The Father of Texas #8104755 12/27/20 06:40 PM
S
Sniper.270 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
12/27/1836: Stephen F. Austin dies
On this day in 1836, Stephen F. Austin, the founder of Anglo-American Texas, died at the age of forty-three. Austin had taken over his father's colonization scheme when Moses Austin died in 1821. He began the Anglo-American colonization of Texas under conditions more difficult in some respects than those that confronted founders of the English colonies on the Atlantic coast. He saw the wilderness transformed into a relatively advanced and populous state, and fundamentally it was his unremitting labor, perseverance, foresight, and tactful management that brought that miracle to pass. Some contemporaries criticized his cautious policy of conciliating Mexican officials, and Austin was initially a reluctant supporter of Texas independence, though he led volunteers against the Mexican army during the Texas Revolution and served as a commissioner to the United States on behalf of the provisional government. He ran unsuccessfully for president of the Republic of Texas in September 1836, but accepted the office of secretary of state from the victorious Sam Houston. Shortly before his death, Austin wrote, "The prosperity of Texas has been the object of my labors, the idol of my existence--it has assumed the character of a religion, for the guidance of my thoughts and actions, for fifteen years."

I would have loved to seen the Texas he saw and helped create.

Proverbs 2
Re: The Father of Texas [Re: Sniper.270] #8104761 12/27/20 06:45 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
43 sho is young!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: The Father of Texas [Re: Sniper.270] #8104765 12/27/20 06:50 PM
glens Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Brave men for sure. Wonder if any of you Folks "Lady Relatives" are members of "The Daughters Of The Republic" ? Those Women and their Organization are keeping the Texas memory alive.

[Linked Image]

Re: The Father of Texas [Re: Sniper.270] #8104777 12/27/20 07:08 PM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I always considered Sam Houston the Father Of Texas.

R.I.P. CPO Matt Mills-(DEVGRU)- You will NEVER be forgotten!
10-25-75 / 8-6-11 *K.I.A.*
Re: The Father of Texas [Re: Sniper.270] #8104785 12/27/20 07:13 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The wife's last boss decended from the "Original 300." God bless Texas. texas

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: The Father of Texas [Re: Creekrunner] #8104794 12/27/20 07:23 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

Good stuff there. I am a descendant of Sam Houston.

God bless Texas. texas

Re: The Father of Texas [Re: glens] #8104803 12/27/20 07:34 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by glens
Brave men for sure. Wonder if any of you Folks "Lady Relatives" are members of "The Daughters Of The Republic" ? Those Women and their Organization are keeping the Texas memory alive.

My wife and daughters are members, just not active members. My wife has about a dozen ancestors that were here during the Republic years. She has some awesome ancestry.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: The Father of Texas [Re: skinnerback] #8104808 12/27/20 07:40 PM
Greg Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by skinnerback

God bless Texas. texas

Really cool!

We have friends that head up the US Daughters of 1812 in Arkansas. (Not Texas, but still pretty cool) A few months back they gave us some stars to hand out when we saw Veterans out and about. I struck up a conversation with a nice man who served in Vietnam at the store the other day, and after we spoke for a bit, I reached in my pocket and handed one to him. His reaction was pretty moving. Thank you to all our Veterans who made America so great!
[Linked Image]

Re: The Father of Texas [Re: Greg] #8104813 12/27/20 07:48 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Greg

God bless Texas. texas

Really cool!

We have friends that head up the US Daughters of 1812 in Arkansas. (Not Texas, but still pretty cool) A few months back they gave us some stars to hand out when we saw Veterans out and about. I struck up a conversation with a nice man who served in Vietnam at the store the other day, and after we spoke for a bit, I reached in my pocket and handed one to him. His reaction was pretty moving. Thank you to all our Veterans who made America so great!
[Linked Image]

Very cool.

Re: The Father of Texas [Re: glens] #8104819 12/27/20 07:51 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by glens

[Linked Image]

Worth repeating.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: The Father of Texas [Re: Sniper.270] #8104828 12/27/20 08:01 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
🤠

Re: The Father of Texas [Re: skinnerback] #8104849 12/27/20 08:14 PM
S
Sniper.270 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S

God bless Texas. texas

Really cool!

[Linked Image]

Very cool.

It’s very cool. You can contact a VFW and they will come out and lead a flag “retirement” ceremony and take the flag. Cut off the stars and give them out. My boys used to love when we would have them come out and lead a ceremony. All schools should do this, but most don’t.

Proverbs 2
Re: The Father of Texas [Re: LFD2037] #8104851 12/27/20 08:15 PM
S
Sniper.270 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by LFD2037
I always considered Sam Houston the Father Of Texas.

Nope. Austin is the Father of Texas and Lamar is Father of Education in Texas.

Proverbs 2
Re: The Father of Texas [Re: Sniper.270] #8104936 12/27/20 10:21 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
What a great name - Mirabeau.

Re: The Father of Texas [Re: Sniper.270] #8105003 12/27/20 11:52 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
And his middle name was Bonaparte!

AND, he wrote this - 'can't get more Texican:

To a Mexican Girl
My Isabel-dear Isabell
Oh, take the flowers I send thee;
And with the gift, the donor’s prayers,
All blessings to attend thee.
With health , and wealth, and lengthened life,
And many friends around thee,
Oh, be this world a world of flowers,
Without a thorn to wound thee.

Sweet girl, these flowers are like thyself,
Thy native vales adorning,
In all the lovely lights arrayed
Iris and the morning;

But brighter far than any rose,
That blooms by Bravo’s water,
Is that which decks thy father’s hall
Don Lopez’ smiling daughter.

Too oft, alas! unfeeling man
Is viper in the roses-
And many a tear the maid may shed,
Who on his faith reposes;

But wo betide the ruthless one,
By earth and Heaven rejected,
Who woos and wins so sweet a flower,
To leave its bloom neglected!

Full soon the bright bouquet will fade,
For beauty hath a fleetness;
But when the flowers have lost their hues,
They still retain their sweetness:

So will it be dear maid, with thee,
And all the gentle-hearted-
The power to please will linger still,
When beauty hath departed.

Oh, by-and-by, when I am old,
And thou in all thy glory,
Some gayer bard will sing to thee
His love-inspiring story;

And should he be, as I have been,
Still true to love and duty,
Then be the minstrel’s high reward
The hand and heart of beauty.

–by Mirabeau B. Lamar

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: The Father of Texas [Re: Sniper.270] #8105183 12/28/20 02:55 AM
S
Sniper.270 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
Lamar and Houston hated each other. Bitterly.

Proverbs 2
Re: The Father of Texas [Re: Sniper.270] #8105205 12/28/20 03:13 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Sniper.270
Lamar and Houston hated each other. Bitterly.

My Grandmother's family apparently hated him too, was some bad blood there. We weren't allowed to talk about him when I was a boy and I don't know why. I've heard a few things, but don't know all of the details. All of those that knew the whole story (or their side) passed on when I was young and took it with them, I didn't appreciate the significance of our connection/relation until I grew up.

I have learned the hard way in life that sometimes, some things are better left alone.

Re: The Father of Texas [Re: Sniper.270] #8105262 12/28/20 04:14 AM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
He was likely a butthole who got things done. Leading that there victory at San Jacinto against overwhelming, better trained & better equipped forces helped every single one of us.

Re: The Father of Texas [Re: Hudbone] #8105300 12/28/20 04:57 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Yessr.

Re: The Father of Texas [Re: Hudbone] #8105337 12/28/20 06:26 AM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by Hudbone
He was likely a butthole who got things done. Leading that there victory at San Jacinto against overwhelming, better trained & better equipped forces helped every single one of us.

AND becoming the first President of our Republic of Texas. Twice. Also, one of 2 Texas' first senators.
Yes, Houston should be the Father of Texas.
Change my mind.

R.I.P. CPO Matt Mills-(DEVGRU)- You will NEVER be forgotten!
10-25-75 / 8-6-11 *K.I.A.*
Re: The Father of Texas [Re: skinnerback] #8106100 12/29/20 12:19 AM
Greg Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
My Grandmother's family apparently hated him too, was some bad blood there. We weren't allowed to talk about him when I was a boy and I don't know why. I've heard a few things, but don't know all of the details. All of those that knew the whole story (or their side) passed on when I was young and took it with them, I didn't appreciate the significance of our connection/relation until I grew up.

Seems we don’t appreciate our history until we get a little older. I knew my family had received land from Sam Houston, but couldn’t remember the details. Last night I asked my Mom because she wrote a book detailing our history all the way back to the 1500’s. Here is what she sent me:

When William Horn was twenty two he received a Mexican land grant consisting of 320 acres southeast of Nacogdoches, TX. Our family has a copy of the document dated April 15th, 1842 that reads in part;

"In the name of the Republic of Texas, to all whom these presents shall come. Know ye I, Sam Houston, President of the Republic of Texas aforesaid by virtue of the power vested in me by law and in accordance with the statutes of said Republic in such cases made and provided to by these presents grant to William B. Horn, his heirs or assigns, forever three hundred and twenty acres of land situated and described as follows”.

Another member of our family received over 4,000 acres just outside Corsicana. I was told the family later sold that land for .10 cents an acre.

Pretty cool that your family gave land to my family back in the 1830’s& 40’s up

Re: The Father of Texas [Re: Sniper.270] #8106229 12/29/20 02:02 AM
S
Sniper.270 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
That is cool. Any of you who have surviving parents. You should try and get them to write down their stories. I give my parents journals every year and always remind them and ask them to share their story so that some day I can read back through them and share them with grand/great grand kids or whomever. I have journals that I write in to do the same for my son. I have tried to get home to start early doing the same. I give him a journal every year on his birthday to maybe encourage him to do so. The stories we have, the experiences we have, and the willingness to share and pass those on, is our best shot at immortality. I would encourage everyone to do this. I am very fortunate, both my parents are still living, but I love the thought of reading their journals at some point after they go to be with the Lord.

Proverbs 2
Re: The Father of Texas [Re: Sniper.270] #8106326 12/29/20 03:06 AM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
đź‘Ť

Re: The Father of Texas [Re: Greg] #8106377 12/29/20 04:01 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef

Seems we don’t appreciate our history until we get a little older. I knew my family had received land from Sam Houston, but couldn’t remember the details. Last night I asked my Mom because she wrote a book detailing our history all the way back to the 1500’s. Here is what she sent me:

When William Horn was twenty two he received a Mexican land grant consisting of 320 acres southeast of Nacogdoches, TX. Our family has a copy of the document dated April 15th, 1842 that reads in part;

"In the name of the Republic of Texas, to all whom these presents shall come. Know ye I, Sam Houston, President of the Republic of Texas aforesaid by virtue of the power vested in me by law and in accordance with the statutes of said Republic in such cases made and provided to by these presents grant to William B. Horn, his heirs or assigns, forever three hundred and twenty acres of land situated and described as follows”.

Another member of our family received over 4,000 acres just outside Corsicana. I was told the family later sold that land for .10 cents an acre.

Pretty cool that your family gave land to my family back in the 1830’s& 40’s up

Pretty cool indeed Sir.

Re: The Father of Texas [Re: Sniper.270] #8106385 12/29/20 04:19 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Sniper.270
That is cool. Any of you who have surviving parents. You should try and get them to write down their stories. I give my parents journals every year and always remind them and ask them to share their story so that some day I can read back through them and share them with grand/great grand kids or whomever. I have journals that I write in to do the same for my son. I have tried to get home to start early doing the same. I give him a journal every year on his birthday to maybe encourage him to do so. The stories we have, the experiences we have, and the willingness to share and pass those on, is our best shot at immortality. I would encourage everyone to do this. I am very fortunate, both my parents are still living, but I love the thought of reading their journals at some point after they go to be with the Lord.

I agree. My Grandparents, Parents, Aunt's/Uncle's, everybody died when I was young. I can't ask anybody questions LOL.

Family historical documents and pictures were lost in a house fire when I was 9 yrs old.

My 9 yr old Son and 6 yr old daughter both have their own journals now, which are private. My youngest Son has been taught how to make a fire and sharpen a knife by himself, and he does it well. He will make a fire and sit by himself in a chair by the fire writing in his journal. I don't bother him. He's a fire bug like me, but a smart kid and a good kid. I don't know what he is writing in his private journal to be read later when I'm dead LOL.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide