Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
AirPods 2 PRO noise cancelling question #8069317 11/30/20 02:36 AM
Superduty Offline OP
"The Regulator"
OP Offline
"The Regulator"
I have had the AirPods no ear protection or enhancements and now I have the AirPods PRO with noise cancelling they should work sitting in a boxed bind for sound protection right? I know I need to turn on noise cancelling for them to be effective. I am referring to the boom, after pulling trigger.

Opinions.

Last edited by Superduty; 11/30/20 02:48 AM.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question [Re: Superduty] #8069326 11/30/20 02:41 AM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
[Linked Image]

Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question [Re: Superduty] #8069332 11/30/20 02:48 AM
Roll-Tide Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I put mine in while hunting and listen to Christmas music. Very calming.

Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question [Re: S.A. hunter] #8069333 11/30/20 02:49 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
[Linked Image]

Is that gel?

Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question [Re: Superduty] #8069488 11/30/20 04:45 AM
R
Ranch Dawg Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Lol lol.

THE ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS.

F##K YOU JOE BIDEN !!!!!
Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question [Re: Superduty] #8069523 11/30/20 05:47 AM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Never understood the need for hearing protection while hunting.

I get it at the range or shooting clays.

One or two shots in the blind isn't going to be an issue and miss out on all the sounds you get to hear while hunting.

My hearing is tested every year by my employer and I waterfowl hunt a lot. No ill effects....

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question [Re: S.A. hunter] #8069552 11/30/20 09:32 AM
M
MrKit Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
[Linked Image]

roflmao roflmao

Hey pull my finger 👉💨
Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question [Re: BradyBuck] #8069581 11/30/20 11:38 AM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by BradyBuck

One or two shots in the blind isn't going to be an issue and miss out on all the sounds you get to hear while hunting.

My hearing is tested every year by my employer and I waterfowl hunt a lot. No ill effects....

Shotgun shells are quite a bit quieter than a rifle, especially one with a muzzle brake.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question [Re: Superduty] #8069606 11/30/20 12:21 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
I now try to bring hearing protection out in the field. 60 and its a recent turn. There is a reason.

Wear them and what does it hurt if not needed? If needed and not worn, deal with it at some point.

Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question [Re: Superduty] #8069886 11/30/20 03:51 PM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Air Pods weren't meant to hearing protection from a rifle blast...so no, that won't work but it's better than nothing.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question [Re: Superduty] #8070338 11/30/20 08:58 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
The noise cancellation maximum threshold isnt designed for gun shots or other super loud noises. Repeated use at say a range or something could ruin the system. Having said that, an occasional blast isnt going to, and it is effective in reducing the volume to the ear. I have used my bose headphones the same way and they are still working.

I agree with the sentiment of keeping headphones out while deer hunting as i like to hear the outside during this season, but i have listened to audio books or podcasts while hog hunting. Passes the time.

Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question [Re: Texas buckeye] #8071567 12/01/20 04:08 PM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
The noise cancellation maximum threshold isnt designed for gun shots or other super loud noises. Repeated use at say a range or something could ruin the system. Having said that, an occasional blast isnt going to, and it is effective in reducing the volume to the ear. I have used my bose headphones the same way and they are still working.

I agree with the sentiment of keeping headphones out while deer hunting as i like to hear the outside during this season, but i have listened to audio books or podcasts while hog hunting. Passes the time.

I had an airpod in my left ear listening to a podcast when I shot my WT this year. Used to read books all the time in the stand, but I like the audio version better since it keeps my eyes up. Using only one airpod lets me keep an ear out for other stuff

Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question [Re: Superduty] #8072010 12/01/20 09:36 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Superduty
I have had the AirPods no ear protection or enhancements and now I have the AirPods PRO with noise cancelling they should work sitting in a boxed bind for sound protection right? I know I need to turn on noise cancelling for them to be effective. I am referring to the boom, after pulling trigger.

Opinions.

https://www.apple.com/airpods-pro/?afid=p238%7C58OeSBDm-dc_mtid_1870765e38482_pcrid_77928038902508_pgrid_1246846660265060_&cid=aos-us-kwbi---slid---product-

Okay, did some research on the AirPods PRO. They claim to have "active noise cancelling" based on the fit of the pod into the ear canal. Last I checked, that was actually PASSIVE noise blocking, much like using ear plugs. However, they do have actual electronic active noise cancelling abilities. Again, last I checked, active noise cancelling abilities, Apple calls "anti noise" does not react fast enough to cancel the pressure of gunshots. Gun rated electronic hearing protection works by actually cutting off the sound going into the ear, a process that is faster than trying to actively counter it. The type of noise cancelling the AirPods are offering works best against continuous sound, like riding in a vehicle.

There is no doubt a very good reason that Airpod PRO does NOT have an NRR rating, right?

AIRPOD PROS ARE NOT HEARING PROTECTION AND HAVE NO NRR RATING!!!!

The short answer is that your Airpods will give you very minimal passive hearing protection by somewhat blocking your auditory canal. The active noise cancelling technology will NOT save your ears.

READ HERE...
https://www.entinstitute.com/noise-canceling-hearing-protection-does-it-really-exist/

I never understood the need to NOT wear ear pro while hunting. I see people making claims like this, but it reminds of people who say, "I ate lead paint chips as a kid and I am fine."

When you get up to rifle levels, say 145-165 db, damage can occur with a single shot. If the noise causes a ringing in the ears or you experience that popping sensation, damage has occurred.

It should be pointed out that damage is cumulative and does not repair itself.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question [Re: Superduty] #8072016 12/01/20 09:42 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
And this is probably why i have tinnitus....

No really, thanks for looking that up. I played the lazy part and didn't do any research, just took the claim of active noise suppression for what it said it was.

I will say my Bose headphones (ear bud style) with noise blocking worked very well for the few shots I have used them on. I have since gotten some walkers that also connect to my phone via Bluetooth that are rated for gun shots that work as good if not better.

Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8073320 12/02/20 09:25 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

I never understood the need to NOT wear ear pro while hunting. I see people making claims like this, but it reminds of people who say, "I ate lead paint chips as a kid and I am fine."

When you get up to rifle levels, say 145-165 db, damage can occur with a single shot. If the noise causes a ringing in the ears or you experience that popping sensation, damage has occurred.

It should be pointed out that damage is cumulative and does not repair itself.

I was a Pre-Med major for one semester, I agree with this message.

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question [Re: BradyBuck] #8073593 12/03/20 12:23 AM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W

You are fortunate, use protection now don't wait until you have rearing loss.

Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question [Re: Superduty] #8075211 12/04/20 12:32 AM
M
Mike Honcho Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I use noise canceling earbuds and stream music when shooting. Might be a coincidence but I seem to shoot better when listening to Frank Sinatra????. I don’t think it’s the best ear pro but I have not observed any ringing since switching over to them.

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question [Re: Wilhunt] #8076507 12/04/20 09:53 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Wilhunt

You are fortunate, use protection now don't wait until you have rearing loss.

this

The problem with hearing loss is your hearing is fine up until the moment it's not. And once it's not, it's downhill from there. After my MEPS Army physical the audiologist said I had exceptionally good hearing. If I'd known then what I know know I'd have taken better care of my hearing. Unfortunately, Uncle Sugar didn't think much about protecting soldiers ears at the time.

Most people would agree that hearing loss is the lesser of two evils. The other evil, being Tinnitus. I've heard of people going bat-sh1t crazy from the sounds they were hearing. Mine is significant, the sounds I hear vary from swooshing to hisses, buzzing, roaring, crackling and clear metallic tones that can be continuous or go up and down in scale. My hearing loss is severe. I just upgraded from Resound to Beltone Amaze 17 Hearing Aids and they're not cheap.

Think of it this way, when your ears are shot, there's no such thing as peace and quiet. What you want to hear, you can't. What you don't want to hear, you can. And it never stops.

Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question [Re: Superduty] #8076577 12/04/20 11:08 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
^^^^So true. It creeps up on you. You don't think there's any damage but there is and as mentioned it is cumulative. My hearing is shot and the tinnitus is extremely annoying. I wear regular ear plugs now. I think the noise cancelling earbuds or headphones still let some damaging noise in. I can't afford anymore loss of hearing. It's all from years of shooting when we were to stupid to realize the damage was being done. We also thought riding around smoking without a seat belt was OK too. Live and learn. Just learn from others pain so you can avoid it.

Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question [Re: Superduty] #8078937 12/07/20 01:47 AM
C
Chopperdrvr Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Trust me, you DON'T want Tinnitus. The noise NEVER stops. As said before, there is no such thing as peace and quiet. When laying in bed at night, it sounds like a turbine engine is running in the room with me ALL THE TIME!

Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question [Re: Chopperdrvr] #8078962 12/07/20 02:04 AM
C
Cajunrotor Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Chopperdrvr
Trust me, you DON'T want Tinnitus. The noise NEVER stops. As said before, there is no such thing as peace and quiet. When laying in bed at night, it sounds like a turbine engine is running in the room with me ALL THE TIME!

And from another ol' former "Chopperdriver", I can second this (unfortunately)!

That aside, if you want hearing protection and listen to your iPhone, audiobook, etc., take a look at the isoTunes bluetooth earbud products. Excellent performance and they do provide real protection.

If you don't mind the over-the-head style earmuffs, the Howard Leight will both amplify ambient sounds and provide protection.

texas

Re: AirPods 2 noise cancelling question [Re: Superduty] #8079006 12/07/20 02:39 AM
D
DoubleDrop32 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I use these in the stand and at home for mowing the lawn

They enhance your hearing as well as protect it (30NRR)

[Linked Image]

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide