Print Thread
Small Acreage hunting/Unicorns #8053053 11/17/20 01:15 AM
F
Fltmedic Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
F
This isn’t an ad for land, just posing questions. I’m considering starting a search for land to purchase next year for recreational use. The areas I will be looking range from reasonable to expensive, between Uvalde and Fredricksburg/Junction could also be a contender. I know it’ll be smaller somewhere between 15-40 acres on average. If I head to Rocksprings I might be able to get between 50-80 acres depending on when I look but I’d like to stay closer to SA for personal reasons. Plus I would really like it to be close enough to make quick trips for a hunt or to just get away.

Things I’d want would be free roaming exotics, don’t have to be in great number because I know on smaller properties they’re just passing through. I would like for it to have a drilled well if it needs a pump and electric I’d be okay with that. In a perfect situation it would be something someone else has neglected or a failed homestead that the family is just looking to get out from under thats under ag or wildlife but that’s gonna be hard to come by I’m sure.

Some questions for those of you who have pulled the trigger and bought a small acreage place what are some pros/cons of owning smaller places outside of neighbors and hunting pressure. Also what are some things you wished you would have done differently or considered before buying.

For brokers, agents, land men how often do these unicorns come up? Where are some good places to look?

Don't take life so seriously, you'll never make it out alive!
Re: Small Acreage hunting/Unicorns [Re: Fltmedic] #8053110 11/17/20 02:00 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
First question is....what’s your budget?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Small Acreage hunting/Unicorns [Re: Fltmedic] #8053140 11/17/20 02:20 AM
S
StraitShot Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I understand your dream perfectly and I hope you are successful, love the area you are thinking about. My nephew did the Ag exemptions and MLD for his former boss. They aren't difficult to manage from what I saw but your paperwork has to be in order. As you know finding the property is always the game. When my wife and I were still newlyweds we were passing through Abilene, where my uncles and cousins ranch and farm. Stopped at a place for a bite to eat. On the way out I thought I'd ask the cahier if she knew how much an acre of land was going for.... She just looked at me and smiled.... said "Honey, around here we don't sell land by the acre, we sell it by the section !". That was my first introduction to West Texas real estate.

Re: Small Acreage hunting/Unicorns [Re: Fltmedic] #8053216 11/17/20 03:05 AM
F
Fltmedic Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
F
TxTrophy85, great question would like to be under $150k. Depending on how much I can save before the purchase it could be more. Definitely not looking to buy before next summer. Wanna put money away and have a chance to make it happen.

Yeah west Tx is a different animal, awesome country though!

Re: Small Acreage hunting/Unicorns [Re: Fltmedic] #8053465 11/17/20 01:40 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
You are gonna probably be in Edwards or Val Verde County, about as close to SA that you will get

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Small Acreage hunting/Unicorns [Re: Fltmedic] #8053689 11/17/20 03:57 PM
H
Hookem87 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
FltMedic: This year I purchase 230 acres outside Rocksprings. And fulfilled a life long dream. I searched all over the state for hunting/recreational property, and found that Edwards County was the best bang for your buck. The distance was a concern when started looking at properties, but found that I prefer being further away, and more remote. That's just my preference. There is plenty of exotic game to hunt. I avoided any property within sub-divisions. Find you a good realtor. I used Western Hill Country Realty. They were great folks. Most of all be patient, and look at a lot properties.

Re: Small Acreage hunting/Unicorns [Re: Fltmedic] #8053708 11/17/20 04:11 PM
F
Fltmedic Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
F
Hookem87 I look at their listings often, they have some great properties. Congrats on your purchase and achieving that life long dream! It’s a dream of mine as well, I think patience is key!

Re: Small Acreage hunting/Unicorns [Re: Fltmedic] #8053776 11/17/20 05:13 PM
68A Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Bought a small place (60 acres) about a year ago. A few things to keep in mind:
1. See if you can meet the neighbors before purchase. Mine are great people, will text me if something is out of the ordinary and lend a hand if I get in a bind.
2. Consider the equipment cost needed for upkeep beforehand and budget accordingly.
3. Captain obvious on this one, but put boots on the ground and walk the entire place before buying. Keep your eyes open for deer sign
4. I’ve created “sanctuary” areas, places on the property I do not disturb. This year, I will not be pulling the trigger on a deer unless my oldest wants to, but no intentions of taking one barring a exceptional buck stepping out. I’ve been shooting as many pigs as possible. The neighboring places get a fair amount of hunting pressure but are not leased, so I am keeping my traffic on the place minimal for now. Plan is to get food plots started in the spring and turn it into a spot that will keep deer in the area. I spent time looking at topo maps and satellite images for possible bedding areas, after walking the place I found a piece of the property is a major travel corridor and holds good bedding cover. It has transitions from newer stands of timber to mature oaks with a couple small pastures. Also good elevation change with some creek bottom area and some minor ridges that I know are used for travel. It’s a long term goal for me. I knew it wasn’t a place I’d buy and immediately start killing good deer. I approached the buying process with that mindset.

Patience is key but have cash in hand for when the right place comes up.
Disclaimer-I did not purchase property in the area you’re interested in.

Last edited by 68A; 11/17/20 05:24 PM.
Re: Small Acreage hunting/Unicorns [Re: 68A] #8053805 11/17/20 05:36 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by 68A
Bought a small place (60 acres) about a year ago. A few things to keep in mind:
1. See if you can meet the neighbors before purchase. Mine are great people, will text me if something is out of the ordinary and lend a hand if I get in a bind.
2. Consider the equipment cost needed for upkeep beforehand and budget accordingly.
3. Captain obvious on this one, but put boots on the ground and walk the entire place before buying. Keep your eyes open for deer sign
4. I’ve created “sanctuary” areas, places on the property I do not disturb. This year, I will not be pulling the trigger on a deer unless my oldest wants to, but no intentions of taking one barring a exceptional buck stepping out. I’ve been shooting as many pigs as possible. The neighboring places get a fair amount of hunting pressure but are not leased, so I am keeping my traffic on the place minimal for now. Plan is to get food plots started in the spring and turn it into a spot that will keep deer in the area. I spent time looking at topo maps and satellite images for possible bedding areas, after walking the place I found a piece of the property is a major travel corridor and holds good bedding cover. It has transitions from newer stands of timber to mature oaks with a couple small pastures. Also good elevation change with some creek bottom area and some minor ridges that I know are used for travel. It’s a long term goal for me. I knew it wasn’t a place I’d buy and immediately start killing good deer. I approached the buying process with that mindset.

Patience is key but have cash in hand for when the right place comes up.
Disclaimer-I did not purchase property in the area you’re interested in.

good advice

Re: Small Acreage hunting/Unicorns [Re: Fltmedic] #8053845 11/17/20 05:57 PM
F
Fltmedic Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
F
Thank you 68A for the advice, definitely keeping costs for implements necessary for upkeep in mind. I’ve got access to some equipment now which will help but purchasing my own will need to be part of the equation in the future as I don’t want to rely on others. I agree talking to neighbors and establishing rapport is vital to success regardless of your intentions with the land.

I have the same mindset, I don’t wanna rush in and start slaughtering deer. I want to do what I can to increase my chances of having game to hunt for the long term, that’s one of the reasons I’m seeking land with exotics. Gives me a chance to hunt year round as opportunities permit and a chance to get some great meat and not pressure the place over WT season.

That and just having a place for my girls to enjoy now and when I’m gone. They enjoy the outdoors just not hunting but I want to keep that love for the outdoors alive and give them a place to bring their families when the time comes.

Re: Small Acreage hunting/Unicorns [Re: Fltmedic] #8053920 11/17/20 06:44 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Heres an example of what you can find. However in my experience, the add says, electricity near the property.
That means you don't have it and you can't afford to get it. In most cases, bringing in electricity is cost prohibitive
https://www.landsoftexas.com/property/58.11-acres-in-Edwards-County-Texas/7851969/

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Small Acreage hunting/Unicorns [Re: Fltmedic] #8053962 11/17/20 07:17 PM
68A Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Fltmedic
Thank you 68A for the advice, definitely keeping costs for implements necessary for upkeep in mind. I’ve got access to some equipment now which will help but purchasing my own will need to be part of the equation in the future as I don’t want to rely on others. I agree talking to neighbors and establishing rapport is vital to success regardless of your intentions with the land.

I have the same mindset, I don’t wanna rush in and start slaughtering deer. I want to do what I can to increase my chances of having game to hunt for the long term, that’s one of the reasons I’m seeking land with exotics. Gives me a chance to hunt year round as opportunities permit and a chance to get some great meat and not pressure the place over WT season.

That and just having a place for my girls to enjoy now and when I’m gone. They enjoy the outdoors just not hunting but I want to keep that love for the outdoors alive and give them a place to bring their families when the time comes.

Your last paragraph says it all. In the end it’s not about seeing my dream and hard work pay off, it’s an inheritance I will pass on to my sons, Lord willing.

Re: Small Acreage hunting/Unicorns [Re: Fltmedic] #8053963 11/17/20 07:17 PM
D
dustyhog Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
Funny I was looking at land in the same area and had some of the same questions.

Re: Small Acreage hunting/Unicorns [Re: Fltmedic] #8054059 11/17/20 08:35 PM
F
Fltmedic Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
F
Dustyhog feel free to share any insight you have.

Re: Small Acreage hunting/Unicorns [Re: Fltmedic] #8054090 11/17/20 08:59 PM
P
Papalote Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
Power to the place could be expensive. Understand that before buying.

Re: Small Acreage hunting/Unicorns [Re: Fltmedic] #8054360 11/18/20 12:13 AM
R
Ringtail Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Access to the property is important. Need to check if it's deeded easement, non deeded entryway or the best of course, off a county road or highway. Does the road into the property get flooded out at times? Check the flood plains. Any mineral rights or surface rights only. Hard to get any mineral rights these days but sometimes negotiable. Some owners leave good stands and/or feeders in place. Mine left a great three person cedar stand on the property we bought. They left several feeders with winches although I have changed to mostly newer ones. As someone mentioned, the equipment needed is an added cost but you seem to have a head start on that. Good luck!

Re: Small Acreage hunting/Unicorns [Re: Fltmedic] #8054431 11/18/20 01:17 AM
F
Fltmedic Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
F
Ringtail thanks for the advice definitely something to keep in mind regarding easements. Definitely want something I can get to easily so I don’t get stuck out there or can’t make it to the property as well.

Paplote thank you as well, keeping options open for electricity on site or close by to reduce some costs.

Re: Small Acreage hunting/Unicorns [Re: Fltmedic] #8055503 11/18/20 09:55 PM
M
machinist Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Maybe I can give away some secrets on electricity since I spent 35 years working in the industry. You may not believe it but most of the time you can nogociate putting in electricity especially if there is more than 1 server in the area. ALL of the electric companies need customers. If you get a Co. Rep out to make a bid and you don't like it (you won't) contact the company and tell them you didn't like the bid. Tell them you want someone else to look at it before you call another provider. Be just as hard nosed as they are. An example is a guy that worked at the plant where I worked needed about a mile and a half of line run to a property he had leased to run cattle on. Company came out and the guy said $6,000. Ken told him where he could put that offer. He called and asked for another bid and they tried to play hardball so he called another provider. Long story short he got everything done including the meter mounted for less than $1,000.

some people like silver and gold
I like brass and lead with a little powder in between
Re: Small Acreage hunting/Unicorns [Re: Fltmedic] #8055686 11/19/20 12:48 AM
F
Fltmedic Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
F
$1k he stole that service! I’ll have to keep that in mind, thank you Machinist.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide