I had a bunch of my old growth oak trees die and/or blow over due to the drought we are experiencing.
I had struggled with splitting them in the past but due to Black Friday sales, I finally got a log splitter big enough to handle them.
Split a few logs and realized I needed a table to hold logs so I built one.
Split a few more and dropped a chunk of firewood on the motor so I build a guard over it.
I also built a smaller table on the operators side to catch really big logs when I split them and make handling them easier.
While I have the Kubota to load really big stuff over 18" in diameter, a lot of my logs are 12"-16" so I built a simple gin pole with a 2 to 1 lever to save my back.
The gin pole clamps onto the splitter i-beam and has a boat trailer jack to help stabilize it when lifting big logs.
Little over a cord later and I'm pretty happy with the result.
I cut the trees into 8' pieces in the pasture and haul up to hay barn with tractor and forks.
I cut them to length there and roll them to the splitter which is only a few feet away.
As I split off pieces, I take the wood right from splitter and load it into converted IBC totes for easy storage, drying and transport.
These are the 275 gallon totes you can buy for $20 (they had latex paint in them) and each one holds a little over 1/3 of a cord.