B
Brother in-law Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
My folks heater isn’t playing well

Looking for a honest person

Re: Any HVAC dudes? Farmers Branch [Re: Brother in-law] #8141452 01/24/21 04:47 PM
D
decook Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Brother in-law

BiL, kinda sad you have to ask it that way. Most in the profession are hard working guys doing an honest job. I had one that less than honest...

My circuit board went out. Small burn mark on it that the A/C guy showed me. He had to order one, but in the mean time he rigged it so the fan was always on and the A/C cycled as it needed to. The board was $300, the install was around the same price.

I told my friend this who was also a building manager where I officed. He laughed and told me to go google that circuit board by the model number. 19 bucks, and available at a store close by. My friend was also EPA certified, so he and I drove a block away and bought it. I know it must be tough for an A/C guy in the winter, but that was up-charged just too much.

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: Any HVAC dudes? Farmers Branch [Re: decook] #8141619 01/24/21 07:19 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted by decook
Originally Posted by Brother in-law

BiL, kinda sad you have to ask it that way. Most in the profession are hard working guys doing an honest job. I had one that less than honest...

My circuit board went out. Small burn mark on it that the A/C guy showed me. He had to order one, but in the mean time he rigged it so the fan was always on and the A/C cycled as it needed to. The board was $300, the install was around the same price.

I told my friend this who was also a building manager where I officed. He laughed and told me to go google that circuit board by the model number. 19 bucks, and available at a store close by. My friend was also EPA certified, so he and I drove a block away and bought it. I know it must be tough for an A/C guy in the winter, but that was up-charged just too much.

What do you think that tech should have charged for the board, his time to troubleshoot the problem, his return trip to swap it out, bypassing the board to get your stuff going, maintaining his license, liability insurance, commercial insurance on his vehicle, accounting and other overhead costs, warranty return trip in case the new board failed (because you'd expect a new one for free if the new board failed, right?)? What is a fair price for all of that?

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: Any HVAC dudes? Farmers Branch [Re: Brother in-law] #8141630 01/24/21 07:32 PM
P
Poppa Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
also, that mite have been an oem board he quoted and your friend bought a universal? dont know. i quote oem parts. they are usually more expensive.

Re: Any HVAC dudes? Farmers Branch [Re: Brother in-law] #8141799 01/24/21 09:39 PM
D
decook Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
OK, I'll play for a minute
I'm talking about the part. The labor is not disputed. Where did you get that from?

So let's address the part. Do you think a 1479% markup is reasonable?

You do know there's people reading this that need (or may need) future A/C professional help, right? If you think that nearly 1500% markup is fair and right, you're scaring off customers.

Re: Any HVAC dudes? Farmers Branch [Re: Brother in-law] #8141815 01/24/21 09:47 PM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
From my limited experience a new control board will get you back up and running just about every time. (I have bought 3 in the last 18 years). I just replaced the one in our downstairs unit last week. You can order online for cheapest price or go to Locke Supply in Plano and they will sell to the public. Simple plug and play install. Just be sure and mark which wire goes where for when you go back.
[Linked Image]

Re: Any HVAC dudes? Farmers Branch [Re: Brother in-law] #8141881 01/24/21 10:34 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Turned out a rodent ate a wire. Should be an easy fix but had to return Monday with the part.

Re: Any HVAC dudes? Farmers Branch [Re: decook] #8141911 01/24/21 10:52 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I'm talking about the part. The labor is not disputed. Where did you get that from?

You do know there's people reading this that need (or may need) future A/C professional help, right? If you think that nearly 1500% markup is fair and right, you're scaring off customers.

You ignored every expense I listed, of which there are many more, that goes into running an a/c business, any business. Because if you aren't making money, you have a hobby not a business.

As for losing customers, I'm not. Because I don't do residential work. Things like this right here are mostly why I no longer do residential. Most customers are great. Some, not so much. Then there are some that get quoted high prices so they'll never call again. Which are you?

And like Poppa pointed out, the tech could have been quoting an oem part, which does cost more. So that would make a dent in your perceived profit margin figures.

So he wanted $600 ($300 for the part and $300 labor, right?) to come to your house twice, troubleshoot and change a part. Then if that part failed for any reason not of his doing in the next yr he'd have to come back and replace it for free. That's $200 per trip. Not bad if you ask me, but then again I am in the industry and understand how this stuff works.

Good luck to you.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: Any HVAC dudes? Farmers Branch [Re: psycho0819] #8141929 01/24/21 11:05 PM
D
decook Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted by psycho0819

You ignored every expense I listed, of which there are many more, that goes into running an a/c business, any business. Because if you aren't making money, you have a hobby not a business.

As for losing customers, I'm not. Because I don't do residential work. Things like this right here are mostly why I no longer do residential. Most customers are great. Some, not so much. Then there are some that get quoted high prices so they'll never call again. Which are you?

And like Poppa pointed out, the tech could have been quoting an oem part, which does cost more. So that would make a dent in your perceived profit margin figures.

So he wanted $600 ($300 for the part and $300 labor, right?) to come to your house twice, troubleshoot and change a part. Then if that part failed for any reason not of his doing in the next yr he'd have to come back and replace it for free. That's $200 per trip. Not bad if you ask me, but then again I am in the industry and understand how this stuff works.

Good luck to you.

I was the paying customer that paid. What you didn't know because I didnt post it was that day 1, the diagnosis was completed, the bypass was done, a couple pounds of R22 was added to the 5-ton, and some was added to the 2 ton unit. We paid day 1 in full because it was going to take 3 to 5 days to get the part in. I really didnt feel the need to timeline the whole visit, but I was wrong. That's OK, you were defending the industry and I get that. This guy tried to rip me off. Plain and simple.

Last edited by decook; 01/24/21 11:10 PM.

Re: Any HVAC dudes? Farmers Branch [Re: Brother in-law] #8141983 01/24/21 11:37 PM
D
decook Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
OK, lets answer some questions.

What do you think that tech should have charged for the board 100% markup, industry standard. I could have gone 200% and not had any issue
his time to troubleshoot the problem That was paid for in the first visit
his return trip to swap it out It took me 15 minutes to swap that out. I'm not sure what the minimum charge is for a visit
bypassing the board to get your stuff going That was paid for in the first visit
maintaining his license That's the cost of him doing business, not mine.
liability insurance That's the cost of him doing business, not mine.
commercial insurance on his vehicle That's the cost of him doing business, not mine.
accounting and other overhead costs That's the cost of him doing business, not mine.
warranty return trip in case the new board failed (because you'd expect a new one for free if the new board failed, right?)? That's the cost of him doing business, not mine.
What is a fair price for all of that? I'm not sure. I didnt allow it to get that far.

OK, your turn. I only have 2 questions. You dodged my question regarding 1479% markup. Is this fair? Would you pay that if you knew otherwise?
On second thought, you dont need to answer that. This can die right here and now.

Re: Any HVAC dudes? Farmers Branch [Re: Brother in-law] #8142003 01/24/21 11:46 PM
L
Lazyjack Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
What make and model furnace and what part number for board. No dog in the fight. Just curious.

If the 2nd amendment was written just to include guns for hunting, why is there not an amendment to protect fishing poles?
Re: Any HVAC dudes? Farmers Branch [Re: Brother in-law] #8142019 01/24/21 11:52 PM
D
decook Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I dont remember, nearly 10 years ago and both the 5 ton and 2 ton have been replaced with more modern R410 units.

Oh, To Brother in-law, please accept my apology for feeding in to the hyjack of your thread. I'm done with it, I hope you find a THF'r to assist you.

Re: Any HVAC dudes? Farmers Branch [Re: Brother in-law] #8142032 01/25/21 12:01 AM
P
Poppa Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
how much did they charge for the refrigerant? they checked and serviced two systems? got ya going then replaced board on the next trip for $600 ? sounds good to me. what did the dentist charge ya the last time ya had a crown? did ya shop it? no ya didnt because ya cant buy crowns on the web. yall ytube warriors are killin me GO CHIEFS!!!

Last edited by Poppa; 01/25/21 12:02 AM.
Re: Any HVAC dudes? Farmers Branch [Re: decook] #8145767 01/27/21 08:04 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P

What do you think that tech should have charged for the board 100% markup, industry standard. I could have gone 200% and not had any issue How would you know what industry standard is? A lot of companies don't even work off of that method any longer. Many out there run on Book Rates.
his return trip to swap it out It took me 15 minutes to swap that out. I'm not sure what the minimum charge is for a visit It took you 15 minutes to swap it out, ok. Do you account for the tech's time to go to a supply house, wait in line, drive to and from?
bypassing the board to get your stuff going That was paid for in the first visit
maintaining his license That's the cost of him doing business, not mine. Any cost of doing business transfer to the customer, in any business. Do you honestly think that when government increases taxes on a business that the business just makes less money?
liability insurance That's the cost of him doing business, not mine. Any cost of doing business transfer to the customer, in any business. Do you honestly think that when government increases taxes on a business that the business just makes less money?
commercial insurance on his vehicle That's the cost of him doing business, not mine. Any cost of doing business transfer to the customer, in any business. Do you honestly think that when government increases taxes on a business that the business just makes less money?
accounting and other overhead costs That's the cost of him doing business, not mine. Any cost of doing business transfer to the customer, in any business. Do you honestly think that when government increases taxes on a business that the business just makes less money?
warranty return trip in case the new board failed (because you'd expect a new one for free if the new board failed, right?)? That's the cost of him doing business, not mine. Any cost of ding business transfer to the customer, in any business. Do you honestly think that when government increases taxes on a business that the business just makes less money?
What is a fair price for all of that? I'm not sure. I didnt allow it to get that far.

OK, your turn. I only have 2 questions. You dodged my question regarding 1479% markup. Is this fair? Would you pay that if you knew otherwise? I didn't dodge anything. You made the assumption that the tech was using the same cheap [censored] board you bought. I readily acknowledged that he might have been quoting an OEM board, which often costs several times more than much cheaper universal parts. So your markup assumptions are just that, assumptions.
On second thought, you dont need to answer that. This can die right here and now.

But maybe you did run across some truly crooked, they do certainly exist. But too many times I've run across customers who have it all figured out, just like you, except for one very important part.... Which is the knowledge required to troubleshoot the unit in the first place. Something you needed in order to save money then trash him online.

Re: Any HVAC dudes? Farmers Branch [Re: Brother in-law] #8146130 01/27/21 11:54 PM
D
decook Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
psycho0819, all the troubleshooting, R22 top offs, and the fan bypass were paid for on day 1. The $600 bill was to swap out the board, nothing more and nothing more was unpaid from the 1st visit. My building manager friend was the one that alerted me to the rip-off. I'm not going to apologize to you or anyone else here. This was wrong, and i meant what I said.

Trash him online? I never mentioned anyone by name or company. What the heck are you talking about?

Re: Any HVAC dudes? Farmers Branch [Re: decook] #8146386 01/28/21 03:54 AM
R
RedRaider13 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R

What do you think that tech should have charged for the board 100% markup, industry standard. I could have gone 200% and not had any issue
his return trip to swap it out It took me 15 minutes to swap that out. I'm not sure what the minimum charge is for a visit
maintaining his license That's the cost of him doing business, not mine.
liability insurance That's the cost of him doing business, not mine.
commercial insurance on his vehicle That's the cost of him doing business, not mine.
accounting and other overhead costs That's the cost of him doing business, not mine.
warranty return trip in case the new board failed (because you'd expect a new one for free if the new board failed, right?)? That's the cost of him doing business, not mine.

OK, your turn. I only have 2 questions. You dodged my question regarding 1479% markup. Is this fair? Would you pay that if you knew otherwise?

Decook, what do you do for a living?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide