Print Thread
Free Hog Trapping #8130220 01/15/21 02:06 PM
J
JH117 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
Does anyone in the Wise/Parker County area trap and remove hogs for free? I have a buddy that has a pretty severe hog problem and needs someone to go out and get rid of them. He doesn't want them hunted, just removed. I've put cameras out and so far have seen at least 30 hogs. I wasn't sure if free hog trapping is even a thing but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Thanks.

Re: Free Hog Trapping [Re: JH117] #8130548 01/15/21 05:50 PM
S
Sauerkraut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JH117
Does anyone in the Wise/Parker County area trap and remove hogs for free? I have a buddy that has a pretty severe hog problem and needs someone to go out and get rid of them. He doesn't want them hunted, just removed. I've put cameras out and so far have seen at least 30 hogs. I wasn't sure if free hog trapping is even a thing but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Thanks.

I'm not an expert by any means, but you might contact Texas A&M. I've heard of them putting traps on people's land at no charge. That may be in a very specific situation though...

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom." - Ecclesiastes 9:10
Re: Free Hog Trapping [Re: JH117] #8130616 01/15/21 06:35 PM
BbarVRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker

Wonder why he doesn't want them hunted?

Keeping hunting pressure on hogs constantly is one of the best ways to keep hogs away.

Trapping the entire sounder is the best way to eliminate the most hogs, but the ones surrounding the place will fill the void.

USDA APHIS Wildlife Services may come trap some if they want. (210) 472-5451

Re: Free Hog Trapping [Re: BbarVRanch] #8131334 01/16/21 03:24 AM
J
JH117 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted by BbarVRanch

Wonder why he doesn't want them hunted?

Keeping hunting pressure on hogs constantly is one of the best ways to keep hogs away.

Trapping the entire sounder is the best way to eliminate the most hogs, but the ones surrounding the place will fill the void.

USDA APHIS Wildlife Services may come trap some if they want. (210) 472-5451

He has some livestock on the property so I'm assuming he just doesn't want them getting shot. Right now the hogs are rooting almost all the way back to his house and he's getting fed up. Thanks for the heads up on wildlife services. I'll pass on the info to him.

Re: Free Hog Trapping [Re: JH117] #8131589 01/16/21 01:58 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
đź‘Ťđź‘Ť

Re: Free Hog Trapping [Re: JH117] #8131632 01/16/21 02:16 PM
BbarVRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker

He has some livestock on the property so I'm assuming he just doesn't want them getting shot. Right now the hogs are rooting almost all the way back to his house and he's getting fed up..

Man, some of those land owners play that tune like a broken record... bang

It seems that they are still living back in the days of hunters using a headlamp and a 94 Winchester.

They must think that everyone out there shines a light, catches an eye glowing, and starts blasting away at it, only to take down the rancher's prize bull. crazy

There are some irresponsible/inexperienced hunters out there, and what they do follow the rest of us around for decades like the plague.

But with today's night vision technology, there's no excuse for shooting a cow. In fact, I know of no rancher that has actually lost livestock due to giving permission to hunt for coyotes or hogs at night... And that includes the decades of hunting with a light of some sort.

That's an obstacle for us all.

Re: Free Hog Trapping [Re: JH117] #8131697 01/16/21 03:41 PM
J
Jiggamitch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Can build his own circle trap cheap. He's probably got cattle panel and tposts. Easy peasy.

Re: Free Hog Trapping [Re: JH117] #8131863 01/16/21 07:40 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
The last I heard and that wasn’t long ago

They aren’t worth the effort for anyone to just come out for free and trap

They don’t hardly bring any money

Re: Free Hog Trapping [Re: JH117] #8136436 01/20/21 03:23 PM
P
PigMoney Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Currently hogs are .5/.10/.15 a pound with a $5 head bonus across the board. They weren't worth trapping since last November until they put the head bonus on last week with helps with corn and fuel. On facebook there is a new group called The Cellular Trapper, admin is a guy I think down north of Stephenville that builds and sells Cell Traps and also Traps, goes by the name "Wireless Rancher" I believe. He may come up to Wise County, I'm pretty sure he traps in Parker County. His name is Tyge Floyd, super knowledgeable guy about cellular hog trapping.

I run two cell traps up in Childress/Hardeman and surrounding counties and trap free of charge when prices are decent. If pig problems are persistent but prices aren't worth my time, a land owner kicking in corn for bait helps.

“We don’t rent pigs!”- Hat Creek Cattle Company
Re: Free Hog Trapping [Re: JH117] #8136456 01/20/21 03:33 PM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
"Man, some of those land owners play that tune like a broken record... bang

It seems that they are still living back in the days of hunters using a headlamp and a 94 Winchester.

They must think that everyone out there shines a light, catches an eye glowing, and starts blasting away at it, only to take down the rancher's prize bull. crazy"

This kind of attitude is why land owners are reluctant to let strangers on their land.

Re: Free Hog Trapping [Re: fishdfly] #8136479 01/20/21 03:50 PM
BbarVRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by fishdfly
"Man, some of those land owners play that tune like a broken record... bang

They must think that everyone out there shines a light, catches an eye glowing, and starts blasting away at it, only to take down the rancher's prize bull. crazy"

This kind of attitude is why land owners are reluctant to let strangers on their land.

Really?

I point out that technology and more responsible hunters are different now, than things were 30 years ago, and I have an attitude? loco

I'm merely pointing out the most given reason for denial of access. Don't shoot the messenger.

Truth be known, the underlying problem is that NOBODY lets strangers on their land anymore.

Permissions to hunt are gathered by word of mouth, responsibility and results.

I don't agree with you that I have an attitude. I cultivate personal places to hunt, and historically, have much more land to hunt by permission than I can even get around to. It never hurts to be nice to, and try and educate and interest land owners in what you are doing.

As a rancher myself, I would not let strangers come hunt my land. I don't lease it either. But I do let friends and family come hunt.

Re: Free Hog Trapping [Re: PigMoney] #8137810 01/21/21 04:13 PM
J
JH117 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted by PigMoney
Currently hogs are .5/.10/.15 a pound with a $5 head bonus across the board. They weren't worth trapping since last November until they put the head bonus on last week with helps with corn and fuel. On facebook there is a new group called The Cellular Trapper, admin is a guy I think down north of Stephenville that builds and sells Cell Traps and also Traps, goes by the name "Wireless Rancher" I believe. He may come up to Wise County, I'm pretty sure he traps in Parker County. His name is Tyge Floyd, super knowledgeable guy about cellular hog trapping.

I run two cell traps up in Childress/Hardeman and surrounding counties and trap free of charge when prices are decent. If pig problems are persistent but prices aren't worth my time, a land owner kicking in corn for bait helps.

Thank you PigMoney, that's some very helpful info. After letting him read these threads i've pretty much got him talked into letting me hunt the pigs. If we can't put a dent in them, then i'll reach out to Wireless Rancher.

Re: Free Hog Trapping [Re: JH117] #8137817 01/21/21 04:16 PM
BbarVRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker

Thank you PigMoney, that's some very helpful info. After letting him read these threads i've pretty much got him talked into letting me hunt the pigs. If we can't put a dent in them, then i'll reach out to Wireless Rancher.

Excellent!

You won't have to kill 'em all. Just stay after them regularly, and they will make themselves scarce. smile

But DO TRY to kill 'em all! rifle

Re: Free Hog Trapping [Re: JH117] #8141905 01/24/21 10:47 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Watch for the cows, you might be surprised how often hogs and cows are pretty close to each other.

Re: Free Hog Trapping [Re: JH117] #8144067 01/26/21 04:24 PM
J
Josey Wales Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by PigMoney

If you need help, I live in Weatherford and have night vision

Fortitudine Vincimus - By endurance we conquer.

Nothing is impossible for the man who will not listen to reason - John Belushi in Animal House
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide