Page 1 of 2 1 2
Scent and Noise from a Box Blind #8052593 11/16/20 07:15 PM
P
papa45 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
P
I have rifle blinds that face different directions on my lease. When deciding which one to hunt, I always try to pick the one that has the wind in my face or not more than 90 degrees from the feeder, to minimize scent and noise at the feeder. There may be other factors to consider, such as a known trail or recent activity, but wind direction is usually the prime consideration. Some times when there is little or no wind, it might be a tossup.

In your opinion, when does wind direction no longer become a factor? Less than _ mph? Over _ mph? Feeder 100, 150, 200 yards away or more? Ever?

Re: Scent and Noise from a Box Blind [Re: papa45] #8052637 11/16/20 07:44 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
To me its always a factor. We set all of our blinds/feeders up east/west of each other. Our prevailing winds are north and southeast, so no matter what we dont have an issue with blind/feeder wind.

We have senderos out all directions from some of the blinds and those we only feed the ones right for the wind.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Scent and Noise from a Box Blind [Re: papa45] #8052649 11/16/20 07:53 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I may be in the minority but I don’t worry with the wind a whole lot. Try to go as scent free as possible and use an Ozonics, I haven’t been winded this year and I’ve had a ton of deer straight down wind. A few knew something wasn’t exactly right but not a single one was alerted enough to blow or run off. Just stare for a minute and continue on thr way.

Re: Scent and Noise from a Box Blind [Re: papa45] #8052654 11/16/20 07:56 PM
W
Walkabout Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
In my younger days I watched a young buck quartering into the feeder. In a ground blind with a light breeze from my back. At 70 yards you would have thought an alarm went off when he winded me. So 70 yards is no problem for deer. If I hunt a blind I button up except for one window no matter where the wind is.

Re: Scent and Noise from a Box Blind [Re: papa45] #8052664 11/16/20 08:04 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
In my humble opinion, I find scent to be a much larger factor than noise. Like you said, I always try to hunt upwind, or at least some level of crosswind from feeders. A couple of my feeders are in heavily wooded areas, so getting a blind more than 75 or so yards from the feeder can be an issue, with bow blinds being more like 40, but with favorable winds I don't find it to be a problem. To me, if they get a scent, they're gone. Noise is a bit more forgiving if within reason - a creak of a chair may get them looking and wary, but they don't scatter immediately - a second creak will get them moving. Getting silhouetted when they happening to be looking is a deal breaker as well.

Saturday afternoon the wind was whipping from the south, so even rifle hunting, I decided to sit in a bow blind facing directly south. I had 2 bucks (non-shooters) and 4 does camped out for more than 45 minutes, and with that wind covering scent and noise, even though I was pretty close (maybe 10 yards at times), they never really even looked my way with suspicion.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Scent and Noise from a Box Blind [Re: papa45] #8052666 11/16/20 08:05 PM
S
Sparta Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
At our place, young deer just don't care. I've gone as far as getting out of the blind to take a wiz. Most took off (some didn't) but within 30 mins they were all back.

Now the same can't be said for older deer. I've killed very few older deer in the feed pen (buck or doe). They're around but will stay just out of sight of the feeder and blind. I have several ladder stands setup all around my feeder and blind on travel paths. You most definitely have to play the wind when hunting up close and personal from the stand when after the old weary doe or trophy buck.

I agree that if I'm in a fully enclosed blind 100+ yards away that it doesn't matter much.

Re: Scent and Noise from a Box Blind [Re: papa45] #8052667 11/16/20 08:07 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
This deer is about 6 yards away and if I knew how to post t video you could hear all the noise I was making moving around in a popup. This was Saturday morning.

[Linked Image]

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Scent and Noise from a Box Blind [Re: Sparta] #8052672 11/16/20 08:11 PM
S
Sparta Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Sparta
At our place, young deer just don't care. I've gone as far as getting out of the blind to take a wiz. Most took off (some didn't) but within 30 mins they were all back.

Now the same can't be said for older deer. I've killed very few older deer in the feed pen (buck or doe). They're around but will stay just out of sight of the feeder and blind. I have several ladder stands setup all around my feeder and blind on travel paths. You most definitely have to play the wind when hunting up close and personal from the stand when after the old weary doe or trophy buck.

I agree that if I'm in a fully enclosed blind 100+ yards away that it doesn't matter much.

Now during off season you see every trophy on the property in the feeder pens. They disappear a few days before bow open. It's like the know the exact date to get outta dodge.

Re: Scent and Noise from a Box Blind [Re: papa45] #8052818 11/16/20 09:54 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
IMO wind is always a consideration, but most of our blinds unfortunately hunt against the prevailing wind. I have two neutral blinds, two that are favorable, and five that are negative for our primary wind (SE to SW). I did do some hand-corn the other day for a specific stand, but only corned the sendero that the wind favored.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Scent and Noise from a Box Blind [Re: papa45] #8052834 11/16/20 10:09 PM
J
jskin Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Sure it matters in some cases and I’m always paranoid about it but there’s been plenty of noise being made, scent from me, food, the heater etc and it didn’t mean a dang thing to the deer 75-100 yards away. I’ve banged the side with my gun, chair squeaked, snored, coughed and the deer didn’t pay any attention. But yes I still try to be careful with it all.

"While we are postponing, life speeds by"

Re: Scent and Noise from a Box Blind [Re: papa45] #8052888 11/16/20 10:57 PM
S
sbushee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Doesn’t matter on our place. My brother parks his truck right under his blind and it doesn’t bother the deer in the least.
When I bow hunt, I worry about scent and wind but not with a rifle

Re: Scent and Noise from a Box Blind [Re: papa45] #8052894 11/16/20 11:01 PM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
People worry to durn much.

They are dressed from head to foot (hat to boots) in camo sitting in a box blind. What are the deer going to see in a box blind?

Curious part, in the pictures, the deer are not tagged per the regulations.

Look at the pictures of youngsters this week, what deer are tagged? What are they learning about following the rules?

Re: Scent and Noise from a Box Blind [Re: papa45] #8052901 11/16/20 11:07 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I walked into the stand I hunted opening morning. I walked down a shredded road grass a couple inches tall and dirt in the ruts didn't stop, didn't pee, didn't do anything but walk through. As the sun was coming up a doe came out on a trail and crossed where i walked froze, sniffed the ground and snorted blew and turned around and left. She was south of me with a south wind blowing. Its tuff to get in without leaving a trail behind somewhere. Different deer react to it differently as well.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Scent and Noise from a Box Blind [Re: fishdfly] #8052905 11/16/20 11:12 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by fishdfly

They are dressed from head to foot (hat to boots) in camo sitting in a box blind. What are the deer going to see in a box blind?

Look at the pictures of youngsters this week, what deer are tagged? What are they learning about following the rules?

Instead of hijacking this thread, why don't you start a new one to address your concerns? I think most people (including me) take pics immediately upon finding the deer, then set about tagging, dressing, etc.

Re: Scent and Noise from a Box Blind [Re: unclebubba] #8052920 11/16/20 11:25 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by unclebubba

Instead of hijacking this thread, why don't you start a new one to address your concerns? I think most people (including me) take pics immediately upon finding the deer, then set about tagging, dressing, etc.

And, if it's MLD, they can wait to tag back at camp, or wherever the LO holds the tags.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Scent and Noise from a Box Blind [Re: papa45] #8052972 11/17/20 12:12 AM
Adchunts Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Depends on the deer, and the place. Grew up hunting a military base in Arkansas, and those deer were super spooky. Anything out of the ordinary (sight, smell, sound) and they headed for the next county immediately. Hunted other places that deer seemed almost tame, and you couldn’t hardly run them off. Had family Thanksgiving at my house out in the country a few years back, and a small buck wandered through the front yard while a dozen people were on the front porch talking and smoking. In broad daylight at 15 yards. Deer didn’t care at all.

Re: Scent and Noise from a Box Blind [Re: papa45] #8053007 11/17/20 12:38 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
I have found you can cough, sneeze and even shoot your gun, but open one Velcro closure and everything alerts.

Re: Scent and Noise from a Box Blind [Re: papa45] #8053105 11/17/20 01:57 AM
G
gtrich94 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
In my experience, unless your shouting in the blind, noise at 100 yards won’t be noticed. Think of it this way, if you are standing in the end zone on a football field, can you hear people carrying on a normal conversation in the other end zone? Probably not. Movement on the other hand is noticeable. Especially if you get highlighted by light coming in the blind behind you.

Thanks,
Rich
Re: Scent and Noise from a Box Blind [Re: papa45] #8053160 11/17/20 02:30 AM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Around here, gunfire doesn’t seem to run deer off. I had a doe and fawn walk in front of my 100 yard target last week when I was checking my scope POI. I waited till they got 20 yards over to the yard feeder and cranked off a round. A bullseye, and the deer jumped 3 feet in the air and went back to earring corn. That wasn’t the first time that happened.

But, smelling me will cause them to slink off.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Scent and Noise from a Box Blind [Re: 603Country] #8053203 11/17/20 02:58 AM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Bow hunting is different for sure. Rifle hunting I like to set up feeders as far away as is practical for all sensing purposes. I also consider the wind but I dont feel the wrong wind will be an absolute deal killer in an enclosed blind at 150 yards. We also try to have the option of road corning different directions but we do that at a distance as well.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Scent and Noise from a Box Blind [Re: papa45] #8053207 11/17/20 03:00 AM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
It’s funny what some deer care about and what others don’t. I have deer that come in so spooky that any cricket would make them run. Others will come straight down wind of me while I am moving in the tree stand and they don’t give a dang.

I have most all my stands set up for archery, given that’s the majority of hunting we do in OK, so movement and wind direction are always a consideration. I have found movement to be a big issue with almost all deer. Noises that are natural are not as impactful as unnatural sounds (metal on metal, Velcro, snaps, etc). We get caught up with talking but you can pretty much converse quietly with deer within 20 yards of you no problem, unless it’s dead calm quiet outside, but any small amount of bug noise, bird chatter, wind pretty much covers small talk.

As far as scent control, I do it, I hunt the wind for sure. But sometimes I am willing to hunt wherever not caring about the wind. One of those times was this weekend with wind blowing 10-15 and gusting more. Any wind over 10 mph will carry your scent away from thermals. Under 10 and thermals come into play. When it’s gusting heavy wind, you rarely have to worry about your scent as it will be so broken up and the deer can’t catch enough of your scent to make it so they know what’s what. But if I know I will be hunting upwind of where I expect deer to show up, then I will spray down with scent spray and use a cover scent (ground earth wafer) .

Re: Scent and Noise from a Box Blind [Re: fishdfly] #8053300 11/17/20 04:36 AM
28 Nosler Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman

As a hat to foot camo wearing dad who posted pics of his sons first deer, I can tell you what my sons and probably many other kids learned this weekend about the rules. After years of lessons on firearms safety and shooting everything from BB guns to center fire rifles, they learned that once an ethical kill is made, the real work begins. They learned how to properly fill out a buck tag and fill out the harvest log on the license. After moving the buck out of cactus for pics he helped properly place the tag before moving him any further. The one that harvested the buck had to help skin and quarter and wash off the meat and learn to handle it with care and respect. Next he got to be involved in taking the meat into the processor and next the head and cape to the taxidermist. I bet many youngsters that hunted this weekend are just like mine and for years have been taught to respect Gods gift of the outdoors and the animals we hunt, the joy of fellowship with friends and family that occurs when fishing and hunting, and that there is more to life than video games. Yes I’m certain the camo helps us in the box blind lol, the kids think it’s so cool to wear camo and maybe we bird hunt, bow hunt, etc and don’t use camo just for the box blind. As for scent and sound, try bow hunting with 9 year old twins!!! Don’t want to sound like a jerk or hijack this thread, that’s not what is intended. Just amazes me that some people can twist great moments and make assumptions that they aren’t being taught properly...rant over!

Re: Scent and Noise from a Box Blind [Re: 28 Nosler] #8053379 11/17/20 12:09 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by TXCC

As a hat to foot camo wearing dad who posted pics of his sons first deer, I can tell you what my sons and probably many other kids learned this weekend about the rules. After years of lessons on firearms safety and shooting everything from BB guns to center fire rifles, they learned that once an ethical kill is made, the real work begins. They learned how to properly fill out a buck tag and fill out the harvest log on the license. After moving the buck out of cactus for pics he helped properly place the tag before moving him any further. The one that harvested the buck had to help skin and quarter and wash off the meat and learn to handle it with care and respect. Next he got to be involved in taking the meat into the processor and next the head and cape to the taxidermist. I bet many youngsters that hunted this weekend are just like mine and for years have been taught to respect Gods gift of the outdoors and the animals we hunt, the joy of fellowship with friends and family that occurs when fishing and hunting, and that there is more to life than video games. Yes I’m certain the camo helps us in the box blind lol, the kids think it’s so cool to wear camo and maybe we bird hunt, bow hunt, etc and don’t use camo just for the box blind. As for scent and sound, try bow hunting with 9 year old twins!!! Don’t want to sound like a jerk or hijack this thread, that’s not what is intended. Just amazes me that some people can twist great moments and make assumptions that they aren’t being taught properly...rant over!

up Let the kids be kids. Some folks just like to criticize. And sometimes they just need more fiber. What a proud papa teaches his child is sacrosanct.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Scent and Noise from a Box Blind [Re: papa45] #8053408 11/17/20 12:41 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I try to put all my blinds 200 yards away from the area I expect the deer to be. Deer herds react differently based on hunting pressure. At 200 yards scent is usually not a factor if you block off the down wind side of the blind.......

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Scent and Noise from a Box Blind [Re: papa45] #8053421 11/17/20 12:54 PM
H
HWY72 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
I try to place blinds in a location out of the prevailing wind path, but deer become acclimated to their environment and if someone is hunting a blind often, then the deer can become acclimated to the scent and noise of the hunters.

Many TX hunters can confirm.
When I used to lease in S TX we would corn the senderos when dropping off hunters at their blinds and it didn't take long for the deer to get used to it and they would be out of the brush and eating corn within seconds, just filing into the sendero and eating the corn behind the vehicle. After the vehicle was gone or parked, many times the deer would work their way down the sendero past the blinds, but when they got within 30-40 yards of the blind they would make a semi circle away from the blind to the very edge of the brush as they were passing by, and then back to the middle once they got past. The deer knew we were there but it just made them a little cautious as opposed to them bolting.

Last edited by HWY72; 11/17/20 12:56 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide