Page 1 of 2 1 2
Building a high fence #8113925 01/03/21 11:54 PM
K
KennyLee Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
K
As the old saying goes, bad neighbors make for high fences.

I’m finally at that point on my place. As neighbors sub divide and sell off, we have no plans to do that for at least another generation. All the guys buying less than 5 acres and lining my fence with feeders have pushed me over the edge. It’s made parts of my property unsafe as I feel like I’m on the firing line.

A couple of questions for folks that have done this:

Do I need a permit? Wouldn’t think so and not even sure who to ask at the county.
How expensive would it be to make it hard to see through? I’ve got houses going up right on the property line.
Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Probably won’t do it for a year or two, but going to start planning now.

Last edited by KennyLee; 01/03/21 11:55 PM.
Re: Building a high fence [Re: KennyLee] #8113935 01/04/21 12:03 AM
BbarVRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Get multiple bids from fence builders.

no permit required that I'm aware of.

It might be pretty expensive to make it a privacy fence.

I could tell some pretty bad stories about multiple bad neighbors. Our home ranch has 13 adjoining properties.... argue

Re: Building a high fence [Re: KennyLee] #8113940 01/04/21 12:05 AM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
Man I hate that for y’all . I dream of owning my own land someday and then I hear stories like this

Re: Building a high fence [Re: KennyLee] #8113957 01/04/21 12:17 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by KennyLee

I’m finally at that point on my place. As neighbors sub divide and sell off, we have no plans to do that for at least another generation. All the guys buying less than 5 acres and lining my fence with feeders have pushed me over the edge. It’s made parts of my property unsafe as I feel like I’m on the firing line.

Do I need a permit? Wouldn’t think so and not even sure who to ask at the county.
How expensive would it be to make it hard to see through? I’ve got houses going up right on the property line.

Kenny, how big a place are you fencing? 20 years ago was about 10-12k per linear mile, would think it's at least 18-22k by now...

Re: Building a high fence [Re: DQ Kid] #8113972 01/04/21 12:32 AM
K
KennyLee Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted by DQ Kid

Kenny, how big a place are you fencing? 20 years ago was about 10-12k per linear mile, would think it's at least 18-22k by now...

At least 450 acres but hoping to expand a bit. Frankly, I think 450 is too small to high fence but there’s enough terrain change to keep it interesting.

If I wasn’t so attached to the land I’d just sell and go buy something bigger, further from the metroplex, but we’ve owned it for 150 years and that means a lot to me.

The small property problems are all next to eachother. I may just fence that side to start.

One big appeal to high fencing the whole thing would be the possibility of exterminating all the pigs. We’ve had pigs for decades, but they have really exploded in recent years. The increased hunting pressure from neighbors combined with competition from pigs has really hurt our deer quality.

Re: Building a high fence [Re: KennyLee] #8113978 01/04/21 12:36 AM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
If I remember correct, you don’t hunt far from where I live

Houses going up everywhere!

And more coming

Re: Building a high fence [Re: KennyLee] #8113991 01/04/21 12:45 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D

At least 450 acres but hoping to expand a bit. Frankly, I think 450 is too small to high fence but there’s enough terrain change to keep it interesting.

If I wasn’t so attached to the land I’d just sell and go buy something bigger, further from the metroplex, but we’ve owned it for 150 years and that means a lot to me.

The small property problems are all next to eachother. I may just fence that side to start.

One big appeal to high fencing the whole thing would be the possibility of exterminating all the pigs. We’ve had pigs for decades, but they have really exploded in recent years. The increased hunting pressure from neighbors combined with competition from pigs has really hurt our deer quality.

Makes complete sense Kenny, assuming square acreage you're looking at close to 10 linear miles to fence completely. If you did that, you're probably $200K-$225k in to fence it all, Probably, $50-$65k per side or so....Not a cheap thing but considering the situation, probably a good call..

Re: Building a high fence [Re: DQ Kid] #8114000 01/04/21 12:53 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D

Makes complete sense Kenny, assuming square acreage you're looking at close to 10 linear miles to fence completely. If you did that, you're probably $200K-$225k in to fence it all, Probably, $50-$65k per side or so....Not a cheap thing but considering the situation, probably a good call..

Missed my linear miles, it's closer to 7.2 linear miles so, you're probably looking at $150-175k to fence it all in.

Re: Building a high fence [Re: KennyLee] #8114045 01/04/21 01:23 AM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
DQ Kid and KennyLee, the permitter of 450 acres should be right at 2.81 miles of fence. One section of land (600 acres) is 1 square Mile so it would require 4 miles of fence. The cost should be around $62,000 +/- at $22K per mile depending on gates, water crossing and clearing work.

Re: Building a high fence [Re: KennyLee] #8114047 01/04/21 01:24 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
No permits needed. If you place is a rectangle then it might be 3 to 4 miles of fence at the most depending on shape. Cost is going to be varied based on soil type, cleaning the fence row, materials used, corners, water gaps, gates, etc. But I would think it would run around $4.50/ft. to start could up or down from that. I would not clear the old fence but move over about 3' or so and start the new fence. Leave the brush line and old fence as a buffer. I would be not do a privacy type fence as you are basically building a sail...that catches a lot of wind and will lay the fence over in time. I would build a 9'-10'' fence and put some barb wire on the top to make it difficult to get over it. Use 8' wire on bottom. Pipe corners and line posts. Ask the fence building company about what they would do as far as making it protective of your land. Get multiple bids on it turnkey pricing. Start with this company...they build a lot of fence all over the state... http://www.j4fs.com/about-us.html

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Building a high fence [Re: Old Rabbit] #8114055 01/04/21 01:30 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Old Rabbit
DQ Kid and KennyLee, the permitter of 450 acres should be right at 2.81 miles of fence. One section of land (600 acres) is 1 square Mile so it would require 4 miles of fence. The cost should be around $62,000 +/- at $22K per mile depending on gates, water crossing and clearing work.

Thought a section, 640 acres was a square mile, thanks for clarifying, could only find a footage conversion online and it was either wrong or my utilization wrong. I agree, 450 acres is probably only 2.75 to 3.25 linear miles so your $62k estimate sounds pretty solid...

Re: Building a high fence [Re: KennyLee] #8114086 01/04/21 01:48 AM
K
KennyLee Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
K
Good info, thanks everyone.

It’s not a rectangle at all. It was once a much larger place but my grandfather had to sell off pieces to survive back in the 30’s. Using google it’s about 4.4 miles of fence.

Been looking at land prices on Zillow and am shocked what is being asked. There’s a piece I surround on 2 sides I’ve often thought about trying to buy but if people are getting near what they’re asking that’s not close to a possibility.

Upside is I could sell a handful of acres and easily pay for the fence!

Re: Building a high fence [Re: KennyLee] #8114103 01/04/21 01:57 AM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
I’m sure you’re right on that

Sold 8 acres to a Californian recently!

You list, they’ll but it

Re: Building a high fence [Re: DQ Kid] #8114106 01/04/21 01:59 AM
F
Frio Town Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F

Thought a section, 640 acres was a square mile, thanks for clarifying, could only find a footage conversion online and it was either wrong or my utilization wrong. I agree, 450 acres is probably only 2.75 to 3.25 linear miles so your $62k estimate sounds pretty solid...

You are correct. 640 acres is 1 square mile.

"Let's Go Brandon"
Re: Building a high fence [Re: GusWayne] #8114145 01/04/21 02:29 AM
K
KennyLee Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted by procraft05
I’m sure you’re right on that

Sold 8 acres to a Californian recently!

You list, they’ll but it

10 acres with a double wide next to me started at $750k asking price, down to $550k now. If they get half that amount, you may see 45 listings of 10 acres with double-wides hit the market!

Re: Building a high fence [Re: Frio Town] #8114472 01/04/21 02:23 PM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Originally Posted by Frio Town

You are correct. 640 acres is 1 square mile.

Yep Frio Town, I fat fingered that one for sure. We used to have access to a section of land near Karnack, Texas and part of the deal was to check the fence. It was a nice long walk, as some of it had not been mowed in years. Sure do miss hunting that place.

Re: Building a high fence [Re: KennyLee] #8114479 01/04/21 02:32 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
If you have issues with bullets crossing the fence i would consider calling the sheriff or game warden and see if you can get them to give your neighbors a friendly talking too.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Building a high fence [Re: redchevy] #8114484 01/04/21 02:37 PM
K
KennyLee Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted by redchevy
If you have issues with bullets crossing the fence i would consider calling the sheriff or game warden and see if you can get them to give your neighbors a friendly talking too.

Been down that path more than once. Pretty much impossible to prove.

I’ll say, I think most of these neighbors are generally good people. Just feel like they’re using us.

Re: Building a high fence [Re: KennyLee] #8114489 01/04/21 02:39 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Very, just hope that a visit from an officer would give them a little more caution. I assume most of the bullet crossing the fence line is likely from children anyway.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Building a high fence [Re: KennyLee] #8114516 01/04/21 02:58 PM
C
copperhead Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
You'd be surprised at how many places are being sub-divided. Recently, 5 ranches have sold in and around Lampasas County, all to be sub-divided into ranchettes. The developer is some guy out of North Carolina. I really hate seeing this happen. I also was contacted by a land owner who has property in Travis County between Jonestown and Cedar Park. She was looking for someone to live on the property and help maintain it for her. She advised the big problem was the people living on her property line. They cut fences and ride ATV's on her property, poach deer, meth problems, etc. Since no one lives on her property at the moment, the house on the property is being broke into and other damages to include theft is prevalent which is the reason she wants someone there. She has a high fence too but that doesn't stop them unless you're there 24/7. She has contacted area LE but they can't be there all the time. She doesn't want to sell either as it's been in the family a long time.

Re: Building a high fence [Re: copperhead] #8114638 01/04/21 04:29 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by copperhead
You'd be surprised at how many places are being sub-divided. Recently, 5 ranches have sold in and around Lampasas County, all to be sub-divided into ranchettes. The developer is some guy out of North Carolina. I really hate seeing this happen. I also was contacted by a land owner who has property in Travis County between Jonestown and Cedar Park. She was looking for someone to live on the property and help maintain it for her. She advised the big problem was the people living on her property line. They cut fences and ride ATV's on her property, poach deer, meth problems, etc. Since no one lives on her property at the moment, the house on the property is being broke into and other damages to include theft is prevalent which is the reason she wants someone there. She has a high fence too but that doesn't stop them unless you're there 24/7. She has contacted area LE but they can't be there all the time. She doesn't want to sell either as it's been in the family a long time.

Very true. There are two places, one is 150 acres and the other 135 acres that touch me are for sale. The 150 acre place is selling in as of right now in 4 or 5 pieces and the other so far in one piece.

Re: Building a high fence [Re: KennyLee] #8114643 01/04/21 04:31 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
It happens momma and daddy buy a place have kids then die and split it. I just bought a place that was one of three siblings selling their part. If the rest of it was for sale and i could have afforded it I would have bought it too.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Building a high fence [Re: DQ Kid] #8114646 01/04/21 04:33 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

640 acres = Section or 1square mile.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Building a high fence [Re: KennyLee] #8115145 01/04/21 10:27 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
👍👍

Re: Building a high fence [Re: KennyLee] #8115296 01/04/21 11:50 PM
B
brokenpole Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Sell your place in 5 acre parcels and move; you will make a [censored] ton of money and buy a place somewhere else,sadly this what it’s coming to, good luck

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide