Page 1 of 2 1 2
Nilgai public draw ? #7953242 08/28/20 06:44 PM
T
Team C Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
What are the odds of finding a Nilgai down south on a draw hunt and witch TPWD draw hunt is the best or most successful for Nilgai ? Laguna Atascosa NWR - Bahia Grande Unit?

Lower Rio Grande Valley NWR - East Lake ?

Lower Rio Grande Valley NWR - Teniente ?

any info would help
just curious to the success rate of these hunts ???
anyone taken one from the draw hunts ?

Re: Nilgai public draw ? [Re: Team C] #7953402 08/28/20 09:04 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
The draw odds are long on all the hunts that have Nilgai. The public hunt catalog has the success rate and the number of hunters that applied for the hunts.

Re: Nilgai public draw ? [Re: Team C] #7954738 08/30/20 02:59 AM
R
Roo Basher Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
For about $200 you can apply for every hunt in the Texas public hunt catalog. I am going to keep doing it forever as it is a cheap way to get into a lot of hunts. I apply for all doe, management, exotic, and any sex buck hunts in units that are either in West Texas, the Pandhandle or the Hill Country.

If you get drawn you'll have an opportunity to hunt public land that most never get to hunt. Very few of these hunts are actually like hunting a heavily managed game ranch, if that is what you are used to you will be disappointed.

I drew a javelina tag last year on Elephant WMA.

Would I do it again, eh.... not sure. I got screwed by the weather, it happens. Never saw a single javelina. Saw plenty of mule deer, and my compartment had about 300 beef cows in it. Did I mention I was the only non-Texan to draw the hunt?

Did I apply for other hunts this year? Yes most certainly.

Re: Nilgai public draw ? [Re: Team C] #7956336 08/31/20 02:34 PM
R
rsquared Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
i have done the archery nilgai hunt at laguna twice in the last 4 years.

it is fun but difficult experience. it can be lots of hard hiking or it can be hours of patient sitting

i saw nilgai each time and fired arrows, but did not get one either trip. they are tough critters.

i finally went down on a guided hunt with insight outdoors and got my bull and whole lot of meat for the freezer.

the draw hunts are a unique experience, and i would encourage it.
but i would also suggest you put in with multiple friends so that you all get drawn together and have some help on your hunt.

good luck

Stuff my dad said in the deer blind

"I can dive deeper and come up drier"
"did you do that?"
Re: Nilgai public draw ? [Re: Team C] #8029614 10/29/20 11:37 PM
C
Chris Sand Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
First post on a hunting forum ever here! I also drew the Nilgai bahia grande hunt this year and am stoked to get out there. I drew the firearm hunt and will be taking a maverick 88 with slugs to try to get some nilgai.

I wanted to pose the question to the forum, what can I do to increase my success chance? Me and a friend both drew so we'll both have shotguns out there, would yall recommend hiking in to the farthest away pond near sign and sitting? I figure if people can get close enough to nail them with bows, I could probably hit them with a slug, and maybe even a follow up given their reputation for not going down easy.

It's the first year Bahia Grande is open to the Nilgai hunt if I'm not mistaken, so this info might be hard to come by.

Re: Nilgai public draw ? [Re: Team C] #8030281 10/30/20 03:45 PM
B
bassmastar34 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I drew the firearms hunt last year on the lower rio grande unit and we were able to get one bull for 3 of us hunting. Best advice i can give is they are the most spooky/alert animal i have ever hunted. Use your scouting days if possible find the communal poop piles and figure out where they are living. Then set up a blind or find good brush to hide in and wait. We tried cover ground and spot and stalk and wasted most our hunt days getting busted and never getting a shot till we realized we should just sit and wait. A slug could definitely get it done but i would be double and triple sure of your shot placement the hide is thick and if you dont break the spine or hit the heart they are gone for good.pm me if you want any more info [Linked Image]

Last edited by bassmastar34; 10/30/20 03:45 PM.
Re: Nilgai public draw ? [Re: Chris Sand] #8030337 10/30/20 04:17 PM
G
George S Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted by Chris Sand
First post on a hunting forum ever here! I also drew the Nilgai bahia grande hunt this year and am stoked to get out there. I drew the firearm hunt and will be taking a maverick 88 with slugs to try to get some nilgai.

I wanted to pose the question to the forum, what can I do to increase my success chance? Me and a friend both drew so we'll both have shotguns out there, would yall recommend hiking in to the farthest away pond near sign and sitting? I figure if people can get close enough to nail them with bows, I could probably hit them with a slug, and maybe even a follow up given their reputation for not going down easy.

It's the first year Bahia Grande is open to the Nilgai hunt if I'm not mistaken, so this info might be hard to come by.

Increase your chances by using rifles.

Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius
Re: Nilgai public draw ? [Re: bassmastar34] #8030475 10/30/20 06:11 PM
C
Chris Sand Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
Originally Posted by bassmastar34
I drew the firearms hunt last year on the lower rio grande unit and we were able to get one bull for 3 of us hunting. Best advice i can give is they are the most spooky/alert animal i have ever hunted. Use your scouting days if possible find the communal poop piles and figure out where they are living. Then set up a blind or find good brush to hide in and wait. We tried cover ground and spot and stalk and wasted most our hunt days getting busted and never getting a shot till we realized we should just sit and wait. A slug could definitely get it done but i would be double and triple sure of your shot placement the hide is thick and if you dont break the spine or hit the heart they are gone for good.pm me if you want any more info [Linked Image]

Thanks that was my big concern. The grass is only so high and they're so fast I didn't know if I'd even be capable of stalking them over this area so I'll try to find a couple of good spots. I'll get on that đź’©scoutimg

Increase your chances by using rifles.[/quote]
Hunt regs for this draw are muzzleloader or shotgun slug only, and not having the money or desire for a muzzleloader, i gotta go with the slugs.

Re: Nilgai public draw ? [Re: George S] #8030478 10/30/20 06:13 PM
338ultra Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by George S
Originally Posted by Chris Sand

Increase your chances by using rifles.

BIG rifles

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr223/jaschancey/RightSide-1.jpg
See Rule 17: Sig pics to be no more than 600 pixels wide x 125 pixels tall.
Re: Nilgai public draw ? [Re: Team C] #8034546 11/02/20 09:32 PM
E
Exiled Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
It's pretty tough to hunt Nilgai with archery, especially if you've never hunted them before. I second the suggestion of using a rifle and -for a public hunt- I would try to find a transit/trail and stick to it, there's a bunch of hunters moving around and spooking the already jittery animals and there's a good chance that they'll head your way if you're further in than most people.

"Who Dares, Wins"
Instagram: @HCConnected
Re: Nilgai public draw ? [Re: Team C] #8082367 12/09/20 04:06 PM
C
Chris Sand Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
Bumping this up again (I think is the forum terminology),

So as mentioned, I drew shotgun only Nilgai and will be hunting Bahia Grande which has not been open for public draws before this year I believe.

Answering OP question,
Originally Posted by Team C
What are the odds of finding a Nilgai down south on a draw hunt and witch TPWD draw hunt is the best or most successful for Nilgai ? Laguna Atascosa NWR - Bahia Grande Unit?

Lower Rio Grande Valley NWR - East Lake ?

Lower Rio Grande Valley NWR - Teniente ?

any info would help
just curious to the success rate of these hunts ???
anyone taken one from the draw hunts ?

I've seen people at other forums (eg tx roksliders) who have had good experience in the units where rifle is allowed, and many people say the whole refuge is thick with them so it's a good possibility you'll see them regardless of where you are put in the compartments. How close they get and how far a shot you wanna take seems to be the real variable.

I really wanna hear of anyone who has gotten one with a slug though. I'd think with such a huge equivalent caliber size and weight of the slug, it wouldn't be difficult to drop them when close, but again, I've never shot at them at all.

Re: Nilgai public draw ? [Re: Team C] #8082509 12/09/20 05:36 PM
E
ErikL Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
E
as above they are extremely tough, and you will need a good neck, spine or heart shot bring them down.

Re: Nilgai public draw ? [Re: Team C] #8083082 12/10/20 12:18 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Shotgun only? Why would that hunt even be offered? It is nice, very nice, to get out there and enjoy the experience, but =a harvest with a shotgun would have to be considered a success of monumental proportions.

Re: Nilgai public draw ? [Re: Hudbone] #8083626 12/10/20 02:04 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Shotgun only? Why would that hunt even be offered? It is nice, very nice, to get out there and enjoy the experience, but =a harvest with a shotgun would have to be considered a success of monumental proportions.

Go play around with a modern scoped shotgun with a rifled barrel. It still isnt a centerfire rifle, but its plenty worthy.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Nilgai public draw ? [Re: Team C] #8083973 12/10/20 06:48 PM
Adchunts Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Scoped, rifled barrel slug gun is a very capable platform up to 150 yards or so. Very do-able.

Re: Nilgai public draw ? [Re: Team C] #8084197 12/10/20 09:28 PM
A
Ag Hunter 78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
You might try to find this slug. Looks like it would work on a nilgai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NynJOLt4eTY

Last edited by Ag Hunter 78; 12/10/20 09:28 PM.

No prayer in school....What's next, no thinking in church?
It's not just about pie in the sky when you die. It's also about steak on your plate while you wait!
Re: Nilgai public draw ? [Re: Team C] #8085647 12/11/20 09:42 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
A 12 or 20 Gauge slug will have more than enough knock down power to bring down a nilgai.

Re: Nilgai public draw ? [Re: Team C] #8086443 12/12/20 02:23 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Thinking here adequate knock down power of a slug gun just isn’t the issue.

Re: Nilgai public draw ? [Re: Chris Sand] #8088488 12/14/20 04:43 AM
B
Boomerdog89 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Me and some buddies drew out too for last hunt in feb

Re: Nilgai public draw ? [Re: Hudbone] #8089189 12/14/20 07:24 PM
C
Chris Sand Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
I don't know why they would hold this hunt specifically but I'd bet it's because it is surrounded by busy thoroughfares on the north and south of the area boundary and a whole city and high school on the right, so they don't want rifle shots possibly ricocheting onto somewhere, but idk.

This site had archery and shotgun and other sites had rifle and archery but I didn't win any of them

Re: Nilgai public draw ? [Re: Boomerdog89] #8089198 12/14/20 07:28 PM
C
Chris Sand Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
Originally Posted by Ag Hunter 78
You might try to find this slug. Looks like it would work on a nilgai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NynJOLt4eTY
https://www.outdoorlimited.com/shot...-1-oz-1600fps-segmenting-slug-10-rounds/
Nice I can't find that one but I can find these, so I may get some of the segmenting slugs.
Originally Posted by Boomerdog89
Me and some buddies drew out too for last hunt in feb

Right on, which tract or area Boomerdog89?

Re: Nilgai public draw ? [Re: Chris Sand] #8089917 12/15/20 04:38 AM
B
Boomerdog89 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Bahia grande (muzzloader/shotgun)

Re: Nilgai public draw ? [Re: Team C] #8169677 02/14/21 07:17 PM
C
Chris Sand Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
We're two weeks out, I might see you out there Boomerdog89. I know orientation is online this year with that video, but yall know if the compartments are first come first serve, or is it just one big unit, or how will it be divided up?

Re: Nilgai public draw ? [Re: Team C] #8170384 02/15/21 03:05 AM
B
BigLou Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Chris,
sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this hard freeze in south texas is likely to wreak havoc on the nilgai population. You could see a very significant die-off of the herd in the next 2 days, they are not built to withstand temps like this....fyi.

Re: Nilgai public draw ? [Re: BigLou] #8171166 02/15/21 08:21 PM
B
Boomerdog89 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Ive been kinda watching didnt look like that got much moisture and actual temps will be above freezing didnt kno if that made much difference or not?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide