Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Deer processing. What do y’all order. #8076884 12/05/20 05:26 AM
Roll-Tide Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
I do not process myself. If you do, great for you.

I seem to panic at the last second and always mess up and never get what I want in the right quantity.

On a standard deer, what do y’all get?

So many pounds of what???? I’m Looking for a nice variety. What works for y’all?????

Re: Deer processing. What do y’all order. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8076904 12/05/20 06:02 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Processing is so expensive and cutting meat and wrapping in freezer paper is so easy. From a quartered animal I cut and package my own backstrap, some to all boneless round steak, and the tenderloins. I will grind my own hamburger and chili meat and package sometimes, either with a hand or electric grinder depending on quantity, but not always.

Trimmings and anything I don't package gets as much of the fat and silver skin removed as I can and taken to Kubys.

Rather than tell them how many pounds of each quantity I want, I have them divide the meat used into equal amounts of Jalapeno cheese sausage, Hot Smoked sausage, Salami/Summer Sausage, and Hot breakfast sausage. And add hamburger grind to that equal amounts list if not doing it on my own. I might add one of the minimum amount of hunter sticks and or Jerky if I have a lot of meat. But again the easiest is to choose the ones you know you and your family like to eat the most and just tell them to make it into equal quantities.

If they are doing the full processing and meat cuts for you I also recommend asking them if they can run the roundsteak through the tenderizer for you.

Re: Deer processing. What do y’all order. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8076939 12/05/20 09:49 AM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I hunt with one of the owners of the largest processor in these parts and the owner of the second largest is my running buddy, Rooster, another square headed compradre. Together their facilities easily process well in excess of 10,000 deer annually and that's a number from years ago. They are used to it now, but always an issue is the guy who shots a doe, picks it up with one arm, brings it to the facility and expects, back straps, jerky, dried sausage, jalapeno cheese sausage, summer sausage, smoked sausage, breakfast sausage and more.

Our first deer this year was doe, albeit a smaller one. I take great care when cutting up my meat. I boned her out pretty good, but must admit, I hurried and could have done better. Did not get as much off her scrawny neck as I should i should have. I got three packages of back straps (serves two) and 23 pounds of high quality, all red, lump meat which will later go into sausage. I can be picky because I will shoot a half dozen or more for personal consumption. Processors do not have the time to be as selective. You'll get more flesh from them than you will get from me. With this said, I would try to take in two deer at a time and if all possible. The meat from one, single carcass does not go a far as many people think. Minimum sausage order is typically 20 pounds. Of course half that can be pork. With the doe cited above I could have gotten the back strap steak order, 20 pounds of dried sausage (remember 10 of that is pork you pay additional for) leaving me another 11 pounds of flesh to go haywire with.

We always consume back strap steaks and that is exactly how we cook it - just like steak on the grill. We'll cut the back straps into 6 inch steaks, two per package. I can always cut later after thawing to chicken fry or whatever. I f additional fresh cuts are desired, we'll have them slice a ham into 3/4 inch steaks, tenderized and wrapped one to a package. These are great for fajita type uses, breakfast steaks or whatever.

Remembering my dried sausage requirements are larger than most as I personally make more than 200 rings annually (about a pound a piece)' I would take in my 1st two deer and order the back straps as described prior and dry sausage the remainder. With a third deer, I would do the back straps, bone out one of the hind quarters for soft jerky and dry sausage the remainder. Don't see soft jerky much and for the life of me I do not know why. It is the least expensive process and some people really enjoy it. Some even more than my own sausage and that is quite a compliment to the soft jerky. Lucky enough for a fourth tag and then you get anther round of the back straps and your hearts content with the rest - summer sausage, fresh links, ham steaks, more dried sausage and/or whatever.

Usins here like to get from the deer what cannot be replicated at the meat market. That's why we heavily rely on deer for back strap steak, soft jerky and the dried sausage. You can get god salami, breakfast sausage, jalapeno sausage, panas and other product where the deer meat flavor is overwhelmed anyway, every day at the market market.

Re: Deer processing. What do y’all order. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8076958 12/05/20 12:05 PM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Before I got my grinder and stuffer I would take the Tenderloins, Back Straps and Roast out and send everything else to the processor and have different kinds of Links, Summer Sausages and breakfast sausages made.

One time I took deer that I had only pulled the backstraps and Tenderloins off to Cinnamon Creek and ordered all kinds of stuff, gave the lady my $100.00 deposit.
When I came back to pick up my meat she says that will be $327.00. and with that deer in the headlight look I mumbled, did you deduct the $100.00 I already gave y'all? She said yep.
I know $427.00 is not a lot of money to you high rollers, but it certainly surprised me. Cinnamon Creek is really very good and I enjoyed it.
Moral of the story, pay attention to what you are ordering, it adds up!

texas flag

Re: Deer processing. What do y’all order. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8076981 12/05/20 12:40 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I would want all rib eyes for what they charge.

Re: Deer processing. What do y’all order. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8076990 12/05/20 01:04 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Our sausage making shop was out of commission one season. Bug man had sold the place and the new one wasn't ready. Cost me $1,100 that year and that was with a discount.

Re: Deer processing. What do y’all order. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8077156 12/05/20 03:41 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Our standard processor order starts with Backstrap - Whole (not sliced) and Steaks - Tenderized, one per pack. We almost never grind the hams unless it’s a deer we’re donating to ministry. I want as much frying meat as possible from the hams. After that, each deer goes either Hamburger, Chili grind, Breakfast sausage, some type of link, snack sticks, or summer sausage. We eat venison in some form nearly 1/3 of our meals.

When I do my own, like my pronghorn, I pull the straps and package them, then muscle out the hams and use the larger muscles for roasts. Smaller muscles are cut for either steaks or cubed for carne guisada. Shoulders are muscled or boned out, again for roasts, steaks, or grinding meat. This year I used 15lbs for chili. When I do my own I get rid of as much fat, silver skin, and other trash as possible.

While it is always a treat, venison is a staple around our house, not a once-in-a-while surprise. If you’re paying $3k for a lease, you should maximize your investment. I don’t understand people that take a single deer each year.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Deer processing. What do y’all order. [Re: Hudbone] #8077173 12/05/20 03:52 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Hudbone
I hunt with one of the owners of the largest processor in these parts and the owner of the second largest is my running buddy, Rooster, another square headed compradre. Together their facilities easily process well in excess of 10,000 deer annually and that's a number from years ago. They are used to it now, but always an issue is the guy who shots a doe, picks it up with one arm, brings it to the facility and expects, back straps, jerky, dried sausage, jalapeno cheese sausage, summer sausage, smoked sausage, breakfast sausage and more.

Our first deer this year was doe, albeit a smaller one. I take great care when cutting up my meat. I boned her out pretty good, but must admit, I hurried and could have done better. Did not get as much off her scrawny neck as I should i should have. I got three packages of back straps (serves two) and 23 pounds of high quality, all red, lump meat which will later go into sausage. I can be picky because I will shoot a half dozen or more for personal consumption. Processors do not have the time to be as selective. You'll get more flesh from them than you will get from me. With this said, I would try to take in two deer at a time and if all possible. The meat from one, single carcass does not go a far as many people think. Minimum sausage order is typically 20 pounds. Of course half that can be pork. With the doe cited above I could have gotten the back strap steak order, 20 pounds of dried sausage (remember 10 of that is pork you pay additional for) leaving me another 11 pounds of flesh to go haywire with.

We always consume back strap steaks and that is exactly how we cook it - just like steak on the grill. We'll cut the back straps into 6 inch steaks, two per package. I can always cut later after thawing to chicken fry or whatever. I f additional fresh cuts are desired, we'll have them slice a ham into 3/4 inch steaks, tenderized and wrapped one to a package. These are great for fajita type uses, breakfast steaks or whatever.

Remembering my dried sausage requirements are larger than most as I personally make more than 200 rings annually (about a pound a piece)' I would take in my 1st two deer and order the back straps as described prior and dry sausage the remainder. With a third deer, I would do the back straps, bone out one of the hind quarters for soft jerky and dry sausage the remainder. Don't see soft jerky much and for the life of me I do not know why. It is the least expensive process and some people really enjoy it. Some even more than my own sausage and that is quite a compliment to the soft jerky. Lucky enough for a fourth tag and then you get anther round of the back straps and your hearts content with the rest - summer sausage, fresh links, ham steaks, more dried sausage and/or whatever.

Usins here like to get from the deer what cannot be replicated at the meat market. That's why we heavily rely on deer for back strap steak, soft jerky and the dried sausage. You can get god salami, breakfast sausage, jalapeno sausage, panas and other product where the deer meat flavor is overwhelmed anyway, every day at the market market.

Nice summary

Re: Deer processing. What do y’all order. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8077454 12/05/20 08:56 PM
M
MathGeek Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
My wife was pretty good at cutting roasts into steak, so we asked them for mostly roasts with the anatomy labeled. Shoulders only make good steaks on younger deer.

We'd usually have them grind the neck on every deer and the shoulders on older deer. Sometimes we'd be in the mood to take the ribs as ribs, other times we just add them to the grind.

Sausage never seemed like a good deal.

We'd usually process our own unless we were squeezed for time - usually by killing a bunch of deer in a short span.

Re: Deer processing. What do y’all order. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8077483 12/05/20 09:19 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
This year I told them to save back straps and tenderloins whole and do half and half summer sausage and breakfast sausage with the rest.

Dad usually gives me his deer so I told them to save back straps and tenderloins and do hamburger with the rest.

Re: Deer processing. What do y’all order. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8077545 12/05/20 10:03 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
we keep it simple - back straps and tenderloins in steaks, half link sausage and other half hamburger with 30% fat added - use it all year round

You can't fix stupid
Re: Deer processing. What do y’all order. [Re: Sniper John] #8077578 12/05/20 10:24 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted by Sniper John
Processing is so expensive and cutting meat and wrapping in freezer paper is so easy. From a quartered animal I cut and package my own backstrap, some to all boneless round steak, and the tenderloins. I will grind my own hamburger and chili meat and package sometimes, either with a hand or electric grinder depending on quantity, but not always.

Trimmings and anything I don't package gets as much of the fat and silver skin removed as I can and taken to Kubys.

Rather than tell them how many pounds of each quantity I want, I have them divide the meat used into equal amounts of Jalapeno cheese sausage, Hot Smoked sausage, Salami/Summer Sausage, and Hot breakfast sausage. And add hamburger grind to that equal amounts list if not doing it on my own. I might add one of the minimum amount of hunter sticks and or Jerky if I have a lot of meat. But again the easiest is to choose the ones you know you and your family like to eat the most and just tell them to make it into equal quantities.

If they are doing the full processing and meat cuts for you I also recommend asking them if they can run the roundsteak through the tenderizer for you.

I will add when I take in the trimmings from a deer or two, I usually take the opportunity to throw the backstraps and ham meat from a couple hogs into the same bags to get mixed in with the venison for sausage. I shoot so many and leave so many lay, I like to utilize at least a couple of them with the venison.

Re: Deer processing. What do y’all order. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8077625 12/05/20 10:57 PM
D
dlrz71 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Backstraps and tenderloins whole on all my deer. We usually get most of our deer into burger along with pepperjack smoked sausage and jalapeno/chedder summer sausage.

At times I have gotten chili meat, some roasts and what is called pepper steaks.

Re: Deer processing. What do y’all order. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8077688 12/05/20 11:47 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Depends on what I need. I typically shoot 2 axis a year and 4 or 5 whitetail and dozens of hogs.
I keep all backstraps and cut thick to grill. Often I’ll leave the ribs attached on larger whitetail and axis to make a crown roast. Hogs get made into sausage. On deer, I get the hams steaked out and keep two or three roasts whole. The rest is ground and I’ll get pan sausage, link sausage and straight hamburger. About one deer a year will be made into summer sausage, dry rings and tamales.
The last two does I shot were ground into hamburger except for the straps. Buy a small grinder and a vac sealer and they will pay for themselves in about 3 deer.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Deer processing. What do y’all order. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8077696 12/05/20 11:51 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
what I would REALLY like is to find someone who makes tamales

You can't fix stupid
Re: Deer processing. What do y’all order. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8077759 12/06/20 12:43 AM
R
RabbitsFoot Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
Always have breakfast and jalapeño cheddar sausages made. My reg ground I have them add bacon and jalapeño. Boudin if i go to the right place

Last edited by RabbitsFoot; 12/06/20 12:47 AM.
Re: Deer processing. What do y’all order. [Re: tlk] #8077761 12/06/20 12:45 AM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by tlk

Find you an abuelita.

Re: Deer processing. What do y’all order. [Re: TexFlip] #8078213 12/06/20 02:22 PM
M
MathGeek Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Originally Posted by TexFlip
Originally Posted by tlk

Find you an abuelita.

My grandmother makes tamales.

My children call my mom "abuelita", but my mom doesn't make tamales.

Re: Deer processing. What do y’all order. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8078233 12/06/20 02:43 PM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I have TD's in Strawn do mine. We eat a lot of breakfast sausage, backstrap cut for CFS and bacon hamburger with 15% beef fat. That's my usual order.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Deer processing. What do y’all order. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8078324 12/06/20 04:06 PM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
My order this year was backstraps as bacon wrapped filets, tenderloins whole, 10 lbs of jalapeño cheddar link, 10 lbs of snack sticks, and then the rest got divided evenly between 10% hamburger, breakfast sausage and spicy breakfast.

I think I came home with around 90-100 lbs of meat

Re: Deer processing. What do y’all order. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8078830 12/07/20 12:06 AM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I have never taken any of my deer to get processed, so I have a couple of questions If yall dont mind me asking. Do you drop off a whole deer, or quartered deer? What does it run if I just want roast, and ground?

Re: Deer processing. What do y’all order. [Re: S.A. hunter] #8078885 12/07/20 01:14 AM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
I have never taken any of my deer to get processed, so I have a couple of questions If yall dont mind me asking. Do you drop off a whole deer, or quartered deer? What does it run if I just want roast, and ground?

You can do both but most charge less for a quartered deer versus whole. We’ve got a cooler at the deer lease so most of the time I don’t mess with skinning and quartering. The processor I use is $100 standard cuts + specialities.

I always budget 2-300 and never have been shocked. I’m sure one day it’ll happen. I also don’t get any regular cuts, backstrap and loins then everything else is something that costs $. Items we annually get...pepper steak hamburgers, jerky, summer sausage and chorizo. Breakfast sausage, chili meat, snack sticks and sausage links have all been had in the past but not quite ate like the other stuff.

This year I’m trying to get my wife to replace all our burger consumption with deer. We’ve 100% replaced the burgers with the pepper steak burgers so I’m trying to parlay that into all burger. We’ll see how that goes.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Deer processing. What do y’all order. [Re: S.A. hunter] #8078912 12/07/20 01:29 AM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter

I take quartered when I take them in. Just cuts and grind is $85. I've also taken bagged, cleaned meat and it is $1.95 a pound to make 50/50 sausage.

Re: Deer processing. What do y’all order. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8078930 12/07/20 01:43 AM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Never take backstrap and tenderloin in, we can cut backstrap into strips and pkg. for two. Always take ours in quartered . Usually have fresh garlic and Italian sausage made sometimes jalapeno and cheese sausage. One deer is usually made into hamburger with 10% tallow added and one deer into tenderized steaks. Much more can be had if you have the deer.

Re: Deer processing. What do y’all order. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8078964 12/07/20 02:06 AM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Jesus, my dad and I just put in 5 hours breaking two quartered deer down into a grind pile, and a jerky strip pile! I didn't even grind it yet.... Probably the last time we do it ourselves, my back is aches. Appreciate the info.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide