Page 1 of 2 1 2
Poor examples of your own profession... #8135299 01/19/21 07:21 PM
R
redchevy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
How do you feel when you are confronted with poor examples of your own profession?

I am a real estate appraiser by trade. Most of what we do has to be fairly well done as most of it is for condemnation proceedings etc. and all has a chance of and quite a bit of it does wind up in court.

My wife and I are building on our property and I just got the as proposed appraisal today. Wow, don't even know where to start. First the appraiser looked at and took photos of the wrong property, second their comps suck azz, the property across the street from us recently sold about a month ago and would be a good comp and they didn't use it. In the cost approach they didn't use sales to come up with a value of the land just put a number in even though there are 3 great current land sales there within a 1/4 mile on the same road. They made the number and then some, but wow the appraisal is not worth the paper I printed it on.

When we bought our first house the appraisal was the same, made the number but man it was junk. I guess it helps me understand why people do not think very highly of appraisers sometimes.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Poor examples of your own profession... [Re: redchevy] #8135330 01/19/21 07:42 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

There's people of low character in every walk of life. Fortunately, that's not how most folks operate.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: Poor examples of your own profession... [Re: redchevy] #8135350 01/19/21 07:52 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Start a FB group and you can show everyone they suck. Otherwise, what can ya do?

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: Poor examples of your own profession... [Re: redchevy] #8135381 01/19/21 08:07 PM
R
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Errr I'd have to join the book of faces first... and that aint happening! Still irks me I just paid $825 for a piece of carp. If it wouldn't accomplish what I needed then I would use the attached dispute form that came with the report lol must not be a new thing.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Poor examples of your own profession... [Re: redchevy] #8135424 01/19/21 08:41 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Don’t get me started on how much I HATE appraisers, no offense. Recently refinanced my house and the appraiser only used smaller homes, and some of those smaller homes sold for more than what he appraised mine at, all on 1 acre. Mine is the newest and biggest, but he wouldn’t include the house that I share a fence with that literally sold the month before he did the appraisal.

Re: Poor examples of your own profession... [Re: redchevy] #8135449 01/19/21 08:59 PM
B
BigfootWallace Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
To me it would be a fairly easy gig. Nowadays everybody and their dog lives in a brand new cookie cutter subdivision house with no trees in the yard with a thousand other houses that look just like it. [Linked Image]

Re: Poor examples of your own profession... [Re: BigPig] #8135451 01/19/21 09:00 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
Originally Posted by BigPig
Don’t get me started on how much I HATE appraisers, no offense. Recently refinanced my house and the appraiser only used smaller homes, and some of those smaller homes sold for more than what he appraised mine at, all on 1 acre. Mine is the newest and biggest, but he wouldn’t include the house that I share a fence with that literally sold the month before he did the appraisal.

Appraiser and inspectors are the devil...........Ruin more deals.. Cant wait until AI takes over and gets rid of them.

No offense but I don't even see a need for a realtor. Block Chain and AI and my money.........I will be able to buy a property in minutes.

Re: Poor examples of your own profession... [Re: redchevy] #8135455 01/19/21 09:05 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
popcorn waiting on 2Beezs to chime in.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Poor examples of your own profession... [Re: BigfootWallace] #8135463 01/19/21 09:09 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BigfootWallace
To me it would be a fairly easy gig. Nowadays everybody and their dog lives in a brand new cookie cutter subdivision house with no trees in the yard with a thousand other houses that look just like it. [Linked Image]

Must be Florida has Skeeter and gator nets over the pools

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Poor examples of your own profession... [Re: redchevy] #8135466 01/19/21 09:12 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I feel bad for lawyers cause it seems everybody hates them. I have no problem with them. Like someone just said, there are bad folks in all walks of life, but I still feel most are good.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Poor examples of your own profession... [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8135468 01/19/21 09:14 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Dang, are you using the Mavens or the Vortex? My old eyes dont even see any pools, much less any nets. Of course I dont care enough to look very hard.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Poor examples of your own profession... [Re: BigfootWallace] #8135470 01/19/21 09:16 PM
R
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

Ive only ever appraised a house that looked like that once, it was about 10 years ago and it was to determine stigma associated with houses that have had professional foundation repairs with a transferable lifetime warranty.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Poor examples of your own profession... [Re: freerange] #8135596 01/19/21 10:39 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by freerange
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Dang, are you using the Mavens or the Vortex? My old eyes dont even see any pools, much less any nets. Of course I dont care enough to look very hard.

Swarovski’s pinch to zoom feature

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Poor examples of your own profession... [Re: redchevy] #8135601 01/19/21 10:42 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Lawyers and politicians deserve all the hate sent their way. They are the poster child of "scum of the earth".

Re: Poor examples of your own profession... [Re: freerange] #8135647 01/19/21 11:16 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by freerange
I feel bad for lawyers cause it seems everybody hates them. I have no problem with them. Like someone just said, there are bad folks in all walks of life, but I still feel most are good.

Slippery slope. People are not inherently good, but, there are a lot of good people. Personal Injury lawyers (aka "Ambulance chasers") are a completely different breed apart from attorneys in general.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Poor examples of your own profession... [Re: reeltexan] #8135654 01/19/21 11:19 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by reeltexan

There's people of low character in every walk of life. Fortunately, that's not how most folks operate.

Re: Poor examples of your own profession... [Re: redchevy] #8135677 01/19/21 11:28 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I was in sales. There's a lot of piss-poor salesmen in the world. It used to be an art, without taking advantage of the customer. The phrase involving a troop train comes to mind, but it would be in very poor taste.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Poor examples of your own profession... [Re: redchevy] #8135680 01/19/21 11:32 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
For land deals, appraisals are retroactive....they are going off past sales of what they have access too.

I constantly receive appraisals on land ( not for lending but for market value. ) and am shocked at what they are considering market value. I had one buyer bring his appraiser ( well known local company ) to appraise a ranch he was interested in buying.

Well his appraisal came back $400k lower than what the seller had bought the property for. I laughed and told him he was crazy. 6 weeks later I sold It for full asking price. Same company told me I couldn’t get more than $8k/acre for property along 290....I sold it for $17,500/acre. Too many people take an appraisal as gospel on value when the appraisers are calling real estate people to get their sales to even come up with values. And I share very little sales with appraisers

I deal with chitty real estate agents all the time too. Very common

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Poor examples of your own profession... [Re: redchevy] #8135728 01/20/21 12:11 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I feel like it’s just another day doing what I do. I couldn’t even begin to explain how many idiots are doing what I do and getting away with it, without writing a book on the subject. In fact, I could write a book on it, if people outside of the oilfield understood what we did.

Re: Poor examples of your own profession... [Re: txtrophy85] #8136038 01/20/21 03:35 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
For land deals, appraisals are retroactive....they are going off past sales of what they have access too.

I constantly receive appraisals on land ( not for lending but for market value. ) and am shocked at what they are considering market value. I had one buyer bring his appraiser ( well known local company ) to appraise a ranch he was interested in buying.

Well his appraisal came back $400k lower than what the seller had bought the property for. I laughed and told him he was crazy. 6 weeks later I sold It for full asking price. Same company told me I couldn’t get more than $8k/acre for property along 290....I sold it for $17,500/acre. Too many people take an appraisal as gospel on value when the appraisers are calling real estate people to get their sales to even come up with values. And I share very little sales with appraisers

Are you dealing with mainly cash buyers?

What is highlighted in blue is BS if you are playing with other peoples money. What I have highlighted in red is why you see situations like this and a further explanation should not be needed.

[Linked Image]
Re: Poor examples of your own profession... [Re: Bee'z] #8136090 01/20/21 04:36 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by 2Beez

Are you dealing with mainly cash buyers?

What is highlighted in blue is BS if you are playing with other peoples money. What I have highlighted in red is why you see situations like this and a further explanation should not be needed.

It’s both cash and finance.

I deal in land purchases though and it’s not apples to apples as far as commercial goes.

Again, appraisals are retro-grade considering they are going off past sales....if people just went off past appraisals To determine value property would never appreciate.

And I don’t play with clients money, the existing sales I mentioned were places I had listed.

Last edited by txtrophy85; 01/20/21 04:39 AM.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Poor examples of your own profession... [Re: redchevy] #8136132 01/20/21 05:24 AM
nak Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
I've had mixed results. I had an appraiser save us for getting burned some years back. We made an offer on a home based upon $X\sqft. The appraiser actually measured, instead of just accepting the tax office and prior sale information. He found the house was 300 sqft less than what the builder had claimed it was 5 years earlier, when the original buyer purchase it.

I also has a purchase fall through because three of the four comps the appraiser used were distressed (trashed) foreclosures. The buyer rightfully would not lower his price and we did not have enough down payment to make up the gap between appraisal and sale price.

I'm about to put a piece of property in Anderson County on the market and we will likely tell the realtor to only bring cash buyers, because he thinks the chances of a good appraisal will be almost zero.
...there has not been similar acreage with Trinity River frontage change hands anywhere near us since we bought this 11 years ago.

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: Poor examples of your own profession... [Re: txtrophy85] #8136165 01/20/21 06:31 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

Again, appraisals are retro-grade considering they are going off past sales....if people just went off past appraisals To determine value property would never appreciate.

This is the biggest problem with appraisals....in this market a 6-8 month old comp can be 10-15% low. Also, there can be large variations in price per sq. ft. just based on features that an appraisal doesn't necessarily account for.

Re: Poor examples of your own profession... [Re: DocHorton] #8136167 01/20/21 06:57 AM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef

The biggest problems I have ever witnessed during an appraisal process have been from "Home Inspectors".

Some of these guys went from working at Wal-Mart, to becoming the determining factor in selling your house.

Nothing wrong with working at Wal-Mart, but learn your [censored] first.

Re: Poor examples of your own profession... [Re: Jgraider] #8136306 01/20/21 01:56 PM
glens Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Jgraider
Lawyers and politicians deserve all the hate sent their way. They are the poster child of "scum of the earth".

Some and I say Some, Car and Insurance salesman. chicken

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide