Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Electric Bike worked out good so far #8052213 11/16/20 03:19 PM
Gringocazador Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
I'd been wanting an Electric bike for a few years now. My wife told me, she would have thought I was the last person on earth to buy an Electric bike. I am am not a fan of Electric cars or Electric chainsaws etc. But common sense says its a quite way to get to your stand. Expecially in East Texas, deer spook easy.

Broke a bone in a my foot in Aug. which gave me a good excuse so I bought one. Its worked out pretty good. I ride it about a mile from Camp to my stand. Right up to it and park in the brush. Its really helped with my foot which is still giving me problems, gout set in due to the injury and may have damaged my toe joint. Will know more in a few more weeks when I go back to the dr.

I could ride my 4 wheeler or side by side close to my stand, but East Texas hunting is nothing like South Texas or Hill Country. Its hard hunting and deer are much harder to hunt. But my lease is close to my House in Rayburn County which is close to my bass fishing so it works out.

The biggest surprise was this how fast it is. On flat gound that sucker will boogie. I think I get to my stand just as far or faster than I can on my 4 wheeler. I know its faster than my hunting truck, our roads are rough in many places. With that said, once they get really rough its a different story and I have to be careful and not go to fast. I've have stands in an area with really bad section of road, have not make that run get. One thing about the bike, it can go around, get to the edge where there are no ruts.

I've also got a little much needed exercise by pedaling. Its really easy to ride even without the electric assist. Its also easy to get to the lease, no trailer to hook up in dark or unload a 4wheeler or SxS to tie down which requires a 4 point tie down by law. I have one of those hitch carriers for Harbor Freight, they are rated for 500 pounds. I welded 2 inch receiver hitch adapter on the end of us and mounted my bike carrier I'm gone. I leave my rifle in a soft case and throw over my shoulder. I have saddle bags for my coat and whatever else I take with me. I mounted to flashlights for headlights. Worked out so far. I may look into something brigher.

Someone asked me how are you going to pack a deer or hog on that bike, I said I'm not, going to come back to camp and get my hunting truck and load it on my truck.

Electric bikes are not cheap, but dang site less than a 4wheeler. In my case I have a 97 Tahoe rigged up for hunting and don't have to worry about stratching it. A guy with a nice truck that he hunts our of, 4wheeler my make more sense. In my case getting to my stand, I'll take the electric bike over my 4 wheeler any day. Filling feeders, I'm going to use my truck, SxS or 4 wheeler, although the other day I through a 40 pound sack of corn on the back and rode about a 1/2 mile to my tripod and corned the road and it did just find for one bag.

My hunting and fishing is a big part of my life, always have been so adding an electric bike seemed to make sense. At first I was a little shaky ever though I ride dirt bikes some. But at 64, things are not as steady with bike riding being one of them, but I am getting better at it everytime I climb on it.

[Linked Image]

Thanks, Billy

Thanks, Billy
Re: Electric Bike worked out good so far [Re: Gringocazador] #8052233 11/16/20 03:34 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
My Brother bought one a year ago. They are neat. Quiet and fast. Our place is very hilly and rocky. Last saturday evening coming back from his stand he took a bad tumble. Hyperextended his ankle, fell on his rifle which smacked the ground pretty hard. Took the skin off one of his palms. Be careful on that thing.

Last edited by Erathkid; 11/16/20 03:35 PM.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Electric Bike worked out good so far [Re: Gringocazador] #8052276 11/16/20 03:59 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Yeah, I bought one this summer for same reason. I've ridden it twice to stand so far, both times in the afternoon when there is light. A bit nervous about riding it out in the dark morning, but plan on trying soon. I also do the same, just lay it down on its side in the brush, and even had a coyote walk within 10' of the bike and not pay it any attention.

One thing that is a pain, slinging my rifle over my shoulder for the rough ride. I am going to switch up and carry the lighter and more slingable black gun on my next try. Once I shoot an animal, it is easy to ride back to barn and grab the SxS of tractor to haul in harvest.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Electric Bike worked out good so far [Re: Gringocazador] #8052297 11/16/20 04:15 PM
Gringocazador Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Yeah, riding at night is tricky. I have two small flashlights mounted on my handlebars, but still not brigtht enough. I have get the headlight thing sorted out.

Its much better to carry a rifle in a soft sided case, I just stick my head through the strap. Way better than trying to carry a rifle with a sling on your shoulder. There may be a better way to carry with a rack on the bars, need to figure that out.

Its taking some getting used to but its quite and with my bad foot its really helped me out.

Thanks, Billy
Re: Electric Bike worked out good so far [Re: Gringocazador] #8052394 11/16/20 05:15 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I have been riding my fat bike to the closer stands and it has worked out really well so far. I have one far stand with some serious hills on a back road that I haven’t made the ride to yet, but was just thinking today I need to do something other than driving my Kawasaki mule back there. It’s loud. Just on the way back today I saw two doe jump the fence about 1/4 mile away when I was driving that road.

I have considered converting my bike to electric with a kit. Might do that this spring/summer.

Glad to hear your e-bike is working out well for you!

Re: Electric Bike worked out good so far [Re: Texas buckeye] #8052485 11/16/20 06:11 PM
Gringocazador Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
I looked at converstion kits to convert my wifes bike, but what I saw, cost almost as much as an Electric Bike.

Gravity Monster from Bikeshop Wharehouse it hit you about 1750 to you door. That comes with front forks and decent disc brakes. I had no idea how importnat good brake were until recently.

Thanks, Billy
Re: Electric Bike worked out good so far [Re: Gringocazador] #8052527 11/16/20 06:24 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
nice

Re: Electric Bike worked out good so far [Re: Gringocazador] #8057008 11/19/20 11:22 PM
P
Pat Miller Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
I highly suggest wearing padded gloves when riding. The first thing you're going to scrape up if you spill are going to be your hands/palms. And also a helmet.
Ask me how I know.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide