Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Deer Lease President #8139356 01/22/21 06:31 PM
T
TxHunter87 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
I am apart of a small lease of 6 members max (right now its only 5 due to a choice we made last year) and i am now the president of the lease. The lease is made of of pretty much family and very close family friends but for usually 1 member that usually isn't, normally someone we find to fill a spot.

I've been president for 1 real year and when i took the position i thought of all the good i could do but i feel i am hitting a wall and starting to see why no one wants to be president.

My question is on yalls lease what is the responsibility of the president,

What do you want the president to do and what do you want them to stay out of.

And any advice yall have found beneficial while being president or seen by a president yall liked.

Thanks

Re: Deer Lease President [Re: TxHunter87] #8139357 01/22/21 06:33 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
popcorn

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Deer Lease President [Re: TxHunter87] #8139361 01/22/21 06:36 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Tell us about your required duties as president?

To be determined
Re: Deer Lease President [Re: TxHunter87] #8139365 01/22/21 06:40 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Are the interns cute? bolt

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Deer Lease President [Re: TxHunter87] #8139381 01/22/21 06:58 PM
T
TLew Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TxHunter87
The lease is made of of pretty much family and very close family friends but for usually 1 member that

Originally Posted by Creekrunner

Only if the lease is in Arkansas peep

Re: Deer Lease President [Re: TxHunter87] #8139393 01/22/21 07:07 PM
T
TxHunter87 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T

Technically, these are the responsibilities we lay out in the rules we have made. Our rules are very new, though ive been on the lease 10 plus years we only in the last few actually wrote down the rules. Each year after that we have had to go back in to add and adjust the rules so what they are now might not be what they are in a few months when we get together and go back over everything.

Lease President Responsibilities are as follows:
1. Serve as the main contact representative with the landowners and land management program contacts.
2. Organizing and scheduling the dates with all members for both the Annual Spring Member Meeting and Camp Work Weekends and setting an agenda for them.
3. Submitting on time and completely filling out, all member lease contracts to landowner and all MLD program materials to MLD program managers.
4. Enforcing all rules to lease members and enforcing punishments to members that are in violations of rules.
5. Act as final arbitrator for all disputes between members that are not specifically stated in lease rules or contracts.
6. Being responsible for the camp budget and for updating members on any purchases made with lease budget.
7. Ensures proper locks and signs are on all gates and changes lock combinations annually.

Re: Deer Lease President [Re: TxHunter87] #8139394 01/22/21 07:07 PM
T
TxHunter87 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Interns used to be cute then we got old and fat

Re: Deer Lease President [Re: TxHunter87] #8139395 01/22/21 07:07 PM
J
jetdad Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I would stop calling myself president. I don't mean that in an offensive way, but if it's only 5 members and they are family and very close friends???

Re: Deer Lease President [Re: TLew] #8139404 01/22/21 07:18 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by TLew
The lease is made of of pretty much family and very close family friends but for usually 1 member that

Originally Posted by Creekrunner

Only if the lease is in Arkansas peep
laugh

[Linked Image]

texas flag

Re: Deer Lease President [Re: TxHunter87] #8139410 01/22/21 07:21 PM
T
TxHunter87 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
No offense taken, its a term we have always called the Lessee on the lease contract we get from the Lessor.

Re: Deer Lease President [Re: TxHunter87] #8139413 01/22/21 07:25 PM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Have a couple of work parties, spend time with friends & family and shoot a few deer.

HAVE FUN!

Your stressing over nothing.

Re: Deer Lease President [Re: TxHunter87] #8139417 01/22/21 07:26 PM
J
jetdad Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I would tend to think it might draw more responsibility in your direction. A lease with a few members and being close like that should have equally shared responsibility.

Re: Deer Lease President [Re: TxHunter87] #8139430 01/22/21 07:34 PM
T
TxHunter87 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
That just might work jetdad

Re: Deer Lease President [Re: TxHunter87] #8139448 01/22/21 07:43 PM
H
HWY72 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H

Technically, these are the responsibilities we lay out in the rules we have made. Our rules are very new, though ive been on the lease 10 plus years we only in the last few actually wrote down the rules. Each year after that we have had to go back in to add and adjust the rules so what they are now might not be what they are in a few months when we get together and go back over everything.

1. Serve as the main contact representative with the landowners and land management program contacts.
2. Organizing and scheduling the dates with all members for both the Annual Spring Member Meeting and Camp Work Weekends and setting an agenda for them.
3. Submitting on time and completely filling out, all member lease contracts to landowner and all MLD program materials to MLD program managers.
4. Enforcing all rules to lease members and enforcing punishments to members that are in violations of rules.
5. Act as final arbitrator for all disputes between members that are not specifically stated in lease rules or contracts.
6. Being responsible for the camp budget and for updating members on any purchases made with lease budget.
7. Ensures proper locks and signs are on all gates and changes lock combinations annually.

You've got 7 items listed and 5-6 members - assign each member one of those responsibilities- you can be the main contact and arbitrator......

Re: Deer Lease President [Re: TxHunter87] #8139454 01/22/21 07:50 PM
T
TxHunter87 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
HWY72 I like that idea alot. i dont know if i could get everyone to take responsibility for something but i can see this working

Re: Deer Lease President [Re: TxHunter87] #8139522 01/22/21 08:51 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Is your name on the dotted line with the landowner? In other words, if a bunch of guys bail out on you, do YOU have to still come up with the total lease fee to the landowner? If not, and your lease is small with a close knit group of friends then a few common sense things should be spelled out but shouldnt be a big deal.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Deer Lease President [Re: TxHunter87] #8139565 01/22/21 09:31 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D

Sounds like standard lease boss duties. Make sure everyone has printed and emailed versions of the rules (so they can't say they didn't know them). It's a lot of extra work, so hopefully you get a $ break or at least a nice bottle of whiskey for taking in the extra duty.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Deer Lease President [Re: TxHunter87] #8139614 01/22/21 10:19 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Our landowner calls me the lease "Captain." I'm responsible for EVERYTHING. Wouldn't have it any other way.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Deer Lease President [Re: Jimbo1] #8139650 01/22/21 10:51 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Jimbo1
Our landowner calls me the lease "Captain." I'm responsible for EVERYTHING. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Don't forget being accountable as well. There is a difference between the two. Accountability means receiving credit when things go well and paying a price when they don't. Politicians are often quick to take responsibility but almost always run from accountability after things go south.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 01/22/21 10:55 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Deer Lease President [Re: TxHunter87] #8139651 01/22/21 10:53 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Deer Lease President [Re: TxHunter87] #8139677 01/22/21 11:24 PM
T
TxHunter87 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
lucky money and contracts are do at the same time so i cant be left with a bill if other back out. my name is the one on the line

reading yalls comments its like i agree with all of yall but i cant tell if im just making this to complicated.
i think sharing responsibility is a good idea, i dont know how much power the president should have but at the same time someone should

i can say rules seem like something easy but man you do have to account for the possibility of having one guy you find on the THF and need to spell out the rules for. We have only had good luck finding memebers of THF but things the 5 of us do normally isnt always normal to the 6 guy who is an outsider.

Re: Deer Lease President [Re: TxHunter87] #8139732 01/23/21 12:01 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
We have only had good luck finding members of THF but things the 5 of us do normally isn't always normal to the 6 guy who is an outsider.

It points to why getting on a "good" lease is often so difficult. You usually have to wait until someone dies or moves away for an opening to pop up. Existing members can also be reluctant to recommend someone since guys often change once you put a gun in their hand. With very few exceptions, every new member is an unknown until they've been a member for at least a year.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 01/23/21 12:02 AM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Deer Lease President [Re: TxHunter87] #8139773 01/23/21 12:35 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
lucky money and contracts are do at the same time so i cant be left with a bill if other back out. my name is the one on the line

reading yalls comments its like i agree with all of yall but i cant tell if im just making this to complicated.
i think sharing responsibility is a good idea, i dont know how much power the president should have but at the same time someone should

i can say rules seem like something easy but man you do have to account for the possibility of having one guy you find on the THF and need to spell out the rules for. We have only had good luck finding memebers of THF but things the 5 of us do normally isnt always normal to the 6 guy who is an outsider.

Ok, so no dog in this fight, but im curious and also maybe can help you some. I manage two leases with 20++ guys between them and I write checks for closer to 200k than 100k for lease fees and all feed, food plots and misc expenses. I usually get all my money repaid by the guys but my necks still on the line if not. I know this isnt your situation but im just saying ive worn out some moccasins going down the trail your on. Im ok with the job and its one I ask for since I found the leases, started from scratch and my names definitely the only one on the line.
Hypothetical, when the money and the contracts come due and youve got a guy moves outa State with his job(MANY other reasons guys get off good leases) and he needs to be replaced? Do you give up the lease or does SOMEBODY pay his share and then go out and beat the bushes to find a replacement?

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Deer Lease President [Re: TxHunter87] #8139780 01/23/21 12:44 AM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
I am apart of a small lease of 6 members max (right now its only 5 due to a choice we made last year) and i am now the president of the lease. The lease is made of of pretty much family and very close family friends but for usually 1 member that usually isn't, normally someone we find to fill a spot.

I've been president for 1 real year and when i took the position i thought of all the good i could do but i feel i am hitting a wall and starting to see why no one wants to be president.

My question is on yalls lease what is the responsibility of the president,

What do you want the president to do and what do you want them to stay out of.

And any advice yall have found beneficial while being president or seen by a president yall liked.

Thanks

The very first rule after becoming president is to demand that everyone call you MR President.

Understand that YOU are in charge, make sure everyone understands that what you say goes. Period.

As President, you should never have to cook, clean, mow, fill feeders, clean your own animals etc. That's what you have everyone else for.

Also, as President you should make it clear that you shouldn't have to buy your own beer.

Your most important duty as President, is being the "shot caller" on what deer can and can not be killed. If anyone argues this point with you, disciplinary action may be required. You set the rules on deer. As President, you don't have to follow these rules though. If you want to bring a guest and let said guest take a deer that you put on the No Kill List, that is perfectly within your rights as President of the Lease.

Hope this helps. grin

Re: Deer Lease President [Re: TxHunter87] #8139784 01/23/21 12:49 AM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Do you give up the lease or does SOMEBODY pay his share and then go out and beat the bushes to find a replacement?

Manager is responsible for payment and finding replacements. It's such a PIA that I personally absorbed most of the fee the last couple years when a member moved on. But that's just me.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide