texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
EarthWormG, JoeyD, Bill Marshall, Nicholasbe, Sondiana
68237 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 106,439
bill oxner 81,214
stxranchman 57,305
SnakeWrangler 56,950
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,461
Gravytrain 42,072
BMD 41,172
Forum Statistics
Forums45
Topics600,143
Posts11,259,788
Members83,237
Most Online19,184
Feb 5th, 2020
Print Thread
Javelina in dry streams/arroyos in far west Texas #8113132 01/03/21 05:50 AM
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 25
C
Chris Sand Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 25
Does anyone know if it would be viable hunting strategy to hike up a dry arroyo or stream bed, bait it with corn, and hunt over it for javelina? There are many visible from the road driving into El Paso and since private property abounds, this may be a way to get some access.
I specifically mean would it be legal in terms of not hunting on someone's property, since dry stream beds are not able to be owned in Texas, and would it be something I could have a shot at getting some meat?
Or is this unrealistic? If it matters I had been thinking of accessing the arroyos from the road side, such as those on the north side of i10 in hudspeth County approaching el paso county.

Re: Javelina in dry streams/arroyos in far west Texas [Re: Chris Sand] #8113137 01/03/21 05:59 AM
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,781
Ol Thumper Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,781
My understanding it has to be a navigable waterway, I don’t think a dry creek bed falls into that but I’m in for more knowledgeable answers.

Re: Javelina in dry streams/arroyos in far west Texas [Re: Chris Sand] #8113176 01/03/21 12:01 PM
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 594
BbarVRanch Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 594
Originally Posted by Chris Sand
Does anyone know if it would be viable hunting strategy to hike up a dry arroyo or stream bed, bait it with corn, and hunt over it for javelina? There are many visible from the road driving into El Paso and since private property abounds, this may be a way to get some access.
I specifically mean would it be legal in terms of not hunting on someone's property, since dry stream beds are not able to be owned in Texas, and would it be something I could have a shot at getting some meat?
Or is this unrealistic? If it matters I had been thinking of accessing the arroyos from the road side, such as those on the north side of i10 in hudspeth County approaching el paso county.




As far as I know, the only navigable waterway in Hudspeth County is the Rio Grande river.

I'd call the local game warden there before venturing off of IH 10 with a bucket of corn and a rifle up a dry stream bed. wink

Game warden contact... Hudspeth Co. AGUILAR, RUBEN 432-207-0026

Re: Javelina in dry streams/arroyos in far west Texas [Re: Chris Sand] #8113221 01/03/21 01:43 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 29,865
HWY_MAN Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 29,865
Originally Posted by Chris Sand
Does anyone know if it would be viable hunting strategy to hike up a dry arroyo or stream bed, bait it with corn, and hunt over it for javelina? There are many visible from the road driving into El Paso and since private property abounds, this may be a way to get some access.
I specifically mean would it be legal in terms of not hunting on someone's property, since dry stream beds are not able to be owned in Texas, and would it be something I could have a shot at getting some meat?
Or is this unrealistic? If it matters I had been thinking of accessing the arroyos from the road side, such as those on the north side of i10 in hudspeth County approaching el paso county.



We own every dry stream bed that crosses the place, not sure where you're getting your information. If you don't own it don't be caught on it!


Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Javelina in dry streams/arroyos in far west Texas [Re: BbarVRanch] #8113675 01/03/21 07:33 PM
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 25
C
Chris Sand Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
My understanding it has to be a navigable waterway, I don’t think a dry creek bed falls into that but I’m in for more knowledgeable answers.

That sounds about right. I saw these stream beds have no fence on them and fence on either side and must've mixed the ideas in my head.

Originally Posted by BbarVRanch


As far as I know, the only navigable waterway in Hudspeth County is the Rio Grande river.

I'd call the local game warden there before venturing off of IH 10 with a bucket of corn and a rifle up a dry stream bed. wink

Game warden contact... Hudspeth Co. AGUILAR, RUBEN 432-207-0026



Preesh the reference!

Re: Javelina in dry streams/arroyos in far west Texas [Re: Ol Thumper] #8116471 01/05/21 08:18 PM
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,189
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,189
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
My understanding it has to be a navigable waterway, I don’t think a dry creek bed falls into that but I’m in for more knowledgeable answers.


Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Javelina in dry streams/arroyos in far west Texas [Re: Chris Sand] #8116549 01/05/21 09:14 PM
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 136
S
Sewer rat Offline
Woodsman
Offline
Woodsman
S
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 136
The navigable waterway part is the key. Either way I think hunting through someone else's property is a pretty douchey move even if it were legal via the water way thing. We looked at buying a ranch that bordered a highway and had a navigable river through it and declined just for that reason. There was no discount to the landowner for the waterway. Last thing I wanted was to pay big bucks for a place and have some jackleg hiking down the river.

Re: Javelina in dry streams/arroyos in far west Texas [Re: Chris Sand] #8116810 01/06/21 12:38 AM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,935
D
der Teufel Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
D
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,935
When I was a teenager I talked with a Game Warden who said we could hunt ducks from a boat in the middle of a river, but if the duck landed on the bank it would be out of bounds.
There were other, additional considerations, but that was the gist of it.


You can never have too much ammo � unless you're swimming.
Re: Javelina in dry streams/arroyos in far west Texas [Re: der Teufel] #8116840 01/06/21 01:00 AM
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 25
C
Chris Sand Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by der Teufel
When I was a teenager I talked with a Game Warden who said we could hunt ducks from a boat in the middle of a river, but if the duck landed on the bank it would be out of bounds.
There were other, additional considerations, but that was the gist of it.

That's what I would have imagined is the case if this navigable river thing had applied here, that you are strictly confined to get in and out without crossing into either side property line. Some might look down on hunting that way, but when the laws are what restrict our ability to hunt for subsistence so much to begin with, if a legal opportunity presents itself, i will take it to feed my family.

The duck hunting actually sounds similar to how most folks hunt down near laguna atascosa, which is you can hunt the water around but not the land in the refuge. At least that's what I understand, I don't have a boat to have ever tried

Re: Javelina in dry streams/arroyos in far west Texas [Re: Chris Sand] #8117159 01/06/21 04:57 AM
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 352
D
DonPablo Offline
Bird Dog
Offline
Bird Dog
D
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 352
Chris, my brother runs javelina hunts not too far from El Paso. I'll pm you his info.

Re: Javelina in dry streams/arroyos in far west Texas [Re: Chris Sand] #8117300 01/06/21 01:30 PM
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 7,897
P
procraft05 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 7,897
I don’t think that’s legal, at all

Re: Javelina in dry streams/arroyos in far west Texas [Re: procraft05] #8118303 01/07/21 12:55 AM
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 25
C
Chris Sand Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by procraft05
I don’t think that’s legal, at all

Yes, thanks. That seems to be the consensus.

Re: Javelina in dry streams/arroyos in far west Texas [Re: DonPablo] #8118305 01/07/21 12:56 AM
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 25
C
Chris Sand Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 25
Hey, appreciate that!
Originally Posted by DonPablo
Chris, my brother runs javelina hunts not too far from El Paso. I'll pm you his info.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3