Print Thread
Rattling In Bucks #8096665 12/20/20 03:57 PM
S
Sick Train Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
I’ve never attempted on trying to rattle in bucks but thinking of giving it a try in a couple of days. Have you guys had any luck rattling? I don’t know anything on how to rattle though. Can I rattle while I’m sitting in my box blind? Should I rattle prior to the feeder going off? If there are does out can I still rattle? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Rattling In Bucks [Re: Sick Train] #8096690 12/20/20 04:16 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Yes in box blind, no before feeder and possibly with does out. Guessing you're South Texas so they're rutting now, I'd let the does first try to draw them in and if don't then I'd rattle. I'd do 10+ minute intense rattling cycles, mix in grunts then pause a few minutes between cycles. I'd stop in 45 minutes and move on if not working

Re: Rattling In Bucks [Re: Sick Train] #8096704 12/20/20 04:30 PM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Works great and DQ pretty much covered it. I only rattled on two stands this past hunt and bucks came in both times. The buck I shot on my first try and then was trying to get a particular buck for a friend on the second stand... three came in but not the one we wanted as he wouldn’t leave the doe I am guessing.
Only negative is sometimes they run in and look and all you see is head and it can be hard to judge age with just a quick look. Most I have rattled in in one spot is 11 bucks and two were shooters but my hunter wasn’t quick enough on the draw.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Rattling In Bucks [Re: DStroud] #8096749 12/20/20 05:21 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by DStroud
Works great and DQ pretty much covered it. I only rattled on two stands this past hunt and bucks came in both times. The buck I shot on my first try and then was trying to get a particular buck for a friend on the second stand... three came in but not the one we wanted as he wouldn’t leave the doe I am guessing.
Only negative is sometimes they run in and look and all you see is head and it can be hard to judge age with just a quick look. Most I have rattled in in one spot is 11 bucks and two were shooters but my hunter wasn’t quick enough on the draw.

^^^All this true. Main thing for me is its tough if you care about aging and/or scoring before you shoot. Sometimes you may have time for a good look but very often you just do not have time nor the right angles etc to determine age/score. I know age/score isnt important to everyone but to some it is. DStrouds other point about having to react quickly to set up and make a good shot is often the case. You will often be close which helps but your adrenalin may be flowing like the bucks so a quick shot may not be a good one. Rattling is most often done on the ground and moving from spot to spot so a mobile rest thats quick and functional can be important.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Rattling In Bucks [Re: Sick Train] #8096865 12/20/20 07:13 PM
S
Sick Train Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Thanks. The last 3 times I was in the blind does show up shorty after the feeder goes off and stick around for a long time so not sure when or if trying to rattle would be a good time. I hand feed the senderos but this go around I’ll be using a 50lb road feeder. Never used one so going to give it a try. Do they go through 50lb bags of corn pretty quickly? Hunting in Webb county near Bruni.

Last edited by Sick Train; 12/20/20 07:14 PM.
Re: Rattling In Bucks [Re: Sick Train] #8096867 12/20/20 07:14 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I am sure there are some videos on the internet that will guide you on what to do. It will work out of blind but a blind can limit you viewing area and limit how far the sound carries. Generally bucks will try to circle you to come in down wind so try to have an opening downwind to see them. Not all bucks come in downwind especially if they are coming in hard and fast. Don't be shy with your rattling and volume...you are imitating two bucks trying to kill one another in a fight. If you ever get to watch a buck fight you will learn quickly how to rattle. Experiment with length and frequency of rattling sets. Don't just try from the blind but venture into areas you have seen buck sign or bucks traveling. Buck to doe ratio can be critical for success or failure. One day it may work then the next time you try (with same conditions) it may be a bust...some years are better than others. Bucks will come at a different pace depending on the time of the rut. Some will sneak in, others will move only when you rattle, others will run in right on top of you while others may hang up in thick cover just out of sight. Everyone has a different technique that works for them so you will just have to experiment with a lot of trial and error. For me the week prior to the rut and the week after the rut was the best. Deer can and will come in from as far as they can hear the rattling...just some take only seconds to get there while other bucks may take 30 minutes. If you get one buck in, don't stop rattling. Keep rattling so other bucks won't stall out if to watch the first buck in. I have rattled in bucks I could not see that suddenly started to fight. Adding in some grunt calls, snort wheeze or even raking brush can entice a buck held up in the thicker cover to move in. They are looking for the fight so make them think they are in the right place.
I rattle in 7 bucks later one morning when it was mid 60's for temps. One came right under the blind from downwind. I had to stand up to take this pic and only got 5 of the 7 no camera that morning.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It is a fun way to hunt and exciting as all get out. You will find that a buck will look bigger when they are charging in on you....trust me... grin. You will shoot a lesser deer than you planned on but it will make a memory that is not soon forgotten. They look bigger running away but when a mature buck is all bristled up and in your face....he looks huge.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Rattling In Bucks [Re: DStroud] #8097079 12/20/20 10:24 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by DStroud

Re: Rattling In Bucks [Re: Sick Train] #8097989 12/21/20 05:30 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I prefer rattling on the ground. That way I can break branches, kick around in leaves or grass, and make a racket. Typically trying to make as much noise as I can in addition to hitting horns.

I have a buddy that seems to rattle in a big buck every year for his daughters on opening weekend. He rattles all year and has had great results pulling in deer from long distances.

Re: Rattling In Bucks [Re: Sick Train] #8098324 12/21/20 09:32 PM
S
Sick Train Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
So if there are does out and no bucks would it be a bad idea on rattling while sitting in the blind? Should I wait till no does are in sight instead?

Re: Rattling In Bucks [Re: Sick Train] #8098369 12/21/20 09:57 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I rattle when there are no deer in sight but I like to rattle when I have seen deer still up and traveling. I have rattled deer better early in the morning. Never really tried to rattle with does in sight. If you spook those does and they run off, a buck may be on his way in and just follow them off. I would not want to chance that.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Rattling In Bucks [Re: Sick Train] #8098634 12/22/20 01:25 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Love spotting a buck and rattling him in.

Re: Rattling In Bucks [Re: Hudbone] #8098780 12/22/20 03:11 AM
H
Herron Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Love spotting a buck and rattling him in.

Same here, even if he's not a "shooter". Lots of fun messing with them and seeing how they react. and how close they'll come in.

Last night I rattled in the best I've called in so far. A nice, but slightly broken up 10 point. Normally a shooter but I saw and rattled at his granddad a few weeks ago and was probably ruined for the season. Of course, his granddad was content with his does on the wrong side of the fence and didn't pay me much attention.

I have yet to experience any negative reactions from respectable bucks. On the other hand, most of my responses are from smaller and average bucks. Of the 10 or so I've rattled in this year, 3 were potential shooters which I passed on because hopefully I'll see one of them in another year or 2.

Very little downside from my experience and I've watched them come in from several hundred yards away and.killed a few of those in years past. I also include grunts and snort wheezes and "can" calls especially if I can see their reactions. Snort wheezes, as goofy as they sound, quite often gets them coming my way when rattling and grunts only get curious glances.

If does are present I'll usually.give them some time before rattling, but I will rattle if they're antsy and looking back in the brush from where they came though I'll usually tone it down, at least initially.

Re: Rattling In Bucks [Re: Sick Train] #8098783 12/22/20 03:15 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Like Ranch said, I have also had more luck early to mid morning than later in day. A cool to colder slightly overcast to light mist even best...

Re: Rattling In Bucks [Re: Sick Train] #8100767 12/23/20 04:35 PM
S
Sick Train Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Got back from my morning hunt yesterday and I did not try rattling. Using the road feeder for the first time worked great. Had plenty of deer show up on the senderos where I fead. None went to the feeder though. Ended up taking an 8 point. Other than a spike this is my first buck I’ve taken.

Re: Rattling In Bucks [Re: Sick Train] #8101331 12/24/20 01:02 AM
D
David7912 Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
D
Land owner and I crawled up under a big cedar and he put my then teenage son in front of a small cedar about 40 yards in front of us, Land owner started rattling and the first buck charged out and came within 5 ft of my son before he jumped sideways In mid air after he realized my son was not a bush.All three of us still laugh about that.Oh he shot the second buck that came running out towards him,sure nuff good 8 pt, we still talk about that one too.Good memories

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide