Print Thread
What do you think? #8064095 11/25/20 03:43 PM
S
SB9969 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
Think he needs another year or so or has he reached his peak? I like him even if he isnt super wide. Just curious if he deserves some more time.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: What do you think? [Re: SB9969] #8064099 11/25/20 03:47 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
He looks like he could still put on more mass with good groceries. If you like him choot'em.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: What do you think? [Re: SB9969] #8064102 11/25/20 03:48 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Depends on if he's standing in an AR county.

Re: What do you think? [Re: SB9969] #8064108 11/25/20 03:49 PM
P
papa45 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
P
It's your decision. If you have something better around, I'd suggest you wait. If you're in an AR county, he's probably not legal.

Re: What do you think? [Re: SB9969] #8064111 11/25/20 03:52 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Lot of things can happen from one year to the next...not all of them are good but in some cases it does help to give them one more year.
This buck was from an AR county so he was a pass not matter if I had the tags to take him.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: What do you think? [Re: SB9969] #8064124 11/25/20 03:57 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
He looks like a fat 4 year old to me.. ...

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: What do you think? [Re: SB9969] #8064134 11/25/20 04:03 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Replace the corn in that protein feeder with a high quality protein and give him a few years. Pretty basket rack on a fairly young deer 2cents

Re: What do you think? [Re: SB9969] #8064151 11/25/20 04:14 PM
S
SB9969 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
Thanks for the info and thoughts. Wikk hold off. I thought he was younger but didnt know if I was correct. We are MLD so no AR worries. I dont trust myself sometimes

Re: What do you think? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #8064184 11/25/20 04:34 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
He looks like a fat 4 year old to me.. ...

I have to agree. Still wouldn't hurt to give him at least another. But, like stated above, if you like him take him.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: What do you think? [Re: SB9969] #8064204 11/25/20 05:01 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by SB9969
Thanks for the info and thoughts. Wikk hold off. I thought he was younger but didnt know if I was correct. We are MLD so no AR worries. I dont trust myself sometimes

If you are MLD and have the tags...that is a different ball game when it comes to making decisions on culling. If he is in the lower end of his age class then I would consider taking him...the only way I would leave him is if you have older bucks that are worse than him and tags are needed there. There are a lot of LF ranches that have the tags that take out the low end of the age classes and are very happy with their long term results. Of course you won't read or see their results in any publications...yet.

Re: What do you think? [Re: stxranchman] #8064327 11/25/20 07:02 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by stxranchman

If you are MLD and have the tags...that is a different ball game when it comes to making decisions on culling. If he is in the lower end of his age class then I would consider taking him...the only way I would leave him is if you have older bucks that are worse than him and tags are needed there. There are a lot of LF ranches that have the tags that take out the low end of the age classes and are very happy with their long term results. Of course you won't read or see their results in any publications...yet.

For sure High grading can be a detriment to the deer herd as much as low grading can be a benefit to the deer herd. The problem with each is the number of deer tags needed to make the difference. With MLD and enough tags, you can certainly weed out the low grade bucks in each age class and get overall better deer. It needs to go along with doe management, habitat management, and nutritional management as we all know.

This is the exact opposite of the person on small acre property that uses his place as a day lease and every buck gets shot out and before you know it its just spike and forks every year....

With enough tags (and acreage, and money) almost anything is possible. The problem for the 95+% of us is the tags and acreage...

Re: What do you think? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8064349 11/25/20 07:25 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
You said you "liked him". Im curious how he stacks up against other bucks within the same age class. Curious if you been on there long and how long on MLD. If MLD there should be records of previous kills. I would guess at 4 yrs.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: What do you think? [Re: SB9969] #8064448 11/25/20 08:41 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Nice one

Re: What do you think? [Re: freerange] #8064554 11/25/20 10:14 PM
S
SB9969 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
Originally Posted by freerange
You said you "liked him". Im curious how he stacks up against other bucks within the same age class. Curious if you been on there long and how long on MLD. If MLD there should be records of previous kills. I would guess at 4 yrs.

We have had the place about 12 years. We don't have super giant deer like some people on here. Probably our biggest this year are a few close to 140. I think the biggest we have ever shot off of it was around 165. We have had a couple times in the last 6-7 years where the river flooded and knocked down the fence and we lost some mature deer so have had to start over a little. I guess we more manage it for quantity than quality. I kind of enjoy seeing a lot of deer even if they aren't super giants. This guy is probably the 8-9 biggest I've seen this year but I just liked his rack for whatever reason. But if he may get bigger I don't mind him waiting another year or two. I just wasn't sure he was only 4. If he was a lot older might change my mind.
That's what I like about this forum you guys know a lot more than me and
You learn a lot

Re: What do you think? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8064749 11/26/20 12:12 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye

For sure High grading can be a detriment to the deer herd as much as low grading can be a benefit to the deer herd. The problem with each is the number of deer tags needed to make the difference. With MLD and enough tags, you can certainly weed out the low grade bucks in each age class and get overall better deer. It needs to go along with doe management, habitat management, and nutritional management as we all know.

This is the exact opposite of the person on small acre property that uses his place as a day lease and every buck gets shot out and before you know it its just spike and forks every year....

With enough tags (and acreage, and money) almost anything is possible. The problem for the 95+% of us is the tags and acreage...

There are ways around this and it is being done successfully in many areas of the state. Those people tend to think outside the box and not get caught up and what is written in publications. Their are groups of landowners and hunters working together in those areas that are producing really great deer for their county...year in and year out. You just need to get out and actually visit with these places to see how successful things can be. They are doing this with license tags and not MLD. Years ago Texas set the bar in wildlife management for a reason. They are starting to gain back that standard of great wildlife management that had dipped off. It is creative groups like I posted about above that are taking management of small acreage tracts to a new level...by thinking outside the box. They are just following the lead of what larger land holdings were doing in this state.

Re: What do you think? [Re: SB9969] #8064765 11/26/20 12:22 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

We have had the place about 12 years. We don't have super giant deer like some people on here. Probably our biggest this year are a few close to 140. I think the biggest we have ever shot off of it was around 165. We have had a couple times in the last 6-7 years where the river flooded and knocked down the fence and we lost some mature deer so have had to start over a little. I guess we more manage it for quantity than quality. I kind of enjoy seeing a lot of deer even if they aren't super giants. This guy is probably the 8-9 biggest I've seen this year but I just liked his rack for whatever reason. But if he may get bigger I don't mind him waiting another year or two. I just wasn't sure he was only 4. If he was a lot older might change my mind.
You learn a lot

Is this place HF or LF?

Re: What do you think? [Re: papa45] #8064770 11/26/20 12:25 AM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by papa45
It's your decision. If you have something better around, I'd suggest you wait. If you're in an AR county, he's probably not legal.

up

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
Re: What do you think? [Re: SB9969] #8064778 11/26/20 12:34 AM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
You have a nice main frame 10 with real good brows and t would not surprise me if he was only 3.5. I would let him walk for another 2 years and shoot older main frame 8's or spikes and does.
He might be a real dandy in two more years up

texas flag

Re: What do you think? [Re: SB9969] #8064875 11/26/20 02:02 AM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I’d shoot it

Re: What do you think? [Re: stxranchman] #8064894 11/26/20 02:11 AM
S
SB9969 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S

You learn a lot

Is this place HF or LF?

You learn a lot

Is this place HF or LF?

It's high fenced. Precious owner high fenced it before my grandfather bought it. He passed several years ago so now it's mine to deal with mostly.

Re: What do you think? [Re: SB9969] #8064902 11/26/20 02:18 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Someone is bound to ask so it might as well be me. How big a place is it? You have been forthcoming with a lot of details which is important if you really want advice. This forum is a great place for advise. You have to sift through it sometimes but the good stuff is there. A high fence property carries a lot of responsibility with it. Those deer cannot get out which is great if you manage it right but if not then it can be a death trap. It sounds like you kind of fell into it so we all hope you are up to the task. Keep asking advise and you will get it on here. Best of luck with it.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: What do you think? [Re: freerange] #8064923 11/26/20 02:30 AM
S
SB9969 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
Someone is bound to ask so it might as well be me. How big a place is it? You have been forthcoming with a lot of details which is important if you really want advice. This forum is a great place for advise. You have to sift through it sometimes but the good stuff is there. A high fence property carries a lot of responsibility with it. Those deer cannot get out which is great if you manage it right but if not then it can be a death trap. It sounds like you kind of fell into it so we all hope you are up to the task. Keep asking advise and you will get it on here. Best of luck with it.

We are pretty small place. Only about 300 acres. My grandfather bought it when he was close to 90 so we were both learning on the fly. He probably knew less than me but since he lived on the place he was able to really do a lot as far as maintenance and providing for the deer. He was a good farmer( I am not) so he planted a lot for them. We have about 50 acres for foot plots. I have a friend who plants wheat now, that he harvests , that helps with the nutrition for them deer. I do a lot of protein in the spring / summer and corn in the fall. The deer population is coming back now after the fence issue. I'm learning a lot on here. I know I need to shoot a lot more doe than we do and am working on it. Having the biologist has helped too. Deer seem healthy and fat for now. Appreciate all the advise

Re: What do you think? [Re: SB9969] #8064962 11/26/20 02:54 AM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Not knowing the harvest rules of the ranch, but where I hunt he would get a pass...

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide