Print Thread
Thank you for the add in Williamson County #8035470 11/03/20 03:23 PM
J
JaimeB Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
J
First, thank you for the add. I'm glad I found this forum, I've already read several threads that have been very helpful. Here's my short background. Born and raised in Cajun country of southwest Louisiana. Grew up in the fields with a pellet gun and moved up to deer, ducks, dove, squirrel, hunting, fishing, frogging, just everything outdoors. Moved to East Texas in 2005, and fell out of hunting - didn't really know who or where. Fast forward, just moved to Williamson County in the Georgetown area. Decided it was time to dust off the rifle, shotgun, and maybe even use the bow I bought in 2013 and target practiced a little with.

I got my licenses this week, got the Public Hunting Land book and found Granger so far in the book. I am really hoping to get back into deer, dove, maybe ducks and even hogs. Long story short, I really just want to begin by finding a place I can just go walking with a shotgun and if I see squirrel or rabbit, can take a shot.

I own kayaks, my Tahoe is 2WD, no ATV's. So, that's about it. I really just want to get back outdoors and be a Sportsman again hunting. Any suggestions on places to go are welcome. I work in education and so I'm pretty much limited to weekends and holidays.

Be safe and thanks again for the add.

JB

Re: Thank you for the add in Williamson County [Re: JaimeB] #8035691 11/03/20 05:48 PM
W
White Falcon Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
Welcome to East Texas. Where are you located?

Re: Thank you for the add in Williamson County [Re: White Falcon] #8035751 11/03/20 06:11 PM
J
JaimeB Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
J
Thank you WF. I just updated my profile. I started out in NE Texas then moved to the DFW metroplex. We just moved to Georgetown this past summer.

Re: Thank you for the add in Williamson County [Re: JaimeB] #8038442 11/05/20 01:30 AM
R
Reelraider Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
R
Welcome to Georgetown its a awesome area. As for hunting there is a bunch of opportunities on the core land around lake Georgetown but you’ll have to wait till next year to put in. Granger has monster bucks but good luck getting drawn. It’s also cover with ducks but also other hunters. If you put in the work you won’t have a issue finding a spot to fill a cooler with some meat.

Re: Thank you for the add in Williamson County [Re: Reelraider] #8039543 11/05/20 08:39 PM
J
JaimeB Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
J
Thanks Reelraider,
I'm definitely willing to put in the work and do plan to register for Lake Georgetown, Balcones and Granger and others close by. It's been so long since I've been able to just "walk the fields" with a shotgun and I'd just love to drive out to Granger, find a place to park, and just "walk the fields" looking for any permissible game. My main concerns right now is where to park and walk without intruding on other hunters, or walking into an area where there are other hunters and put myself in danger of being shot. Is there an area you suggest I begin if all I want to do is take my shotgun and "get out there"?

As I get more familiar, I also have an outboard boat, kayaks, etc. Deer and Ducks are great for me next year, right now I'm just itching to have a place to walk about and like I mentioned, if I see a squirrel or rabbit or open game, be able to take it.

Thanks again,
JB

Re: Thank you for the add in Williamson County [Re: JaimeB] #8040039 11/06/20 02:42 AM
machine73 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Granger is pretty easy to figure out. It's pretty open in most of the area and you'll be able to see where others are hunting and avoid them. I'll shoot you a PM.

Re: Thank you for the add in Williamson County [Re: machine73] #8040556 11/06/20 04:40 PM
J
JaimeB Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
J
Awesome. Thanks!

Re: Thank you for the add in Williamson County [Re: JaimeB] #8050951 11/15/20 01:01 AM
N
NeKro Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
N
Originally Posted by JaimeB
Thanks Reelraider,
I'm definitely willing to put in the work and do plan to register for Lake Georgetown, Balcones and Granger and others close by. It's been so long since I've been able to just "walk the fields" with a shotgun and I'd just love to drive out to Granger, find a place to park, and just "walk the fields" looking for any permissible game. My main concerns right now is where to park and walk without intruding on other hunters, or walking into an area where there are other hunters and put myself in danger of being shot. Is there an area you suggest I begin if all I want to do is take my shotgun and "get out there"?

As I get more familiar, I also have an outboard boat, kayaks, etc. Deer and Ducks are great for me next year, right now I'm just itching to have a place to walk about and like I mentioned, if I see a squirrel or rabbit or open game, be able to take it.

Thanks again,
JB

Welcome, Im not farm from you I live in Round Rock. I have hit up Granger for mostly fishing but also want to try duck hunting there, only did it once. I have a kayak so I just need to get out there and see what spots look good.

Re: Thank you for the add in Williamson County [Re: NeKro] #8056763 11/19/20 07:39 PM
J
JaimeB Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
J
NeKro, yep, that makes us neighbors. I'm planning to try and get some action in hopefully around Christmas break and after. I'd really just be happy to get any kind of walk-in hunt. I've not had a place for the past several years so it's nice to begin to find places like Granger and others.

Re: Thank you for the add in Williamson County [Re: JaimeB] #8057663 11/20/20 05:04 PM
N
NeKro Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
N
Originally Posted by JaimeB
NeKro, yep, that makes us neighbors. I'm planning to try and get some action in hopefully around Christmas break and after. I'd really just be happy to get any kind of walk-in hunt. I've not had a place for the past several years so it's nice to begin to find places like Granger and others.

cool, maybe we can meet up sometime.

Re: Thank you for the add in Williamson County [Re: JaimeB] #8195525 03/07/21 09:30 PM
C
Cokruszewski Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
I actually just started hunting in November and haven't turned back. I usually go up to Granger to rabbit and squirrel hunt. I've seen a ton of signs of cottontails, hog, and deer. Also been scouting for next duck season. Nice amount of ducks hang out in the area. When I go out there for cottontails I usually always bump something.

New hunter and looking to become an experienced one.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide