Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Cabelas-Ammo new policy??? [Re: GusWayne] #8138677 01/22/21 02:12 AM
P_102 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Procraft, Cabelas hires people at $10 per hour, no matter their background and puts them on the floor to learn as they go. Being Cabelas, they get applicants with good knowledge of fishing, hunting, shooting, etc., sometimes they place them properly, sometimes not. At the Gun Library you might find an ex-shooter with years and years of knowledge or, well......not.

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: Cabelas-Ammo new policy??? [Re: Pig_Popper] #8138742 01/22/21 03:10 AM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
To your point, ammo behind the counter can’t be purchased unless you buy a firearm.

Originally Posted by Pig_Popper
[Linked Image]

Arrived at the Cabelas store in North Ft Worth

[Linked Image]

Current signage at the registers indicates folks can buy ammo with states limits , no gun purchase necessary

[Linked Image]

Here is how they are doing things, all ammo available for purchase without buying a gun is found on these shelves

[Linked Image]

Here is the NEW policy that was started on Monday for the ammo being held behind the gun counter

Re: Cabelas-Ammo new policy??? [Re: GusWayne] #8138757 01/22/21 03:25 AM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
It's not a bad idea to set ammo aside for those buying a NEW gun. Gun is kinda worthless without it right?

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Cabelas-Ammo new policy??? [Re: GusWayne] #8138767 01/22/21 03:31 AM
scbgranbury Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Cabela’s employees (not all of them) usually don’t even know the policies. You can get 10 different answers from 10 different employees on a fine print issue. It is a place of last resort for me. My kids have fun running around there though.

Re: Cabelas-Ammo new policy??? [Re: GusWayne] #8138778 01/22/21 03:40 AM
M
Misfire Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted by procraft05
Originally Posted by Misfire
Originally Posted by Misfire
Joke is on them. I just ordered a case of shotshells online and didn't buy a gun.

Don’t be surprised if you have a note in the box when your ammo is delivered that says you must return it if you didn’t purchase a gun within the last 30 days from their store.

Also you’ll be responsible for return shipping costs !

stir

They just cancelled my order.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That sucks

Yes it does. They showed stock when I placed the order and paid.. I don’t do a lot of business with Cabelas and the past few weeks I’ve been reminded why. A couple of weeks ago I tried to buy a shotgun, that again, they showed in stock online. After several phone calls to customer service I was assured they didn’t have any in stock and it was removed from their website the next day. Not a huge deal but frustrating that you absolutely can’t trust that they have the inventory they say they have.

"I wanna go fast" -Ricky Bobby

"Mind bottling isn't it?" -Chazz Michael Michaels

Re: Cabelas-Ammo new policy??? [Re: GusWayne] #8138806 01/22/21 04:18 AM
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
There are metric S*%&$ tons of ammo out there to buy at normal prices, you just have to know hot to find it. Cabelas isn't it.

Re: Cabelas-Ammo new policy??? [Re: GusWayne] #8138815 01/22/21 04:34 AM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by procraft05
The gun library, that’s another story...

In the last 18 months or so I’ve called 2 different stores about different rifles

1 store was in Idaho, I think the other was way up north but don’t recall..Minnesota??

Anyway, the guy in Idaho told me the gun sold almost 2 years prior and hadn’t been taken offline roflmao

The second store up north told me looks like it’s sold already and we don’t sell guns over the phone.

I literally read off their website to him that they do sell guns over the phone.

You pay and have it shipped to a local store for background.

The library is a real S show

I bought a Win 94 just a couple months ago from the Richland store and picked it up in Allen. Had no idea they were so inconsistent across stores. Just another reason to go to Scheels.

Re: Cabelas-Ammo new policy??? [Re: GusWayne] #8139156 01/22/21 03:30 PM
Txhunter65 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Bought a 9mm few weeks ago at Academy...counter guy asked if I wanted to buy a box of shells...the shelves were empty so I asked and he said they always keep boxes in the back for anyone who buys a firearm.

Re: Cabelas-Ammo new policy??? [Re: GusWayne] #8139826 01/23/21 01:30 AM
E
Earl Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Talking about how quick/often the policies change. The ammo policy at the Allen store changed again today but not as drastic as the one mentioned in this thread for Fort Worth. Instead of 5 boxes per caliber, all of which could be bulk boxes it's now 5 boxes overall, only one of which can be a bulk box. Still not too bad though. No gun purchase is required.

At least they don't put it all out at once in the morning like what Academy does which fosters the long lines and out of stock by 9am. At this particular Cabelas store they will put ammo out throughout the day after receiving a shipment - so some in the morning, afternoon and evening.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Cabelas-Ammo new policy??? [Re: GusWayne] #8139897 01/23/21 02:39 AM
M
Misfire Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Ha! What is going on over there..?

[Linked Image]

"I wanna go fast" -Ricky Bobby

"Mind bottling isn't it?" -Chazz Michael Michaels

Re: Cabelas-Ammo new policy??? [Re: The Dude Abides] #8139948 01/23/21 03:19 AM
L
leswad Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308
It's not a bad idea to set ammo aside for those buying a NEW gun. Gun is kinda worthless without it right?

Agree

[Linked Image]

FJB
Re: Cabelas-Ammo new policy??? [Re: Pig_Popper] #8140391 01/23/21 04:20 PM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Managers don’t push ammo carts ... they get employees to do that

Bad managers ....... well yeah they push ammo carts and stock shelves

Sounds like you got bad info - a policy such as described by a free market big box store wouldn’t be smart business

Case in point your not apt to return based on this exchange - right ?

And what’s he stocking the shelves for ? The minute he goes to the break room the customers are going to wipe it clean (the customers not buying rifles)

A good manager does what ever work is necessary when he is short handed or everyone is busy. It sets a good example to other employees.
And with the ammo shortage many gun departments have adopted this policy. Without ammo guns don’t sell. Guns are the most expensive inventory in the store so it has to be moved.
You guys love to badmouth big box stores so much quit shopping at them.

Last edited by huntwest; 01/23/21 04:23 PM.
Re: Cabelas-Ammo new policy??? [Re: Txhunter65] #8140410 01/23/21 04:46 PM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Txhunter65
Bought a 9mm few weeks ago at Academy...counter guy asked if I wanted to buy a box of shells...the shelves were empty so I asked and he said they always keep boxes in the back for anyone who buys a firearm.

How about that. My parents both bought new pistols from Academy back about 3 months ago and were told to come stand in line on the next Tuesday and to get there early. I went with them and we were first in a line of about 20 people. But between the 3 of us we got 9 boxes for them.

Re: Cabelas-Ammo new policy??? [Re: huntwest] #8140423 01/23/21 04:56 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by huntwest

Sounds like you got bad info - a policy such as described by a free market big box store wouldn’t be smart business

And what’s he stocking the shelves for ? The minute he goes to the break room the customers are going to wipe it clean (the customers not buying rifles)

A good manager does what ever work is necessary when he is short handed or everyone is busy. It sets a good example to other employees.
And with the ammo shortage many gun departments have adopted this policy. Without ammo guns don’t sell. Guns are the most expensive inventory in the store so it has to be moved.

Probably same guys that complained about only being able to buy 1 package of toilet paper back in 2020. If you didnt prep for this ammo shortage its on you, not the stores, managers, and manufacturers.

Re: Cabelas-Ammo new policy??? [Re: jeepercreeper] #8140523 01/23/21 06:34 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by jeepercreeper

If you didnt prep for this ammo shortage its on you, not the stores, managers, and manufacturers.

BOOM! This ^^^

Last edited by TXGUNNER308; 01/23/21 06:49 PM.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Cabelas-Ammo new policy??? [Re: huntwest] #8140530 01/23/21 06:46 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

True that. When I managed a store I was on the forklift loading and unloading. Whatever it takes.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Cabelas-Ammo new policy??? [Re: GusWayne] #8140808 01/23/21 11:55 PM
G
GusWayne Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
G
If these big box stores would have prepared a little better for the shortage we’d all be able to have ammo

peep

Re: Cabelas-Ammo new policy??? [Re: GusWayne] #8140991 01/24/21 02:19 AM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Is there a ammo shortage? I've heard that the companies are making more ammo now than they ever have in their history, it just gets bought immediately.

I don't know either way, just what someone told me, so am curious.

Re: Cabelas-Ammo new policy??? [Re: GusWayne] #8165823 02/12/21 12:36 AM
M
Mallardoak Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
Local gun stores are adopting the same policy must buy a gun

Re: Cabelas-Ammo new policy??? [Re: GusWayne] #8167044 02/12/21 09:11 PM
P
Plinkin' Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Yep, similar story at some ranges and stores. One range you have a membership, use a lane, or buy a gun to get ammo. I go to stores that have ammo, but they all have limits except at shops with oldie stuff. I shop there as well. Trading is a good answer sometimes. And one of my shops will do that, and that is unheard of. Strange days and more ahead.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide