texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Louis3777, Marshweave, Wellbornpapa, BubbaEarl, kurjeg
68345 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 107,147
bill oxner 82,770
stxranchman 57,315
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,461
Gravytrain 42,276
BMD 41,172
Big Orn 37,484
Forum Statistics
Forums45
Topics602,095
Posts11,288,971
Members83,345
Most Online19,184
Feb 5th, 2020
Print Thread
Hog in trap this morning #8082364 12/09/20 04:02 PM
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,043
M
mikei Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,043
Went out to check my hog traps this morning and discovered this big boy in the smallest trap I have! As I drove up to the trap, he went absolutely crazy! Slamming the ends, sides and even the top of the trap. I normally whack trapped hogs with my Judge and a 45 Colt, but decided it would be safer (and easier on my little home made trap) I it took him from a distance.) I backed off about 50 yards and let him settle down and then introduced him to one of Speer's 130 grain HotCor bullets out of my Ham'r. He dropped without a sound. By girth measurement he clocked in a 210 pounds. He was so long, and the trap is so narrow, I really struggled to get him oriented so I could drag him out. The yotes and buzzards will have a field day or 3 with him.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by mikei; 12/09/20 04:03 PM.
Re: Hog in trap this morning [Re: mikei] #8082373 12/09/20 04:09 PM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,962
B
bassfishinglawyer Offline
Pro Tracker
Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,962
Originally Posted by mikei
Went out to check my hog traps this morning and discovered this big boy in the smallest trap I have! As I drove up to the trap, he went absolutely crazy! Slamming the ends, sides and even the top of the trap. I normally whack trapped hogs with my Judge and a 45 Colt, but decided it would be safer (and easier on my little home made trap) I it took him from a distance.) I backed off about 50 yards and let him settle down and then introduced him to one of Speer's 130 grain HotCor bullets out of my Ham'r. He dropped without a sound. By girth measurement he clocked in a 210 pounds. He was so long, and the trap is so narrow, I really struggled to get him oriented so I could drag him out. The yotes and buzzards will have a field day or 3 with him.

[Linked Image]

up

Re: Hog in trap this morning [Re: mikei] #8082389 12/09/20 04:17 PM
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 701
BbarVRanch Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 701
Nice!

Re: Hog in trap this morning [Re: mikei] #8082688 12/09/20 07:34 PM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,952
D
der Teufel Offline
Pro Tracker
Offline
Pro Tracker
D
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,952
Great!
Keep After 'Em


You can never have too much ammo � unless you're swimming.
Re: Hog in trap this morning [Re: mikei] #8082778 12/09/20 08:39 PM
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 20,539
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 20,539
LOL, that otta do'er!

I shoot all of my trapped pigs with a 22 pistola. One hollow point to the brain is all it takes.

Re: Hog in trap this morning [Re: mikei] #8082932 12/09/20 10:41 PM
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 909
O
Old Stony Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
O
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 909
I had this guy in the smallest trap I have a couple of nights ago. He was a nice healthy 10 pointer and boy was he excited ! He raised up and pulled the t-post clear out of the ground that was an anchor for the corner of the trap. I got him out without any damage on him and he took off like a mad animal.
[Linked Image]

Re: Hog in trap this morning [Re: Old Stony] #8082938 12/09/20 10:48 PM
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 20,539
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 20,539
Glad he didn’t get injured. I trapped a doe right before deer season and unfortunately she broke her neck while I was approaching the trap. Didn’t want to, but had to drag her to the bone pile. Would have tagged her during season. Yes, could have called the GW and requested a wildlife resource document, but after the way the last young wardens acted I didn’t want them back out there.

Re: Hog in trap this morning [Re: mikei] #8082943 12/09/20 10:51 PM
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,882
D
Dalroo Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
D
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,882
Ugh - I have found with deer (and also a calf or two), the best way to release them from my traps is to remove the spring, quickly push open the door, then get out of the way - usually having the trap between me and whatever I've sprung.

Unfortunately, my traps have floors, so when a big hog is done, getting them positioned and pulled out is a huge PIA. Now I let machinery do the work - shoot, position, lift one end with the tractor, hope they roll close to door.


Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
No matter where you go, there you are...
Re: Hog in trap this morning [Re: Dalroo] #8082948 12/09/20 10:54 PM
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 20,539
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 20,539
Originally Posted by Dalroo
Ugh - I have found with deer (and also a calf or two), the best way to release them from my traps is to remove the spring, quickly push open the door, then get out of the way - usually having the trap between me and whatever I've sprung.

Unfortunately, my traps have floors, so when a big hog is done, getting them positioned and pulled out is a huge PIA. Now I let machinery do the work - shoot, position, lift one end with the tractor, hope they roll close to door.



PVC pipe and a slip knot works pretty good too, kinda like the dog catchers use.

Re: Hog in trap this morning [Re: skinnerback] #8082956 12/09/20 11:00 PM
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,882
D
Dalroo Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
D
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,882
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Originally Posted by Dalroo
Ugh - I have found with deer (and also a calf or two), the best way to release them from my traps is to remove the spring, quickly push open the door, then get out of the way - usually having the trap between me and whatever I've sprung.

Unfortunately, my traps have floors, so when a big hog is done, getting them positioned and pulled out is a huge PIA. Now I let machinery do the work - shoot, position, lift one end with the tractor, hope they roll close to door.



PVC pipe and a slip knot works pretty good too, kinda like the dog catchers use.
Hey, I like that - will try.


Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
No matter where you go, there you are...
Re: Hog in trap this morning [Re: mikei] #8083265 12/10/20 02:20 AM
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 8,523
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Shocked
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 8,523
Nice one

Re: Hog in trap this morning [Re: mikei] #8086735 12/12/20 06:57 PM
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 101
C
CatchinBass Offline
Woodsman
Offline
Woodsman
C
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 101
Nice

Re: Hog in trap this morning [Re: Old Stony] #8087286 12/13/20 02:43 AM
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,200
Ohdangit Offline
Pro Tracker
Offline
Pro Tracker
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,200
Originally Posted by Old Stony
I had this guy in the smallest trap I have a couple of nights ago. He was a nice healthy 10 pointer and boy was he excited ! He raised up and pulled the t-post clear out of the ground that was an anchor for the corner of the trap. I got him out without any damage on him and he took off like a mad animal.
[Linked Image]

Dang eek2


I'm just a pebble in the belly of the devil
Re: Hog in trap this morning [Re: mikei] #8087534 12/13/20 01:59 PM
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 7,219
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 7,219
Horned hog! Nice one! Bigger trap will get you a sounder of them.


Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Hog in trap this morning [Re: mikei] #8087710 12/13/20 04:23 PM
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1,339
Y
yotehater Offline
Pro Tracker
Offline
Pro Tracker
Y
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1,339
That's one way to keep the raccoons off the top of the hog trap. Maybe he learnt' his lesson.


One shot is all it should take.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3