texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Ol Sarge, Djlaw1965, Alphadog, Jordan king, dgrimesag92
67830 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 104,706
bill oxner 76,741
stxranchman 57,099
SnakeWrangler 54,872
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,461
Gravytrain 41,442
BMD 41,092
Forum Statistics
Forums45
Topics593,240
Posts11,159,631
Members82,830
Most Online19,184
Feb 5th, 2020
Print Thread
Tag Application Services? #8066440 11/27/20 04:45 PM
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 430
T
TakeMeLord Online Content OP
Bird Dog
OP Online Content
Bird Dog
T
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 430
Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on tag application services? Pros and cons? Reviews? Thoughts? Are they worth it? PM me if you like. Thanks and God Bless!

Re: Tag Application Services? [Re: TakeMeLord] #8067000 11/28/20 02:05 AM
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 51
W
WRBCGuru Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
W
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 51
what are u tagging?

Re: Tag Application Services? [Re: TakeMeLord] #8067497 11/28/20 05:06 PM
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 397
Q
QMC SW/EXW Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
Q
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 397
Pros: They put you in for the tags and you don't have to worry about missing deadlines.

Cons: They usually want you to book the services through a guide they have a contract with and act like you are a criminal if you say you don't want to. They charge a fee for their service that increases the costs of the tags. They normally only cater to non-resident applications so if you are a resident of the state they don't want your business because you are much less likely to hire their suggested guide.

Frankly in this internet age there is no real reason to use them. Information is readily available and every state has a process for putting in for the tags. You can easily put a reminder in your phone or computer to alert you when the deadlines approach.


Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: Tag Application Services? [Re: QMC SW/EXW] #8067601 11/28/20 06:33 PM
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 590
S
SherpaPhil Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
S
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 590
Originally Posted by QMC SW/EXW
Pros: They put you in for the tags and you don't have to worry about missing deadlines.

Cons: They usually want you to book the services through a guide they have a contract with and act like you are a criminal if you say you don't want to. They charge a fee for their service that increases the costs of the tags. They normally only cater to non-resident applications so if you are a resident of the state they don't want your business because you are much less likely to hire their suggested guide.

Frankly in this internet age there is no real reason to use them. Information is readily available and every state has a process for putting in for the tags. You can easily put a reminder in your phone or computer to alert you when the deadlines approach.


I agree with all of the above.

Re: Tag Application Services? [Re: TakeMeLord] #8068433 11/29/20 03:11 PM
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,151
E
Erny Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
E
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,151
The only reason to use one of these services is you do not have time to do the research. There are tons of resources out there to help you decide where to apply and the odds/points required to draw. I personally consider the research and applying for the hunts to be part of the fun.

Re: Tag Application Services? [Re: TakeMeLord] #8068561 11/29/20 05:25 PM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 829
T
Theringworm Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
T
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 829
“Put you in for the tags and you don’t have to worry about missing deadlines”
“The only reason to use one is you do not have time to do the reasearch”

These are the only advantages? Odd, I reap all kinds of advantages using a TAG service and it’s worth doing so every year.

- PROs:
+ In states where you have to pay for the tag upfront upon applying (New Mexico, Wyoming are a few that come to mind), that fee the service charges you is ALL you pay upfront. If you never draw the tag then you don’t get reimbursed anything because you only paid the service fee. If you do draw the tag, then you will additionally get charged the full tag amount. How is this a benefit? Well if you want to apply for a tag but don’t have the cash flow to do so at the moment it still allows you to play. Definitely not the best business decision if you are just applying for one animal, I.e. an elk which is probably $6-700. Why pay a fee on top of that. However, if you want to apply for elk in multiple states, desert big horn in NM, Rocky MTN big horn in Wyoming plus Bison and MTN Goat, you are looking at likely over $7000 in tags. The service will charge you just a fee, several hundred dollars and then you don’t pay anything more unless the tag is drawn. So if you don’t have $7-10,000 to float applying for tags each year, it definitely broadens your ability to apply for more tags. If applying in states where they only charge you the tag fee upon successfully drawing the tag (I.e CO, UT to name a few), then yes there is zero reason IMO to use a tag service.

+. The true benefit however is the above, plus applying for your children. Many services will apply for any tags for youth for FREE w/ a paid adult application. THIS is worth the price of the service IMO. I have two boys, we apply for what would equal up to $20,000 + worth of tags each year, all for a small fee that ends up costing me about $500-600. Now sure, if we drew all of those tags I would have to pay that $20,000+, however as most know, drawing many of the big game tags is truly like winning the lotto. I am basically buying more lotto tickets to win the jackpot. Once my girls are old enough to get their hunters safety card, I’ll also add them into the application pool. 4 children at a time, all free applications applying for NM, bighorn sheep, trophy elk, mule deer, ibex an antelope then WY, elk, bison, mtn goat, bighorn sheep, antelope, and mule deer. Only costing me a fee on whatever I applied for. I am savings thousands of dollars annually and giving my kids every opportunity to go hunting each year. All for $500-600 service fee. I’ll pay to play.

+ yes they remind you when to apply and make the process easy


Cons

+ yes here is a service fee. Depending on if you a applying with kids or how many and what states you are applying to it could definitely not make sense to use a service. You simply have to do the math

+ yes they have recommended or contracted outfitters they try and steer you towards. Simply ask before applying if that’s in their policy and what leeway or options you have to pick someone of your choosing.


And yes I found that alll on the internet bolt

Last edited by Theringworm; 11/29/20 05:27 PM.
Re: Tag Application Services? [Re: TakeMeLord] #8069258 11/30/20 01:59 AM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 48,856
BOBO the Clown Online Content
decoy
Online Content
decoy
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 48,856
Originally Posted by TakeMeLord
Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on tag application services? Pros and cons? Reviews? Thoughts? Are they worth it? PM me if you like. Thanks and God Bless!


I’ve used Epic, hunting fool and Cabelas. I think they are very worth it.

My favorite is Epic, I’ve NEVER been pressured to use a guide of ANY tag including being on LO tag list.

Some states with major point creep, messing up on just one draw and missing it may put you behind exponentially.


Pro’s- they do unit research, they keep up with season changes, the take care of everything based on what or how you want to hunt. If you are DIY guy no problem, let’s match your physical ability to certain physical level unit etc.

Really only con is cost. I put in for 11 states a year so its nice to hand off the majority of those to someone else. It’s very time consuming.


With that said Epic has a research/ advisory info available with out paying for tag applications, meaning $100 gets you all the units and hunt code info you want but you have to physically do all the applying.

That’s cheap info


Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Tag Application Services? [Re: QMC SW/EXW] #8069267 11/30/20 02:05 AM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 48,856
BOBO the Clown Online Content
decoy
Online Content
decoy
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 48,856
Originally Posted by QMC SW/EXW
Pros: They put you in for the tags and you don't have to worry about missing deadlines.

Cons: They usually want you to book the services through a guide they have a contract with and act like you are a criminal if you say you don't want to. They charge a fee for their service that increases the costs of the tags. They normally only cater to non-resident applications so if you are a resident of the state they don't want your business because you are much less likely to hire their suggested guide.

Frankly in this internet age there is no real reason to use them. Information is readily available and every state has a process for putting in for the tags. You can easily put a reminder in your phone or computer to alert you when the deadlines approach.


I would disagree with almost all of this, I’ve never had the guide issues EVER in 10 plus years.

Only thing I agree on is the Internet age of research but for the states that don’t post draw odds, sex ratios, trophy quality, game survey info, success, etc you still need a subscription to some of the of the other services like Gohunt, epic taghub etc.

If you are retired knock yourself out and spend weeks researching units, triple checking hunt codes etc in every state. Other then that time is money. I’d let experts handle it.






Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Tag Application Services? [Re: TakeMeLord] #8072719 12/02/20 02:14 PM
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,972
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,972
TakeMeLord, have you applied for various hunts in various states on your own? And, if so, what was it about the process that has pushing you to consider a service? Just trying to understand why you're considering one. Maybe with this info you can get better help.


* Vulnerability Researcher and Exploit Developer
* NRA Endowment Life Member
Re: Tag Application Services? [Re: TakeMeLord] #8072827 12/02/20 03:21 PM
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,732
W
Wytex Offline
Pro Tracker
Offline
Pro Tracker
W
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,732
I would say with theringworm, the biggest pro is not having to pay for the licenses at the time you apply. They float that tag cost til you draw then you pay.

The rancher we work for is a member of Hunting Fool, they got him his desert ram tag, well did apps for him. Looking through the magazine they have, lots of chances to win a great hunt for a raffle fee.
I personally would not use them.

Re: Tag Application Services? [Re: Wytex] #8074952 12/03/20 09:52 PM
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 125
S
SENIOR Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
S
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 125
Originally Posted by Wytex
I would say with theringworm, the biggest pro is not having to pay for the licenses at the time you apply. They float that tag cost til you draw then you pay.

The rancher we work for is a member of Hunting Fool, they got him his desert ram tag, well did apps for him. Looking through the magazine they have, lots of chances to win a great hunt for a raffle fee.
I personally would not use them.




That's very interesting

Re: Tag Application Services? [Re: SENIOR] #8076067 12/04/20 03:54 PM
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,732
W
Wytex Offline
Pro Tracker
Offline
Pro Tracker
W
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,732
Originally Posted by SENIOR
Originally Posted by Wytex
I would say with theringworm, the biggest pro is not having to pay for the licenses at the time you apply. They float that tag cost til you draw then you pay.

The rancher we work for is a member of Hunting Fool, they got him his desert ram tag, well did apps for him. Looking through the magazine they have, lots of chances to win a great hunt for a raffle fee.
I personally would not use them.




That's very interesting


Quite eye opening to look through their magazine. Different levels of membership.
These are their current giveaways : https://www.huntinfool.com/win-md-december

Re: Tag Application Services? [Re: TakeMeLord] #8076083 12/04/20 04:02 PM
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,972
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,972
I haven't used a tag service but I use https://www.gohunt.com/ like BOBO the Clown suggested.


* Vulnerability Researcher and Exploit Developer
* NRA Endowment Life Member
Re: Tag Application Services? [Re: TakeMeLord] #8076529 12/04/20 10:22 PM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 425
F
Fitzwho Offline
Bird Dog
Offline
Bird Dog
F
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 425
I use WTA (formerly Cabela's) TAGS application service to cover my New Mexico tag fees, but I still pick all my own units. They did "mistakenly" put me in a guide pool for elk year before last, so I had to pull that application, but they made it right with me. I would not use a service like this to apply for me in all states, because most of the states I apply in do not require that your front the tag fees or are predictable enough that I only front tag fees when I expect to draw. WTA's fees still add up to a signifcant cost depending on how many species you apply for. Especially when you get your refunds pretty quick after the draws come out.

Other services, like Epic Outdoors and Huntinfool will put in for you, but they will not front your tag fees, so that is still coming out of your pocket. They both put out very nice online/print magazines with lots of good information.

Wyoming and Montana require you to front the tag fee, but they also allow you to purchase points later in the year even if you didn't apply in the spring draw. These states are also relatively predictable to draw, so you can buy points for a couple years and know what tag you will draw the next year, so you can front the tag fee knowing that you aren't expecting a refund.

Arizona, Colorado, Utah, and Nevada for example, do not require you front a tag fee, but all require you to purchase a non-refundable hunting license to apply.

I do use GoHunt to do a bunch of my research. There are a few states that I apply in that they do not cover, yet at least.

Last edited by Fitzwho; 12/04/20 10:24 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3