Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: TPWD shuts down processor [Re: unclebubba] #8128755 01/14/21 10:52 AM
T
texfork Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted by unclebubba
Anybody in northeast DFW that wants to do this, but doesn't know how. Hit me up. When you kill your deer next year, I'll come over and show you how to do it. I started out with a knife, cutting board, and hand crank grinder. You don't need to spend a ton to get started. Over the years, you can buy better equipment with the $ you save from processing yourself. All you need is the desire. I'll give you the knowledge.

That's a very nice offer . That is what I like to see , hunter's helping hunter's .

Prayer is the "ultimate" wireless connection .
Re: TPWD shuts down processor [Re: Brother Phil] #8128888 01/14/21 01:32 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Brother Phil
I don't see this as lazy vs not lazy. It is a choice. For me it is part of the hunting experience, and I enjoy doing it. In the past, I did go to a processor, and have experienced the pros/cons of doing so. My post was intended to encourage someone to try this, if it was new to them. We all have different situations and time constraints, and this is more user friendly for some than others.

Same

Re: TPWD shuts down processor [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #8128918 01/14/21 02:03 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
Amazing how folks have turned this into a “if you don’t do your own processing, you’re lazy or lacking or scared or whatever” thread. There’s reason there are game processors. It’s a convenience. Just like barbers, oil change places, yard services, garbage collectors, restaurants, and a million other things. Most people are can do all those things if they want to, they just don’t want to - for any number of reasons. Mostly that they would rather spend the time doing other things.

The real lesson here is choose your processor carefully. Just like your barber or your taxidermist or your whatever else.

To me its the fear of the unknown. I have eaten some really good things that came from processors. I have eaten some bad stuff too. I know it is a crock when they say you get your own deer back. I have personally spoken to people who owned a processing facility that lied to people day in and out even their family and people they knew saying you would get your own deer back and after they retired and sold it admitted it all went into one. I have seen the deer in the beds of truck on 80+ degree days, the ones that the hunter "backed out" and left overnight in Texas LOL barf and the gut shot and poorly gutted. I do not want any part of that.

There is currently a post about a guy who took 4 quarters off a "mature doe" in and is getting 20 lbs of meat back after adding fat jalapenos and cheese and turning it into snack sticks and summer sausage. Someone is lying there, either him or the processor. I cant tell you how many times I've heard that same story. There is not a chance in hell I would take my critters to a processor.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: TPWD shuts down processor [Re: Gringo Bling] #8129003 01/14/21 03:20 PM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Originally Posted by Gringo Bling
There's really not much more to the story from what you posted. It's a shame and I'd be pissed if any processor handled my deer meat like this processor. For the record, I'm surprised some processors let field dressed deer pile up outside their doors when temps are not nearly cold enough. A recent processor that I used did this. It was around 60 degrees and 10+ deer were piled up outside with flies hovering all over and a foul stench. Made me question how sanitary the inside of the facility was and how clean their knives and equipment were. I did get my deer back in just 3 days, so at least the turnaround was quick.

For anyone interested, here's the rest of the details on the Iowa Park processor.

Spoiled meat found at Iowa Park processor
Christopher Walker
Wichita Falls Times Record News

A Texas Game Warden seized 80 deer carcasses from an Iowa Park processor.

According to a press release:

Earlier this month the warden conducted a routine compliance inspection at Hooves and Horns Meat processing facility and found spoiled deer meat in the coolers.

During the inspection the warden discovered some of the meat had been in the building for a couple of months.

The warden and a Texas Health and Humans Services inspector inspected the carcasses and determined them unfit for human consumption.

Eighty whitetail deer, 13 lugs of trimmed venison and three 120-quart ice chests of deer quarters were disposed of. The investigation is continuing.

Had to have been one discussing site, how'd they let it get so out of hand. Noting it was a new business. So is the processor libel for the 80+ deer for want&waist to the State of Texas? If so this will be a huge fine$$$

Re: TPWD shuts down processor [Re: memarkers] #8129017 01/14/21 03:32 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I hope they get hit with the states lovely restitution penalty’s, I’m generally not for that fine unless its a straight up poacher but in this case I think it fits just fine..

Re: TPWD shuts down processor [Re: memarkers] #8129106 01/14/21 04:54 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
The article I saw was from January 2020... but they didnt open until fall 2020.

Notice: I am in no way associated with this outfit and have not used them.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: TPWD shuts down processor [Re: memarkers] #8129116 01/14/21 05:00 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Re: TPWD shuts down processor [Re: memarkers] #8129271 01/14/21 07:00 PM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Process your own,but first they need to learn how to field dress one. Some can't gut a rabbit.

Re: TPWD shuts down processor [Re: memarkers] #8129497 01/14/21 10:22 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
I do my own most of the time. But an occasional processing fee enables me to not have to drag a deer in a cooler from Texas to Kentucky (or wherever I happen to live at the time), while allowing my parents-in-law to partake of my kill in Texas. Whether you do your own or drop off at a processor has nothing to do with who you are as human or hunter. To each their own.

I bet if Chuck Adams stated he used a processor, no one would say a word.

rolleyes

[Linked Image]
Re: TPWD shuts down processor [Re: memarkers] #8129667 01/15/21 12:34 AM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
Been cutting and grinding my own game for over 30 years. Never saw any reason to pay someone to do what I can easily do myself. It isn't difficult. I have even self processed a couple of bison. I like to know how the meat was handled. Only way to do that is to cut out the middle man. This year I butchered down 4 deer. Piece of cake.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: TPWD shuts down processor [Re: stillhntr] #8129992 01/15/21 04:51 AM
H
huntingbig8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Originally Posted by stillhntr
Price paid for being a lazy hunter. If you pull the trigger be prepared to take it all the way to the table.! Be self sufficient

man, with all the dumb a$$ comments on here you're making a run at first place.

Re: TPWD shuts down processor [Re: memarkers] #8130174 01/15/21 01:38 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
[Linked Image]

Re: TPWD shuts down processor [Re: kry226] #8130210 01/15/21 02:00 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by kry226

I bet if Chuck Adams stated he used a processor, no one would say a word.

Nah, I'd still think he was kinda lazy.

Re: TPWD shuts down processor [Re: GusWayne] #8130212 01/15/21 02:01 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by procraft05
[Linked Image]

Dang, its happening all over.

Makes me think I should start processing deer next year.....

Re: TPWD shuts down processor [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #8130377 01/15/21 03:48 PM
H
hawghunter08 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy
Originally Posted by procraft05
[Linked Image]

Dang, its happening all over.

Makes me think I should start processing deer next year.....

[Linked Image]
Here is all the charges from Backyard Taxidermy and processing in Decatur

Last edited by hawghunter08; 01/15/21 03:48 PM.
Re: TPWD shuts down processor [Re: huntingbig8] #8131220 01/16/21 01:51 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by huntingbig8
Price paid for being a lazy hunter. If you pull the trigger be prepared to take it all the way to the table.! Be self sufficient

Right.

There ARE honest processors. And the one I use is only 10 minutes out of the way of my normal route to and from home. Some of us work 8 days a week, and choose to delegate out some tasks to others. I figure it is better for me to do that, and take care of my customers for my business.

Got back from a 4 day doe hunt last Thursday at 2:30 pm. Barely got the truck unloaded and went right back to work on the project I had been working on the previous Sunday. And worked until dark.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: TPWD shuts down processor [Re: memarkers] #8131305 01/16/21 03:00 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
To be clear. My comments weren't intended to talk down to or criticize anyone for using a processor, I've used a bunch.

I guess you can compare loading your own ammo vs processing your own meat. You get better results by doing either, but nothing against those who don't LOL.

Do your thing....

Re: TPWD shuts down processor [Re: memarkers] #8131538 01/16/21 01:06 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Lots of very good processors. Fortunate here as many years ago some square heads gave this 3/4 Deutsch auslander the opportunity to utilize their skills, equipment & recipe. I fully realize what goes into my body. I know how the meat is acquired, cleaned, cared for and turned into a food product.

Completing the circle takes time, is better with help, enjoyable, fulfilling and well worth the effort.

Re: TPWD shuts down processor [Re: huntingbig8] #8132723 01/17/21 07:51 PM
S
stillhntr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S

I guess I should have put it more diplomatically, I didnt think about hurt feelings so apologies to those affected. What I should have said was you spend X amount of time and money to get to the point of taking a deer. Why not take a little more time to learn to process ? Not that hard or that time consuming.

As stated. By Hudbone then you know exactly what your getting.

Last edited by stillhntr; 01/17/21 07:51 PM.

Hunt Outside Of The Box

Re: TPWD shuts down processor [Re: memarkers] #8133562 01/18/21 03:15 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
I always use a processor, I work at least 50-60 hours a week at my main job, then my side money gig on top of that.

I don’t mind paying someone to process my deer

I guess I could save money, stop being lazy and learn to be a seamstress but I’d rather just go by a new shirt when I want one....

Re: TPWD shuts down processor [Re: stillhntr] #8133652 01/18/21 04:05 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

I guess I should have put it more diplomatically, I didnt think about hurt feelings so apologies to those affected. What I should have said was you spend X amount of time and money to get to the point of taking a deer. Why not take a little more time to learn to process ? Not that hard or that time consuming.

As stated. By Hudbone then you know exactly what your getting.

I think where you missed the boat the first time and are continuing to miss the boat now is in failing to understand that not everybody wants to butcher their own deer/hog/greater kudu/whatever. You are right. We can all learn to do it. Some/most of us know how to do it. It doesn't mean we enjoy doing it or want to spend what limited recreational time we have doing it.

procraft05 indirectly brought up a salient point. For some of us, time is more valuable than money.

Why not spend the time? Don't want to. If you want to spend the time doing it, and even better, if you enjoy doing it, that is terrific - for you. No reason to harsh on people for exercising a viable option that works well for their situation.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide