Page 1 of 2 1 2
Childress area land shopping #8117997 01/06/21 08:59 PM
N
November all year Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
N
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and appreciate any advice you can give. I grew up and currently live in East Texas. I recently sold my farm in Kansas, and I am interested in buying land to hunt in Texas. I hunted a lease in the San Angelo area for about 15 years before buying my KS farm. Im curious about the deer quality and quantity in the Childress/Hall/Hardeman areas. There seem to be some good prices on land in those areas. I am looking to spend around $350k.

How are the whitetail numbers? I realize they won't be as strong as Edward's Plateau. In San Angelo we would see around 10 to 20 deer per hunt. In Kansas we would see 3 to 8 per hunt.

Are there any counties/areas that I should avoid?

Please share your thoughts and opinions.

Thank you

Re: Childress area land shopping [Re: November all year] #8119634 01/07/21 09:56 PM
T
TakeMeLord Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
do not buy land with river frontage. Every guy in Childress knows that the river is public access....

Re: Childress area land shopping [Re: November all year] #8119813 01/07/21 11:33 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Better off in San Angelo

Re: Childress area land shopping [Re: TakeMeLord] #8120145 01/08/21 02:57 AM
N
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
N
Originally Posted by TakeMeLord
do not buy land with river frontage. Every guy in Childress knows that the river is public access....

Thank you to TakeMeLord for the response. My understanding is that public access only pertains to the water. Are landowners commonly having trouble with tresspassers from the river?

Re: Childress area land shopping [Re: TakeMeLord] #8120212 01/08/21 03:25 AM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

That wouldn't stop me. How many of those guys are willing to hike in 2-3 miles each way, then hump it out on their back or in a cart if they kill one? It is public, but public foot access only from three points, the hwy 287 bridge in Vernon, the hwy 6 bridge near the state park and another bridge several miles West of hwy. 6. Land owners have almost zero issues with those that do publicly hunt the river. I've hunted the river pretty hard for the last 7 years and am aware of one issue. We have way more issues with poachers and trespassers on our lease in another part of the state. There are public hunters on the Pease, but I'd rather deal with the very few of those than all those that drive county roads and hop fences at night as they do all over the state.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Childress area land shopping [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8120229 01/08/21 03:34 AM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

That wouldn't stop me. How many of those guys are willing to hike in 2-3 miles each way, then hump it out on their back or in a cart if they kill one? It is public, but public foot access only from three points, the hwy 287 bridge in Vernon, the hwy 6 bridge near the state park and another bridge several miles West of hwy. 6. Land owners have almost zero issues with those that do publicly hunt the river. I've hunted the river pretty hard for the last 7 years and am aware of one issue. We have way more issues with poachers and trespassers on our lease in another part of the state. There are public hunters on the Pease, but I'd rather deal with the very few of those than all those that drive county roads and hop fences at night as they do all over the state.

I know little about river hunting and public access but as far as my common sense goes, I would think Smithwesson comments were likely valuable.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Childress area land shopping [Re: November all year] #8120234 01/08/21 03:37 AM
S
Slim Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I have a place south of Childress in Cottle County that I am selling. Happy to speak with you about it if you’d like.

"If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you're reading it in english, thank a Marine."

Re: Childress area land shopping [Re: November all year] #8120273 01/08/21 04:05 AM
D
Daniel Boone Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I hunt north of Chldress and every time I cross the river I see multiple pickups parked at the bridge with people either shooting, hunting or riding 4 wheelers on the river banks. I have even seen people pulling deer blinds up the river bank. Always wondered if they were poaching.

Re: Childress area land shopping [Re: Daniel Boone] #8120424 01/08/21 11:25 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Daniel Boone
I hunt north of Chldress and every time I cross the river I see multiple pickups parked at the bridge with people either shooting, hunting or riding 4 wheelers on the river banks. I have even seen people pulling deer blinds up the river bank. Always wondered if they were poaching.

The only legal use of 4 wheelers (or any other other motorized vehicle) on the Pease River is that of land owners using them for a work purpose or maintaining their own land that the river is adjacent to. Recreational use by the public of motorized vehicles on the Pease is illegal, strictly enforced and I've never seen it.

What crossing are you seeing this at? The only explanation of what you're seeing would be that of land owners on their own land. You can bet if this were the public, land owners would be seeing the same thing you are and be all over it with the support of local law enforcement.

Re: Childress area land shopping [Re: November all year] #8120553 01/08/21 01:48 PM
T
TakeMeLord Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Just go to the bridge and look at the tracks down there.

Re: Childress area land shopping [Re: November all year] #8120614 01/08/21 02:32 PM
N
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
N
Man, its very frustrating to think that fellow hunters would be so disrespectful of private property. But, I dont consider those guys hunters. They are trespassers, poachers or heathens. I've been lucky to not experience that on my private land. We had similar issues on some leases in MO a few years back. There isn't much river front property available in my price range right now. Actually I've only seen one listed on the TX side that I could afford.

Thank you all for the valuable info.

Can you share any info about the hunting? I realize folks like to keep info private about their particular spot. Please keep in mind that I am not an out of state guy who is looking to buy land near you and fill it up with lease members or over hunt it. I am simply wanting to invest in a place for my wife, my sons and myself to hunt. We are only interested in taking mature deer. But, my wife and young son lose interest pretty fast when they are not seeing many deer. Im interested in any advice you can offer. Thanks again.

Re: Childress area land shopping [Re: Slim] #8120621 01/08/21 02:36 PM
N
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
N
Pm sent. I am interested in learning more. Thank you.

Re: Childress area land shopping [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8125953 01/12/21 04:11 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H

Not foot only they drive 4 wheelers all over that river bottom.

Re: Childress area land shopping [Re: huntwest] #8126100 01/12/21 12:36 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by huntwest

Where have you seen this at, precisely? I've never seen it, it's illegal. For the last 7 years I've been on that river I haven't seen one. Research the law, it's easy to look up. I put down probably 20 miles of foot prints just this year and didn't even see a motorized track.

Re: Childress area land shopping [Re: November all year] #8126370 01/12/21 03:52 PM
I
ijohnston Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I
My In Laws have their family ranch up for sale. The property has had little to no hunting pressure for as long as I can remember. I have shot 1 deer from the property in 13 years of visiting. My father in law does not hunt so the only times I ever went out, he would just want to corn the roads and drive around. I have seen 140 class bucks on the property and even 1 that I would guesstimate to be over 160 but not within range to shoot. I am not sure how many of those are out there but they are there. There is electricity up to the property and 2 wells that are in good working order (not sure how many gallons per minute. My father in law and realtor put up 2 feeders this last year in order to add game photos to the sale site.

If I had the money I would buy it in a heartbeat. The ranch is about 10 to 15 minutes north of town off 1033. This looks to be right down your alley and in your price range.

https://www.landsoftexas.com/property/320-acres-in-Childress-County-Texas/8429229/

Re: Childress area land shopping [Re: ijohnston] #8126424 01/12/21 04:26 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by ijohnston
My In Laws have their family ranch up for sale. The property has had little to no hunting pressure for as long as I can remember. I have shot 1 deer from the property in 13 years of visiting. My father in law does not hunt so the only times I ever went out, he would just want to corn the roads and drive around. I have seen 140 class bucks on the property and even 1 that I would guesstimate to be over 160 but not within range to shoot. I am not sure how many of those are out there but they are there. There is electricity up to the property and 2 wells that are in good working order (not sure how many gallons per minute. My father in law and realtor put up 2 feeders this last year in order to add game photos to the sale site.

If I had the money I would buy it in a heartbeat. The ranch is about 10 to 15 minutes north of town off 1033. This looks to be right down your alley and in your price range.

https://www.landsoftexas.com/property/320-acres-in-Childress-County-Texas/8429229/

Nice looking place.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Childress area land shopping [Re: Mr. T.] #8127167 01/13/21 01:45 AM
W
WT_Foxtrot Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
Have a buddy who's had a place in far southern Hardeman right on the Pease for maybe a dozen years. The place is relatively small, 200 acres, maybe 250. And they've killed some absolute monsters and have never had any issues with anyone from the river.....in fact I asked him and he said he's never seen a sole or sign of one and he's not that far from the bridge.

Hardeman in general is a good county not only for deer, but many types of game. Outstanding dove hunting if you enjoy that. Childress and Hardeman are also promising, especially for big whitetail. An old work buddy has been hunting a big place in Hall and Donley Counties for years and you wouldn't believe the hardware they've put on the wall. But you're right......won't be the see a dozen or two deer every hunt at your feeder like the Edwards. However land is cheaper out that way for sure. Probably where I'll buy when I'm ready fairly soon.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Re: Childress area land shopping [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8127180 01/13/21 01:52 AM
lil_red_ryder Offline
Tracker
Tracker

Where have you seen this at, precisely? I've never seen it, it's illegal. For the last 7 years I've been on that river I haven't seen one. Research the law, it's easy to look up. I put down probably 20 miles of foot prints just this year and didn't even see a motorized track.

If it s North of Childress I believe it’s the Red River. It has public access. Nice country though.

What happens at deer camp stay's at deer camp!
Re: Childress area land shopping [Re: November all year] #8129594 01/14/21 11:37 PM
N
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
N
Thanks for thr replies guys. I appreciate all the info. I am going to look at a couple places on the OK side next week. I'd prefer to stay in TX if I can find the right place.

Keep the info rolling please!

Re: Childress area land shopping [Re: ijohnston] #8129605 01/14/21 11:41 PM
N
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
N
Originally Posted by ijohnston

Thank you sir. Pm sent. Definitely interested.

Re: Childress area land shopping [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8129760 01/15/21 01:43 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H

At the bridge at Estillene. Seen lots of 4 wheelers there during hunting season.

Re: Childress area land shopping [Re: November all year] #8129872 01/15/21 02:52 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
The Estillene Bridge is a well know access point to the river and brings a lot people to that area, then they ride up and down the river. We are far enough away that it’s not a problem.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Childress area land shopping [Re: November all year] #8130374 01/15/21 03:46 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted by November all year
Thanks for thr replies guys. I appreciate all the info. I am going to look at a couple places on the OK side next week. I'd prefer to stay in TX if I can find the right place.

Keep the info rolling please!

Oklahoma side is too restrictive. Short gun season. That country in my opinion, is not archery friendly. Long shots are common. Better ROI on Texas side also.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Childress area land shopping [Re: November all year] #8135107 01/19/21 04:58 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Huntwest, I see. I referred to the Pease. Still, I didn't know 4 wheelers were allowed on the Red. Good know, thanks.

Re: Childress area land shopping [Re: November all year] #8136343 01/20/21 02:18 PM
W
whitetailfanatic Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
Why not San Angelo or even Shackleford area

whitetail.fanatic@yahoo.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide