Print Thread
Bannister and Moore plantation hunt #8061531 11/23/20 06:47 PM
R
Robert Burden Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
Me and a buddy and my son are planning a spring hunt to this area in hope of getting a few hogs. Never been to Texas and our only experience was a fenced hunt 10 years ago in Tenn. We are coming from Ky. Planning on March or April. Like to avoid the heat and any rainy season as we will only have a few days. Don’t like going in blind but it is about the trip. Getting a few hogs put in coolers will be a plus. Any idea of where to go or any tips appreciated. Doing our own processing. Plan is to skin and take backstraps and hams and if shoulders aren’t blown away a few shoulders. Any nearby WMA’s better or are these good choices. I have spoke to WMA contact. Think his name was Allen. And the local game warden. Both gave me confidence in getting some action. We are semi handicapped so walking or stalking a little won’t be a big issue as long as it isn’t very steep. I was told the Moore Plantation May be a better choice for a early morning or late evening drive to spot then do a short downwind stalk. Any help appreciated. Thanks guy and I am very excited to see you Grand State of Texas.

Re: Bannister and Moore plantation hunt [Re: Robert Burden] #8061595 11/23/20 07:20 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
To keep your options open when you get there, don't rule out Angelina and Sabine national forests which surround those WMAs. Get the maps online from the Forest service before you go and of course make some phone calls when your hunt gets closer. Stay mobile. If you hunting an area and not seeing anything or much hog sign, move to a new area until you do. Don't waste all your time on one area if your not seeing anything or you find there has been too much hunting pressure from others.

Re: Bannister and Moore plantation hunt [Re: Sniper John] #8062014 11/24/20 12:56 AM
R
Robert Burden Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
Ok kinda what I was thinking. For hogs a new area would be 5-10 miles away or half mile to a mile away? What would be their food source that time of year? March-April time frame. There not any crops in that area is there?

Re: Bannister and Moore plantation hunt [Re: Robert Burden] #8062258 11/24/20 03:43 AM
C
Chopperdrvr Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
If I get a chance to get out closer to your visit, I will try to let you know what I have been seeing. I live between the two and try to get out frequently and have seen sign virtually everywhere I go. Good luck with your hunt.

Re: Bannister and Moore plantation hunt [Re: Chopperdrvr] #8062388 11/24/20 11:41 AM
R
Robert Burden Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
Thanks chopper. Is it a hilly area? What’s the temp that time of year?

Re: Bannister and Moore plantation hunt [Re: Sniper John] #8062876 11/24/20 06:13 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Sniper John
To keep your options open when you get there, don't rule out Angelina and Sabine national forests which surround those WMAs. Get the maps online from the Forest service before you go and of course make some phone calls when your hunt gets closer. Stay mobile. If you hunting an area and not seeing anything or much hog sign, move to a new area until you do. Don't waste all your time on one area if your not seeing anything or you find there has been too much hunting pressure from others.

Re: Bannister and Moore plantation hunt [Re: Robert Burden] #8062932 11/24/20 07:05 PM
R
Robert Burden Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
Ok guys I have almost no experience with hogs. When you say move to a new area how far is a new area when it pertains to hogs. Are we talking 1000 yards or 5 miles. Have no idea of there range or how far they travel over night.

Re: Bannister and Moore plantation hunt [Re: Robert Burden] #8062958 11/24/20 07:22 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted by Robert Burden
Ok kinda what I was thinking. For hogs a new area would be 5-10 miles away or half mile to a mile away? What would be their food source that time of year? March-April time frame. There not any crops in that area is there?

Get in the truck and drive to a completely different area to start over kinda distance if your not seeing any fresh hog sign in the general area you are at. There will be no mast, so they will be eating new tender spring vegetation and rooting up stuff. Moist soil bottom land areas or near them are what you want. You should see areas so rooted up, it's tricky to walk on it. You will experience lots of mosquitoes and cottonmouths. Prepare accordingly. Mid day the hogs will be in the thick stuff not moving around much. They will move a lot morning and evening. They will mostly be moving at night. If you find them bedded mid day and bump them out without disturbing them too bad or before you get a chance to shoot, still hunt the spot from down wind at the same time of day on the next day or two. Be respectful and friendly with locals at the gas station, cafe, etc. while you are there. They will sometimes be more than happy to tell you where they are seeing hogs or where they are having a current hog problem. Good luck.

Re: Bannister and Moore plantation hunt [Re: Robert Burden] #8062972 11/24/20 07:33 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Robert, are y'all camping?

Re: Bannister and Moore plantation hunt [Re: Sniper John] #8063350 11/25/20 12:46 AM
R
Robert Burden Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
Oh there’s no doubt we will be respectful. We are a good bunch of hillbilly’s. Very friendly. And we will be staying in local hotels. Not a cheap one but a decent priced one that is reputable. Thanks for the advice. Kinda worried about the water moccasins. Where I’m from there is no venomous snakes.

Re: Bannister and Moore plantation hunt [Re: Robert Burden] #8063515 11/25/20 02:32 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Where I’m from there is no venomous snakes.

If you are from Kentucky, there is no part of the state without them. They may not be common, but they are there.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Bannister and Moore plantation hunt [Re: Robert Burden] #8063541 11/25/20 02:44 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Oh there’s no doubt we will be respectful. We are a good bunch of hillbilly’s. Very friendly. And we will be staying in local hotels. Not a cheap one but a decent priced one that is reputable. Thanks for the advice. Kinda worried about the water moccasins. Where I’m from there is no venomous snakes.

Moccasins won't bother you if you don't bother them. The little guys just don't want to be stepped on. Wear appropriate boots and walk on past them.

Re: Bannister and Moore plantation hunt [Re: Sniper John] #8064084 11/25/20 03:37 PM
R
Robert Burden Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
Guarantee you I won’t fool with them. Probably be trotting past them instead of walking. If I see them.

Re: Bannister and Moore plantation hunt [Re: Robert Burden] #8064632 11/25/20 11:03 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I wouldn't worry much about the snakes. Texas is butt deep in pigs and they enjoy dining on snakes and everything else. My place used to have way too many snakes. When the pigs moved in they pretty well cleaned out all of the snakes. Now, I get kind of excited when I see a snake of any kind. Recently saw rattler on the road and drove carefully around it.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Bannister and Moore plantation hunt [Re: Robert Burden] #8065060 11/26/20 04:48 AM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
If you guys want to kill hogs you should consider booking a night hunt from some of the guys that hunt the wheat fields and pastures around Wichita Falls. They drive past pastures they have permissions on until they spot sounders using thermal scopes. Normally the stalks are 200 to 300 yards in open fields using night vision. That time of year it is common to shoot 4 of 5 hogs each, way more than you will want to clean. About as close to a guarantee as you will get.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: Bannister and Moore plantation hunt [Re: Robert Burden] #8066973 11/28/20 01:43 AM
C
Chopperdrvr Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Gently rolling hills, nothing steep except around creeks. In early March, it can still be chilly, but not often freezing. If you are in late April it can warm up pretty good and everything in between. Check long range forecasts for Pineland, TX before you head this way to get an idea of clothing to bring. It is located between the two areas you are interested in.

Re: Bannister and Moore plantation hunt [Re: Chopperdrvr] #8068214 11/29/20 05:01 AM
R
Robert Burden Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
I wanna thank you guys for all your input!! Hope this pans out and we make the trip. Pretty excited about it. Looking forward to see new areas and experience a diff type of BBQ. Also I was asked if we would see any gators. Are there Gators in this area?

Re: Bannister and Moore plantation hunt [Re: Robert Burden] #8068969 11/29/20 11:14 PM
C
Chopperdrvr Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
In my back yard. Seriously, I lost a dog to a 12 ft gator a few years ago. Lake Sam Rayburn has plenty, but you probably won't see any while hunting. There aren't any large waterways in either of the areas you are going to.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide