Page 1 of 2 1 2
Calling Game Warden #8087580 12/13/20 02:57 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
See a lot of remarks and posts on THF about calling and consulting with TPWD game wardens for non-infraction type stuff, injured deer, deer possibly dying from natural trama, opinions on deer being legal in AR restricted counties, etc.; beyond calling in a poacher's activities or possibly inadvertently striking a deer with my car, I'm not calling the game warden for most anything else. Seems from these posts a lot of the game wardens are either too busy to respond or don't have much care or jurisdiction to really do so. Guess with 40-45 years of hunting experience and a fairly decent understanding of hunting laws and protocol, I'm not overly interested in tying up their valuable beyond absolutely necessary. I'd rather they catch and enforce true offenders than opine or answer my beckoning curiosity. What say THF on this discussion topic?

Re: Calling Game Warden [Re: DQ Kid] #8087583 12/13/20 03:00 PM
BbarVRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
They are run ragged this time of year.

I won't bother them unless it's serious.

Re: Calling Game Warden [Re: DQ Kid] #8087586 12/13/20 03:03 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
We have a great relationship with our GW and if I need any info or have questions I just email him, or her now.
Since they are the ones enforcing laws I like their take on certain instances.
Ours also has great info that can be used for gaining access.

Been thanked many times by our for calling when we see something iffy.

No reason to call and take up valuable time though unless it's necessary during the season.

Re: Calling Game Warden [Re: DQ Kid] #8087596 12/13/20 03:12 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
You can do things right or you can do the right thing. Don't ask and don't tell. No everything is black and white. These are words that will run through my head when dealing with such matters.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Calling Game Warden [Re: BbarVRanch] #8087604 12/13/20 03:16 PM
S
Slow Drifter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by BbarVRanch

Same here. I do remember back in the late 70's/early 80's, maybe into the early 90's, they'd appreciate a heads up call if you were going to be hog hunting at night. I think hog hunting at night is so common these days the "heads up" phone call is no longer a thing. Pre-cellphone days for sure. Can't remember exactly but I think we used to notify the Sheriff's office. Any reports of night-hunting would go through them, anyway. Never got checked by Warden or Sheriff.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Calling Game Warden [Re: Slow Drifter] #8087621 12/13/20 03:28 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Slow Drifter
Originally Posted by BbarVRanch

Same here. I do remember back in the late 70's/early 80's, maybe into the early 90's, they'd appreciate a heads up call if you were going to be hog hunting at night. I think hog hunting at night is so common these days the "heads up" phone call is no longer a thing. Pre-cellphone days for sure. Can't remember exactly but I think we used to notify the Sheriff's office. Any reports of night-hunting would go through them, anyway. Never got checked by Warden or Sheriff.

Yes, I remember that suggested guidance too about courtesy calls to local sheriff or game warden prior to nighttime hog hunting.

Re: Calling Game Warden [Re: DQ Kid] #8087626 12/13/20 03:32 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Called the game warden twice in my lifetime. First was some meth heads walking down the county road shooting deer, second was for a question after they changed regulations and it wasn’t clear. The warden was happy to discuss and when I thanked him for his time his exact words were “questions are free, violations are not....call anytime”. I’d think the wardens are happy to speak with hunters most of the time, especially if someone is trying to do right.

Re: Calling Game Warden [Re: DQ Kid] #8087629 12/13/20 03:36 PM
C
cos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
agreed

Re: Calling Game Warden [Re: DQ Kid] #8087689 12/13/20 04:10 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I agree with not wasting their time on frivolous things. I've seen the things some folks call LE for over the years and I have no interest in doing that to them. If I really think I need them or it's something I believe they need to know about I'll call.
Maybe if someone kills a deer I wanted to kill. roflmao

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Calling Game Warden [Re: DQ Kid] #8087883 12/13/20 07:06 PM
E
Esh and Hattie Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Have needed them 3 times, have not had a call answered or a message replied to. No sense calling anymore

Re: Calling Game Warden [Re: DQ Kid] #8088454 12/14/20 03:59 AM
Reinke Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
One of our game cameras sent a picture of a truck on the property. We went to investigate and found the truck stuck but no one was around. Called game warden and police. While waiting on them to show the neighbor called and said someone tried to steal his tractor. Game warden and police found the girl friend but not him. Had us get her unstuck and sent her on her way.

Re: Calling Game Warden [Re: DQ Kid] #8088618 12/14/20 01:34 PM
E
ErnestTBass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
I can pretty easily research anything I need without calling the game warden.

Re: Calling Game Warden [Re: DQ Kid] #8088622 12/14/20 01:43 PM
J
Joelk54 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
They are swamped this time of year so if it is not a danger to others I don't call

Re: Calling Game Warden [Re: DQ Kid] #8088823 12/14/20 03:30 PM
TXhogkilr Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Couple years ago I got up at 2:00am to drive to the deer lease to hunt. About 3:30am I had a deer run out in front of my Tundra & I hit him pretty good. Had time to slam on my brakes but he hit the front of my truck & slid across the road. Stopped & went to check on him & he was hurt pretty bad but flopping around. Called the sheriff & asked if I should put him out of his misery & wanted to get the # for the game warden. Sheriff's office said it was illegal to shoot the deer & I could get in trouble if I did (even if in my opinion it would have been the right thing to do). I went back to my truck to get my suppressed 300 Blackout as i felt it wasn't right to let the deer suffer & he ended up struggling to his feet & limping away. He probably ended up as coyote bait as he was hurt pretty bad.

Would it have been wrong to shoot the deer even if it wasn't "legal"?

Re: Calling Game Warden [Re: TXhogkilr] #8088829 12/14/20 03:33 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by TXhogkilr
Couple years ago I got up at 2:00am to drive to the deer lease to hunt. About 3:30am I had a deer run out in front of my Tundra & I hit him pretty good. Had time to slam on my brakes but he hit the front of my truck & slid across the road. Stopped & went to check on him & he was hurt pretty bad but flopping around. Called the sheriff & asked if I should put him out of his misery & wanted to get the # for the game warden. Sheriff's office said it was illegal to shoot the deer & I could get in trouble if I did (even if in my opinion it would have been the right thing to do). I went back to my truck to get my suppressed 300 Blackout as i felt it wasn't right to let the deer suffer & he ended up struggling to his feet & limping away. He probably ended up as coyote bait as he was hurt pretty bad.

I bet you would get mixed answers from GW's.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Calling Game Warden [Re: Herbie Hancock] #8088837 12/14/20 03:40 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
Originally Posted by TXhogkilr

I bet you would get mixed answers from GW's.

Can't discharge a firearm in the right of way or highway. Don't ask me how I know but my buddy knows all the details.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Calling Game Warden [Re: DQ Kid] #8088849 12/14/20 03:44 PM
J
jdk1985 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
I have one of our Wardens in my phone. Almost never need to call. Will do so anytime I want to make sure things are in the right. He's a great guy, far as I can tell.

Instagram @justinkingwoodworking
Re: Calling Game Warden [Re: jdk1985] #8088860 12/14/20 03:48 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by jdk1985
I have one of our Wardens in my phone. Almost never need to call. Will do so anytime I want to make sure things are in the right. He's a great guy, far as I can tell.

I think most of them are

Re: Calling Game Warden [Re: DQ Kid] #8088878 12/14/20 03:52 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Have you seen Lone Star Law? I enjoy the show, but the amount it shows them rehabbing squirrels and birds and etc. pisses me off sometimes. That isn't their job and isn't what they are paid for if you ask me especially for as much as they are supposedly run thin etc.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Calling Game Warden [Re: redchevy] #8088891 12/14/20 03:57 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by redchevy
Have you seen Lone Star Law? I enjoy the show, but the amount it shows them rehabbing squirrels and birds and etc. pisses me off sometimes. That isn't their job and isn't what they are paid for if you ask me especially for as much as they are supposedly run thin etc.

I agree with all the anima rescue stuff, that is pretty boring.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Calling Game Warden [Re: DQ Kid] #8088921 12/14/20 04:12 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
The only dealings I have had with a Texas game warden was to verify if I could hunt a given spot presumed to be public, long story short he was very helpful and I hunted with no legal concerns.

The one time I called in on a poacher was in North Carolina. I found two deer carcasses dumped on the training area I was hunting, missing back straps and hind quarters, the buck was also missing his head, nothing else taken. And they fled on ATV’s and a 4x4 pickup when I walked up.

I called the cops, while they were running. Long story short on that one the game warden was too busy dealing with something else to come out. They sent an MP that was too lazy to come out and investigate, tried to tell me it was coyotes. I have never been so insulted in my life. I took pictures of cleanly cut hide/meat and sawn off bones. There was obviously no evidence of predators.

He came out to within about three miles and had me to walk back and forth and take pictures and provide him the evidence. Told me I had to comply with his requests. If I wasn’t in the Army at the time I would have told him to do it his damn self.

If I could do it over I might have shot those mf-ers.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Calling Game Warden [Re: 10 Gauge] #8088946 12/14/20 04:25 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann
The only dealings I have had with a Texas game warden was to verify if I could hunt a given spot presumed to be public, long story short he was very helpful and I hunted with no legal concerns.

The one time I called in on a poacher was in North Carolina. I found two deer carcasses dumped on the training area I was hunting, missing back straps and hind quarters, the buck was also missing his head, nothing else taken. And they fled on ATV’s and a 4x4 pickup when I walked up.

I called the cops, while they were running. Long story short on that one the game warden was too busy dealing with something else to come out. They sent an MP that was too lazy to come out and investigate, tried to tell me it was coyotes. I have never been so insulted in my life. I took pictures of cleanly cut hide/meat and sawn off bones. There was obviously no evidence of predators.

He came out to within about three miles and had me to walk back and forth and take pictures and provide him the evidence. Told me I had to comply with his requests. If I wasn’t in the Army at the time I would have told him to do it his damn self.

If I could do it over I might have shot those mf-ers.

Shooting someone over game harvest infractions even if illegal is not a good course of action, I'm sure you're speaking facetiously..

Re: Calling Game Warden [Re: DQ Kid] #8088970 12/14/20 04:35 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
God Bless America, are you an attorney or something? Detective? Thank God I got the likes of you to put me in check for my comments.

Re: Calling Game Warden [Re: 10 Gauge] #8088988 12/14/20 04:42 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
God Bless America, are you an attorney or something? Detective? Thank God I got the likes of you to put me in check for my comments.

whatever dude.

Re: Calling Game Warden [Re: Wytex] #8088992 12/14/20 04:44 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Wytex

whatever dude.

dead_horse hammer

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide