Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: New duck hunter? [Re: KWood_TSU] #8124877 01/11/21 05:39 PM
B
booskay Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Quail hunters do the same thing ------ they buy EVERY accessory that Cabela's sells. I refer to it as their Mardi Gras costume.

Re: New duck hunter? [Re: KWood_TSU] #8124899 01/11/21 05:52 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I use kuiu clothing for my elk hunts which consist of base camps by the truck to 10 mile pack in as light as can be hunts. Sitka/kuiu are great clothing no doubt. But I never found the need to spend money on Sitka gear for duck hunting. My main duck hunting buddy has the Sitka waders, jackets, pants for duck hunting. His waders leak right now. He will get them fixed or replaced at no charge.....but when does that happen? He now has to use leaky waders until the season ends as its too late to get them back if he sends them in now. Sitka pants, shirts, jackets etc are a much better investment for the backpack big game hunter than their waders are for duck hunters. Another fellow hunter I just started hunting with some this season also has the Sitka waders. His to also leaks, his last 2 hunts with me were in an old pair of neoprenes. But he will get a new pair when the season is over at no charge. FANTASTIC!

I hope this sheds a little light on the expensive clothing options.

Re: New duck hunter? [Re: KWood_TSU] #8124972 01/11/21 06:33 PM
D
dk2429 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Also I should add, I have the hookup to get 50% off all Sitka gear through some a now good friend/acquaintance of mine. I’m soon gonna have him get me either a Delta wading jacket or the Hudson, but to say you have to have Sitka is just ridiculous, and that’s even after I had the chance to wear a Hudson during a hunt this season. Don’t get me wrong it’s good gear, but the average hunter can be perfectly suited for stuff less than half the price of Sitka

I love my Drake jacket and its done me well thus far. I really think the folks that say Sitka and Boss is the best and everything else is garbage just have to post on the internet to convince themselves that what they have is the best to justify the outrageous costs...

Shame on those that don’t have $550 for a jacket and $30+ for a box of shells, you are a peasant and should terminate your hunting hobby immediately. Take up arts and crafts

Last edited by dk2429; 01/11/21 06:34 PM.
Re: New duck hunter? [Re: dk2429] #8125019 01/11/21 06:57 PM
S
Sinkey Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by dk2429
Also I should add, I have the hookup to get 50% off all Sitka gear through some a now good friend/acquaintance of mine. I’m soon gonna have him get me either a Delta wading jacket or the Hudson, but to say you have to have Sitka is just ridiculous, and that’s even after I had the chance to wear a Hudson during a hunt this season. Don’t get me wrong it’s good gear, but the average hunter can be perfectly suited for stuff less than half the price of Sitka

I love my Drake jacket and its done me well thus far. I really think the folks that say Sitka and Boss is the best and everything else is garbage just have to post on the internet to convince themselves that what they have is the best to justify the outrageous costs...

Shame on those that don’t have $550 for a jacket and $30+ for a box of shells, you are a peasant and should terminate your hunting hobby immediately. Take up arts and crafts

I got the Hudson last year for the same hook up. Sweet jacket, but have only wore it once. Its about the only outerwear I have. I think the thing Sitka is doing well is the layering parts. I can normally wear normal long john top with the grinder hoody and my Macks sweater, and Im good 90% of the year. Of all the crap I have over the years, I really think my Macks Sweater gets more wear than anything and it only cost like $80. And has lasted me years now!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: New duck hunter? [Re: KWood_TSU] #8125028 01/11/21 07:00 PM
S
Sinkey Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I had to do a little over-haul on gear last year. All my normal XL stuff in the Tupperware tote was a little TIGHT! roflmao

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: New duck hunter? [Re: Sinkey] #8125044 01/11/21 07:11 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Sinkey
I had to do a little over-haul on gear last year. All my normal XL stuff in the Tupperware tote was a little TIGHT! roflmao

My stuff seems to shrink up too. Weird

Re: New duck hunter? [Re: ducknbass] #8125149 01/11/21 08:21 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by ducknbass

elastic, buy clothes with elastic built in

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: New duck hunter? [Re: garrett] #8125179 01/11/21 08:35 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by garrett

elastic, buy clothes with elastic built in

It absorbs water like no other.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: New duck hunter? [Re: KWood_TSU] #8125241 01/11/21 09:16 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Does sitka have elastic?

Re: New duck hunter? [Re: ducknbass] #8125321 01/11/21 10:02 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Does sitka have elastic?

Nope roflmao

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: New duck hunter? [Re: Sinkey] #8125533 01/11/21 11:43 PM
D
dk2429 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D

I got the Hudson last year for the same hook up. Sweet jacket, but have only wore it once. Its about the only outerwear I have. I think the thing Sitka is doing well is the layering parts. I can normally wear normal long john top with the grinder hoody and my Macks sweater, and Im good 90% of the year. Of all the crap I have over the years, I really think my Macks Sweater gets more wear than anything and it only cost like $80. And has lasted me years now!
[Linked Image]

I hunted my whole first season layered up with hoodies and a camo Frogg Togg jacket i got at Goodwill for $5 and I had no issue. I love my Drake Guardian that I bought before this season. I also have no issue hitting em with my Kent Fasteel's...

Some of these guys act like if you can't afford Sitka and a Benelli or Beretta A400, then you should just find another hobby. Y'all do know there are very affordable ways to waterfowl hunt correct...? And you can have just as successful of hunts as those guys too..... My first season I shot a Winchester 1300 over 2 dozen Flambeau mallards rigged up with fishing line and bullet weights and did great! Again, I really do believe that them guys have to convice themselves the insane price of their rain pancho was justified by getting on here and telling everyone that does perfectly fine with half the cost gear that Sitka and Boss and Benelli are all apart of God's duck gear roflmao Meanwhile my hunting buddy wearing a Magellan Waterfowl jacket shooting a Mossberg 500 and Super X's does better than I do most the time!

Anyway, no sense in arguing... Not gonna get my point through anyway.. I guess I just I have different priorities. I have some Gibson guitars that could literally buy 11-12 of those Hudsons and a few Fenders that would buy 3-4 of those A400s roflmao

And guess what? I'll be the last one to say that a beginner guitar player must go buy some crazy Gibson guitar and if he doesnt, he should just find another hobby LOL. There are plenty of guitars under $1,000 that are awesome and don't break the bank. I guess I just have no need to fuel my ego on the internet and try and prove myself by letting everyone know I have the biggest baddest [censored] available

Last edited by dk2429; 01/11/21 11:49 PM.
Re: New duck hunter? [Re: dk2429] #8125788 01/12/21 02:10 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K

I haver necessarily said everything else is garbage, but boss is superior to steel, it isn't even a debate. I also believe that sitka does make the best waterfowl gear. Will drake keep you warm, absolutely, but sitka can do it with less bulk.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: New duck hunter? [Re: KWood_TSU] #8126362 01/12/21 03:45 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
There is one thing for sure about duck hunters... everybody has their way and doesn't wanna hear about changing it.

I have to admit every now and then somebody has an idea that I can't believe I've never had before. Waders get crotch leaks, just the way it goes. Hunted with a guy last week they had Frogg Togg breathable waterproof pants on under his waders. Genius!

On the bulky thing tho, I've never had it be a problem. Never had my gun get caught up or anything. In fact, it came in handy last week when I got to the hole really early, put a lantern on the boat console, and laid down to take an hour nap. The padding was real real nice.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide