Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Anyone do any over landing? #8142282 01/25/21 02:41 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy OP
Texoma Legend
OP Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Been watching a bunch of YouTube videos of overland setups. This seems like it would be a great time with my wife and young son. Thinking of putting together a setup similar to the one below. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with doing this type of thing and has any tips tricks. Things to buy, things not to buy.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: KRoyal] #8142290 01/25/21 02:46 AM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
I do a lot of camping. That setup seems odd to me as s family camping set up. Maybe I no savi over landing. But we camp pretty comfortably in a tent. That right there would be tight. Every time you have to go to store or go site seeing tent goes up. Just doesn't calculate in my head.

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: KRoyal] #8142292 01/25/21 02:47 AM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
GA

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: KRoyal] #8142293 01/25/21 02:47 AM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
you got too much "spare" $$.

You already have your son's college tuition saved up, now start working on your retirement.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: ducknbass] #8142300 01/25/21 02:53 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy OP
Texoma Legend
OP Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by ducknbass
I do a lot of camping. That setup seems odd to me as s family camping set up. Maybe I no savi over landing. But we camp pretty comfortably in a tent. That right there would be tight. Every time you have to go to store or go site seeing tent goes up. Just doesn't calculate in my head.

Over landing is pretty much going exploring off-road in a truck or whatever you have, and when you’re done for the day stop and throw up camp. In the morning put tent down and get back on the trail. You’re not camping in same place multiple nights. The tents, although expensive, are purposefully built. Very easy to pitch and take down, around 5-10 minutes. They have built in mattresses and the base slides out on the sides. So pretty roomy it’s a 3 person tent.

Here is a link to the tent I’m looking at.

https://www.roamadventureco.com/products/the-vagabond?variant=34718357520550

[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: Buzzsaw] #8142302 01/25/21 02:54 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy OP
Texoma Legend
OP Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
you got too much "spare" $$.

You already have your son's college tuition saved up, now start working on your retirement.

I’m good on both accounts sir, just looking for a fun way to spend family time.

[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: KRoyal] #8142318 01/25/21 03:05 AM
Greg Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
My buddy you met at the 22match has a pretty nice setup. He built a trailer to pull behind his Jeep and then he stores all his gear on the trailer. When our families go out camping I’m always wishing I had one.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: Greg] #8142322 01/25/21 03:08 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy OP
Texoma Legend
OP Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by Greg
My buddy you met at the 22match has a pretty nice setup. He built a trailer to pull behind his Jeep and then he stores all his gear on the trailer. When our families go out camping I’m always wishing I had one.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I’ve seen some of the trailer setups. With my truck I’d be able to carry all my gear in the bed under a retrax cover and attached to the rack. I think it would be a great time. How many does he sleep in that tent?

[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: KRoyal] #8142323 01/25/21 03:08 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Kyle, look at the set ups they fish PINS with. Granted you do not need rod holders but they have some badass rigs.

[Linked Image]
Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: KRoyal] #8142337 01/25/21 03:15 AM
Greg Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
When the kids were little he would sleep his whole family up there (4). 3 adults would fit no problem. The jeeps don’t have room for squat

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: ducknbass] #8142340 01/25/21 03:19 AM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by ducknbass

Same. We have family camped with my kids since they were little. This setup just seems like something to spend a lot of money on and to look cool. Not really practical.
A backpacking tent of the same size would take the same or less time to setup, cost way less, and you wouldn't have to climb down a ladder to go pee. Be good for rough ground though and the built in mattress sounds nice.

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: Greg] #8142343 01/25/21 03:20 AM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Greg
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Beautiful V.

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: KRoyal] #8142346 01/25/21 03:21 AM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I do. Having a RTT on top of the vehicle sucks. Only way I'd do it is in a trailer. I built an off road trailer like the one posted above & planned on putting a tent on it but have been very happy w/my Kodiak canvas. After sleeping in a friends RTT I decided they suck. They flap in the wind, shake around in the wind, the pads are too thin, it sucks having to piss in the middle of the night, have to close it back up to go hit a trail or run to the store, not tall enough & the list goes on.
I'm glad I stuck w/my 10x14 canvas tent. It takes about the same time to set up but has a ton of benefits over the RTT.

R.I.P. CPO Matt Mills-(DEVGRU)- You will NEVER be forgotten!
10-25-75 / 8-6-11 *K.I.A.*
Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: KRoyal] #8142354 01/25/21 03:29 AM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I've done alot of camping and 4wheeling that could be called overlanding and now basically do the same with a motorcycle. At one point I wanted a RTT and have been with friends who have them.

What I've learned is the RTT is great for not needing to find a flat, smooth spot for a ground tent. Other than that, meh. I can set my tent up and take it down way faster that a RTT. RTTs also have very bad moisture problems, hence why condensation mats are a thing. My sister and BIL recently got one and on the morning after their first night they were drying bedding over a fire because everything in the tent was soaked. RTTs are also very noisy in the wind. If mounted above the cab you are dragging and windblock down the road. And they are 2-3x the cost of a extremely good ground tent.

That said, the people I know that have them, do like them. I just know after seeing them in action, I prefer a ground tent.

Overlanding is chock full of people who want to spend alot of money on fancy glamping gear and 4x4 vehicles so they can go-pro themselves "offroading" down a nice gravel road.

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: KRoyal] #8142361 01/25/21 03:33 AM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
And don't get me started on the freaking traction boards hanging on the side. People have winches, maxtrax, shovels, and all this stuff and think a 6" ledge on a trail needs 3 spotters and 6 different gopro angles because it's such hardcore wheeling.

You also need a skottle to cook on and collect patches and badges to detail all the money you have spent on your trail tampon

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: KRoyal] #8142362 01/25/21 03:34 AM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I’m not telling you to look at a Tacoma or anything, but tacomaworld.com has a lot of threads on this type of thing. Might be worth checking out. My wife any I decided against the RTT for both cost and because it’s my daily driver. We have a camper shell, though, and it’s good for some things and not good for others, but I like it. We spent 10 days in New Mexico, Arizona, Utah and Colorado camping and driving and had a great time, although it wasn’t all over landing. If I had a different situation in life (more time and money) I’d be more in to it.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: Dustnsand] #8142366 01/25/21 03:36 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by z71dustin

Overlanding is chock full of people who want to spend alot of money on fancy glamping gear and 4x4 vehicles so they can go-pro themselves "offroading" down a nice gravel road.

Lmao.....sounds about like most people’s hobbies these days. More about posting about it on Instagram and YouTube than doing it for the shear joy of it

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: Dustnsand] #8142367 01/25/21 03:37 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy OP
Texoma Legend
OP Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
And don't get me started on the freaking traction boards hanging on the side. People have winches, maxtrax, shovels, and all this stuff and think a 6" ledge on a trail needs 3 spotters and 6 different gopro angles because it's such hardcore wheeling.

You also need a skottle to cook on and collect patches and badges to detail all the money you have spent on your trail tampon

Lol damn man, I just wanted to get out and camp with my family.

[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: Duck_Hunter] #8142368 01/25/21 03:37 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy OP
Texoma Legend
OP Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
I’m not telling you to look at a Tacoma or anything, but tacomaworld.com has a lot of threads on this type of thing. Might be worth checking out. My wife any I decided against the RTT for both cost and because it’s my daily driver. We have a camper shell, though, and it’s good for some things and not good for others, but I like it. We spent 10 days in New Mexico, Arizona, Utah and Colorado camping and driving and had a great time, although it wasn’t all over landing. If I had a different situation in life (more time and money) I’d be more in to it.

Thanks! I’ve seen several of the Tacoma builds.

[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: Dustnsand] #8142371 01/25/21 03:39 AM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

This is true. There is a lot of douchey-ness in the overlanding world.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: KRoyal] #8142374 01/25/21 03:40 AM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by KRoyal

Haha, I can get on a soapbox about it because I've been around them.

The idea of overlanding is awesome though. Get out on lesser traveled roads and camp. It's just the social media aspect and gotta "do it for the gram" that irritates me. Just do it for you and your family, not to get followers on instagram

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: Dustnsand] #8142377 01/25/21 03:41 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy OP
Texoma Legend
OP Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by LFD2037
I do. Having a RTT on top of the vehicle sucks. Only way I'd do it is in a trailer. I built an off road trailer like the one posted above & planned on putting a tent on it but have been very happy w/my Kodiak canvas. After sleeping in a friends RTT I decided they suck. They flap in the wind, shake around in the wind, the pads are too thin, it sucks having to piss in the middle of the night, have to close it back up to go hit a trail or run to the store, not tall enough & the list goes on.
I'm glad I stuck w/my 10x14 canvas tent. It takes about the same time to set up but has a ton of benefits over the RTT.

I've done alot of camping and 4wheeling that could be called overlanding and now basically do the same with a motorcycle. At one point I wanted a RTT and have been with friends who have them.

What I've learned is the RTT is great for not needing to find a flat, smooth spot for a ground tent. Other than that, meh. I can set my tent up and take it down way faster that a RTT. RTTs also have very bad moisture problems, hence why condensation mats are a thing. My sister and BIL recently got one and on the morning after their first night they were drying bedding over a fire because everything in the tent was soaked. RTTs are also very noisy in the wind. If mounted above the cab you are dragging and windblock down the road. And they are 2-3x the cost of a extremely good ground tent.

That said, the people I know that have them, do like them. I just know after seeing them in action, I prefer a ground tent.

Thanks this is the stuff I’m looking for as far has what gear to get or pass on. I don’t mind doing a ground tent and would be much much cheaper. Just kind of liked the idea of being up off the ground. My wife isn’t a huge outdoors type lol sleeping with snakes isn’t her thing.

[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: Dustnsand] #8142378 01/25/21 03:42 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy OP
Texoma Legend
OP Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by KRoyal

Haha, I can get on a soapbox about it because I've been around them.

The idea of overlanding is awesome though. Get out on lesser traveled roads and camp. It's just the social media aspect and gotta "do it for the gram" that irritates me. Just do it for you and your family, not to get followers on instagram

Yea totally agree on that.

[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: KRoyal] #8142383 01/25/21 03:46 AM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
I was getting my truck ready to take some small Overland trips but I don't have anybody to go with so I gave up on the idea. This is what I was looking at but it would get cramped with over two people in it.

https://cascadiatents.com/black%20series.html

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Anyone do any over landing? [Re: KRoyal] #8142385 01/25/21 03:47 AM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Do you have any camping gear currently?

Camping is one of my favorite things and I've been through alot of different setups through the years tuning my setup to fit my needs so have some insight.

I would recommend decent but not all out on gear until you know its something yall are going to enjoy doing. Certain gear you can go cheaper on than others.

You'd hate to drop $2k on a RTT and use it for one trip

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide