Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,004
Posts9,719,339
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Out of state resident hunting in Texas - processing options? #8097067 12/20/20 10:21 PM
S
Steve from GA Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
So I live in GA and plan on hunting for an Axis deer in your proud state this summer. Originally, my plan was to drive out there, bring a couple of coolers, and drive my deer back to be processed in GA. I would have it commercially processed, rather than processing it myself. The more that I look into the patchwork of laws in various states surrounding the handling of deer, the cloudier my plan gets. I suppose one option is just to fly out to TX, have my harvest taken to a local processor after the hunt, then have it shipped back - although that sounds awfully expensive. Any advice regarding my best option for eventually ending up with commercially processed, vacuum sealed Axis deer in my GA freezer?

Re: Out of state resident hunting in Texas - processing options? [Re: Steve from GA] #8097122 12/20/20 10:54 PM
B
Brother Phil Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I think your plan is fine as is. Axis deer is not a game animal, and there are no regulations that I am aware of. Also I don't know who would ever see it, unless you showed it to them. It would not hurt to snap some pictures of it, just in case the processor thought it was a whitetail.

Re: Out of state resident hunting in Texas - processing options? [Re: Steve from GA] #8097168 12/20/20 11:14 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
It all depends on how much money you want to spend. If it was me I would get a good Axis Buck. Get it mounted here. Give the meat away and go home. But as always it is just my opinion.

Re: Out of state resident hunting in Texas - processing options? [Re: don k] #8097176 12/20/20 11:20 PM
S
Steve from GA Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by don k
It all depends on how much money you want to spend. If it was me I would get a good Axis Buck. Get it mounted here. Give the meat away and go home. But as always it is just my opinion.

Well I guess it boils down to personal preference. For me, I don't really care that much about the mount. I'll probably get a euro mount done just for the heck of it, but I'm a cook. I'm actually hunting Axis for the meat. That's my primary "trophy". I'll hunt a buck for the challenge, but the meat is what I'm particularly excited about.

Re: Out of state resident hunting in Texas - processing options? [Re: Steve from GA] #8097184 12/20/20 11:26 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Drive here to hunt, kill deer, have it caped by a taxi or someone that knows what their doing. Quarter meet and put in coolers for the trip home along with the cape. Horns put in the bed of truck and head home. My only concern is anyone in Ga being any good at mounting one.

Don’t give the meat away, it’s 1000 times better than whitetail IMO!!!

Re: Out of state resident hunting in Texas - processing options? [Re: Ol Thumper] #8097187 12/20/20 11:28 PM
S
Steve from GA Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper

My thoughts exactly. I have been dying to try Axis meat for years now. I'll leave the head for a euro mount and pack the meat in coolers for the ride home.

Re: Out of state resident hunting in Texas - processing options? [Re: Steve from GA] #8097446 12/21/20 02:21 AM
S
Stump_jumper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Steve from GA

My thoughts exactly. I have been dying to try Axis meat for years now. I'll leave the head for a euro mount and pack the meat in coolers for the ride home.

Just skin the head and take skull home with you. I do my own euro mounts but I am sure you can find someone in Ga.. to do it.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: Out of state resident hunting in Texas - processing options? [Re: Steve from GA] #8097797 12/21/20 02:58 PM
W
Wytex Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
Check with your local GW, you need to know if Georgia classifies Axis as a deer species but coming form Texas you will only be able to take boned out meat home.
Read this from your states G&F department and check on how to bring the skull, you'll have to bring it home cleaned I bet.
I would bone out the meat and fly it home in a cooler.

Hunting Out of State?
If you harvest a white-tailed deer, mule deer, elk, moose, caribou, or any other species of deer

in a state having a documented case of Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD), you may bring back only the following carcass parts:

1 – boned-out meat;

2 – processed cuts of meat;

3 – portions of meat with no part of the spinal column or head attached;

4 – hides with no heads attached;

5 – clean skull plates with antlers attached (not the entire skull);

6 – clean antlers;

7 – finished taxidermy mounts; and

8 – clean upper canine teeth (aka buglers, ivories, whistlers).

To protect Georgia’s deer herd, the importation of whole carcasses or parts not listed above is prohibited from any CWD-positive state or Canadian province. For an up-to-date list of positive states and other information about CWD, please visit https://georgiawildlife.com/cwd.

Re: Out of state resident hunting in Texas - processing options? [Re: Steve from GA] #8097823 12/21/20 03:19 PM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Kill it, bone it out put in coolers and drive home.
If you obey traffic laws and drive normal you'll make it home. Been doing it for years.

Re: Out of state resident hunting in Texas - processing options? [Re: Steve from GA] #8097845 12/21/20 03:37 PM
L
leswad Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
Axis = food

[Linked Image]

FJB
Re: Out of state resident hunting in Texas - processing options? [Re: Steve from GA] #8097942 12/21/20 04:52 PM
G
George S Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
If your outfitter has a walk-in cooler, let it hang for a day, if possible. Bone it out, bag it, and put it in a good cooler under a layer of dry ice. It should be fine for the trip.

I drove from Kerrville to Las Vegas (1600+ miles) with a frozen, processed oryx and it was just starting to thaw by the third morning. Georgia is 400 miles or so closer.

Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius
Re: Out of state resident hunting in Texas - processing options? [Re: don k] #8098120 12/21/20 07:10 PM
5Redman8 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker

This says so much about you Don

AVOID.....Luna Canyon Outdoor Adventures Chacon NM Elk Hunting. Owner James Duran

https://www.huntnorthnm.com/

PM for details
Re: Out of state resident hunting in Texas - processing options? [Re: Steve from GA] #8098134 12/21/20 07:20 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S

This is exactly what I would do. I don't think there are any states that restrict the import of boneless meat. I would make sure you have some way to prove its not a whitetail.

I think the hides are pretty, too. I would probably get one tanned here and shipped to you.

Last edited by SherpaPhil; 12/21/20 07:21 PM.
Re: Out of state resident hunting in Texas - processing options? [Re: Steve from GA] #8098228 12/21/20 08:57 PM
M
Mr. Jeem Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M

Axis is the best tasting venison I've has so far. It beats whitetail, red deer, fallow deer and elk. Keep the head and hide for proof of species.

Re: Out of state resident hunting in Texas - processing options? [Re: SherpaPhil] #8098310 12/21/20 09:28 PM
S
Steve from GA Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by SherpaPhil

This is exactly what I would do. I don't think there are any states that restrict the import of boneless meat. I would make sure you have some way to prove its not a whitetail.

I think the hides are pretty, too. I would probably get one tanned here and shipped to you.

Ah yes - forget about that. I am definitely going to leave the hide as well to be tanned.

Re: Out of state resident hunting in Texas - processing options? [Re: 5Redman8] #8098372 12/21/20 09:59 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by 5Redman8

This says so much about you Don

I am glad you agree with my opinion. Shows you are a very enlightened individual.

Re: Out of state resident hunting in Texas - processing options? [Re: Steve from GA] #8098431 12/21/20 10:58 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted by SherpaPhil

Ah yes - forget about that. I am definitely going to leave the hide as well to be tanned.

Download the Texas wildlife resource document and have some pics you can show if questioned. Bone it out and pack put it in the coolers. Leave the euro and hide for Euro and tanning then have those shipped from the Taxi you choose, or at least that is what I would do. It has been a few years but I have hauled boned out elk from Montana to Texas, an axis to Mississippi from Texas and whitetails from Mississippi in the past without issue.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Out of state resident hunting in Texas - processing options? [Re: Steve from GA] #8098486 12/21/20 11:39 PM
S
Steve from GA Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S

Thank you, sir. Appreciate your input.

Re: Out of state resident hunting in Texas - processing options? [Re: Steve from GA] #8099086 12/22/20 02:01 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

Well I guess it boils down to personal preference. For me, I don't really care that much about the mount. I'll probably get a euro mount done just for the heck of it, but I'm a cook. I'm actually hunting Axis for the meat. That's my primary "trophy". I'll hunt a buck for the challenge, but the meat is what I'm particularly excited about.

Expand your food abilities and process it yourself. Take it home packed in ice, it will go days and even a week or two like that.

In my honest opinion prepare for a letdown, treated the same I don't see the improvement from whitetail to axis. They are different and pretty and fancy so people like them, but don't think your going to be getting tender moist wagyu venison lol.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Out of state resident hunting in Texas - processing options? [Re: redchevy] #8099452 12/22/20 05:40 PM
S
Steve from GA Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by redchevy

Expand your food abilities and process it yourself. Take it home packed in ice, it will go days and even a week or two like that.

In my honest opinion prepare for a letdown, treated the same I don't see the improvement from whitetail to axis. They are different and pretty and fancy so people like them, but don't think your going to be getting tender moist wagyu venison lol.

I may process it myself - we'll see when the time comes. I'll guess I'll find out for myself regarding the taste, but the vast majority of feedback I have read leans towards Axis being significantly better than whitetail and one of the best game meats out there. I'll let my taste buds be the judge, though.

Re: Out of state resident hunting in Texas - processing options? [Re: Steve from GA] #8099465 12/22/20 05:46 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
This is why the Yeti was invented. Quarter the buck, get it on ice, and drive that good tasting meat on home.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Out of state resident hunting in Texas - processing options? [Re: Steve from GA] #8099473 12/22/20 05:51 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I’m as picky of an eater as they come and honestly don’t like venison that much due to the gamey taste unless it’s grilled blackstrap that’s been marinated. Axis on the other hand I’ll eat any day all day food I hope you post your thoughts on it when you get a chance to eat it, If it were me I’d have some blackstrap on the grill before it even cooled down good..

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide