Print Thread
AGE ON NEW BUCK #8069368 11/30/20 03:06 AM
D
dlrz71 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
I had this new buck show up and posted in the photo section and everyone was commenting on age so decided to throw a post in here to get some ideas.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: AGE ON NEW BUCK [Re: dlrz71] #8069371 11/30/20 03:08 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

Re: AGE ON NEW BUCK [Re: dlrz71] #8069373 11/30/20 03:12 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Grey deer is way past prime as in 7-8
The bump nine is a rutted down 5-6 year old

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: AGE ON NEW BUCK [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8070409 11/30/20 09:41 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I guess theres a lot of activity in this Deer Hunting section right now cause this post is just a day old and its on the second page. Ive been at lease a few days and trying to catch up and theres too many threads going(not a bad problem). Both these bucks are muture to me if not post mature. Tons of dark stainage but it seems like there is a lot of contrast between dark and light colors across the whole picture so may be something going on with the camera or some enhancing done. Ive got a thread going with two bucks that look like theyve been in mud up to their knees and it is staining but my camera made them look black instead of just dark.
The gray deer is really wide between his front legs and STx taught me to look for that on an older buck.

Last edited by freerange; 11/30/20 09:43 PM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: AGE ON NEW BUCK [Re: freerange] #8070464 11/30/20 10:04 PM
D
dlrz71 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by freerange
I guess theres a lot of activity in this Deer Hunting section right now cause this post is just a day old and its on the second page. Ive been at lease a few days and trying to catch up and theres too many threads going(not a bad problem). Both these bucks are muture to me if not post mature. Tons of dark stainage but it seems like there is a lot of contrast between dark and light colors across the whole picture so may be something going on with the camera or some enhancing done. Ive got a thread going with two bucks that look like theyve been in mud up to their knees and it is staining but my camera made them look black instead of just dark.
The gray deer is really wide between his front legs and STx taught me to look for that on an older buck.

Yeah these are pics I took with my Nikon and edited for better contrast. The new buck definitely has staining all the way down the legs which I have only seen on one other buck on this place and he was 5 and 6. Most of our mature deer just don't get that much staining for whatever reason. The grey deer has always had a huge neck compared to other bucks and is swole up like Arnold rofl

Re: AGE ON NEW BUCK [Re: dlrz71] #8070471 11/30/20 10:09 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by dlrz71

Yeah these are pics I took with my Nikon and edited for better contrast. The new buck definitely has staining all the way down the legs which I have only seen on one other buck on this place and he was 5 and 6. Most of our mature deer just don't get that much staining for whatever reason. The grey deer has always had a huge neck compared to other bucks and is swole up like Arnold rofl

I looked again and the one buck has black down FRONT legs so something with the camera. I have a high quality camera and im very slowly even thinking about getting out of point and shoot mode but its got me paying attention to things like that. You can adjust certain things but it will kind of weird out something else. Photography is definitely not easy to get good at(kinds like golf.)

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: AGE ON NEW BUCK [Re: dlrz71] #8070480 11/30/20 10:13 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

When you see those calluses on the knees it’s a dead give away usually of a post prime buck. 6.5+ I've seen 5 year old get them also but not as prominent as older

They are both fluffed out to intimidate. They grey buck is very loose skinned and that chest is as wide as they get.
The stainning buck is still pretty taught in the face.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: AGE ON NEW BUCK [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8070664 12/01/20 12:13 AM
D
dlrz71 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

When you see those calluses on the knees it’s a dead give away usually of a post prime buck. 6.5+ I've seen 5 year old get them also but not as prominent as older

They are both fluffed out to intimidate. They grey buck is very loose skinned and that chest is as wide as they get.
The stainning buck is still pretty taught in the face.

We have a lot of rocky terrain in our area so 4-5 is when the knees really start to show wear

Re: AGE ON NEW BUCK [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8071350 12/01/20 02:08 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Grey deer is way past prime as in 7-8
The bump nine is a rutted down 5-6 year old

I agree BOBO

I had a hard time with this one but went back to the 3rd pic and even though it's a bad angle to judge the body on his face looks older and his chest is pretty deep. I think he is 5 and the 8 is definitely post mature and needs a bullet

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide