Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: We need a new primer manufacturer. [Re: J.G.] #8076810 12/05/20 03:25 AM
B
bluetopper Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
There’s bound to be a foreign primer company come in to the US market with a big shipment.

Uprisings started or quelled, tornadoes rerouted, elections rigged.
Re: We need a new primer manufacturer. [Re: J.G.] #8077103 12/05/20 02:36 PM
T
Txhillbilly Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
If the Government wouldn't have cut off all the imported primer's from Wolf, Tula, Ginex, etc., we wouldn't have a shortage in the first place.

Re: We need a new primer manufacturer. [Re: Txhillbilly] #8077137 12/05/20 03:17 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly
If the Government wouldn't have cut off all the imported primer's from Wolf, Tula, Ginex, etc., we wouldn't have a shortage in the first place.

We don’t want foreigners stuff, or at least I don’t. I want to purchase American made products and if I have to wait then so be it.

Re: We need a new primer manufacturer. [Re: Ol Thumper] #8077462 12/05/20 09:04 PM
T
Txhillbilly Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper

We don’t want foreigners stuff, or at least I don’t. I want to purchase American made products and if I have to wait then so be it.

If you would really look at every product that you buy - use - or own today, there isn't much of anything Made In America. You may have some stuff Assembled in America, but the vast majority of the product isn't made here.
So You can get off your Made in America stuff!

Re: We need a new primer manufacturer. [Re: J.G.] #8077653 12/05/20 11:22 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Get off my made in America stuff?? That’s possibly the most Un-American thing I’ve read on here, so what your saying is you want even more crap from overseas coming in? If so that’s ok, it’s your opinion and I respect it however I’ll stick to my beliefs in keeping as much as possible here. We’re dependent on to much stuff from other countries as it is, flag

Re: We need a new primer manufacturer. [Re: Txhillbilly] #8077851 12/06/20 02:08 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
[quote=Ol Thumper][quote=Txhillbilly]So You can get off your Made in America stuff!

WHAT? eek2

The communists/global authoritarian rulers are rising to power and taking control of us by the minute.

People best wake up in a hurry.

Having the ability to make our own ammo is one of the most critical needs for our country to even have a hope of surviving.

Re: We need a new primer manufacturer. [Re: Ol Thumper] #8078074 12/06/20 10:08 AM
T
Txhillbilly Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
Get off my made in America stuff?? That’s possibly the most Un-American thing I’ve read on here, so what your saying is you want even more crap from overseas coming in? If so that’s ok, it’s your opinion and I respect it however I’ll stick to my beliefs in keeping as much as possible here. We’re dependent on to much stuff from other countries as it is, flag

I'm not trying to be Un-American, I'm just stating a fact. I'd love it if our good's were still all made in America!
Very few things that you can buy are 100% made in America. If you drive an American automobile, most of the parts come from Mexico and Asian countries. Almost all of American brand house hold appliance's are made in Mexico. And the list just goes on.

I drove OTR trucks for 35 years, and have hauled thousands of loads of what used to be American made products that are now produced out of Mexico because the Union worker's and Corporate taxes have made it too hard for American companies to make profits buy manufacturing the products here in the USA.

I was just saying that we are loosing out by not being able to import foreign produced reloading primer's that were once plentiful to buy, and they work just as well as the brands produced here.

Re: We need a new primer manufacturer. [Re: Txhillbilly] #8078215 12/06/20 02:24 PM
J.G. Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
I was just saying that we are loosing out by not being able to import foreign produced reloading primer's that were once plentiful to buy, and they work just as well as the brands produced here.

During the Industrial Revolution in the U.S. that was NEVER the thought anyone had. If the market needed another supplier, someone created a new supplier. Never was the thought to buy something from another country. And the U.S. made some of the greatest strides in all its' history because of that attitude. We need to get away from foreign goods, and Trump has been working to make that happen. And Jeff is exactly right, making our own ammo and components is crucial to national security.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: We need a new primer manufacturer. [Re: J.G.] #8078562 12/06/20 08:00 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
You make ‘em and I will buy some fireman. I agree we need another primer manufacturer. If someone can come online in this current shortage, the timing is right for them to take significant market share. I buy American where it makes sense to me. It does not always make sense though. If I’m wrong, so are all you boys buying and shooting Tikka’s. Some more food for thought is what percentage of gunpowder sold in the U.S. is made elsewhere?

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 12/06/20 08:06 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: We need a new primer manufacturer. [Re: Smokey Bear] #8078637 12/06/20 09:22 PM
J.G. Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Majority of gun powder is NOT made in the U.S.

At least the ones I use are not. I wish they were. We are moving in that direction though. Foreign suppliers cause supply problems, and there can be shipping problems. I have not seen H-Retumbo since 2018. I believe it was one that was made in Australia.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: We need a new primer manufacturer. [Re: J.G.] #8078650 12/06/20 09:36 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by FiremanJG

During the Industrial Revolution in the U.S. that was NEVER the thought anyone had. If the market needed another supplier, someone created a new supplier. Never was the thought to buy something from another country. And the U.S. made some of the greatest strides in all its' history because of that attitude. We need to get away from foreign goods, and Trump has been working to make that happen. And Jeff is exactly right, making our own ammo and components is crucial to national security.

Convince the right person in the upper echelon of the military and you will not have a problem getting a new primer factory built. The facilities & equipment are already in mothball in NE Texas.

Re: We need a new primer manufacturer. [Re: machinist] #8078854 12/07/20 12:47 AM
M
Mike Honcho Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by machinist
To me the problem comes after the shortage is over. Winchester, Remington, Federal and CCI have been in the primer business for years and years. So the shortage is over and the price has settled back down to a realistic level. You go to buy a thousand primers(pick a size) here are all the old standards and then over here is the new startup Texas Primer Co. H'mm I don't know anything about them but I have been using CCI for years. What do you buy. You are going to buy what you trust, what you have used successfully for years.
To me that will be a BIG problem.

So the mitigation in my mind is to establish a following based on performance. We all know Fireman can shoot. As soon as a few guys over on the hide start shooting them and their performance doesn’t decline it turns into black rifle coffee in my opinion. I do agree the venture is like the oil business but as mentioned before when you run lean and mean you can definitely be operating when the lean times comes.

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: We need a new primer manufacturer. [Re: J.G.] #8079317 12/07/20 01:49 PM
glocker17 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I used to work at Federal in the 90s and the way primers are made would shock you. While the cups and anvils are stamped out of roll steel, the actual assembly of the primer is done by hand in a room with water on the floor to catch the dropped material. Its not nearly as high tech as I thought it would be, the cups are placed in a large tray and then the lead styphnate is grated over the top almost like a cheese grater, then the anvils are embedded down into the cup. This is all done in a blast proof room separate from the actual factory floor.

A fair bit of land is used as the priming material is dangerous and is stored across the property in small shacks. As you could imagine a baseball sized piece of priming material that you are grating across the tray of primer cups is pretty explosive stuff.

At the end of they day, primers are not that profitable, they are a sideline business and necessity for ammo production. I doubt you could make a return on the investment needed to fund a primer production facility. Guessing $50 million would get something basic going.

Last edited by glocker17; 12/07/20 01:58 PM.
Re: We need a new primer manufacturer. [Re: glocker17] #8079490 12/07/20 03:47 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted by glocker17
I used to work at Federal in the 90s and the way primers are made would shock you. While the cups and anvils are stamped out of roll steel, the actual assembly of the primer is done by hand in a room with water on the floor to catch the dropped material. Its not nearly as high tech as I thought it would be, the cups are placed in a large tray and then the lead styphnate is grated over the top almost like a cheese grater, then the anvils are embedded down into the cup. This is all done in a blast proof room separate from the actual factory floor.

A fair bit of land is used as the priming material is dangerous and is stored across the property in small shacks. As you could imagine a baseball sized piece of priming material that you are grating across the tray of primer cups is pretty explosive stuff.

At the end of they day, primers are not that profitable, they are a sideline business and necessity for ammo production. I doubt you could make a return on the investment needed to fund a primer production facility. Guessing $50 million would get something basic going.

great info

not being able to automate would be a killer

Re: We need a new primer manufacturer. [Re: J.G.] #8079529 12/07/20 04:12 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Ive got zero inside info on it, but i would highly doubt in 2020 that they are still making primers by hand.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: We need a new primer manufacturer. [Re: J.G.] #8079638 12/07/20 05:35 PM
glocker17 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I believe they still are, they were as recently as the early 2019. There is quite a but of big machinery involved, but still not automated like you would think. A good operator could turn out tens of thousands in an hour. Four or five operators can make enough to keep up with the entire facilities ammo production. Room looks nicer than the old days, but the old cheese grater process is still in place.

Around the 4:00 mark you will see hoe its done.

Factory Tour

Last edited by glocker17; 12/07/20 05:44 PM.
Re: We need a new primer manufacturer. [Re: J.G.] #8079651 12/07/20 05:48 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
How does a person assemble tens of thousands of primers by hand in an hour? To me that sounds very automated no?

Last edited by redchevy; 12/07/20 05:48 PM.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: We need a new primer manufacturer. [Re: redchevy] #8079656 12/07/20 05:51 PM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by redchevy
...i would highly doubt in 2020 that they are still making primers by hand.

I'm with you but very preliminary digging uncovered...

Homemade Primer Course
W. Marshall Thompson PhD
April 29, 2014

It is interesting that the most important step in primer manufacture, filling the cups with primer compound, continues to be done by hand.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: We need a new primer manufacturer. [Re: J.G.] #8079679 12/07/20 06:03 PM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
From another gun forum...

Originally Posted by
First you would need big punch presses to form cups and anvils and then a machine to wash and degrease them.

I have been in all the plants and all do it virtually the same way.

You would need som remote facility where the synthesis of lead styphnate can be done and primer mix made. It is done in small batches and only one pound at a time is allowed in the plant.

Everyone uses a plate loading process. The primer mix goes to a room that is designed to blow out away from the plant. A lone operator fills each plate with mix and passes it through a hole in the wall to the rest of the process. The work is done on a marble slab with a constant flow of water across it. Mix is relatively stable when wet. The operator takes a ball of mix and, using a rubber squeegie spreads the mix evenly into the holes.
Picture a bunch of 8x10 stainless steel plates with 1000 primer sized holes. There is one for the empty cups, primer mix, and anvils. The plate with the mix is placed atop one with cups and a machine with a bunch of little rods pushes the mix into the cup.

Then in a process called "booking" a plate with anvils is placed over the cups. In some plants this is done manually and it looks much like closing the pages of a book. Others use a machine much like the one that filled the cups. The anvils are then seated and the primer is done.

The work is done in "U" shaped cells with stations for each operation with an inspection as the final step before packaging.

All the plants do it virtually the same way. I have been told that attempts to automate the process have failed. It is very labor intensive. Primer cells are almost always staffed by women who- I was told- have more patience and better dexterity than men

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: We need a new primer manufacturer. [Re: J.G.] #8079687 12/07/20 06:06 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Ok so the priming compound is applied by hand, but is done 1000 at a time.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: We need a new primer manufacturer. [Re: J.G.] #8079780 12/07/20 06:56 PM
glocker17 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Yes, the compound, the cup, and anvil are assembled by hand. One person assembles metal components after stamping and one applies the mix, then its back into a machine that seats the anvil into the mix. It is then dried so it can be loaded.

To my knowledge they have tried to remove humans from those portions and have failed. Several skilled 2 person teams is still required to make primers. Same thing with UltraMatch 22 ammo, bullets were started by hand as a machine could not do it as well as a group of ladies from MN.

Last edited by glocker17; 12/07/20 06:59 PM.
Re: We need a new primer manufacturer. [Re: J.G.] #8079794 12/07/20 07:02 PM
J.G. Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
10,000 per hour X $0.07 = $700 per hour
$700 X 24 hours = $16,800 per day
$16,800 X 30 days = $504,000 per month

That should cover some expenses pretty quickly. Course, it would take 3 shifts to make primers for 24 hours a day.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: We need a new primer manufacturer. [Re: J.G.] #8079924 12/07/20 08:35 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
it would take 3 shifts to make primers for 24 hours a day.

That means your employees work 7 days a week. They will quit once the overtime has put a good chuck in the bank. I recommend 4 shifts, 2 on days and 2 on nights, 12 hour days. Of all the weird schedules I worked in production over 20 years, this seemed to keep us happy. I don't miss it.
I look forward to my first purchase of primers. If possible, I'll pick em up in person so I can see the operation.

Re: We need a new primer manufacturer. [Re: garyrapp55] #8079969 12/07/20 09:06 PM
J.G. Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by garyrapp55
it would take 3 shifts to make primers for 24 hours a day.

That means your employees work 7 days a week. They will quit once the overtime has put a good chuck in the bank. I recommend 4 shifts, 2 on days and 2 on nights, 12 hour days. Of all the weird schedules I worked in production over 20 years, this seemed to keep us happy. I don't miss it.
I look forward to my first purchase of primers. If possible, I'll pick em up in person so I can see the operation.

I would absolutely listen to any experience people have working different schedules. And I know you know what you're talking about.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: We need a new primer manufacturer. [Re: J.G.] #8080299 12/08/20 12:53 AM
glocker17 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
You would have to produce way more than that to cover the costs of the facility and machinery. Most needed machines are very expensive and so will finding people to operate them, you would need 4 operators teams for 3 shifts a day to even come close. Based on the profit margins in my day , I don't see if being a stand alone business unless you could command a much higher price when demand is lower in normal years. Your gross profit will be less than .01 per unit.

The better route if you are serious is to contract with an over seas producer that isn't operating at capacity, anywhere from Mexico to Russia and many locals in between. I would shoot Lapua or Norma OEM primers in a heartbeat, lots of BR shoots like the Russian primers as well.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide