Page 1 of 2 1 2
Daypack during summer axis hunt? #8123293 01/10/21 05:19 PM
S
Steve from GA Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
So I'm considering doing a summer axis hunt, and one thing I have noticed when I am watching videos of spot and stalk summer axis hunting - I never see a day pack. And really, the only reason I would take a daypack is to bring some water/camelback and perhaps a few other things, but it would be a small daypack. I'm watching these videos and thinking to myself "Do these guys ever drink water?". I'm from GA, so give it to me straight, would you TX guys ever bother with a daypack during a summer axis hunt, or do you go bareback, so to speak?

Re: Daypack during summer axis hunt? [Re: Steve from GA] #8123324 01/10/21 05:37 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Steve from GA
So I'm considering doing a summer axis hunt, and one thing I have noticed when I am watching videos of spot and stalk summer axis hunting - I never see a day pack. And really, the only reason I would take a daypack is to bring some water/camelback and perhaps a few other things, but it would be a small daypack. I'm watching these videos and thinking to myself "Do these guys ever drink water?". I'm from GA, so give it to me straight, would you TX guys ever bother with a daypack during a summer axis hunt, or do you go bareback, so to speak?

Spot & stalk hunting? Are you sure that was Texas?

The most common is an ice chest with beverages and maybe even a small AC inside the stand.

To be determined
Re: Daypack during summer axis hunt? [Re: Steve from GA] #8123337 01/10/21 05:51 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Just get a camelbak hydration pack

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Daypack during summer axis hunt? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8123355 01/10/21 06:03 PM
S
Steve from GA Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter

The most common is an ice chest with beverages and maybe even a small AC inside the stand.

Plenty of axis spot and stalk going on in Texas, best I can tell, but private land hunts. Let's put it this way - I'm coming from GA, so sitting in a stand all day isn't at the top of the menu for me.

Re: Daypack during summer axis hunt? [Re: Steve from GA] #8123357 01/10/21 06:04 PM
B
Blank Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Being from Idaho, we never glass during the season without a rifle on our shoulder, and never leave the truck on a walk without at least a small day pack. Bottles of water, snacks or some candy, red bag with little emergency stuff or first aid. I like to have it to carry my real camera, tripod for success photos, or shooting sticks. When we hunt WMA's or WIHA's where you aren't allowed to access with vehicles, our packs are large enough to hold half a boned-out deer.

That being said, all the private places we hunt in Texas are smaller ranches (300-2400 acres), are drivable everywhere with a Jeep or ATV, and you could probably crawl across them with a broken leg! Hunting is from stands or box blinds, and if you get out to wander around and spook the animals, you probably won't be invited back.

Re: Daypack during summer axis hunt? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8123407 01/10/21 06:55 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef

LOL, there's plenty spot & stalk hunting in Texas.

I've been on a spot & stalk hunt for Axis, but never got far enough away from the truck or UTV to worry about packing anything in. Would spot them from the road and then put a stalk on them. It may sound easy, but it ain't. Spooky critters that were hard to get close to.

Re: Daypack during summer axis hunt? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8123427 01/10/21 07:10 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

I spent first 7 days of Dec spotting and stalking... In TX. Wasn't much different then the last 7 days I just spent spotting and stalking in NM. Biggest difference was I had more snow in Texas.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Daypack during summer axis hunt? [Re: Steve from GA] #8123430 01/10/21 07:11 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Small Camel Back, or anything with a hydration bladder and tube. Gotta drink water even when you aren't thirsty when in the heat and you need good vision and energy.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Daypack during summer axis hunt? [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8123455 01/10/21 07:26 PM
S
Steve from GA Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Small Camel Back, or anything with a hydration bladder and tube. Gotta drink water even when you aren't thirsty when in the heat and you need good vision and energy.

I was thinking the same thing. In June temps, I feel like it makes sense to be hydrating all of the time, especially on a long stalk away from the cooler full of beverages.

Re: Daypack during summer axis hunt? [Re: Steve from GA] #8123458 01/10/21 07:28 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

I was thinking the same thing. In June temps, I feel like it makes sense to be hydrating all of the time, especially on a long stalk away from the cooler full of beverages.

Camelbak is also a very pro hunting brand. Look up their parent company.

Bring extra socks too, sweaty stocks make bad blisters. Change them out mid day.

Re: Daypack during summer axis hunt? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8123470 01/10/21 07:36 PM
S
Steve from GA Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Bring extra socks too, sweaty stocks make bad blisters. Change them out mid day.

Aha - Appreciate the tips. I'll be in snake boots, which I hope to have broken in by then, but the blisters are a real concern.

Last edited by Steve from GA; 01/10/21 07:37 PM.
Re: Daypack during summer axis hunt? [Re: Steve from GA] #8123491 01/10/21 07:51 PM
D
don k Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Most summer Axis hunts are done out of a pickup with the AC going.

Re: Daypack during summer axis hunt? [Re: Steve from GA] #8123500 01/10/21 07:57 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Drink a bunch of water when you get outa the truck, then when you get back. Some PHs in Africa hunt in tennis shoes (aka "tackies"). There's black mambas over there. All cotton, thin tshirt and shorts and...commando's a must. Shoot straight. up

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Daypack during summer axis hunt? [Re: Steve from GA] #8123506 01/10/21 08:00 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Aha - Appreciate the tips. I'll be in snake boots, which I hope to have broken in by then, but the blisters are a real concern.

If you have leather hiking boots...

Cheaper option

https://www.foreverlastonline.com/Snake-Guard-Shields_p_24.html

Re: Daypack during summer axis hunt? [Re: Steve from GA] #8123515 01/10/21 08:04 PM
S
Steve from GA Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S

I just bought some Chippewa snake boots, so I have some time to break them in, fortunately.

Re: Daypack during summer axis hunt? [Re: Steve from GA] #8123587 01/10/21 08:41 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

I just bought some Chippewa snake boots, so I have some time to break them in, fortunately.

I have those, love em'. Unbuckle them, put them on, buckle them to what you think may be too tight. Wear them all day in the house, outside, repeat. After a few days you won't have to buckle/unbuckle to get them off and they'll fit like the best pair of gloves you ever had.

Re: Daypack during summer axis hunt? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8123655 01/10/21 09:25 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Just get a camelbak hydration pack

Re: Daypack during summer axis hunt? [Re: Steve from GA] #8124033 01/11/21 01:31 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Great boot. Please post a hunt recap and I hope you have an exceptional time

Re: Daypack during summer axis hunt? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8124064 01/11/21 01:48 AM
S
Steve from GA Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S

Great boot. Please post a hunt recap and I hope you have an exceptional time

Thank you, sir. Very much appreciate how kind and helpful everyone on this forum has been to an interloper like me. Cheers.

Re: Daypack during summer axis hunt? [Re: Steve from GA] #8124098 01/11/21 02:15 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
About your pack; this year I bought a used Badlands. I added their hydration pack and used it on a whitetail hunt this year. I used it three full days. I've used camelback stuff for ever. I did like the Badlands better. It's easier to fill, the tube is easier to drink from and didn't drip when not in use. My camelback has dripped under the right circumstances like when it's getting pressure from leaning up against it or if the mouth piece is hanging loose. If you're taking in a days ration of water and any of it drips that's water you won't have to drink if you need it. The quality of Badlands is fantastic in every way. What I have isn't day pack size but the quality in a day pack would have to be equal. Your back won't sweat against it and it will fit well when adjusted.

Re: Daypack during summer axis hunt? [Re: skinnerback] #8124779 01/11/21 04:58 PM
B
Black02z28 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by skinnerback
LOL, there's plenty spot & stalk hunting in Texas.

I've been on a spot & stalk hunt for Axis, but never got far enough away from the truck or UTV to worry about packing anything in. Would spot them from the road and then put a stalk on them. It may sound easy, but it ain't. Spooky critters that were hard to get close to.

Yep, find you a large ranch with lots of elevation and it makes for a fun hunt. When you got 15-30 pairs of eyes looking around at any given moment, getting close is tricky

Re: Daypack during summer axis hunt? [Re: Steve from GA] #8125891 01/12/21 03:22 AM
Reloder28 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
My summer Axis hunts require no less than two quarts of water when I am afoot. I used a daypack. But recently traded it out for a Hill People Gear original Kit Bag. Carry my water on my belt.

[b][/b]
Re: Daypack during summer axis hunt? [Re: Reloder28] #8125926 01/12/21 03:49 AM
S
Steve from GA Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by Reloder28
My summer Axis hunts require no less than two quarts of water when I am afoot. I used a daypack. But recently traded it out for a Hill People Gear original Kit Bag. Carry my water on my belt.

What method do you use for carrying water on your belt? I’m considering just keeping a pack in the truck if I can figure out an effective way to carry water on me.

Re: Daypack during summer axis hunt? [Re: Steve from GA] #8127256 01/13/21 02:57 AM
Reloder28 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by Reloder28

What method do you use for carrying water on your belt? I’m considering just keeping a pack in the truck if I can figure out an effective way to carry water on me.

I have two Maxpedition folding water bottle carriers that are tailored for 32 oz bottles. They have belt straps and work quite well with my 2” webbing belts from Blackhawk.
https://www.maxpedition.com/collect...y-folding-dump-pouch?variant=27910305617

Last edited by Reloder28; 01/13/21 03:00 AM.

[b][/b]
Re: Daypack during summer axis hunt? [Re: Steve from GA] #8127357 01/13/21 04:40 AM
B
Brother Phil Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Why not just bring a small daypack, and a fanny pack. Then when you get here, you can see what works best. Maybe you will use both of them. I hunt from a stand, and carry a backpack with my gear. If I am scouting, I sometimes carry a bottle of water in my coat pocket. When I lived in MN, and would walk over a mile to my hunting area, I carried a daypack.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide