Page 1 of 2 1 2
Deer Blind Turned Hog Hunting Blind #8048968 11/13/20 03:12 AM
T
thaechten Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Every year our hogs go nocturnal during deer season, so this year I decided to beat them to it. Once the sun falls down my deer blind turns into a hog blind!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Deer Blind Turned Hog Hunting Blind [Re: thaechten] #8048973 11/13/20 03:22 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Damn, that awesome

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Deer Blind Turned Hog Hunting Blind [Re: thaechten] #8048975 11/13/20 03:22 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
You’re going to freak out the neighbors

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Deer Blind Turned Hog Hunting Blind [Re: BigPig] #8048979 11/13/20 03:24 AM
T
thaechten Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
luckily our neighbors are a good ways away.

Re: Deer Blind Turned Hog Hunting Blind [Re: thaechten] #8048997 11/13/20 03:35 AM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Mighty powerful light, what is it and do the hogs shy away from it?

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Deer Blind Turned Hog Hunting Blind [Re: flintknapper] #8049017 11/13/20 03:51 AM
T
thaechten Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
The light is a predator cannon hunting light bar. It shines out over 1,000 yards so its super bright but it's dimmable from 100% intensity to 0% intensity. I keep it dialed down until I see something. Hogs don't care about it and neither do fox or coyotes. I called a coyote in the night I mounted it, and then called a grey fox in shortly thereafter. Grey's aren't the smartest animals so I don't give much credibility there but the coyote not flinching at it was impressive. I didn't increase intensity all the way, I left it at about 30% for the coyote.

I mixed some molasses and corn and put it out for hogs and they were just steady feasting without caring about me. I had pig fever so didn't take any photos but next time I'll take some video. I'm curious if I turn the intensity all the way up with hogs out there if it would spook them. Might be something worth trying.

Here is link to it
Hunting Light Bar

Re: Deer Blind Turned Hog Hunting Blind [Re: thaechten] #8049296 11/13/20 02:52 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by thaechten
The light is a predator cannon hunting light bar. It shines out over 1,000 yards so its super bright but it's dimmable from 100% intensity to 0% intensity. I keep it dialed down until I see something. Hogs don't care about it and neither do fox or coyotes. I called a coyote in the night I mounted it, and then called a grey fox in shortly thereafter. Grey's aren't the smartest animals so I don't give much credibility there but the coyote not flinching at it was impressive. I didn't increase intensity all the way, I left it at about 30% for the coyote.

I mixed some molasses and corn and put it out for hogs and they were just steady feasting without caring about me. I had pig fever so didn't take any photos but next time I'll take some video. I'm curious if I turn the intensity all the way up with hogs out there if it would spook them. Might be something worth trying.

Here is link to it
Hunting Light Bar

That is badarse. So I need a large solar panel, a marine battery, and this light!

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Deer Blind Turned Hog Hunting Blind [Re: thaechten] #8049355 11/13/20 03:30 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Hogs don't care about it...

Survivors definitely will learn to recognize it for what it is. They will even do it for the dull glow of an 840 nm infrared illuminator. They see the glow and they take off, if they have experienced it before. As long as the hogs are uneducated, you will be fine.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Deer Blind Turned Hog Hunting Blind [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8049369 11/13/20 03:43 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

Survivors definitely will learn to recognize it for what it is.

Fact.

Re: Deer Blind Turned Hog Hunting Blind [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8049431 11/13/20 04:22 PM
T
thaechten Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Yea solar panel is a good idea. I just take lawn mower battery to the deer stand when I'm there hunting and take it back to the house when I leave.

Re: Deer Blind Turned Hog Hunting Blind [Re: dfwroadkill] #8049435 11/13/20 04:24 PM
T
thaechten Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Yea I can see that if the hogs you're hunting are heavily pressured. I've heard about that with an IR illuminator as well.

Re: Deer Blind Turned Hog Hunting Blind [Re: dfwroadkill] #8049436 11/13/20 04:26 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by dfwroadkill

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

Survivors definitely will learn to recognize it for what it is.

Fact.

What about if you left it on all the time? Put a sensor on it so it comes on every night, even when you weren't hunting. Would they put it together that 'Hey, every few weeks, some of us get killed over there'?

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Deer Blind Turned Hog Hunting Blind [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8049453 11/13/20 04:44 PM
T
thaechten Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
I think you're definitely on to something there, could put a photocell sensor on it.

Re: Deer Blind Turned Hog Hunting Blind [Re: thaechten] #8049470 11/13/20 04:56 PM
GNTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Someone smarter than me says green light is better for hogs than red. And that shining the light straight down from above doesn’t spook them as much because it’s the shadow cast from side lights that spook them. I don’t know, but I like that set up you have.

Re: Deer Blind Turned Hog Hunting Blind [Re: GNTX] #8049504 11/13/20 05:37 PM
T
thaechten Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted by GNTX
Someone smarter than me says green light is better for hogs than red. And that shining the light straight down from above doesn’t spook them as much because it’s the shadow cast from side lights that spook them. I don’t know, but I like that set up you have.

Here is the article that turned me onto this light https://outriggeroutdoors.com/blogs...g-a-red-or-green-light-for-night-hunting

Re: Deer Blind Turned Hog Hunting Blind [Re: thaechten] #8049532 11/13/20 06:14 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
https://slowglow.com/ - I just ordered and received this light, but haven't hooked it up or tried it yet. The materials claim it lights up a several hundred sf area with either red or green light. I bought with the battery and solar panel so it comes on every night. Says it remains dim until motion detector triggered then takes 2 full minutes to come to full intensity. I doubt it is nearly as intense than that of Thaecton, but I am eager to try it out soon. Will report back.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Deer Blind Turned Hog Hunting Blind [Re: Dalroo] #8049558 11/13/20 06:39 PM
T
TLew Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Dalroo
https://slowglow.com/ - I just ordered and received this light, but haven't hooked it up or tried it yet. The materials claim it lights up a several hundred sf area with either red or green light. I bought with the battery and solar panel so it comes on every night. Says it remains dim until motion detector triggered then takes 2 full minutes to come to full intensity. I doubt it is nearly as intense than that of Thaecton, but I am eager to try it out soon. Will report back.

I'm in to hear how it works

Re: Deer Blind Turned Hog Hunting Blind [Re: thaechten] #8049703 11/13/20 08:03 PM
P
PoppinPiggies Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
If it came on every night they won't get smart to it. I had several motion sensor green lights on a feeder for several years and after a few days it didn't bother the deer or pigs, it just became normal plus I could then shoot them at night before I got a night vision scope. Also made it real easy, you didn't have to pay attention just kick back, relax, and wait till you see the light come on.

Follow me on instagram @crosstexasoutdoors
Re: Deer Blind Turned Hog Hunting Blind [Re: thaechten] #8049744 11/13/20 08:26 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
My general thought is it's way more than necessary vs having a motion light at the feeder, but I do appreciate the "bigger hammer" approach. I can also appreciate if you're shooting with a standard optic, this setup might allow you a second shot, before they are out of light range.

Where I hunt, there are quite a few feeders with plain 'ol white lights on them for folks with no NV/Thermal, doesn't seem to bother the hogs at all. I think we are more concerned about red/green vs the hogs.

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Deer Blind Turned Hog Hunting Blind [Re: TLew] #8050232 11/14/20 04:51 AM
T
TLew Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TLew

Eh never mind, I just bought two. I'll join the guinea pig race with you

Re: Deer Blind Turned Hog Hunting Blind [Re: thaechten] #8050297 11/14/20 11:46 AM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Wow that lights it up eeks333 How far away (yards) is your feeder from your blind?

texas flag

Re: Deer Blind Turned Hog Hunting Blind [Re: thaechten] #8050346 11/14/20 01:14 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by thaechten
Originally Posted by GNTX

Here is the article that turned me onto this light https://outriggeroutdoors.com/blogs...g-a-red-or-green-light-for-night-hunting

"Better" is truly relative. I have hunted with both. It is easier to see and to target animals with green light than it is with red light, except armadillos, which can appear nearly invisible in green light, LOL. However, being colorblind, the animals don't see the red light as well, either. They still see the light, just not as red. For example, the article noted that as dichromates, they don't see into the red portion of the spectrum which many people confuse with being unable to see the light. However, lots of money has been made in the pet market on selling red laser lights as cat toys. Cats will chase the red dot that is in a portion of the color spectrum they cannot see. My dogs will chase it as well.

People tend to be able to see and target game better, and at greater distances with green lights than with red lights of the same make and amount of power.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Deer Blind Turned Hog Hunting Blind [Re: thaechten] #8050394 11/14/20 02:16 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
😊

Re: Deer Blind Turned Hog Hunting Blind [Re: thaechten] #8050435 11/14/20 02:43 PM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I like that light. Coming on every light helps a lot.
We used landscaping lights tied to the feeder legs till they pooped out. We originally put green plastic on the lens but they fell off so we left them as white light. The pigs did not care, they still came running to the feeder. I think once they accustomed to anything not being a threat they do not care.
Broadcasting the light from the same direction that you are hunting is a big plus.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Deer Blind Turned Hog Hunting Blind [Re: TLew] #8051863 11/16/20 02:43 AM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D

Eh never mind, I just bought two. I'll join the guinea pig race with you

Set it up yesterday afternoon. Easy setup and i built a small pen around it to keep the cows from rubbing against the housing and solar panel. I did not hunt it last night wanting to let it settle down a bit, but i dropped in this morning on the way to another blind. From about 70 yards out, i could see it did light up a considerable area, and i could easily see the crosshairs in my scope. So far, i like it, and the craftsmanship an materials are top notch.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide