Page 1 of 2 1 2
Issues With Hunters #8118940 01/07/21 02:41 PM
S
Sick Train Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
I hunt on a small 40 acre tract of a larger ranch that is mostly family related. There is a easement that runs through the middle of our tract that people have to use to get to their property in the back. These last two years that I sat in the blind during hunting season I've experienced vehicles traveling up and down the easement while I was sitting in the blind. Both times they drove from their property down the easement to the main gate and opened it to allow people to leave and then drive back to their property. Both times ruined my hunt due to scaring off any deer that were out at the feeder.

The land owner is not part of the family but a hunter who leases from my uncle on the neighboring tract said he spoke with them about it already but guess they don't care because they continue to do it. Is there anything we can do? Just asking for a little consideration during hunting season, especially during the morning and afternoon hunts. Sucks sitting in your blind and only after an hour or so of the feeder going off you have someone driving making noise and ruining your hunt and time. Pretty sure there is a good chance that there is not much we can do. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Re: Issues With Hunters [Re: Sick Train] #8118973 01/07/21 03:01 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
It sounds like these aren't hunters, but residents of the other property? Why do they have to open the gate for another person, creating twice the traffic? It almost sounds like they're non-hunters and are jacking with you. If I were you I'd move your setup as far from the easement as you can (and still have deer). Then I'd work on timing/amount of feed so that the deer are hungry, aren't as easily disturbed, and are inclined to stay through the noise or come back quickly. As a last resort you could talk to them but I'm doubtful you'd make much progress. If they aren't residents, then I'd try to hunt when they aren't there.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Issues With Hunters [Re: Sick Train] #8118982 01/07/21 03:05 PM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
To me, this is no different than hunting a pasture when the lessor decides it's time to cut coastal or feed cattle. It sucks, but that is one of the downsides of leasing. I would say that a lot of animals view this as normal behavior and aren't necessarily spooked by it if it happens repeatedly with no consequence.

Re: Issues With Hunters [Re: Sick Train] #8118985 01/07/21 03:07 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
If they have an access easement and and there are no restrictions as to the time of day they can use (highly unlikely) it then a plea to them for cooperation is your best alternative. Do you know them? Are they doing this because they object to your hunting? I would attempt to have a conversation with them. Maybe they need to go to work at that time. You don't know until you ask. Do they know you are there hunting? Maybe a simple notification before you went out would be enough. Can't assume anything until you've talked to them.

Last edited by jetdad; 01/07/21 03:07 PM.
Re: Issues With Hunters [Re: Sick Train] #8118987 01/07/21 03:07 PM
S
Sewer rat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
If they have a legal easement they can use it anytime they want and there is nothing you can do. This might be one of those situations where you can catch more flies with honey. You need to friendly and ask them very nicely as a favor and explain the situation. Do you hunt on random days or just weekends? If just weekends maybe the conversation could be something like “ I know you guys have the right to use this road and I understand that but I only get to come out here and hunt on the weekends and every time when I am hunting and you drive down the road it ruins my hunt. Is there any possibility you could avoid using the road for the first and last two hours of daylight on the weekends so I can hunt?

Another possibility might be to get a road feeder and start feeding along the road with your pickup. Get the deer accustomed to pickups being a good thing and maybe them driving through won’t spook them as much. I was working on a ranch a while back where they don’t allow any hunting and I was amazed at how the deer just watched you drive by and never ran off. You could just drive within 50 yards of them and they never raised their heads.

Re: Issues With Hunters [Re: Sick Train] #8118989 01/07/21 03:11 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Since your uncle owns the back property they are hunting what can't he really influence them to respect your request unless he's not really mentioning anything to them? How well do you and uncle really get along?

Re: Issues With Hunters [Re: Sick Train] #8119000 01/07/21 03:22 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Best advice, hunt elsewhere. Nothing you can do about the easement.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Issues With Hunters [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8119006 01/07/21 03:25 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

Best answer.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Issues With Hunters [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8119016 01/07/21 03:29 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Definitely. Start looking for a new lease now.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Issues With Hunters [Re: Sick Train] #8119077 01/07/21 04:08 PM
TX_LT230FH Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Legal easement, you're hosed.
These people that are "getting to the back"- is that to another portion of the land you have 40 acres leased out of? Or are they on a separate tract of land?
If you're leasing 40 in the middle of what amounts to a larger "mostly family" tract, I'll guarantee you they will not do anything differently to help you out. In fact, they're probably viewing you as a problem.

[Linked Image]
Re: Issues With Hunters [Re: Sick Train] #8119118 01/07/21 04:33 PM
S
Sick Train Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Thanks for the replies. They are hunters, the times I've seen them driving they were driving a UTV with a hitch hoist for hanging game. They will have a truck or two following behind them. They are not the hunters who lease from my uncle, they are on their own property behind him. Only way yo get there is through the easement and it's a legal easement. I try to hunt during the weekdays rather than weekends but it's 2 hours away so only get to go a few times during season. It doesn't cost me anything to hunt there since it's our family place so really don't have any motivation to find a lease. My other family hunts out there on their part of the ranch and are all very considerate of others who may be hunting.

An idea I had was to make a couple of signs and post them at the entrances of our property when hunting asking politely not to drive through while hunting or something to that effect. Not sure if it would help though.

Last edited by Sick Train; 01/07/21 04:35 PM.
Re: Issues With Hunters [Re: Sick Train] #8119131 01/07/21 04:40 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
We've had a similar experience but it seemed to me the deer got used to the traffic as long as there wasn't a lot of hunting pressure. My son got a nice buck 10 minutes after the neighbor got through cutting tree down, loading his truck and drove down the easement.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Issues With Hunters [Re: Sick Train] #8119162 01/07/21 04:59 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Are you hunting a blind/feeder in the road they are driving on? Are you parking where they can see your vehicle?

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Issues With Hunters [Re: Sick Train] #8119166 01/07/21 05:04 PM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
My thoughts would be, are you able to harvest deer each year? You say you are not motivated to look for a new lease so I am assuming that this is just an annoyance more than anything else? Seems you just need to create the most positive situation you can to cover what it is you are desiring. If you are taking deer, well that is a goal. If goal is solitude, we’ll change stand placement as best you can. If goal is to continue to hunt this place, then accept the flaws and be grateful. Promise you many on here would deal with this situation to be able to hunt regularly.

Proverbs 2
Re: Issues With Hunters [Re: stxranchman] #8119171 01/07/21 05:07 PM
S
Sick Train Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by stxranchman
Are you hunting a blind/feeder in the road they are driving on? Are you parking where they can see your vehicle?

Not hunting in a blind on the road and feeder not on the road. But you can see the blind and feeder when driving on the easement. I do park my truck off the easement in a spot where they can see it, they drive right by it.

Re: Issues With Hunters [Re: Sick Train] #8119181 01/07/21 05:13 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Sick Train
An idea I had was to make a couple of signs and post them at the entrances of our property when hunting asking politely not to drive through while hunting or something to that effect. Not sure if it would help though.

So you will make a little sign to ask people not to access land to which they have every legal right to access? Why in the world would you think that would make one iota of difference? If you drove up to the access for your property one day and saw such a sign from some interloper, would you think, "I need to come back some other day when he may not be there." or would you think, "Screw that, I have work/hunting to do."

I am pretty sure we all know what the answer is and it isn't that you are going to turn around and drive back home and try another day.

They leased that property for hunting. They are hunters. They are not going to curtail their hunting activities because of a sign. They have EVERY RIGHT to use that road and to go hunt. After all, what good is a hunting lease if you can't get access to it, right?

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 01/07/21 05:16 PM.

Re: Issues With Hunters [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8119220 01/07/21 05:36 PM
S
Sick Train Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S

So you will make a little sign to ask people not to access land to which they have every legal right to access? Why in the world would you think that would make one iota of difference? If you drove up to the access for your property one day and saw such a sign from some interloper, would you think, "I need to come back some other day when he may not be there." or would you think, "Screw that, I have work/hunting to do."

I am pretty sure we all know what the answer is and it isn't that you are going to turn around and drive back home and try another day.

They leased that property for hunting. They are hunters. They are not going to curtail their hunting activities because of a sign. They have EVERY RIGHT to use that road and to go hunt. After all, what good is a hunting lease if you can't get access to it, right?

The times they drove through was only to unlock the main gate so that some people could leave. I guess I fill like a little common curiosity and have your people wait a little while rather than driving through during peak hours in the morning and afternoon. Like I said, not sure if it would help. Either way I'm grateful for having a place to hunt that doesn't cost me anything and will continue to hunt there. Was just wondering if there are any options to help the situation and from what I have gathered there isn't anything I can do.

Re: Issues With Hunters [Re: Sick Train] #8119233 01/07/21 05:46 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
The times they drove through was only to unlock the main gate so that some people could leave. I guess I fill like a little common curiosity and have your people wait a little while rather than driving through during peak hours in the morning and afternoon. Like I said, not sure if it would help. Either way I'm grateful for having a place to hunt that doesn't cost me anything and will continue to hunt there. Was just wondering if there are any options to help the situation and from what I have gathered there isn't anything I can do.

We all could benefit from a little sanity check from time-to-time to remind us that to most folks, deer are nothing more than goats at best or a nuisance at worst.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 01/07/21 05:55 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Issues With Hunters [Re: Sick Train] #8119383 01/07/21 07:12 PM
S
SB9969 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
If its only happened two times, you said both times so I am just assuming two times, it could just be a random event and just bad luck. Id talk to them and see what they say. Like everyone else said not anything you can do about it. Mostly I think the deer just wont care if they are used to it and its just a car moving through and not stopping. The deer on our place may run off but usually come back. I do understand its frustrating when you may not get to hunt alot. I think communication between you and them would help the most.

Re: Issues With Hunters [Re: Sick Train] #8119458 01/07/21 07:58 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I think that the best he can hope for is NOT that the neighbors will bend to his wishes, but that he needs to schedule around their travels. If he can find out when they won't be there, he can hunt on those days and not be bothered by them. If he hunts on those days, then he won't be asking them to change their behaviors either.

Re: Issues With Hunters [Re: Sick Train] #8119469 01/07/21 08:05 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Comments I've read and agree with are:

- Nicely, ask the folks doing the driving if you can contact them and let them know when you plan to be out and if they "could try" and limit back and forth before 9AM or after 3PM. They may try and accommodate you, particularly given it doesn't sound like you're out that often.
- I would corn the road now and again. You hear lots of folks comment that doing road feeding, hearing a vehicle, is as good as ringing a dinner bell for the deer.

Maybe look to reposition a bit, how you have things setup.

Good luck!
Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Issues With Hunters [Re: CharlieCTx] #8119480 01/07/21 08:13 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
Comments I've read and agree with are:

- Nicely, ask the folks doing the driving if you can contact them and let them know when you plan to be out and if they "could try" and limit back and forth before 9AM or after 3PM. They may try and accommodate you, particularly given it doesn't sound like you're out that often.
- I would corn the road now and again. You hear lots of folks comment that doing road feeding, hearing a vehicle, is as good as ringing a dinner bell for the deer.

Maybe look to reposition a bit, how you have things setup.

Good luck!
Charlie

Yep. Corn the road when you drive by. This is just a few minutes after driving by and and corning the road. The road next to it is the the road the oil field guys and border patrol use. Sometimes the deer hear the buggy and stand in the road and run off. I can drop someone off in the stand and corn the opposite direction and the deer are back out in the road before I'm gone.

[Linked Image]

Re: Issues With Hunters [Re: Sick Train] #8119493 01/07/21 08:26 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
The buggy is parked under the stand in this picture and there are dead pigs in the road.

[Linked Image]

Re: Issues With Hunters [Re: Sick Train] #8119513 01/07/21 08:37 PM
A
angus1956 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Hunt during the week and move/hide your truck so they don't know your there.

Re: Issues With Hunters [Re: Sick Train] #8119526 01/07/21 08:42 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Trade parcels

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide