Print Thread
Where to go to find a lease? #8053230 11/17/20 03:18 AM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I've never had to lease because I hunt my dads land, but things out there haven't been great of late. Seems like the deer population is down. Where does one begin to look for a lease? Appreciate any advice.

Re: Where to go to find a lease? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8053235 11/17/20 03:29 AM
F
Fltmedic Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Any and all resources you have. Here other hunting forums, FB hunting pages, Chamber of Commerce in the county/town you wanna hunt. Ask friends family that hunt or knows someone who hunts. I’ve never asked ppl in small towns in restaurants but apparently that can work. I’ve asked in feed stores but have had no luck with that.

It’s hard I’m at the point where I’m looking for Something small to buy and go from there.

Don't take life so seriously, you'll never make it out alive!
Re: Where to go to find a lease? [Re: Fltmedic] #8053268 11/17/20 04:03 AM
S
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Fltmedic
Any and all resources you have. Here other hunting forums, FB hunting pages, Chamber of Commerce in the county/town you wanna hunt. Ask friends family that hunt or knows someone who hunts. I’ve never asked ppl in small towns in restaurants but apparently that can work. I’ve asked in feed stores but have had no luck with that.

It’s hard I’m at the point where I’m looking for Something small to buy and go from there.

I was thinking the same thing, I would rather not get tied up in a property, but it seems hard to find a lease. I might have to buy my own piece. My buddy, and I are on the lookout if we can't find anything this year, I guess ill have to go to plan B.

Last edited by S.A. hunter; 11/17/20 04:05 AM.
Re: Where to go to find a lease? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8053290 11/17/20 04:24 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Real good leases can be hard to find for sure. However it can be done. Past my bedtime but I’ll offer tips another time. You really need to determine what you want to get out of a lease and what you’re willing to put into it. Most everything comes down to money, so about what is your budget?

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Where to go to find a lease? [Re: freerange] #8053594 11/17/20 03:04 PM
S
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by freerange
Real good leases can be hard to find for sure. However it can be done. Past my bedtime but I’ll offer tips another time. You really need to determine what you want to get out of a lease and what you’re willing to put into it. Most everything comes down to money, so about what is your budget?

I am looking for a year round lease with deer, and hogs. I'm willing to put in work, and anything more then 5k I think I would be better off buying my own piece of land.

Re: Where to go to find a lease? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8053824 11/17/20 05:42 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
You can get on a GOOD lease within that budget. Being from SA if you go south then that budget can get strained if you really want on a quality lease. If youre willing to go all directions North it will be much more doable.
Rather to buy land to hunt or lease land to hunt can be a debate on here that will take on a life of its own. Too many variables that are specific to each person to really address it well on a forum. Personally, my situation I do not want to own my own place cause I am serious about hunting big mature deer and its very difficult to do on small properties, What everyone likes about owning their land is having control but your neighbors CAN(usually will) destroy anything you try to do from a management standpoint. I also like to hunt places with many thousands of acres from a enjoyability standpoint as well as being able to manage the herd. NOT everyone puts a premium on that. If you just want a place to get away and shoot does and small/young bucks then that is fine and you can do it on a few hundred acres. Also the aspect of owning land for an investment has a lot of merit but then i dont consider that owning to hunt.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Where to go to find a lease? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8053889 11/17/20 06:22 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Good=$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
OK=$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Kicking Rocks only lease=$$$$$$$$

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: Where to go to find a lease? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8053907 11/17/20 06:37 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
you start offering $1000 - $1500 finders fee

I bet you'll have some very good leads coming your way

money talks

Re: Where to go to find a lease? [Re: freerange] #8054668 11/18/20 06:28 AM
S
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
You can get on a GOOD lease within that budget. Being from SA if you go south then that budget can get strained if you really want on a quality lease. If youre willing to go all directions North it will be much more doable.
Rather to buy land to hunt or lease land to hunt can be a debate on here that will take on a life of its own. Too many variables that are specific to each person to really address it well on a forum. Personally, my situation I do not want to own my own place cause I am serious about hunting big mature deer and its very difficult to do on small properties, What everyone likes about owning their land is having control but your neighbors CAN(usually will) destroy anything you try to do from a management standpoint. I also like to hunt places with many thousands of acres from a enjoyability standpoint as well as being able to manage the herd. NOT everyone puts a premium on that. If you just want a place to get away and shoot does and small/young bucks then that is fine and you can do it on a few hundred acres. Also the aspect of owning land for an investment has a lot of merit but then i dont consider that owning to hunt.

Appreciate, the insight. I just want to get away and hunt. Not really concerned about trophies. If I could hog hunt, and take down a couple of deer every year, I'd be a happy man.

Re: Where to go to find a lease? [Re: freerange] #8056739 11/19/20 07:12 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
. If you just want a place to get away and shoot does and small/young bucks then that is fine and you can do it on a few hundred acres. Also the aspect of owning land for an investment has a lot of merit but then i dont consider that owning to hunt.

I can show you so, so many examples where that is not the case.

Don't know what area you are located on but you can kill quality mature deer on smaller acreage landholdings. Majority of the state is not huge ranches anymore, is been parceled up considerably.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Where to go to find a lease? [Re: txtrophy85] #8056857 11/19/20 09:13 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
. If you just want a place to get away and shoot does and small/young bucks then that is fine and you can do it on a few hundred acres. Also the aspect of owning land for an investment has a lot of merit but then i dont consider that owning to hunt.

Don't know what area you are located on but you can kill quality mature deer on smaller acreage landholdings. Majority of the state is not huge ranches anymore, is been parceled up considerably.

TxTro, with all due respect, I said "its difficult to hunt big mature deer on small acreage". Maybe I should of said "consistently". I know it happens a lot, but surely you agree its much more likely on a big property and/or with the right neighbors. I wasnt wanting to get into a deer management discussion with SA, I just wanted to offer my opinion on owning and hunting a small property versus leasing a big property.

Re: Where to go to find a lease? [Re: freerange] #8056903 11/19/20 10:16 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

TxTro, with all due respect, I said "its difficult to hunt big mature deer on small acreage". Maybe I should of said "consistently". I know it happens a lot, but surely you agree its much more likely on a big property and/or with the right neighbors. I wasnt wanting to get into a deer management discussion with SA, I just wanted to offer my opinion on owning and hunting a small property versus leasing a big property.

lots of big ranches with alot of lease hunters that shoot'em up. And there are pockets of smaller and mid-size tracts ( smaller being relative, I'm talking 75-150 acres on the low end to 350-500 acre tracts ) that produce mature bucks consistantly due to good neighbor practices.

I lease a place, just under 200 acres that I have no problem killing mature deer. Neighbors range from 35-150 acres with one 500+ acres. Lower hunting pressure and a high deer density is the key. Its not just a place to "get away and shoot does and small/young bucks"....mature bucks are in abundance, but although the neighbors hunt, they don't seem to do so in great numbers

Pro's and Cons to leasing vs. hunting and the right lease can give you access to a lot of land ( that you will share with others ) but good large leases are harder to come by as well and it may make more sense to Buy a smaller tract than leasing a big one.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Where to go to find a lease? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8070549 11/30/20 10:53 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
SA, my lease is over 4 hours north of you so maybe too far. I never know at this time of year if I have openings. Its a big place with lots of guys so sometimes something will open up. However, usually we can fill a spot from within and ideally thats best. Another consideration for you, or anyone, is that we have a great lease because I am very picky about making sure a prospective new member will fit in with our group and our mindset/philosophy/goals. However, I am reaching out to you because I like most all of what I have seen you post on various topics(mostly OT). If you wanted to be proactive, even though its somewhat of a long shot, then feel free to pm me and maybe we can see how we mesh.

Re: Where to go to find a lease? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8080453 12/08/20 02:34 AM
N
Nick1 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
Hey SA, I’m in San Antonio too...if you find something, and need a partner, let me know. I’ve been looking for a little while too.

Re: Where to go to find a lease? [Re: Nick1] #8083448 12/10/20 06:08 AM
S
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Nick1
Hey SA, I’m in San Antonio too...if you find something, and need a partner, let me know. I’ve been looking for a little while too.

You got it, and if you need someone let me know.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide