Forums46
Topics537,012
Posts9,719,407
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: For those of you who eat wild pork... [Re: Sauerkraut] #8085223 12/11/20 04:19 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C

NCIs statement " The vinegar and spices will cover it up"

yup, it stinks and needs vinegar and spices to cover it up.

would you like to have some stinky pork with your vinegar and spices ?

Do as you please , but there's a reason why they remove testicles
from young males

I eat my wild pork with sea salt and black pepper, if it stinks ..... it's in the meat
nothing to cover or hide that aroma

Re: For those of you who eat wild pork... [Re: cabosandinh] #8089942 12/15/20 05:23 AM
GNTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by cabosandinh

Do as you please , but there's a reason why they remove testicles
from young males

We were just discussing this very thing at deer camp last week. One of our guys grew up on a farm where they raised pigs. He said cutting off the testicles will make the hog grow twice as big as it would have before castration.

Re: For those of you who eat wild pork... [Re: Sauerkraut] #8089958 12/15/20 07:41 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
confused2 Alot depends , it's like the weight thing... On WMA's dont caring a scale out ta weigh em, it's the #'s of food for grill that's important...
Usualy hunted the cooler months... Pork, even wild, faster ya get it on ice the better...
Most of the smell tis the outside, they wallow, keep, ticks, fleas, chiggers, & such off & ta keep cool.
Preperation ta skinning tis key...
On deer, hear lots people say cut away, the torsal (on hind quarter), gland... Never have, meat tast's fine...
If ya can get hog ta place ta wash off best...
Just my 2cents oh, the hogs that been in pens eaten diesel, that wouldn't interest me..
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: For those of you who eat wild pork... [Re: Sauerkraut] #8090441 12/15/20 04:56 PM
J
JTPinTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
This was a fat little 50 lb sow that ended up in the crock pot for pulled pork.

[Linked Image]

Re: For those of you who eat wild pork... [Re: skinnerback] #8090501 12/15/20 05:35 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Originally Posted by NicS
Originally Posted by redchevy
Like said above with the poling N people results in N+1 opinions we are all different.

Ive eaten big boars that were great and ive eaten little ones that were awful. I have never butchered a pregnant sow that wasn't a nice fat as can be sweet meat pig. Eaten loads of them out of traps and snares and notice no difference between them and ones shot. Like most anything i believe a lot of it is in the care and handling of the meat, but I know how to process my critters and i have undoubtedly had some rank ones come through that were not a result of my handling.

Agree with you on this. I feel like you can’t go wrong with a pregnant sow.

Pregnant sows are great! But after birth when they are nursing, often times they will get drawn down like a post rutt buck.

The one on the left and the one on the right were both prego sows. I shot them both with one bullet out of my 270. They were almost domestic hog fat and were the best eating feral hogs i have ever killed.
[Linked Image]

It's hell eatin em live
Re: For those of you who eat wild pork... [Re: Sauerkraut] #8090592 12/15/20 06:48 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
{I eat pigs of all sizes, (boars included) killed instantly with rifles, killed with arrows, shot in traps, ran down & caught with dogs and stabbed to death. A lot of folks say if the pig stinks, the meat will stink too so off to the bone pile. This is absolutely NOT true. Normally the case is, people just don't want to clean them (to each their own). If a boar stinks, don't let anything on the outside touch the inside especially your hands. (after skinning wash your hands or change gloves if you wear them, wash your knife or use a different knife before cutting meat). If the stank from the outside gets on the meat, the meat will stink. Stinky outside does NOT automatically mean stinky inside, but I get it. Folks get a whiff of that smell and their mind is made up LOL. Just like javalina. Some people do the same thing with buck deer. They just had their hands all over the tarsal glands, and now their hands are all over the meat. Anyway, when done rinse the meat well just in case.} QUOTE

Here is additional info about the smell factor. I worked for several years with a man that raised goats. If anything smells a goats DOES. Bob raised, sold & butchered goats for anyone that bought one if they ask him to. His process was to catch one, drag it to the killing shed, hang it from the hind legs alive & kicking. He then took a water hose and wet it down good, then applied some liquid soap & literally washed the goat (billy or nanny) down with a stiff floor broom, rinsed it good then cut it's throat. He NEVER IN THE 20 YEARS THAT I WORKED WITH HIM HAD ANYONE COMPLAIN ABOUT THE TASTE OR SMELL OF GOATS BOUGHT FROM HIM.

Last edited by DLALLDER; 12/15/20 06:50 PM.

Re: For those of you who eat wild pork... [Re: JTPinTX] #8090633 12/15/20 07:20 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by JTPinTX
This was a fat little 50 lb sow that ended up in the crock pot for pulled pork.

[Linked Image]

looks great

Re: For those of you who eat wild pork... [Re: Sauerkraut] #8091024 12/15/20 11:56 PM
H
Homer75 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
I was willing to try a 200# boar hog yesterday but, it kicked my but trying to get him in the back of the buggy. Next time, I have to get a winch.

Re: For those of you who eat wild pork... [Re: Homer75] #8091042 12/16/20 12:10 AM
B
bronco71 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Homer75
I was willing to try a 200# boar hog yesterday but, it kicked my but trying to get him in the back of the buggy. Next time, I have to get a winch.

Just cut out the backstraps and hindquarters!

Re: For those of you who eat wild pork... [Re: DLALLDER] #8091403 12/16/20 06:39 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
{I eat pigs of all sizes, (boars included) killed instantly with rifles, killed with arrows, shot in traps, ran down & caught with dogs and stabbed to death. A lot of folks say if the pig stinks, the meat will stink too so off to the bone pile. This is absolutely NOT true. Normally the case is, people just don't want to clean them (to each their own). If a boar stinks, don't let anything on the outside touch the inside especially your hands. (after skinning wash your hands or change gloves if you wear them, wash your knife or use a different knife before cutting meat). If the stank from the outside gets on the meat, the meat will stink. Stinky outside does NOT automatically mean stinky inside, but I get it. Folks get a whiff of that smell and their mind is made up LOL. Just like javalina. Some people do the same thing with buck deer. They just had their hands all over the tarsal glands, and now their hands are all over the meat. Anyway, when done rinse the meat well just in case.} QUOTE

Here is additional info about the smell factor. I worked for several years with a man that raised goats. If anything smells a goats DOES. Bob raised, sold & butchered goats for anyone that bought one if they ask him to. His process was to catch one, drag it to the killing shed, hang it from the hind legs alive & kicking. He then took a water hose and wet it down good, then applied some liquid soap & literally washed the goat (billy or nanny) down with a stiff floor broom, rinsed it good then cut it's throat. He NEVER IN THE 20 YEARS THAT I WORKED WITH HIM HAD ANYONE COMPLAIN ABOUT THE TASTE OR SMELL OF GOATS BOUGHT FROM HIM.

Lots of truth to this statement, I used to raise cabritos too. When I can, I wash stinky boar hogs with Dawn dish soap before I put a knife to them. If any pig (or deer) has lots flees or ticks, get them wet with the hose.....add a little Dawn and lather them up with the sprayer and your hands, and let them chill for 10-15 minutes. Then rinse them off good and get busy with the knife. Kills the bugs and helps a lot with the smell. Less stank on the outside is always a good thing.

Cutting the throat of a live animal, or stabbing them in the heart to properly bleed them out will always turn out better meat.
We use to hang goats up just like you said and cut their throats, pigs too squealing like a mofo. The blood would get captured in a bowl and the women would take it inside and make a blood gravy. I never liked it, but everyone else did.

Re: For those of you who eat wild pork... [Re: Sauerkraut] #8091644 12/16/20 02:54 PM
T
Tw0fish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
blood gravy

Lord, let me never be so destitute as to have to eat that..

Alright, so for those who hawg on public lands, do ya just bite the bullet and start cutting in on the least muddy parts you can find? Lol.

Jordan

"It may not be automatic necessity that makes all daisies alike; it may be that God makes every daisy separately, but has never got tired of making them." -- G. K. Chesterton
Re: For those of you who eat wild pork... [Re: Sauerkraut] #8091733 12/16/20 03:53 PM
E
Exiled Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
Public land presents an extra challenge, but here's some tips:

Carry a small tarp or the largest contractor grade trash bag you can find, it helps to keep the meat clean. I bring two, one to put under the hog and another one to spread next to it to put the meat on. Put them into a 2-gallon zip bag along with a couple of pairs of gloves, some folded shop towels and a bottle of water to wash your hands after. When folded, they fit nicely in your pack.
Carry one of those knives with the disposable surgical blades, or even a utility knife with fresh blades. I'm not a huge fan of these for deer (too sharp, easy to pierce through the hide) but they are CRITICAL for the tough hide on hogs. Be careful with them, it's easy to cut yourself with them.
Fold the legs under the pig so you can have it upright. Make a c-shaped cut from the back of the neck, down both sides all the way down to the corner of the hams. Peel that skin/fat back and cut the back straps out. With some practice, you can also cut the tenderloins out with the pig in that position without gutting it by reaching under the last rib towards the back. Then flip the pig around onto it's back (I've used a couple of tent pegs and paracord sections to keep it in place when hunting solo) so you can skin the shoulders and hams. If you're not going far back to the truck, you can just put the meat in the contractor bags; if it's a longer distance, bring game bags (I like the washable reusable ones).

"Who Dares, Wins"
Instagram: @HCConnected
Re: For those of you who eat wild pork... [Re: Sauerkraut] #8091796 12/16/20 04:36 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
if you hunt public land

learn to remove the hams, backstraps, tenderloins
and leaving the gut intact

a small sharp knife with good steel is all you need

Re: For those of you who eat wild pork... [Re: cabosandinh] #8091853 12/16/20 05:22 PM
D
der Teufel Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted by cabosandinh
if you hunt public land

learn to remove the hams, backstraps, tenderloins
and leaving the gut intact

a small sharp knife with good steel is all you need

Pretty much what he (and some others) said.
Here's a video showing quick and easy removal of the leg quarters and backstraps — https://youtu.be/m-BmX-3Qqa4?t=28
Here's a phot of me hauling some leg quarters & back straps out of a field. I use 4 gallon plastic bags and tie them to a cord I loop over my shoulders. My usual drill is to shoot hogs, go find 'em and make certain they're dead, then I go put my rifle and other stuff away. I grab a small back pack with my hog cleaning gear (gloves, knives, plastic bags, etc) and go back and get to work. I have an older thermal monocular which really helps in finding the hogs again in the dark. —
[Linked Image]

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: For those of you who eat wild pork... [Re: Sauerkraut] #8092203 12/16/20 09:35 PM
S
Sparta Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
S
Maybe I'm lucky but I've been hunting pigs for a long time (20+ years) and I've only had one that stunk while cooking (it happened to be a 180 ish pound boar). But, I've had larger boars that tasted/smelled just fine. I think it has more to do with what they eat, how you take care of them when field dressing/quartering and getting them cooled down.

I quite gutting them some time ago and use the method in the youtube video posted earlier.

Re: For those of you who eat wild pork... [Re: Sauerkraut] #8092761 12/17/20 11:18 AM
B
B_Man Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I always appreciate the knowledge and experience others have that are good about sharing with others like me.
I learned a lot on this thread and will definitely try to save and cut out the backstraps for sure. I enjoyed the video as well
especially the tid-bit on a sweet smelling hog versus a nasty one. thanks everyone

Re: For those of you who eat wild pork... [Re: B_Man] #8092832 12/17/20 01:20 PM
S
Sauerkraut Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by B_Man
I always appreciate the knowledge and experience others have that are good about sharing with others like me.
I learned a lot on this thread and will definitely try to save and cut out the backstraps for sure. I enjoyed the video as well
especially the tid-bit on a sweet smelling hog versus a nasty one. thanks everyone

Agreed. Lots of good advice on here.

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom." - Ecclesiastes 9:10
Re: For those of you who eat wild pork... [Re: Exiled] #8092866 12/17/20 01:42 PM
D
decook Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Exiled, you are hereby and officially requested to post the recipe. Pictures like this must be shared with a "how to..."

Originally Posted by Exiled
I don't discriminate by size, only by smell. Some of the best wild hog meals I've had came from the meat of 200+ lb. boars, I think there's a lot of myths out there about wild hogs and a lot of is (pun intended) hogwash.

Last night we had teriyaki meatballs with coconut rice and sauteed snow peas for dinner, and the meat was from a 200 lb. boar I shot in the Hill Country a few weeks ago. Meal was fantastic!

[Linked Image]

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: For those of you who eat wild pork... [Re: Sauerkraut] #8093289 12/17/20 07:02 PM
A
adobewalls Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
A
I'll throw my two cents in. I have killed pigs since the 1970's and rarely had one that did not taste right. But, I rarely let them lay, I am usually starting to field dress and quarter within about 15 minutes of shooting. My goal is to denut, bleed and cool the meat as fast as possible.

Like others I have had killed boars that were near 300#'s and meat proved excellent. I do like to target between 100# and 200# boar or sow as that is a good size that doesn't take too much work and puts plenty of meat in the freezer. However, every now an then we need to take a big boar out of circulation so we don't have small volkswagens running and rooting the cow pastures.

My latest from October.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by adobewalls; 12/17/20 07:08 PM.
Re: For those of you who eat wild pork... [Re: Sauerkraut] #8093295 12/17/20 07:10 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Those ribs look fantastic.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: For those of you who eat wild pork... [Re: Sauerkraut] #8093304 12/17/20 07:14 PM
H
HogNut Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
There is a book coming out called "the hog book" from a guy named Jesse Griffiths, he was on season 9 of Meateater. He owns a restaurant in Austin called Dai Due where he serves a lot of Nilgai, I haven't been but I hear it is fantastic. He has also started a program called the New School of Traditional Cookery where he takes hunters into the field to shoot game and teaches how to fully process and cook the animal taken. I am not certain if the book has come out but I am sure it will have a lot of good information about this topic. I follow his social media and he always posts satirically on how bad the 200+ hog he has cooked into something that looks tasty.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.” – Henry David Thoreau
Re: For those of you who eat wild pork... [Re: HogNut] #8093395 12/17/20 08:25 PM
S
Sauerkraut Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by kyle.fricke
There is a book coming out called "the hog book" from a guy named Jesse Griffiths, he was on season 9 of Meateater. He owns a restaurant in Austin called Dai Due where he serves a lot of Nilgai, I haven't been but I hear it is fantastic. He has also started a program called the New School of Traditional Cookery where he takes hunters into the field to shoot game and teaches how to fully process and cook the animal taken. I am not certain if the book has come out but I am sure it will have a lot of good information about this topic. I follow his social media and he always posts satirically on how bad the 200+ hog he has cooked into something that looks tasty.

Jesse Griffiths reppin' wild hog meat and Denton, TX! happy3

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom." - Ecclesiastes 9:10
Re: For those of you who eat wild pork... [Re: DLALLDER] #8094282 12/18/20 03:34 PM
hookem48 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted by DLALLDER

Agreed completely. We eat all pigs we shoot. We will actually "milk" a boar (with a stick) then rinse all of that funk away to avoid accidentally busting the urine sack while cleaning.

Re: For those of you who eat wild pork... [Re: Sauerkraut] #8094981 12/19/20 02:39 AM
D
Douglas Tipton Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I've not found any good videos or tutorials on the glands and where they are. Any help here?

Re: For those of you who eat wild pork... [Re: Douglas Tipton] #8095141 12/19/20 06:31 AM
GNTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by Douglas Tipton
I've not found any good videos or tutorials on the glands and where they are. Any help here?

I forget which video I watched that showed it, but on the back leg it’s pretty easy to spot. It will be just under the skin and looks like a small, dark colored bean. I took a picture of one to show one of my hunting partners what to look for.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide