cooking on. I've got one that rolls up into a bag like a camp chair. Maybe a popup, ezup style canopy in case it rains and you want a place to hangout and cook. It sucks when it's raining and you only can get in the tent to get out of it

A shower is going to be the thing that could be important depending on you and your family. I'm a person who can go awhile without showering while camping or hunting but know I'm not normal in that aspect lol. I'm not sure of the brand, I can get it if you want, but my friends have a hot water shower setup that recirculates water from a bucket to provide running hot water for showers. They then have a little popup shower for privacy. I have a shower that looks like a 3 gallon handheld pesticide sprayer but it is a shower that you fill with water and put on a stove to heat water. Then pump the handle and you have pressurized water to shower with.

Thanks for the info.

Yea will probably need a shower. I would probably be fine without, but doubt my wife would be lol.

Lots of cool builds keep the info coming.

[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: KRoyal] #8142434 01/25/21 04:50 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I’m planning on a new cage for the RZR later this year or early next year. It will have a roof rack for packing gear. I plan on doing some short trips with my kid (wife won’t tent camp anymore). It won’t necessarily be “over landing” in the since that it won’t be self sustaining or off grid for lengthy amounts of time. But I think taking some trails during the day and setting up a place to camp away from people would be a good time.

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: Dustnsand] #8142445 01/25/21 05:08 AM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

[Linked Image]

What a view

It was probably the best view I've ever had at a campsite. That's the cool part of the overlanding thing. I didn't need 4wd to get there but you wouldn't be dragging a camper to some of the places I camp and enjoy it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Where were these places?

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: KRoyal] #8142466 01/25/21 06:10 AM
T
thegrouse Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
I have done quite a bit of it. I do not recommend a roof top tent. I have about 6 tents but my favorite are the REI Base Camp 6 and the Kodiak Canvas 10x14. The key is efficiency if you plan on moving every night. I have an efficient cooking system and a small cargo trailer I tow. This allows me to drop the rig and go explore. Instead of an awning I pack a lightweight tarp, pole, guy lines and stakes. I can set up a quick awning for lunch on the road. The game changer for me was the ARB 50l fridge. This allows me to keep all my food cold without dealing with ice. I can hit the grocery store and buy warm beer, put it inside and it will be cold in a few hours. There is some beautiful places to go explore, I wouldn't spend a ton of money just yet, go out and camp at a Big Bend backcountry site and see how you like it.

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: KRoyal] #8142670 01/25/21 02:46 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
A roof top tent wouldn't last up here, the wind would have you chasing it all over the plains.

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: Dustnsand] #8142702 01/25/21 03:08 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
This was my Tacoma setup. The rack was bought for a RTT initially until I thought better of it but was really nice for the kayak and rods. Water hauled in the white cans for cooking, shower, cleaning dishes. Totes contained dry food, camping gear, cooking supplies.

[Linked Image]

And my current setup. I've had to shrink everything now into backpacking gear. To fit cooking setup, food, water, and all my camping gear on the bike I have to be alot more selective in loadout.

[Linked Image]

What’s the pole for, WiFi?

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: KRoyal] #8142706 01/25/21 03:11 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy OP
Texoma Legend
OP Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Looks like a solar charger. Guessing that is a camp site and he doesn't carry that around on his bike LOL.

[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: BigPig] #8142732 01/25/21 03:37 PM
Z
ZK-315 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by BigPig
I’m planning on a new cage for the RZR later this year or early next year. It will have a roof rack for packing gear. I plan on doing some short trips with my kid (wife won’t tent camp anymore). It won’t necessarily be “over landing” in the since that it won’t be self sustaining or off grid for lengthy amounts of time. But I think taking some trails during the day and setting up a place to camp away from people would be a good time.

When you go, post up about where you go and your thoughts on it. I had originally planned to do this exact thing in our Canam Defender this summer somewhere up around Colorado, but my almost-3 year old isn't quite ready for it. The almost-5 year old would absolutely love it, plus the wife was pretty excited when we started talking about it.

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: KRoyal] #8142811 01/25/21 04:35 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I've recently gotten into family camping with my 2 and 4 year olds after taking a couple years off when they were really little. I also do a couple trips a year hunting. I have found we are most comfortable in a big ground tent with a ridiculously comfortable pad for the wife and I. We currently use an Exped MegaMat Duo and love it. I have a topper on my ZR2 Bison with a rack on top. I have no problem loading a ton of stuff in and on the truck for extended travel and wouldn't want to give up all of the extra storage space you get with a topper. My big tent is a 12x12 Cabela's Alaknak. Its great, but takes too long to set up for one night stays. When we are actually overlanding, I use a Cabela's Alaskan Guide dome tent that I can set up nearly as fast as a RTT. We are much more comfortable with a little space to spread out and not dealing with getting the kids up and down a ladder. We shamelessly go full glamping - down comforters, feather pillows, heater, etc. Once I had kids, I realized that being uncomfortable for the sake of roughing it doesn't make camping more fun. I run white gas for all of my equipment, stove, lanterns, etc. I like that I don't have to deal with propane bottles, guess how full they are, deal with half full bottles after a trip, etc. The white gas is also a whole lot better if you plan any trips at high altitude or in real cold.

We camp a lot with my sister and her family. My brother-in-law has a RTT on a trailer he pulls behind his truck. Its a nice setup in that he can drop the trailer and still use the truck to explore a trail or something. I don't think I would like a tent on top of my truck because of that. The downside to the trailer is that its a pain when you are on the trail. He is often afraid of heading down some trail because he doesn't know if he can turn around at the other end. The tent is comfortable and the tent itself sets up quick, but he needs to mess with the trailer, put out stabilizers, etc. Start to finish, its not as quick as you think it will be. Never had condensation issues with the tent, but I have only used it in pretty dry places. He uses propane for everything and carries the 20 lb tanks and runs lines/adapters for everything, which is also a nice setup.

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: 68rustbucket] #8142887 01/25/21 05:33 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What’s the pole for, WiFi?

I'm not sure what the pole was. It was next to some little box in a stream. Maybe measuring water flow?

I don't camp in campgrounds or established sites any more, I camp for free in national forests. That was at the end of a little path coming off the paved road in Manti-la Sal NF above Moab

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: cbump] #8142889 01/25/21 05:35 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by cbump

[Linked Image]

What a view

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Where were these places?

Lake Powell and Manti-La Sal national forest in Utah

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: SherpaPhil] #8142922 01/25/21 05:54 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by SherpaPhil
I've recently gotten into family camping with my 2 and 4 year olds after taking a couple years off when they were really little. I also do a couple trips a year hunting. I have found we are most comfortable in a big ground tent with a ridiculously comfortable pad for the wife and I. We currently use an Exped MegaMat Duo and love it. I have a topper on my ZR2 Bison with a rack on top. I have no problem loading a ton of stuff in and on the truck for extended travel and wouldn't want to give up all of the extra storage space you get with a topper. My big tent is a 12x12 Cabela's Alaknak. Its great, but takes too long to set up for one night stays. When we are actually overlanding, I use a Cabela's Alaskan Guide dome tent that I can set up nearly as fast as a RTT. We are much more comfortable with a little space to spread out and not dealing with getting the kids up and down a ladder. We shamelessly go full glamping - down comforters, feather pillows, heater, etc. Once I had kids, I realized that being uncomfortable for the sake of roughing it doesn't make camping more fun. I run white gas for all of my equipment, stove, lanterns, etc. I like that I don't have to deal with propane bottles, guess how full they are, deal with half full bottles after a trip, etc. The white gas is also a whole lot better if you plan any trips at high altitude or in real cold.

We camp a lot with my sister and her family. My brother-in-law has a RTT on a trailer he pulls behind his truck. Its a nice setup in that he can drop the trailer and still use the truck to explore a trail or something. I don't think I would like a tent on top of my truck because of that. The downside to the trailer is that its a pain when you are on the trail. He is often afraid of heading down some trail because he doesn't know if he can turn around at the other end. The tent is comfortable and the tent itself sets up quick, but he needs to mess with the trailer, put out stabilizers, etc. Start to finish, its not as quick as you think it will be. Never had condensation issues with the tent, but I have only used it in pretty dry places. He uses propane for everything and carries the 20 lb tanks and runs lines/adapters for everything, which is also a nice setup.

Dead on. We use good sleeping bags not Not down. But wife and kids don't enjoy being uncomfortable.

We spend a week almost every summer in the mountains of colorado and have done so through pregnancies and infiants. My kids do not enjoy site seeing. You're son may enjoy overlanding but most kids don't like sitting in a truck. My kids would rather collect pine cones splash in the water and act like kids. When that boy gets older y'all could probably snatch a couple fishing poles and hit the road and be good. For now it's rare to.fimd a kid that would enjoy it.

Last edited by ducknbass; 01/25/21 05:57 PM.
Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: KRoyal] #8143239 01/25/21 10:40 PM
M
MacDaddy21 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
My tepui kukenam xl took 2 minutes to set up and about 5 minutes to pack up. Never had any serious flapping in 40-50mph gusts. Never any condensation issues. The pad it came with sucked alone, but paired with a 4" memory foam topper it was excellent. My ex wife and I slept up there with our dog with plenty of room to spare.

That being said, my seek outside Cimarron is my favorite shelter now. If I were doing it with a family, I'd get a larger seek outside tipi as a shelter. They have nests (liner with mosquito netting) that eliminates bugs, condensation, and provides a floor. I love the floorless setup though. Pretty sweet to roll over, unzip my bag and take a leak on the dirt.

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: Dustnsand] #8143281 01/25/21 11:05 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Did you spend the night on the side of 281 a week or so ago south of Blanco?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: KRoyal] #8143423 01/26/21 12:22 AM
T
TGT Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Just go old school........

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I have a little bitty one. Think that will do?

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: txtrophy85] #8143426 01/26/21 12:26 AM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Did you spend the night on the side of 281 a week or so ago south of Blanco?

Nope, wasn't me.

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: thegrouse] #8143448 01/26/21 12:39 AM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by thegrouse
I have done quite a bit of it. I do not recommend a roof top tent. I have about 6 tents but my favorite are the REI Base Camp 6 and the Kodiak Canvas 10x14. The key is efficiency if you plan on moving every night. I have an efficient cooking system and a small cargo trailer I tow. This allows me to drop the rig and go explore. Instead of an awning I pack a lightweight tarp, pole, guy lines and stakes. I can set up a quick awning for lunch on the road. The game changer for me was the ARB 50l fridge. This allows me to keep all my food cold without dealing with ice. I can hit the grocery store and buy warm beer, put it inside and it will be cold in a few hours. There is some beautiful places to go explore, I wouldn't spend a ton of money just yet, go out and camp at a Big Bend backcountry site and see how you like it.

My Kodiak Canvas deluxe 10x14 and my Dometic fridge are my favorite mods when off road camping as well!

R.I.P. CPO Matt Mills-(DEVGRU)- You will NEVER be forgotten!
10-25-75 / 8-6-11 *K.I.A.*
Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: TGT] #8143506 01/26/21 01:13 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Friend's parents in high school had a Westphalia, that and a couple of tents and a bunch of us would head to the lake for the weekends.

Originally Posted by TGT
Just go old school........

[Linked Image]

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide