Print Thread
Lifetime license question #8107513 12/30/20 02:44 AM
D
Dan Foley Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
I purchased a lifetime combo hunting/fishing license about 10 years ago. Every August I get my postcard reminder I can go to any license seller, show my lifetime card and pickup my paper license. However, a friend brought up an interesting question. If I’m hunting a game species that doesn’t require a physical tag or an endorsement not already included with my lifetime card, do I need to have the actual paper tag. For example, hunting quail or bass fishing. Neither requires a physical tag and all required endorsements are included with my lifetime license. So, if while out quail hunting and a game warden were check me, could I just show them my lifetime card?
Thanks
-Dan

Re: Lifetime license question [Re: Dan Foley] #8107661 12/30/20 04:13 AM
W
WRBCGuru Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
I've got a lifetime license as well. I also have the TPWD Outdoor Annual App on my iphone. You'll have proof of license anywhere u go to hunt or fish for game that does not require a tag.
You can also order your license every year from the app. Arrives in the mail 3-4 days later.

Re: Lifetime license question [Re: WRBCGuru] #8107828 12/30/20 01:03 PM
Adchunts Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by WRBCGuru

You can also order your license every year from the app. Arrives in the mail 3-4 days later.

I do not have the lifetime license, but this works for annual license as well. Very easy process.

Re: Lifetime license question [Re: Dan Foley] #8107851 12/30/20 01:33 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I didn't get in any trouble but one GW asked me a lot of questions when I didn't produce the paper part of the license. I was fishing on wildlife refuge and the Federal GW just looked at the card and said "That's cool". I was fishing on a community pond and the Texas State GW asked me a million questions. They like to see if there are tags missing and if you have logged the deer taken. if you're fishing the salt you'll need the red drum tag if you intend to keep an oversized one. Come to think of it that's the only time I didn't have the paper part with me. Now I just carry the paper part and have never been asked for the card. We see the GW every year while dove hunting in south Texas.

Lifetime License (Paper License)
In connection with the issuance of a permanent plastic lifetime card, paper licenses/tags are usually issued.
Lifetime License holders that hunt and/or fish species that require tags, such as, deer, turkey, red drum over
28 inches, will need to have their current paper license tags issued each year. Migratory game bird hunters
will need to be HIP (Harvest Information Program) certified. After August 15, please visit any one of our
license agents located throughout the state to have your tags issued immediately. A list of agent locations
is available at http://tpwd.texas.gov/business/licenses/online_sales/find_retailer.phtml. If tags are lost,
replacement tags may be obtained for a $10.00 fee from approximately 1,800 license agent locations in Texas.

Last edited by hook_n_line; 12/30/20 01:52 PM.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Lifetime license question [Re: hook_n_line] #8108125 12/30/20 05:14 PM
D
Dan Foley Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
Hook...Yes, I’ve read this statement from the Annual. And the way I interpret it, I would not need the paper tag to hunt quail. But it’s a bit vague. About 3 years ago while quail hunting a GW checked me in the field. I showed him my lifetime card and he said this was not a license and I needed to show him my paper license, which I also had. I have since asked 3 separate GW’s and 2 said I must always have a paper license regardless of what game I may be hunting/fishing, and 1 GW couldn’t really give a definitive answer. Additionally, I asked 3 different state TPWD Biologists and none of them could answer the question. The reason I ask is quail hunting and occasionally bass fishing is the only types of activities I engage in, neither of which I think requires me have a paper copy of a license.

Re: Lifetime license question [Re: Dan Foley] #8108196 12/30/20 06:05 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I just find it easier to carry the paper copy. I didn't like the questioning and time wasted from my fishing trip. The GW asked me if I had hunted deer, turkeys or caught any red drum and I told him I had hunted deer but didn't get one. If I had said yes to any I'm sure he would have wanted to check the log and then the conversation may have gone a different direction.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Lifetime license question [Re: Dan Foley] #8108217 12/30/20 06:16 PM
P
Pope&Young Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
welcome to the forum.

If in doubt call Texas GW office in Austin.

[Linked Image]
Re: Lifetime license question [Re: Dan Foley] #8109277 12/31/20 03:58 PM
H
Hunt Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
I've had a Lifetime Combo for 29 years. I usually like to have my paper tags along with my 'Gold Card" (my plastic card looks a lot like an AMEX gold card) in my pocket.
Had to show license for GWs a few times. I just hand over both. They usually just glance at the card, hand it back and say thank you. +

Once I was bank fishing at Rayburn and got checked. Of the two Wardens the 'senior' one had only been on the job about two years and the other was a rookie. They both looked at the card and said I was the first Lifetime either of them had ever seen.

So it's always a good idea to have both.

Last edited by Hunt Dog; 12/31/20 03:58 PM.
Re: Lifetime license question [Re: Dan Foley] #8109588 12/31/20 07:31 PM
S
Sewer rat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I have just shown my card many times. I have the combo hunt and fish and only carry my paper license when I may need a tag. Never had an issue just showing the card when inspected while fishing.

Is there a way to get a new card? I have had mine over 20 years. It is pretty ragged looking and I have moved 5 times since the address printed on there. My hunter safety card I got in 1985 and it has my little kid signature on it.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide