Print Thread
Javelina in dry streams/arroyos in far west Texas #8113132 01/03/21 05:50 AM
C
Chris Sand Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Does anyone know if it would be viable hunting strategy to hike up a dry arroyo or stream bed, bait it with corn, and hunt over it for javelina? There are many visible from the road driving into El Paso and since private property abounds, this may be a way to get some access.
I specifically mean would it be legal in terms of not hunting on someone's property, since dry stream beds are not able to be owned in Texas, and would it be something I could have a shot at getting some meat?
Or is this unrealistic? If it matters I had been thinking of accessing the arroyos from the road side, such as those on the north side of i10 in hudspeth County approaching el paso county.

Re: Javelina in dry streams/arroyos in far west Texas [Re: Chris Sand] #8113137 01/03/21 05:59 AM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
My understanding it has to be a navigable waterway, I don’t think a dry creek bed falls into that but I’m in for more knowledgeable answers.

Re: Javelina in dry streams/arroyos in far west Texas [Re: Chris Sand] #8113176 01/03/21 12:01 PM
BbarVRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by Chris Sand
Does anyone know if it would be viable hunting strategy to hike up a dry arroyo or stream bed, bait it with corn, and hunt over it for javelina? There are many visible from the road driving into El Paso and since private property abounds, this may be a way to get some access.
I specifically mean would it be legal in terms of not hunting on someone's property, since dry stream beds are not able to be owned in Texas, and would it be something I could have a shot at getting some meat?
Or is this unrealistic? If it matters I had been thinking of accessing the arroyos from the road side, such as those on the north side of i10 in hudspeth County approaching el paso county.

As far as I know, the only navigable waterway in Hudspeth County is the Rio Grande river.

I'd call the local game warden there before venturing off of IH 10 with a bucket of corn and a rifle up a dry stream bed. wink

Game warden contact... Hudspeth Co. AGUILAR, RUBEN 432-207-0026

Re: Javelina in dry streams/arroyos in far west Texas [Re: Chris Sand] #8113221 01/03/21 01:43 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Chris Sand

We own every dry stream bed that crosses the place, not sure where you're getting your information. If you don't own it don't be caught on it!

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Javelina in dry streams/arroyos in far west Texas [Re: BbarVRanch] #8113675 01/03/21 07:33 PM
C
Chris Sand Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
My understanding it has to be a navigable waterway, I don’t think a dry creek bed falls into that but I’m in for more knowledgeable answers.

That sounds about right. I saw these stream beds have no fence on them and fence on either side and must've mixed the ideas in my head.

Originally Posted by BbarVRanch

As far as I know, the only navigable waterway in Hudspeth County is the Rio Grande river.

I'd call the local game warden there before venturing off of IH 10 with a bucket of corn and a rifle up a dry stream bed. wink

Game warden contact... Hudspeth Co. AGUILAR, RUBEN 432-207-0026

Preesh the reference!

Re: Javelina in dry streams/arroyos in far west Texas [Re: Ol Thumper] #8116471 01/05/21 08:18 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Javelina in dry streams/arroyos in far west Texas [Re: Chris Sand] #8116549 01/05/21 09:14 PM
S
Sewer rat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
The navigable waterway part is the key. Either way I think hunting through someone else's property is a pretty douchey move even if it were legal via the water way thing. We looked at buying a ranch that bordered a highway and had a navigable river through it and declined just for that reason. There was no discount to the landowner for the waterway. Last thing I wanted was to pay big bucks for a place and have some jackleg hiking down the river.

Re: Javelina in dry streams/arroyos in far west Texas [Re: Chris Sand] #8116810 01/06/21 12:38 AM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
When I was a teenager I talked with a Game Warden who said we could hunt ducks from a boat in the middle of a river, but if the duck landed on the bank it would be out of bounds.
There were other, additional considerations, but that was the gist of it.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Javelina in dry streams/arroyos in far west Texas [Re: der Teufel] #8116840 01/06/21 01:00 AM
C
Chris Sand Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Originally Posted by der Teufel
When I was a teenager I talked with a Game Warden who said we could hunt ducks from a boat in the middle of a river, but if the duck landed on the bank it would be out of bounds.
There were other, additional considerations, but that was the gist of it.

That's what I would have imagined is the case if this navigable river thing had applied here, that you are strictly confined to get in and out without crossing into either side property line. Some might look down on hunting that way, but when the laws are what restrict our ability to hunt for subsistence so much to begin with, if a legal opportunity presents itself, i will take it to feed my family.

The duck hunting actually sounds similar to how most folks hunt down near laguna atascosa, which is you can hunt the water around but not the land in the refuge. At least that's what I understand, I don't have a boat to have ever tried

Re: Javelina in dry streams/arroyos in far west Texas [Re: Chris Sand] #8117159 01/06/21 04:57 AM
D
DonPablo Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Chris, my brother runs javelina hunts not too far from El Paso. I'll pm you his info.

Re: Javelina in dry streams/arroyos in far west Texas [Re: Chris Sand] #8117300 01/06/21 01:30 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
I don’t think that’s legal, at all

Re: Javelina in dry streams/arroyos in far west Texas [Re: GusWayne] #8118303 01/07/21 12:55 AM
C
Chris Sand Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Originally Posted by procraft05
I don’t think that’s legal, at all

Yes, thanks. That seems to be the consensus.

Re: Javelina in dry streams/arroyos in far west Texas [Re: DonPablo] #8118305 01/07/21 12:56 AM
C
Chris Sand Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Hey, appreciate that!
Originally Posted by DonPablo
Chris, my brother runs javelina hunts not too far from El Paso. I'll pm you his info.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide